Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
This is loving insane and fantastic at the same time. I've always wondered if there is a way to eliminate the current crooked management of FIFA, but I'd never thought the Americans would boldly take on the challenge. The RICO deal sounds quite bad as well... FBI and the Swiss guys would not have gone for such high profile arrests if they didn't have enough dirt to lock these guys away.

The only question is, do they have some dirt on Blatter as well? Because seeing that guy behind bars would be the greatest thing that ever happened in football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

pentyne posted:

Yes. Obviously FIFA couldn't outright say "Drop it or you'll be banned from the world cup" but their influence over football is so massive that any country that cares about it has to play along and wait their turn to bribe the officials.

This actually works both ways... for example when the Russian soldiers shot down the Malaysian Boeing 777 in Ukraine, which was full of Netherlands citizens, there was talk that they might pull out of the 2018 World Cup in Russia as a protest. If you want to stir up some serious poo poo, all you need is two important footballing nations in heart of Europe who might be enemies on the football field, but culturally closer to each other, such as Netherlands and Germany, or Italy and France, to be seriously pissed off at FIFA. If for any reason two countries like that decided to boycott a World Cup, there would be a massive outcry from all over Europe and you can bet that at least some heads in FIFA would roll.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The Swiss are apparently prohibiting Blatter from leaving Switzerland right now.

If that is true, I think Blatter might be very close to a panic attack right now. He has considered himself absolutely untouchable for the past two decades, around the globe. I guess he failed to take into consideration the simple fact that the Americans don't give a poo poo about football. God bless America :911:

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Eel hovercraft posted:

Woah, Putin cracked the case:

This is somewhat significant. Putin doesn't always comment on issues like these, usually it's done by junior ministers in the government or Duma members and such. I'm wondering if there are surprising details coming out regarding Blatter and his warm feelings towards the Putin administration.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Just imagine if Blatter gets arrested right after he is declared the winner for the next term of FIFA presidency.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

The Born Approx. posted:

So in other words, there's really no reason to give a single gently caress about this case? What do I care if FIFA runs itself into the ground through inefficient business practices? Depressing, but not surprising, that this is what the U.S. is going after them for when there are far more egregious issues to consider.

On top of other reasons mentioned here, I wouldn't want those corrupt FIFA crooks anywhere near Football, the King of Sports. I want it to be clean and fair, and it just isn't at the moment.

pentyne posted:

4-500 deaths projected for Qatar to finish their world cup stadiums, a bid that should have never been accepted as its literally impossible to play soccer there during June/July so FIFA moved the world cup to Jan/Feb which will impact the Euro leagues drastically, to which FIFA said "Tough poo poo".

I have no idea how this is supposed to work. And did you guys know that the decision to move the World Cup in Qatar to December came only quite recently? Until that moment they literally thought that it's possible to play football in +45 C weather.

But I have more shocking news. The Estonian representative in FIFA said that there is a small possibility that if Blatter is re-elected, that UEFA might pull out of FIFA and subsequently, from the 2018 World Cup as well.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

What's with all these events (FIFA events, Olympics, F1 races) being awarded to horrible shitholes exclusively, anyway? Can't a halfway decent place put together a decent bribe?

There is less oversight and less public outrcries. Which means more money to the pockets of top FIFA officials and their cronies.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Venmoch posted:

Now adding insult to injury. Looks like the UK's Serious Fraud Office may also be getting involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32931356

I think a lot of people smell blood. This is going to become very interesting in the next few weeks.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Blatter is in a category of his own when it comes oozing loving corruption out of every pore in his body. You can see the crookedness on his ugly face. There are precious few cunts like him in the world. Berlusconi is another one that comes to mind. And Henry Paulson.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

Part of me is worried super loving excited that somehow, all of the FIFA execs are going to start talking, and this thing is going to spawn revelations that no one expected and have huge over-the-top ramifications. Like, every elected european official has been bribed and every CEO of every major sponsor has been personally bribed. I know it won't be that crazy, but imagine the chaos of every few days, a new elected official or board member getting arrested :getin:

This is a pretty accurate description of what a huge clusterfuck of corruption FIFA really is. I wouldn't be surprised, not one bit.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Slaan posted:

Jerome is a French name, and he is the sender, so I think it was bad knowledge of English rather than French? Or it could be both?

Attachments: "About WinZip Compressed Attachments.txt"

Who doesn't know how to open a .zip file by 2007?

A lot of quite wealthy people over the age of 50 have real trouble with anything remotely modern in technology.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

http://tass.ru/en/sport/824270

lol

Russian minister of sport afraid to leave the country and go to Switzerland. I'm guessing the wont even go near North-America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Budweiser and Visa demand Blatter to step down. Blatter through his lawyer: "I respectfully disagree". Those companies have give over 1,6 billion to FIFA between 2011 and 2014.
Source: Financial Times

:stare:

Blatter is SO hosed.

• Locked thread