Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Bribing employees to get a better deal in the bidding phase of contracts is massively inefficient behavior and the countries who are good at capitalism really crack down on it hard. If FIFA was a for profit corporation these bribes would be straight up theft from the shareholders.

I thought FIFA (and FIFA members/employees?) were receiving bribes, not giving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

incoherent posted:

We're getting better at appreciating soccer but truth be told a majority of americans would rather watch minor league baseball then a MLS match.

I've been to a minor league game and I can tell you I would rather shoot myself than watch more minor league baseball.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Patter Song posted:

The people who bid for Olympics tend to be big-city mayors, and big-city mayors tend to be Democrats.

Edit: speaking of the IOC, I suspect the current decision between Beijing or Almaty, Kazakhstan for the 2022 Winter Olympics is shaded by the current FIFA case. Namely, they're probably thinking that if they pick Almaty the whole world will think the Kazakhs paid them off.

The decision is more shaded by the fact that apparently no one but countries desperate to prove something want to host the winter olympics.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I thought he resigned. Did he take it back?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FIFA has released a list of five approved candidates for the election, notably not including Platini (though they said if he wins his appeal he could go on the list).

Prince Ali, some guy from Bahrain, Champagne, Gianni Infantino (who I've never heard of), and a fifth guy.

e: the fifth guy is Tokyo Sexwale

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 12, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They should really stop going to that hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I imagine an 8 year ban for Sepp might as well be a life ban, he's like 80 years old right?

• Locked thread