Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Despatcher
Nov 26, 2007
Generously Syndromed

A Winner is Jew posted:

If it was just the DOJ bringing up just corruption/bribery/wire fraud charges then I absolutely agree that they would just stop at the mid level patsies. The fact that they're bringing RICO charges against those mid level people means they've basically announced that literally zero fucks will be given when it comes to blowback and they're not interested in stopping until everyone has either proven they're innocent or their head is on a pike outside the courthouse.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the US legal system - could you elaborate on what this means? I have to say that my initial reaction was that this will punish some of the most egregious low hanging fruit and that like all good kingpin's, Blatter has been squealing on his rivals for years.

I am delighted to hear that I am wrong though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despatcher
Nov 26, 2007
Generously Syndromed

A Winner is Jew posted:

IANAL and law goons can correct any of this if I'm wrong, but RICO basically takes whatever penalties someone would normally get and doubles them. Then it allows for the prosecution of "bosses" that allowed crimes to be committed in the name of the organization as if they committed them themselves. Add to that RICO requires defendants to post a bond for triple the damages they are accused of because of the terrible damages clause and so shell corporations they have setup can't just take their money and run if it looks like there will be a guilty verdict.

Personally, I would rather be brought up on patriot act charges than RICO act charges.

Woof. This is very heartening. So the very fact they've used the RICO statute indicates that they have a very very strong case? Normally I am pretty irritated by US legal/tax stuff in Europe (fatca etc) but I have to say I am delighted at this. Good show chaps. Carry on.

Honestly - from watching Bladder's victory speech I wonder if he's not putting in some ground work as as addled geriatric that's far too old to stand trial. It was positively awful.

Despatcher
Nov 26, 2007
Generously Syndromed

pangstrom posted:

RICO is Suave.

Despatcher
Nov 26, 2007
Generously Syndromed
Can they really secure a 30 year jail term in the states for a Football association president/representative from another nation? Seems unlikely.

Despatcher
Nov 26, 2007
Generously Syndromed
Shut the gently caress up about rubbish American Sports and get back to commenting on the crushing justice that is going through FIFA like a righteous cleansing.

BBC article on the scandal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35007626

It mentions this tonight:

Panorama: Fifa, Sepp Blatter and Me is on BBC One at 20:30 GMT on Monday, 7 December and available to watch later via BBC iPlayer

• Locked thread