Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I don't think Russia is going anywhere at this notice, but I really hope they sink Qatar. It's a moral and logistic disaster.

pentyne posted:

4-500 deaths projected for Qatar to finish their world cup stadiums, a bid that should have never been accepted as its literally impossible to play soccer there during June/July so FIFA moved the world cup to Jan/Feb which will impact the Euro leagues drastically, to which FIFA said "Tough poo poo".

My understanding is you missed a zero on that of death count. It's beyond the pale even by the standards of international sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

blowfish posted:

is the sepp blatter propaganda movie available online?

I dunno but there's this: http://screamer.deadspin.com/heres-what-i-learned-watching-fifas-incredible-propagan-1643394469

quote:

The World Cups that we organize do more for world peace than any U.N. resolution.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

tbh I kinda hope Blatter wins so we can go for the grand prize of arresting the sitting head of FIFA rather than letting them declare fresh start by ditching him.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Can they just go a head and arrest everyone of the people behind those 133 votes for corruption.

Fascists yes, but it would save on the paper work.

The other voters are also corrupt.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Making a non-corrupt football governing body would be a herculean task which the DOJ is not interested in undertaking, but if they can dial things back from their current absurd level and stop outright monstrosities like Qatar 2022 happening, I'll take it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Despatcher posted:

Can they really secure a 30 year jail term in the states for a Football association president/representative from another nation? Seems unlikely.

As I understand it: They consider him to have committed a crime in the United States, by virtue of organising fraud and bribery there, and that crime carries certain punishments if he is brought to justice. Actually arresting him depends on the cooperation of local police, since they can't invade Switzerland to grab him themselves, but the Swiss police are cooperating since they think he's guilty as sin too.

It's definitely a powerful law and an example of America's global reach, but it makes sense if you consider him as the head of an organised crime operation that has worked extensively in the US. It wouldn't be crazy if a Mexican cartel honcho was brought to trial in the United States with the cooperation of the Mexican police, if the US had more appropriate laws or a more trustworthy judiciary or some such.

e: all this assumes they'll actually indict him though, which I'll believe when I see it even though I know it's possible now

Peel fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 30, 2015

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I will now call the game soccer for a week to honor our American friends who have made this amazing turn of events possible.

Do you think Blatter intended to resign for a while and only didn't do it because it would have meant the election of prince Ali, and he is trying to maneuver a protege into the position of FIFA president?

The rushed conference and the change in his demeanour make me think this wasn't planned at all. He's actually hosed.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Big hand to our friends in Saudi Arabia for taking on the responsibility of hosting the World Cup at short notice!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The DOJ investigation is older than that, but their absolutely brazen behaviour over the last couple of years has probably contributed to confessions, cooperation from overseas bodies, and the general atmosphere of jubilation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

That's how they'll reorganise FIFA. Just auction the world cup off. Make a big party out of it.

• Locked thread