Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BigRed0427 posted:

So do we know yet what the Justice Department is looking for exactly or are they just pulling what ever bullshit they can find.

Also, no records exist after 1998? What are the odds it turns out FIFA isn't exactly financially solvent?

It's the FBI and a RICO case which means they will literally find unpaid parking tickets and add that to the list of charges. Like if the FBI bringing charges against you you're basically hosed. If they bring a RICO case against you then both you and the next several generations of your family are proper hosed.

Bob James posted:

It means the Scales of Justice are going to be rammed up your rear end.

This is not an exaggeration in any way on whats about to happen to those FIFA executive right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Baron Porkface posted:

Why do you say this WRT how permissive American corporate culture is and how much legal protections rich people get?

Money and power don't mean poo poo when it's a RICO case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act#Famous_cases

Read up on the Key West PD, Michael Milken, Scott W. Rothstein, and AccessHealthSource cases. Those are police departments, major corporations, and/or obscenely rich and powerful people that under normal circumstances would be virtually untouchable under the law except a RICO case basically ruins them.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Xandu posted:

Well, it's more complicated. It means when the Justice Department wants to go after someone they can, but I don't think the existence of the law makes them go after everyone they could.

Obviously or the credit rating agencies would have been brought up on charges by now.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

OhYeah posted:

This is loving insane and fantastic at the same time. I've always wondered if there is a way to eliminate the current crooked management of FIFA, but I'd never thought the Americans would boldly take on the challenge. The RICO deal sounds quite bad as well... FBI and the Swiss guys would not have gone for such high profile arrests if they didn't have enough dirt to lock these guys away.

93% conviction rate.

quote:

The only question is, do they have some dirt on Blatter as well? Because seeing that guy behind bars would be the greatest thing that ever happened in football.

If they don't right now they probably will soon enough once everyone starts jockeying to save their own asses.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Would make me ecstatic

Start with prosecuting Cheney for war crimes

Aren't Cheney, Bush and Rumsfeld on arrest lists if they step foot in certain countries?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Blatter may not have but someone in FIFA did and the RICO act gives 0 fucks :getin:.

Yeah this.

RICO is literally the reason why all the NY crime family bosses are in prison for life right now and you can bet your rear end they were way more insulated than Blatter ever was.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right. I just meant more that this is basically the only way the American DOJ could prosecute a high-profile executive without actually harming any American interests -- i.e., go after what is essentially foreign corruption on U.S. soil. It's a good step but it's also a way to score points for attacking corruption without actually attacking any domestic corruption.

Said another way, FIFA executives aren't going to be contributing to any American political campaigns, and the American economy won't implode if they're prosecuted.

Also, I wouldn't be to sure about US companies not getting hosed right alongside FIFA.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-27/nike-s-deal-seems-to-track-u-s-claim-of-fifa-bribery-in-brazil-ia73w47c

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

fspades posted:

Yeah, but they are simultaneously launching their own investigation, don't they? My fear is that they won't extradite him on the account of him being a Swiss citizen and indict him with their own laws instead, which might turn out to be more lenient than RICO. But I don't actually know how this stuff works in Switzerland.

It's a possibility sure, but even if they don't extradite him when those indicted roll on him (with RICO it's not a question of if but when) he's done and all the evidence that the FBI gets on him will more than likely be used in Swiss court. So while he might not get a room at Leavenworth it's virtually impossible for him to skip any jail time.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bip Roberts posted:

With the DOJ conviction number what percentage of the cases are from relatively small time people who have no chance against the federal prosecutors versus the conviction rate against the super-rich?

Fairly high since the DOJ only goes after small fish to get the big fish. Also, RICO is specifically constructed to nail the balls of the very rich, powerful, and connected to the wall with the only time anyone really escaped a RICO charge being John Gotti via jury tampering in 87.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hell's Angels in the early 80's was also a pretty spectacularly failed prosecution.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/02/26/us/prosecution-of-hells-angels-is-dropped-after-2d-mistrial.html

Well yeah, but that case was laughably inept.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

It's worth noting that this investigation appears to have been conducted out of the Eastern District of New York's U.S. Attorney's Office, during the tenure of U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch.

EDNY is also where all the organized crime cases are tried - they have probably the best OC unit in the country, which comes in handy when prosecuting under RICO.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2468775/fifa-corrupt-over-24-years-says-us-department-of-justice

Apparently this investigation has been gathering evidence for 24 years

Blatter is so hosed

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 28, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shifty Pony posted:

Getting Blatter also requires Switzerland to OK extraditing a citizen to the US.

Thankfully it looks like he and FIFA have so disgusted and pissed off so many people that nobody is inclined to defend him.

Luckily, one Bill "slick willie" Clinton signed an extradition treaty with Switzerland that already guarantees they can't protect Blatter without serious diplomatic backlash.

quote:

Article 3(3) provides that the executive authority of the Requested State may refuse extradition for acts which (a) violated provisions of law relating exclusively to currency policy, trade policy or economic policy, (b) are intended exclusively to reduce taxes or duties, or (c) constitute an offense only under military law. The provisions in subsections (a) and (b) were included in the Treaty because Swiss law for the most part prohibits extradition for purely fiscal or tax offenses. This provision would not be used to shield from extradition underlying criminal conduct, such as fraud, embezzlement, or falsification of public documents, if that conduct is otherwise extraditable.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

The section that would be relevant would be these:

Basically Switzerland can prosecute him themselves, and if they then botch it the Swiss can't extradite.

That's true, but it does mean that "if" (:lol:) he is implicated as being corrupt they can't just refuse extradition.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

OhYeah posted:

Just imagine if Blatter gets arrested right after he is declared the winner for the next term of FIFA presidency.

Apparently Jack Warner has said that he's going to flip on Blatter so we won't have to imagine for long.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

saintonan posted:

FIFA sounds like a randomly determined dictatorship to me.

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Soccer forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Orange Devil posted:

Well you know it is a sport played by military aged males. They knew the risks.

How often is soccer played at weddings?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean they probably aren't stealing from you personally but you do get your money stolen from corporate crime of this sort all the time. Do you only want the government to prosecute crimes that only pertaining to you personally?

The only moral criminal prosecution is my criminal prosecution. :freep:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Grey Fox posted:

It's FBI; they're not planning to torture him. Unfortunately.

I think there's still time to get the Chicago PD involved in this.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dilkington posted:

tsipras2015
2m ago

Imperialists - lost!
(despite their poodle from Jordan)
International community condemn Britain and ignorant US!
Good news!

kowalli
4m ago

good news, FU USA

jimbog
15m ago

Well yankies tried your best now, gently caress off.

It's so cute that the rest of the world doesn't realize how thoroughly the DOJ will gently caress FIFA.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Family Values posted:

I think you're too optimistic, or I'm too cynical, because if they start getting blowback ("the US is destroying our game!") I can see them quietly wrapping up the case and taking plea deals from a few midlevel patsies.

If it was just the DOJ bringing up just corruption/bribery/wire fraud charges then I absolutely agree that they would just stop at the mid level patsies. The fact that they're bringing RICO charges against those mid level people means they've basically announced that literally zero fucks will be given when it comes to blowback and they're not interested in stopping until everyone has either proven they're innocent or their head is on a pike outside the courthouse.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Despatcher posted:

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the US legal system - could you elaborate on what this means? I have to say that my initial reaction was that this will punish some of the most egregious low hanging fruit and that like all good kingpin's, Blatter has been squealing on his rivals for years.

I am delighted to hear that I am wrong though!

IANAL and law goons can correct any of this if I'm wrong, but RICO basically takes whatever penalties someone would normally get and doubles them. Then it allows for the prosecution of "bosses" that allowed crimes to be committed in the name of the organization as if they committed them themselves. Add to that RICO requires defendants to post a bond for triple the damages they are accused of because of the terrible damages clause and so shell corporations they have setup can't just take their money and run if it looks like there will be a guilty verdict.

Personally, I would rather be brought up on patriot act charges than RICO act charges.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Despatcher posted:

Woof. This is very heartening. So the very fact they've used the RICO statute indicates that they have a very very strong case? Normally I am pretty irritated by US legal/tax stuff in Europe (fatca etc) but I have to say I am delighted at this. Good show chaps. Carry on.

I'm assuming most news about US corruption that leaves our boarders revolves around wall street and how companies get fined pennies compared to what they made from breaking rules which is mostly because the SEC/FTC that handles that stuff is really toothless because banks / wall street lobbied (legally bribed) congress to make the SEC/FTC toothless.

The DOJ is totally separate from the SEC/FTC and unlike the SEC is about as far from toothless as possible since it handles the investigation and prosecution of things like terrorism, civil rights abuses, interstate/international fraud, and racketeering (bribery/extortion/money laundering/obstruction of justice) and also has the full resources of the federal government backing it with no one lobbying to strip it of it's power. The DOJ also has an absurdly high prosecution rate since they are more than willing to wait and build air tight cases against people (in this case the investigation has been going on for almost 25 years) as opposed to grasping at straws like most local law enforcement agencies do in the US. Adding RICO into the mix means that not only is the DOJ going after someone but they're very sure that the organization they belong to is corrupt to the core and will not stop until they've 100% uncovered every single illegal activity and brought charges against not only the people that did it but also the people that allowed it to go on.

Think of it like the SEC/FTC levying fines is the UN issuing strongly worded statements on a country, the DOJ bringing charges is the US invading a country, and the DOJ using RICO is the US saying YOLO and nuking every square inch of a country.

Despatcher posted:

Honestly - from watching Bladder's victory speech I wonder if he's not putting in some ground work as as addled geriatric that's far too old to stand trial. It was positively awful.

To old to stand trial isn't something that actually happens in the US. We try people as young as 12 like they're adults if the crime is serious enough and while we might let someone out of prison if they're severely old that only happens days before they die. The US absolutely does not give a gently caress if you're too old/young to stand trial.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 29, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

He really doesn't have any idea how completely and totally hosed he is, does he?

Look how arrogant John 'I bet ya 3 to 1 I beat this' Gotti was before he was put away for life.

hobotrashcanfires posted:

It feels like they just want to double down and pretend like all is well or else look guilty. I find it really difficult not to think the DOJ timed this perfectly only to shatter them.

Realistically the timing probably has more to do with Lynch being confirmed as the new AG since IIRC she was the former head of the office running this case.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 29, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Despatcher posted:

Can they really secure a 30 year jail term in the states for a Football association president/representative from another nation? Seems unlikely.

Not only will they secure it, but it's very likely that anyone brought in after this initial round of indictments is looking at a minimum of 30 years even if they presented air tight video evidence of Blatter killing an entire village.

All the US goons talking about how insanely powerful the RICO act and that anyone that's corrupt in FIFA's leadership going to get the scales of justice shoved up their rear end is isn't doing it from an "America! gently caress Yeah!" standpoint, we're doing it because the RICO act is no poo poo just as ruthless and overreaching as the Patriot act and Alien and Sedition acts only without anyone seriously having bemoaned it ever and a very defined legal interpretation of the act so that prosecutors invoking RICO know exactly what they need to present to a judge to make those charges stick giving the DOJ carte blanche to literally go Kaiser Sozey on your rear end.

VideoTapir posted:

Every banker on Wall Street is watching this and laughing.

Sadly bankers and lawyers write the laws which is why there isn't a version of RICO for them.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 30, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So do the Saudis have pretty good building regulations or have they just lucked out that no one has built some giant concave glass monstrosity and accidentally melted half the city?

That only really happens when you have concave shapes on very large buildings with reflective coating on the windows. If you're buildings are vertical then you really don't have to worry about it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Malloreon posted:

I vaguely recall someone saying that the DOJ can label FIFA a criminal organization, which will legally forbid any US company (advertiser) from doing any business with FIFA.

Two questions:
Is this possible?

If yes how likely is this to happen?

If for some reason the Swiss don't want to extradite the people the DOJ wants to prosecute with extreme prejudiced or they manage to escape to a non-extradition country like Russia I would say it has an extraordinarily high chance of happening.

And yes, the DOJ can absolutely do that with only something like congress passing legislation (republicans think soccer is for gay commies and democrats want to look tough on crime so it won't happen) or maybe Obama/Clinton issuing an executive order being the only way to reverse it, and with Lynch being Obama's replacement for Holder and the future first laddy being so pissed he broke a mirror when FIFA hosed over the bid he presented on the US's behalf that's not looking likely either.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

StandardVC10 posted:

Why did that happen anyway? Did someone have a friend in the astroturf business?

While I'm sure in this case it's because of hookers, blow, and fat stacks of cash artificial turf isn't terrible to play on provided you're not constantly diving and poo poo, so while it makes sense to use it on little league fields to save water past that skill level it's pretty loving dumb.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

tbh, though, modern field turf is pretty rad and not the same poo poo as carpet of yesteryear

They'll keep finishing them anyway.

They really should just kill the 2022 Cup in Qatar and let us host it.

Nahh, lets garner some more international goodwill and let Spain/England host it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Powercrazy posted:

That's legal though, the only exception is when you are in a closed bidding process with other competitors, in theory if you cheat, you can be subject to a breach of contract etc.

Yeah, Nike will probably only be facing a fine and maybe loss of the contract but I seriously doubt they will walk away from this unscathed.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Vladimir Putin posted:

No I'm pretty sure Americans don't give a gently caress about soccer. Any amount of time living in America would tell you that. Those households playing soccer are basically all little kids and have been that way all throughout the 80's and beyond.

Soccer is looked at more as a sport for girls in the US right now but that's actually changing a bit.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

This whole problem with FIFA makes it sound like all it would take for a terror group to bring any Euro / SA country to its knees is throw bags over their star kickball players' heads and whisk them off somewhere.

Basically yeah, although soccer is so insanely popular with every Muslim country in the world that if they ever pulled a Munich on soccer players they could kiss all their recruiting and cash flow goodbye. It would be like pro-life terrorists in the US bombing the super bowl levels of idiocy for their own cause.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kurtofan posted:

I thought Daesh didn't like football.

They've played football Mayan style (with human heads) but they've killed kids for watching a game broadcasted from a western country so it's a mixed bag really.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bob James posted:

If Blatter is imprisoned Oliver should have to buttchug Bud Light Lime.

That would actually save his taste buds from untold misery though.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
^^^ You son of a bitch ^^^ :argh:

Northjayhawk posted:

Once those guys are all extradited to the US, the conversation with each of them is going to be very similar:

"So, would you like to see sunlight in the next 30 years? What do you know about 2018 and 2022? Got anything on Blatter? Talk and maybe we can knock it down to 10 years"

P.S. It's also only the first three of you that talk that gets this deal or tells us something we don't already know so something else to discuss with your lawyer.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Jack Warner isn't just rolling on FIFA to the DOJ, he's doing it to the world. :allears:

Oh, and the FBI are now going after not only Qatar's world cup, but Russia's as well. :getin:

At this rate I don't think it would be unseasonable to demand that this gets played at the beginning of every soccer match in the world. :haw:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DeathSandwich posted:

Holy poo poo, if it comes out that sitting US congressmen are in on FIFA corruption, what could potentially happen to them? When they get around to picking up Blatter, if he's straight up able to say and prove "These sitting representatives/senators have been getting paid $X amount for Y amount of years", does this them boil over into RICO getting filed against sitting congressmen?

Corruption and bribery are felonies so yes they can be charged and arrested if Blatter has dirt on them accepting payments and they will absolutely serve time for that poo poo.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dawncloack posted:

Anything new going on??

Ever since the bitcoin blockchain of tears dried up I need new schadentertainement.

Last I heard was that the DOJ had officially requested the extradition of Jack Warner and for the state department to start negotiating for it but that's it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

3 months to crack, I'm actually shocked it took that long.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
DCFADP and Sepp Blatter gets indicted. Best week ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, Volkswagen is either dead or crippled.

At this rate the Pope needs to just be relocated to DC.

• Locked thread