Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I sort of want to put money on Sepp Blatter somehow surviving this, too

the man is the cockroach of football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Really, the only bad thing about this is that the court documents will insist on calling the sport "soccer"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

BigRed0427 posted:

So do we know yet what the Justice Department is looking for exactly or are they just pulling what ever bullshit they can find.

Also, no records exist after 1998? What are the odds it turns out FIFA isn't exactly financially solvent?

practically negligible, recording is almost certainly intentionally sloppy to make it easier to skim funds from the top and do back-room allocations

there is a frankly obscene amount of money in international football

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Hadaka Apron posted:

Do any other countries besides the US and Canada use the word "soccer"? I'm guessing that Australia does since they have their own sport that they call football.

the irish may also do it, since they also have their own perverse not-football, i dunno

the important point is all these nations are dumb and wrong

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh russia getting the WC isn't that insane imo, though obviously also corrupt

qatar, though, lol. just lol you can't even play football in qatar in the summer

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

look at platini making his move

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Business Gorillas posted:

Any reasons why they aren't going after European officials, or is this the first round and they're gonna wait for people to flip before we start extraditing European nationals?

most of the evidence they have seems to be transactions using US banks and assets, which comes more naturally to the americans than the europeans - FIFA being based at this time in a country known for its shady banking practices, it seems reasonable to assume that most european shady poo poo would go through those instead

of course the big man himself has likely insulated himself quite thoroughly, but who knows? the swiss investigation might actually bring him down. he only has to be careless once, after all

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I dunno the precise legalese of it but using a US bank to pass bribes is pretty much committing a crime on US soil.

blatter certainly did not do anything nearly so careless as that

seriously, sepp blatter has managed to stay on top of the extremely cutthroat world of international football for years and years and years despite everyone knowing he was corrupt, i can pretty much guarantee you that he's taken pains to insulate himself in a situation like this

he is best thought of as a sort of vampire, imo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

we'll see. i hope y'all are right, certainly

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

to get a sense of the drama that would entail, check out what happened when Kasparov made his own chess federation because FIDE is almost as bad as FIFA

and that was chess, the least passionate activity this side of literal nit picking

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

YES

DIE YOU OLD MOTHERFUCKER

DIE

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Xandu posted:

Yeah, that makes sense.

Also they're waiting four months for a new election. I wonder if he just wanted to spite Ali a little bit.

i would not be surprised if Platini is involved in this somehow. his maneuvering throughout this affair has been extremely obvious - i can easily see him running for leader at this extraordinary congress, if that's even allowed by FIFA's rules

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Good riddance Blatter. So, who's gonna succeed him? Probably Prince Ali

we'll see. my money is, again, on platini angling to run but we will see.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zeroisanumber posted:

Platini's gutless. If he had any character, he'd have challenged Blatter in the last election.

i don't agree

blatter was looking stronger than ever before the FBI investigation. even with the fbi investigation platini couldn't mobilise all of UEFA against him. what he could do, though, was make noises about how distant he is from blatter. he's got UEFA, he's got a lot of experience and he looks confident that he's not getting dragged down by the investigation, so i reckon he's going to try to seize the organisation before anyone else can mobilise

we'll see, of course, but this is my projection

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

whiskey patrol posted:

Are we sure Platini is clean? Isn't he the one that was supposedly given the Picasso for supporting the Russian bid or was that a false rumor? I did a quick google search and saw a few articles but not from any sources I trust. He did vote for Qatar in 2022, which doesn't look good.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/05/michel-platini-conspirators-2022-world-cup-bid-uefa

he is probably dirty af, but it remains a question whether he gets implicated in this poo poo, and whether whatever he gets implicated in falls under US jurisdiction (caveat: i don't know how RICO would work re: this)

like, i'm not rooting for him, i'm just saying i reckon he's angling for the big chair

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one thing this case will do no matter what, though, is destroy the culture of arrogant security that they'd been building up. whoever shows up to replace Blatter & co are almost certainly going to be corrupt as well, but they will be much less flagrantly corrupt

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

massively organised sports are always corrupt - there's no reason to doubt that 1998 or 1994 were exempt from corruption

some bribes and stuff must be accepted. the problem comes when kickbacks are the only reason things happen, like 2022

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh i don't mind russia getting the world cup that much because at least you can physically play football in russia in the summer and, well, they bought it fair and square by modern FIFA standards

qatar, though, is just silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

The Larch posted:

I choose to believe that the U.S. did not obtain the 1994 World Cup through bribery. We have all the guns, we ain't gotta bribe poo poo.

uh why do you think this investigation got going bro

• Locked thread