Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Family Values posted:

I think you're too optimistic, or I'm too cynical, because if they start getting blowback ("the US is destroying our game!") I can see them quietly wrapping up the case and taking plea deals from a few midlevel patsies.

I'm betting on the middle ground. They will prosecute a bunch of people including Blatter. They won't completely dismantle fifa, and the next generation of executives will be corrupt in a less extravagant fashion.

Basically a bunch of people will get prosecuted but the systemic corruption will stay rooted in place. Hail Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Despatcher posted:

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the US legal system - could you elaborate on what this means? I have to say that my initial reaction was that this will punish some of the most egregious low hanging fruit and that like all good kingpin's, Blatter has been squealing on his rivals for years.

I am delighted to hear that I am wrong though!

Prosecuting under the RICO statute means they are going after them the same way they went after organized crime a few decades back. RICO is written in a way that the bosses at the top are prosecuted for their underlings crimes even if the bosses themselves had little to no personal stake in it. If RICO is getting pushed it means their whole strategy is going to revolve around pinching the underlings to take out the heads of the organization.

It's not going to stop with the people who are currently being prosecuted. Not by a long shot. This will go all the way to Blatter.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

serious gaylord posted:

Valcke.

He knows way too much, and now that hes clearly been implicated hes going to roll on Blatter so hard.

My money is on him trying to go underground in response to Valcke getting picked up.

I've got even odds on him being picked up at an airport terminal or at border trying to sneak into a non-extradition country.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Northjayhawk posted:

Once those guys are all extradited to the US, the conversation with each of them is going to be very similar:

"So, would you like to see sunlight in the next 30 years? What do you know about 2018 and 2022? Got anything on Blatter? Talk and maybe we can knock it down to 10 years"

"Oh, by the way we're giving this same offer to 3 of your co-horts and only whomever sqawks the fastest and the loudest gets the deal."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eviltastic posted:

I'm not sure I get what's going on with the latest news the Guardian is breaking on this at their live blog here involving John Delaney and a payment of five million euros. It looks like it's just a settlement, but the Guardian is presenting it as being pretty nefarious.

e: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0604/705872-delaney-confirm-fifa-payment-to-fai/

Holy poo poo, if it comes out that sitting US congressmen are in on FIFA corruption, what could potentially happen to them? When they get around to picking up Blatter, if he's straight up able to say and prove "These sitting representatives/senators have been getting paid $X amount for Y amount of years", does this them boil over into RICO getting filed against sitting congressmen?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eviltastic posted:

Different John Delaney.

Way to squash my dreams.

Also way for me to not actually read the article linked before I posted.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eviltastic posted:

I'm not sure I get what's going on with the latest news the Guardian is breaking on this at their live blog here involving John Delaney and a payment of five million euros. It looks like it's just a settlement, but the Guardian is presenting it as being pretty nefarious.

e: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0604/705872-delaney-confirm-fifa-payment-to-fai/

Now that I actually read the article, I tried googling "Thierry Henry handball" and basically just got linked back to these breaking stories. What was actually involved with this handball case? Was the FAI taking FIFA to court to get Ireland in the world cup instead of France due to referee miscall or something?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Reminder that the last one came from a dude who used an Onion article to defend himself.

He's also thinking people are coming to kill him. If this rabbit hole does go to rigging elections and the Russian mob as mentioned above them I absolutely believe his life is in mortal danger.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I am an idiot

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 8, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Not sure you're posting in the right thread, ace.

Edited it if you could do the same :v:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

So out of curiousity: Who's paying this bribe money to FIFA? Is it the Government themselves or some other political/business entity inside the country that's drafting up these payolas?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

So is this Interpol signaling their intentions that they want to go to bat in extraditing/trying these guys?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, the thread atmosphere change from "oh good, we're arresting some dudes for corruption, it won't really matter" to "Jesus Christ, they're bringing RICO charges, Sepp Blatter and everyone he's ever met are going to the pokey forever" was hilarious.

Yeah, that's the thing with RICO. Blatter himself may still be free as of this moment, but the moment RICO was ever mentioned in relation to FIFA then you can rest assured he is going to probably spend the rest of his life in prison once it's his turn.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It is a feverish hope of mine that someone in FIFA rolls and in the process namedrops some IOC members. Seeing the IOC get strung up alongside FIFA would be wonderful beyond words since everyone knows the IOC is just as bad as, if not worse than, FIFA when it comes to corruption.

Hopefully after the inevitable disease pandemic that is going to hit Rio-bound Olympians the IOC is at least forced to not pick literal toxic waste sites for future games.

You know, that would be an interesting turn of events if, when picked up by feds, Blatter has some sort of smoking gun to launch an investigation into the IOC that Blatter uses to try and leverage leniency.

It won't help him, mind you, but it would be interesting none the less.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Leniency for bosses in RICO cases is like getting 1-2 of the 10 life sentences taken off.

Hence the line "It won't help him, mind you" :v:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SlipUp posted:

I definitely heard all the stories coming in to this and I knew these guys were screwed. I've just never seen it in action before. The only other time I personally remember it coming up was one of those corrupt juvie judges. Watching it drag a corrupt international organization down to cannibalize itself in real time is pretty loving amazing. This is the most high profile RICO case ever.

I'd be worried if I was the IOC.

Maybe they can do the NFL next.

To be honest if we're talking about hypothetical dream scenario I'd rather them go after the NCAA before NFL. The amount of exploitation happening to college athletes ought to be criminal.

Granted Last Week Tonight isn't considered a high brow source but I still feel this is relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8BXH3SJn0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Octatonic posted:

What's happening in Atlanta it's probably perfectly legal, just incredibly racist, which is part for the course. You know what folks in Dekalb County say MARTA stands for right?

Statistically speaking very few people in this thread know what they call MARTA because we don't live in the area, so you may as well just say it.

• Locked thread