Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xandu posted:

Well, it's more complicated. It means when the Justice Department wants to go after someone they can, but I don't think the existence of the law makes them go after everyone they could.

Yeah the important lesson here is that if charges like this are actually filed yer hosed. But it is also telling that this seems like a case protecting America's big banks, even if it is superficially an attack on corrupt executives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

1337JiveTurkey posted:

It doesn't sound like the banks did anything criminal or even unseemly in this case (that's something I don't say every day), they're just doing their usual thing of moving money between accounts. So I believe Bank of America or whoever didn't know any more about the transactions than any other that its clients were making, but American laws govern transactions made through those banks.

Also if anyone's already pled guilty, they did so before being arrested and were actively assisting the investigation in exchange for a lighter sentence. So there's probably recordings of some of the juicer stuff including things that may not be under American jurisdiction but could be prosecuted elsewhere.

Right. I just meant more that this is basically the only way the American DOJ could prosecute a high-profile executive without actually harming any American interests -- i.e., go after what is essentially foreign corruption on U.S. soil. It's a good step but it's also a way to score points for attacking corruption without actually attacking any domestic corruption.

Said another way, FIFA executives aren't going to be contributing to any American political campaigns, and the American economy won't implode if they're prosecuted.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

awesome-express posted:

so what you're saying is the EU should handle America's corruption cases

Would make me ecstatic

Start with prosecuting Cheney for war crimes

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

School Nickname posted:

Some dumb poo poo I know claims that since FIFA is a private company it can claim all this is legit business and get away with it (Guy's a 1000% cynic, still bitches though). I feel that his poo poo is dumb, but know gently caress all about how orgs like FIFA are treated.

Assuming this isn't done the Russian way is there any way they could get out of this? Are they bound by international law wrt bribes, etc?

The justice dept. lawyers are not dudes in a bar. Federal prosecutors have a 93% conviction rate, and are promoted based on conviction rate. They don't bring charges unless they already have every single i dotted and t crossed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Another element here is that these are Europeans facing american jail sentences. Criminal, not civil. They'll plead out but even their pleas will be more severe sentences than anything they would face in Europe.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

pentyne posted:

How's the European reaction to this? Talking heads and media figures have railed against FIFA for years but the governments have never done anything about it.

I had the same question so I decided to look up what the Daily Mail was saying.

quote:

James Comey, director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, stood at the podium, an upright, imposing figure, and delivered a message of purest hope. ‘This may be the way things are,’ he said, ‘but this is not the way things have to be.’ He sounded, for a moment, like Gary Cooper.

‘Every line in his face spelled honesty,’ Frank Capra said of Cooper, and set against the villainous toads of FIFA, Comey had that about him, too. He is 6ft 8in, the tallest member of the Obama administration, the tallest FBI director there has been and he will need to be big, from here. It is hard to imagine a slipperier, more nefarious bunch than the men in charge of football.

They are brazen, they are shameless, they are flagrant in their contempt for law. They twist the rules of the countries they visit, they manipulate, they conspire, they corrupt and diminish. Their leader is a tawdry, Machiavellian politico with the air of one who feels arrogantly insulated against society’s rules.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3100058/Sepp-Blatter-hard-nail-Osama-Bin-Laden-t-FIFA-s-president-bullet.html

They're literally going full-on Frank Capra mode. More tellingly, the comments go from "they're mad they didn't get the bids" conspiracy on the one hand, to "why did this take so long?" and "God Bless America" on the other.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 28, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

A Winner is Jew posted:

Think of it like the SEC/FTC levying fines is the UN issuing strongly worded statements on a country, the DOJ bringing charges is the US invading a country, and the DOJ using RICO is the US saying YOLO and nuking every square inch of a country.

To old to stand trial isn't something that actually happens in the US. We try people as young as 12 like they're adults if the crime is serious enough and while we might let someone out of prison if they're severely old that only happens days before they die. The US absolutely does not give a gently caress if you're too old/young to stand trial.

Yeah, one thing that foreigners may be having a difficult time realizing is that if the DOJ is going after you you really are hosed. The system is massively unfair even against people who are actually innocent. When you're this guilty and this stupid, too? It's over.

These guys are getting to see the "highest incarceration rate in the world" side of America. These white corporate executives are about to be legally tried as if they were poor minorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xandu posted:

I wonder what changed.

Moved past denial into bargaining is my guess.

• Locked thread