Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OhYeah posted:

This is somewhat significant. Putin doesn't always comment on issues like these, usually it's done by junior ministers in the government or Duma members and such. I'm wondering if there are surprising details coming out regarding Blatter and his warm feelings towards the Putin administration.

Putin is personally involved in the bribery and handed over a Picasso. I imagine he wouldn't like to lose the world cup bid, it'd cost him a shitload of face.

Russia won't lose the bid but the amount of people who seem to think Qatar is still going to happen is insane. Blatter's almost certainly already been rolled on, Jack Warner et al wouldn't piss out a fire if it didn't personally benefit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Grey Fox posted:

What's the etiquette for offering and accepting bribes for big-ticket items like becoming a World Cup host? Do you come to a handshake agreement before transferring the funds? Do a bunch of different countries get into a bidding war and you just go with the high bidder while pocketing everyone else's "deposits"? Or do you just throw a bunch of money at these guys all the time and wait for them to come through on something big?

edit: vvv obviously, but I was hoping for immediate satisfaction

Officials show up to a massive party and there's brown paper bags full of cash in their hotel room. I can't remember which of the members claimed this but it's been public a while.

Also you go to qatar to talk about slavery and come back saying "no slavery here" wearing rolexes.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

He had a press conference where he basically said "Suck it nerds, I'm still the President of FIFA."

FIFA disagrees with him on this and the weird thing is, I think he genuinely believes his word is more important than the entire organisation.

He's not active president. He holds an honorary position and isn't capable of exerting authority. Also it's FIFA, literally all they do is pick the world cup, bribe each other, and pay the tax skim off their massive cash reserves to Switzerland.

Toplowtech posted:

Apparantly the UEFA found an old note showing FIFA was aware of Platini's extra million of swiss franc salary/bonus since 1998. Looks like he could dodge any indictment and should be able to be candidate to the presidency?

It's completely irrelevant. If Platini didn't hand in requests every year, Swiss law says it's not allowed to be part of the accounts. It is a payment against the interests of the organisation you are legally responsible for, as far as the Swiss are concerned. A "disloyal payment" is a criminal action. Platini is done forever.

Tokyo Sexwale, a man mysteriously rich from gold and diamonds after being locked up alongside Mandela in Robben Island, is the favourite.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 23, 2015

• Locked thread