Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pangstrom posted:

Maybe somebody blackmailed FIFA. Or took hostages. Something like that.

Bribery's much easier, especially when it's not your own personal funds being used for the bribes (or you're going to get kickbacks that more than cover it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

paragon1 posted:

I am shocked to learn of corruption in South American soccer. Shocked I tell you.

It is a feverish hope of mine that someone in FIFA rolls and in the process namedrops some IOC members. Seeing the IOC get strung up alongside FIFA would be wonderful beyond words since everyone knows the IOC is just as bad as, if not worse than, FIFA when it comes to corruption.

Hopefully after the inevitable disease pandemic that is going to hit Rio-bound Olympians the IOC is at least forced to not pick literal toxic waste sites for future games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

You know, that would be an interesting turn of events if, when picked up by feds, Blatter has some sort of smoking gun to launch an investigation into the IOC that Blatter uses to try and leverage leniency.

It won't help him, mind you, but it would be interesting none the less.

If someone at FIFA said "hey I can give you evidence that lets you nail the IOC to the wall but I want a sweet plea deal" they're going to get it. Maybe Obama and others care enough about the Olympics to not want to destroy the IOC but even if that's the case I strongly suspect that'll change after Rio if/when Olympians contract a bunch of nasty illnesses since the water in the competition area is basically sewage.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

etalian posted:

A athlete who was doing test runs in preparation for the Brazil summer olympics got a bad case of flesh eating bacteria.

I know. There's a few others with a bunch of illnesses and rashes/sores/etc due to the horrific conditions of the places they're practicing in. Like if Olympians die due to the conditions there I'm not going to be surprised. :sigh:

e: TI'd be ok with the NFL getting hit next instead of the IOC. Surely someone in some city crossed a line with the tax incentives and other billion dollar handouts.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 4, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jarmak posted:

I know the Patriot's is built with private money, surely its not the only one.

Boston is the only city in the nation where the arenas/stadiums used by pro sports teams are privately owned/funded IIRC. There has to be some illegal poo poo going on in places like Atlanta with the new stadium garbage going on there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

e: ^^^ Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta.

Octatonic posted:

What's happening in Atlanta it's probably perfectly legal, just incredibly racist, which is part for the course. You know what folks in Dekalb County say MARTA stands for right?

I lived in Atlanta for several years. I'm well aware of MARTA's alternate term (and a few that don't spell 'MARTA') and I see friends in the area posting about the eternal fuckup that is the new Stadium and the impossible logistics regularly. I know Nathan Deal is an incredibly corrupt motherfucker but the stadium is just all sorts of horrible.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Like do you think that they go around rigging the Superbowl sites or accepting bribes for advertising contracts? Maybe in individual sports, boxing/tennis/golf and the like, but not in the big four or college sports world.

I can absolutely see this happening with the BCS games. If there isn't a bunch of shady poo poo going on with that I'd be stunned.

• Locked thread