Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Morrow posted:

I read the headline last night just before I went to bed and was convinced I was hallucinating.

With so many senior officials indicted in this round, many of whom have served on the executive committee, there's no way that some of them don't provide more material to the FBI. If I were any FIFA official who'd done something shady in the past twenty years, I'd start looking very closely at who has extradition treaties with the US and Switzerland.

If the US federal government brings me up on RICO, I'm gonna sing like a bird.

Holy poo poo they got CONCACAF too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Baron Porkface posted:

Why do you say this WRT how permissive American corporate culture is and how much legal protections rich people get?

Because FIFA used American banks on American soil to commit multi-million dollar fraud. The DOJ is going to protect those banks by burning FIFA to the ground.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lid posted:

Don't be pedantic, people outside the law would have no idea that millions of documents have to be assessed in the most significant cases. To normal people 10000 is a lot.

How much space does a million pages take up?!? Seems like it would be the size of a small room at least.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Constant Omari (a member of FIFA's executive committee) has just revealed that Germany bought the rights to host the 2006 World Cup. There is always more and it is always better.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

archangelwar posted:

Sepp Blatter must be the sacrifice for Swiss cooperation on the rest.

The Swiss have instructed bladder not to leave the country, and Jack Warner has already promised to flip on him.

Everything burns.

Edit: great autocorrect!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Family Values posted:

I think you're too optimistic, or I'm too cynical, because if they start getting blowback ("the US is destroying our game!") I can see them quietly wrapping up the case and taking plea deals from a few midlevel patsies.

You underestimate the degree to which virtually every nation (and their FA) are aware of the massive scale of this corruption -- they are almost uniformly ecstatic that the Americans are going to raze FIFA.

This is one bowl of mashed potatoes that really needs our dick in it, and everyone knows it. It might actually be the biggest foreign policy triumph in decades, without any exaggeration.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

blowfish posted:

And having the largest foreign policy triumph in decades be about loving football executives (and not, say, eliminating world hunger or lucking into backing the right guys in the middle east) is pathetic.

You'll get no argument from me on that point.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Peel posted:

Making a non-corrupt football governing body would be a herculean task which the DOJ is not interested in undertaking, but if they can dial things back from their current absurd level and stop outright monstrosities like Qatar 2022 happening, I'll take it.

I think that's why they are scorching the earth here. Making an example of this generation of corrupt plutocrats, if only to give the next generation some pause before they repeat the behavior.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Despatcher posted:

Can they really secure a 30 year jail term in the states for a Football association president/representative from another nation? Seems unlikely.

Unreasonably long sentences stemming from overreaching criminal statutes? That's practically the national anthem.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VideoTapir posted:

Every banker on Wall Street is watching this and laughing.

If they are, they're whistling past the graveyard. There but for the grace of Capital go they.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ha, Blatter is accusing America of going after FIFA because we lost the 2022 Cup bid. Does he really have no idea just how much of the population never even knew that?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Patter Song posted:

So the next move is Blatter fleeing to Russia to avoid extradition, right? If so, how will the DOJ respond?

He's been told not to leave Switzerland, so I would assume the Swiss police have an eye on him.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nike bribed FIFA $10 million to secure the Brazil uniform contract, oh poo poo son

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Does anyone have an update to that handy slide showing the FIFA power structure and each one was stamped "arrested"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Thinking about trying to plan an Olympics in the Boston traffic pattern gives me the heebie-jeebies.

• Locked thread