Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Mechafunkzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/603618050248704001

:eyepop:

Switzerland doesn't extradite its citizens, but considering there's a joint Swiss investigation going on, this seems fairly ominous.

This is not true, they simply reserve the right to refuse extradition and prosecute the individual(s) in Switzerland. This is also not terribly rare, along with refusing to extradite if the person faces the death penalty (I believe?) or for political offenses or crimes not recognized by Switzerland.

e: see: https://www.bj.admin.ch/dam/data/bj/sicherheit/rechtshilfe/strafsachen/auslieferung/auslieferung-e.pdf

tsa fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Can whatever billion he has really not buy your way out of switzerland? Maybe I'm greatly underestimating how locked down the swiss border is but I'd figure there would have to be some way to pull it off if you have that kind of cash.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

While not on lockdown, the Swiss authorities clearly have a solid eye on him and making a run for it would only result in him seeing the inside of a jail cell sooner rather than, as it appears, later.

Unless everyone is completely wrong about RICO and these other guys rolling it would seem it's basically his only chance though, wouldn't it be worth the risk at this point?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Xandu posted:

Oh man, I would love to seem him pull an Assange and spend his life stuck in some lovely Russian embassy.

Thought he just chills in Moscow now? Or am I thinking of the other one.

Vladimir Putin posted:

I'd like to add that this whole thing is possible only because of the arguable over reach of American prosecutors and the fact that nobody in America gives a gently caress about soccer. I mean why would American prosecutors be interested in taking down such a large organization wthat has virtually no power in America and that the average American doesn't even know exists? That makes it all the more delicious.

America doesn't give a gently caress about FIFA, but this idea that americans don't like soccer is kinda from the 80s. It's second only to baseball w.r.t the number of households who have at least 1 person playing, it's more popular than hockey, etc. This is really great news for many US corps because soccer is becoming big money, the viewership rights for World Cup matches are on the same level as the world series or NBA finals-- in fact some US games have higher ratings than those. And it is only getting bigger as America becomes increasingly more diverse.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

blowfish posted:

Why does America have ginormous college stadiums (and even high school stadiums :psyduck:) in the first place? Germany the rest of the world is obsessed with real football but a college pitch here is at most a lawn with white lines, some lights, and a haphazardly constructed seating area.

Because they fill them up? The last time Michigan had under 100,000 in attendance was in the 70s.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

EvanSchenck posted:

One thing I'm curious about is, could Fifa have continued to get away with this indefinitely if they'd been more intelligent about the countries they accepted bribes from? It seemed to me that from the moment they made the announcement, everybody was calling bullshit on the Qatar World Cup. It's just so obviously dumb and inappropriate, but I wonder if they could have just focused on extracting bribes from countries that at least made some degree of sense as hosts.

I don't think so, Qatar might have been what sent this off but you might have seen something like this eventually regardless. Like I posted earlier, soccer is getting big in the US, and the television rights are starting to be worth big bucks. US games can get higher viewership than Stanley Cup and NBA Finals games. Not to mention you get to target the largest growing demographic in the US, which again will lead to the sport getting bigger and bigger. Targeting this sort of corruption is great for US corps and knocking FIFA out in favor of an org with a lot more US influence would be a major coup.

I'm not saying that's why this is happening- Qatar being so incredibly obvious is the most likely explanation for why we are seeing things happen now. The investigation heating up lines up pretty much exactly with when they got the cup.

• Locked thread