Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

A Winner is Jew posted:

Look how arrogant John 'I bet ya 3 to 1 I beat this' Gotti was before he was put away for life.

Realistically the timing probably has more to do with Lynch being confirmed as the new AG since IIRC she was the former head of the office running this case.

You remember correctly.

quote:

In was in her role as district attorney that her involvement in the Fifa investigation began. Over the course of five years in Brooklyn - during which she weathered criticism for striking a deal with HSBC that spared the bank from criminal charges over money laundering - a case against the football officials was pieced together.

"We always knew it was going to be a very large case," Ms Lynch told the New York Times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Patter Song posted:

So the next move is Blatter fleeing to Russia to avoid extradition, right? If so, how will the DOJ respond?

While not on lockdown, the Swiss authorities clearly have a solid eye on him and making a run for it would only result in him seeing the inside of a jail cell sooner rather than, as it appears, later.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nonsense posted:

I don't trust the Swiss, frankly. They've protected evil Iranians and Nazis in their 'social democracy'.

While the idea of Switzerland being some sort of benign, trustworthy neutral is yes incredibly overplayed, I wouldn't worry about it in this case. Dude's about to get judicially curbstomped and no one's going to hold the door open for him to escape.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

tsa posted:

Unless everyone is completely wrong about RICO and these other guys rolling it would seem it's basically his only chance though, wouldn't it be worth the risk at this point?

Nah because he'd never make it and he knows it. The time to skip, if he was going to, would have been last week when the indictment was announced, and at that time Blatter was still operating under the delusion (which, given today's panicky press conference, appears only now to have ended) that he'd be able to weather the storm and/or this case was just another go-nowhere annoyance rather than the legal equivalent of an Ohio missile sub rising to launch depth and flooding its missile tubes. Now that Valcke appears to have sung, or is about to, Blatter's only real hope is to delay, complicate, and obfuscate in the hopes of betting less-than-fully destroyed.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

tsa posted:

Thought he just chills in Moscow now? Or am I thinking of the other one.

That's Snowden. Assange is the one living in the Ecuadoran embassy since 2012.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

incoherent posted:

We don't loving want the world cup. Go hog wild europe, but remember who came in and regulated....

Mount up.

Vladimir Putin posted:

No I'm pretty sure Americans don't give a gently caress about soccer. Any amount of time living in America would tell you that. Those households playing soccer are basically all little kids and have been that way all throughout the 80's and beyond.

While we're not as indifferent/hostile to soccer as we once were, I concede this is still more true than not though it used to be even worse. Growing up my town didn't even have a team, I had to play for the next town over until high school (when I was cut during try outs and subsequently gave up on the game).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
E: problem solved!

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 8, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

My sixty-something PhD advisor had the worst typing skills I've ever seen. He was a full-on history professor so it's not like typing should have been something he was unfamiliar with, and yet... :stare:

A lot of older academics came up during the "dictate then get a secretary/grad assistant to type it out" days, and have been slow to move on from them (in those instances where they've moved on at all).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

If Blatter isn't a moron

That's an increasingly tenuous presumption.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

I disagree with most of these posts. I think that Qatar's cup is a big target, but that the people targeting it are worried FIFA execs trying to cut a deal. The feds will take what they can get, but its the people who have been put under pressure who are giving these deals away. As we saw with the Morocco 98 and 2010 stuff and SA 2010 stuff it doesn't have to be obvious to outsiders to be drug up as part of this investigation. The only limit is that these things have to have involved transactions from US banks or US companies (or other countries which are running parallel investigations.)

I don't see what deals the FIFA elites can try for at this point that are anything better than "you might see the sun again before you die of old age, possibly." When the feds are just angling for whatever they can catch, they don't bust out RICO, which in this increasingly strained metaphor is the fishing equivalent of 1950s marine atomic test detonations.

I mean sure, the lesser execs will, and probably already have, rolled over to buy themselves a little less pain, but nobody's walking away from this with a wrist-slap I'd be willing to bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cythereal posted:

This is what people were saying when this thread started: RICO may be slow moving, but it's some of the nastiest laws on the books in the US.

As someone else already said, RICO cases are when rich white men get told they're being tried like poor minority teens.

• Locked thread