Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pentyne posted:

There must be some insane damage control going on behind closed doors as FIFA realizes that there's literally nothing they can threaten the US with (What? Banned from the World Cup? gently caress you, just for that here's more charges)

I actually more suspect everyone's terrified to talk to anyone else, for fear that person will get indicted and flip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Business Gorillas posted:

Any reasons why they aren't going after European officials, or is this the first round and they're gonna wait for people to flip before we start extraditing European nationals?

I assume that they'd rather hit the people with stronger ties to the US first, then go after the Europeans if Europe doesn't get its act together. They don't want to risk going after people who are only weakly related to the US in the initial wave because that would invite people to try to challenge jurisdiction.

I also assume they're looking to nail Blatter but want one of the current targets to flip to get solid enough evidence.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fspades posted:

So what I'm getting is, this is the harshest thing the US government could have done to FIFA short of authorizing a drone strike to Sepp Blatter's bedroom. Where does he go from here? Can he save his skin if he runs to Qatar or Russia or something? What if he gets prosecuted by the Swiss instead?

Now that there's blood in the water, the Swiss are acting as well and won't let him leave.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xae posted:

When it comes to the resources the DOJ can throw at a case no one can match them.

It is part of their strategy to bury the opposition in paperwork. During discovery they'll turn over tens of thousands of pages of documents. The defendants usually can't afford the cost to have their legal team go through that much paperwork, even if they are worth millions.

Tens of thousands of pages is not a lot for a case.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A Winner is Jew posted:

Luckily, one Bill "slick willie" Clinton signed an extradition treaty with Switzerland that already guarantees they can't protect Blatter without serious diplomatic backlash.

The section that would be relevant would be these:

quote:

1. Extradition shall not be granted when the person sought has been
convicted or acquitted by the Requested State for the same acts for which
extradition is requested.
2. Extradition may be denied by the Executive Authority of the United
States or by the competent authorities of Switzerland if the offense for
which extradition is requested is subject to the jurisdiction of the
Requested State and that State will prosecute that offense.

Basically Switzerland can prosecute him themselves, and if they then botch it the Swiss can't extradite.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xandu posted:

He's Swiss, pretty sure they can refuse.

I didn't see anything in the treaty that gave the right to refuse extradition because the person is a citizen, though I may have missed it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

That cannot be real.

Is he just trolling everyone now?

if you vote for me, i will share my stash with you. just look at how high i am you want this poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Despatcher posted:

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the US legal system - could you elaborate on what this means? I have to say that my initial reaction was that this will punish some of the most egregious low hanging fruit and that like all good kingpin's, Blatter has been squealing on his rivals for years.

I am delighted to hear that I am wrong though!

RICO is specifically designed to go after the mafia. It is essentially a kingpin-busting law.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This situation is where the "prisoner's dilemma" comes from, and it's not a coincidence that if you're only playing it once the right move is always mash betray as fast as possible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I was unable to pass term limits, which is why I was forced to run again, and again, and again

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xandu posted:

I wonder what changed.

The soccer forum suggests this news conference was called in one hell of a hurry and they weren't prepared at all, so I'd lean towards panic move on realizing that someone was rolling on him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

StandardVC10 posted:

Why did that happen anyway? Did someone have a friend in the astroturf business?

I'm not sure why anyone bothers asking "Why did FIFA do [x]?" anymore, the answer is always "because of a briefcase full of money".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

whitey delenda est posted:

It's also to lay the groundwork early to excuse the US based financial institutions and companies that facilitated and were basically complicit in said bribery.

Eh, as long as they filed suspicious transaction reports I'm not seeing any banking wrongdoing here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I was under the distinct impression Boston's bid was very unlikely to succeed as it was basically "we'll dump you guys in the various college stadiums around here, we ain't building poo poo". Since when has it become likely?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Since Kraft and Romney got involved and started pledging money for a stadium downtown. Also that a lot of cities thinking about bidding aren't now. Paris has waffled on it, Hamburg (not Munich) is likely the best shot Europe has because Rome would be a giant cluster gently caress.

Also that Europe had Sochi and London.

Well that's interesting - wonder what they're thinking of using the stadium for afterwards. Maybe Kraft wants somewhere to put his MLS team when it's done?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Boston, too small to host an Olympics.

I think what he's (correctly) pointing out is that "Boston" as we think of it includes a lot of surrounding towns that are legally distinct and don't have to go along with what Boston says and the city of Boston itself doesn't control nearly enough land to pull it off alone. The mayor of Boston can't force the mayor of Cambridge to do a drat thing, even though everyone basically considers Cambridge part of Boston. That's different from, say, New York which still controls a much larger part of what we consider "New York" as part of the official city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jarmak posted:

I know the Patriot's is built with private money, surely its not the only one.

Boston had to play hardball with the Patriots to avoid paying for the stadium and for a time the Patriots were going to move to Hartford as a result. Boston has a fairly good negotiating position because it is essentially the only city in New England and you just can't ignore that whole market.

• Locked thread