Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So what power does FIFA have? What if European (and I guess US) teams just refuse to play in FIFA sponsored games etc, and do their own thing? Won't that effectively end FIFA? Then obviously the UEFA will take up the mantle and host a new "world cup."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So that begs the question, where does FIFA's influence come from? Why does anyone care about FIFA and just join a new/different organization while cutting off all FIFA ties?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

1. Bribes
2. Institutional inertia
3. They own a ton of TV rights
4. Bribes
5. Complacency
6. Bribes
7. The people who had the power were in FIFA's power structure
8. Did I mention bribes yet?
9. Money
10. International play

Couldn't the EU/Switzerland forfeit their TV/Broadcast rights? I guess that wouldn't happen, but if there is blood in the water and it sounds like no one really likes FIFA anyway, couldn't that happen without much backlash?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Imagine if half the NFL took their ball and left, stopped playing against the other half, and also couldn't be on TV.

America would loving riot.

NOTE: I have no idea which specific TV rights FIFA owns, but I imagine it's incredibly complex.

They'd still be able to play football, using NFL rules, but they just couldn't call themselves the NFL. Like the NFC could absolutely split from the NFL and continue to play each other, and negotiate their own broadcast rights etc. The NFL couldn't do poo poo (except sue for breech of contract) but if the DoJ currently had them over a barrel, I don't think that case is going anywhere anytime soon.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

oversteer posted:

Headline news in the UK for the past two days.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/file/450211/download

I am not very versed in the United States Code but it would appear to me that all the defendants are absolutely hosed
From Page 4:
"2. The principal purpose of the enterprise[FIFA] was to regulate and promote the sport of soccer worldwide. "

Word count:
Soccer 25
Football 10 (however most of those are just in the names of the various sports organizations)

Checkmate failballers.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So when this investigation implicates that literally every single team in the EUFA is guilty of the same charges what happens? Does the corruption become de facto acceptable and then after the head of FIFA gets taken down it just goes back to business as usual?

Call me a cynic, but how is this going to improve anything at all? Without strong oversight and the willingness of countries to "take their ball and go home" from corrupt organizations, we are just swapping one hyper-capitalist organization with another.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 29, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Xandu posted:

They didn't just pay for the sponsorship, which is obviously totally normal, but that they paid an intermediary millions for arranging it.

That's legal though, the only exception is when you are in a closed bidding process with other competitors, in theory if you cheat, you can be subject to a breach of contract etc.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DeathSandwich posted:

Holy poo poo, if it comes out that sitting US congressmen are in on FIFA corruption, what could potentially happen to them? When they get around to picking up Blatter, if he's straight up able to say and prove "These sitting representatives/senators have been getting paid $X amount for Y amount of years", does this them boil over into RICO getting filed against sitting congressmen?

That's kind of the only thing that can undermine this. If suddenly during all the corruption and evidence etc, several influential European leaders are implicated and mysteriously, the cooperation with the US stops, in addition within the DoJ, "priorities shift" and suddenly Blatter is no longer a concern, or super :tinfoil: Obama mysteriously pardons a few people in his last few months of office.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

So many world problems could be solved by a functioning one world government that owned a chunk of land like say all of Switzerland or Belgium, sort of like how the USA has Washington D C. Just a permanent venue for world cup and the Olympics. Plus the bureaucracy, group projects like the large Haddon colider, science centers and world universitys, all that stuff.

And this one world government will be a benevolent overseer. Free from corruption, and certainly not an opportunity for people like Hillary Clinton to pursue their own selfish interests of power while helping their donors along the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ocrumsprug posted:

I have a hard time imagining anyone in Justice hates their career enough to go after the NFL.

Who are they going to piss off going after the NFL? They aren't goign to be cancelling games, they are going to be arresting team owners, who people generally hate anyway.

• Locked thread