Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Bob James posted:

They are just going to start conducting their bribes in China or something using foreign banks. Another member of the Obama administration killing American jobs.

No that's the problem, America didn't get the World Cup and Americans didn't get any bribes. That's where they hosed up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

While not a sponsor who brought Blatter down, this does still call for a victory drink. It's like fuckin Christmas. The vote for a new president won't happen for a while, but it would be great if almost everyone running to replace Blatter gets snatched up too :getin:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

computer parts posted:

College Football acts as a minor league of sorts and it is also extremely popular.

Tons of college stadiums are actually much larger than professional stadiums (because they use benches a lot of times instead of dedicated seats). Of the top 10 largest stadiums in the world, 8 are for American Football, and 7 are college stadiums, and all of these have a capacity of at least 100,000.

I grew up in Tennessee and went to the university of Tennessee Knoxville briefly. Neyland stadium holds 104k people, and on a normal match day it it was 80%+ full. lovely IA teams not so much, Florida or Georgia? Over sold. Neyland was the largest college stadium when I went there, now Michigan stadium aka the Big house is, at 107k (coincidently, I'm going to the university of Michigan now :haw: ). It's also nearly as full, as Neyland is, normally. This ain't no NFL or MLS, they pull massive numbers because of the cult of college football. People are rabid fans on a much larger scale than professional football. Soccer is making huge strides, but it's got a long away to go to match American pro football and even longer to go to match college football. Maybe burning FIFA to the ground will help with soccer's popularity here :v:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Vladimir Putin posted:

There really not enough professional teams of any sport for most Americans to follow. I mean most sports teams are based in cities and if you live in a far away part of a state you'll have absolutely no kind of connection to those teams. That's got to be some kind of contributor to why college sports are so popular. The Eagles/Steelers example was brought up which is east/west Pennsylvania. Who the hell are you supposed to root for if you live in the middle of Pennsylvania which is hundreds of miles away from either team?

While this is definitely true, it's really much more than that. The cult of college sports is much greater than that of professional sports, even in places that have both. Look at the whole Perdue fiasco. While the lions are and pretty much always have been perineal losers, they're still massively popular even a good ways from Detroit, and their popularity overlaps with the popularity of the Spartans and the Wolverines, but can't even come close. It's a larger part to do with the communities are built around the school, and college marketing is a hell of an industry.

So who wants to donate $10m to me? I absolutely promise I will give you nothing in return!

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Ceiling fan posted:

Switzerland's attorney general announced that they opened criminal proceedings against Sepp Blatter this morning. Then they hauled Blatter and FIFA VP Michel Platini away for interrogation.

This has been the best week.

Edit: Source: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/724c202a72c24794bb292b65af36e892/swiss-statement-criminal-investigation-sepp-blatter

:flashfap:

Too bad we got to wait until December to see if Warner is gonna get extradited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

He did. The best week.

• Locked thread