Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't see what deals the FIFA elites can try for at this point that are anything better than "you might see the sun again before you die of old age, possibly." When the feds are just angling for whatever they can catch, they don't bust out RICO, which in this increasingly strained metaphor is the fishing equivalent of 1950s marine atomic test detonations.

I mean sure, the lesser execs will, and probably already have, rolled over to buy themselves a little less pain, but nobody's walking away from this with a wrist-slap I'd be willing to bet.
In a RICO investigation, the only guy walking away with minimum jail time is going to be the first big fish that turned informant. From my understanding, that spot is already taken by Blazer. For everyone else, the best offer they're probably getting is "Turn on Blatter and give us solid evidence, and we'll drop 47 out of the 48 charges we're hitting everyone in FIFA". RICO is a frankly ridiculous law, but doubling the penalties and making being in the same room as someone talking about a crime the same as actually doing it... well, it's pretty effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

I question how much organized criminality goes on in the NCAA, NFL and other big American leagues. There's tons of disorganized criminality by teams/schools, players and coaches, sure, but thats not what RICO was made for. Like do you think that they go around rigging the Superbowl sites or accepting bribes for advertising contracts? Maybe in individual sports, boxing/tennis/golf and the like, but not in the big four or college sports world.
You can be a sleazy fucker on your own time. It's when your sleazy fucker boss is telling you to do sleazy loving things as a matter of everyday business, and you're not paying taxes or making DAs look bad with your sleazy loving - that's different. You can't do that in America.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Xibanya posted:

This thread went quiet for awhile so I was like :geno: oh I guess it all petered out.

I'm now feeling a combo of :munch: for what's happening to FIFA specifically and :stare: that the US Dept. of Justice can do this kinda thing.
You'll be hearing about this stuff for a while - as in, literally years. Some RICO cases have spawned subsequent RICO cases that circled back around to the original case, because somebody new had old dirt. In a bit we'll get a whole bunch of excitement when more people get arrested... then another burst of excitement has people go to trial... and then another burst as people start getting convicted. But there's going to lots and lots paperwork and legal bickering in between all of it, enough that people'll forget that stuff is going on anyway.

So think of it as a random Christmas with a Santa whose a little demented.

• Locked thread