Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
What's he referring to with the 18th of November thing and turning stuff over to the government?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-fifa-officials-and-five-corporate-executives-indicted-racketeering-conspiracy-and

Hmm, wonder if they turned on him.

quote:

The Convicted Individuals and Corporations

The following individuals and corporations previously pleaded guilty under seal:

On July 15, 2013, the defendant Daryll Warner, son of defendant Jack Warner and a former FIFA development officer, waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a two-count information charging him with wire fraud and the structuring of financial transactions.

On Oct. 25, 2013, the defendant Daryan Warner waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a three-count information charging him with wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and the structuring of financial transactions. Daryan Warner forfeited over $1.1 million around the time of his plea and has agreed to pay a second forfeiture money judgment at the time of sentencing.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Money and power don't mean poo poo when it's a RICO case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act#Famous_cases

Read up on the Key West PD, Michael Milken, Scott W. Rothstein, and AccessHealthSource cases. Those are police departments, major corporations, and/or obscenely rich and powerful people that under normal circumstances would be virtually untouchable under the law except a RICO case basically ruins them.

Well, it's more complicated. It means when the Justice Department wants to go after someone they can, but I don't think the existence of the law makes them go after everyone they could.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I like how FIFA's official stance is "we welcome this" because they know they would get immolated in star spangled justice if they fought it.

The problem is selling out these guys only makes it more likely they'll turn on FIFA, though maybe they figured that would happen anyway.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Their cooperating witnesses are all from the Americas.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, this isn't like when the SEC files a civil suit against a company. If the DOJ is filing charges you are fuuuuuuuucked.

Yeah but these aren't just any defendants. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of these settled with large fines and no jail time.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

mikemil828 posted:

Let's put it this way, actual American police departments have been convicted under RICO, if they can't expect to beat the charge, no one really can. These guys probably have the best lawyers in the world on speed dial and at least 4 of them have already plead guilty

Pled guilty and got fined. We'll see, I don't doubt the government's capabilities here, just not sure how far it wants to go in making an example of them.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

The Asian Football Confederation says it still supports Sepp Blatter's bid for another term as FIFA president, and opposes any move to delay Friday's scheduled elections in the wake of a string of corruption arrests of some of the federation's top officials.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/8d06e110739f4942bcfc3a988dec76ba/soccer-world-shocked-fifa-raids

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

He's Swiss, pretty sure they can refuse.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I didn't see anything in the treaty that gave the right to refuse extradition because the person is a citizen, though I may have missed it.

Right, I may have misinterpreted this

Article 8 provides that the Requested State shall not decline to extradite its nationals unless it has jurisdiction to prosecute them for the acts for which extradition is sought. If extradition is refused because the fugitive is a national of the Requested State, that State shall submit the case for prosecution at the request of the Requesting State.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, they can use wire fraud to nab you. But as a general proposition, the act itself doesn't seem to be illegal at the federal level.

Interestingly, in page 114 of the indictment, they are using the fact that it's illegal under NY law as part of the charges for wire fraud and racketeering.

edit: It's a moot point, but I do wonder if given FIFA's power and that some of its officials also represent their governments, it could violate the FCPA.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 29, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

So when this investigation implicates that literally every single team in the EUFA is guilty of the same charges what happens? Does the corruption become de facto acceptable and then after the head of FIFA gets taken down it just goes back to business as usual?

Call me a cynic, but how is this going to improve anything at all? Without strong oversight and the willingness of countries to "take their ball and go home" from corrupt organizations, we are just swapping one hyper-capitalist organization with another.

Yes, but it'll also probably be less overt going forward, assuming these guys end up in jail for a long time. There'll still be corruption, but probably not literal bags of cash being handed out to delegates for their vote.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Blinks77 posted:

So, what happens if (when?) Blatter gets arrested?

Does one of the VP's take over? Given the way things are going, what if they've all been arrested as well?

Given the way things are going, he could well stay in charge :)

There's probably something in FIFA's bylaws about it. Probably a temporary appointment and then a new election.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

He's so hosed

quote:

Federal authorities believe that Sepp Blatter’s top lieutenant at FIFA made $10 million in bank transactions that are central elements of the bribery scandal engulfing international soccer, several law enforcement officials said Monday. The revelation puts the money trail closer to Mr. Blatter, FIFA’s president, than had been previously known.

Jérôme Valcke, the soccer organization’s secretary general, is the unidentified “high-ranking FIFA official” who prosecutors say transferred $10 million in 2008 from FIFA to accounts controlled by another soccer official, Jack Warner, the law enforcement officials said. The payment is a key piece of last week’s indictment accusing Mr. Warner of taking a bribe in exchange for helping South Africa secure the right to host the 2010 World Cup.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/s...ibery-case.html

edit: How convenient

quote:

And a spokeswoman for FIFA, Delia Fischer, said the chairman of the finance committee at the time, Julio Grondona, authorized the payment. Mr. Grondona died last year. Ms. Fischer said the payment was “executed in accordance with the Organisation Regulations.”

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

pentyne posted:

So is FIFA going to outright say "Well we didn't break any of OUR laws so we didn't commit any crimes" as a defense? They're going to implode.

Probably, but I was highlighting the part where they blamed it on the dead guy.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I wonder what changed.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, that makes sense.

Also they're waiting four months for a new election. I wonder if he just wanted to spite Ali a little bit.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Oh man, I would love to seem him pull an Assange and spend his life stuck in some lovely Russian embassy.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

With something like that Nike bribe, is the issue not that they paid millions for a contract deal (which I assume is normal), but rather HOW they paid for it?

They didn't just pay for the sponsorship, which is obviously totally normal, but that they paid an intermediary millions for arranging it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Starting on page 74 http://www.justice.gov/opa/file/450211/download

I think the issue is this:

quote:

Co-Conspirator #2 agreed to pay and did pay CoConspirator #11 half of the money he made from the sponsorship deal, totaling in the millions of dollars, as a bribe and kickback.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

No, I don't think anyone involved qualifies as a foreign official.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Are the 4000 deaths from workers on the stadium projects or from labor in Qatar in general?

Labor in general, it's a bullshit statistic to apply to the World Cup.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

They rigged it in exchange for Trinidad's FIFA vote? Warner's not exactly making a lot of sense these days, though.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Morrow posted:

FIFA's communications director has been fired.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33099881

This is amazing.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Jonked posted:

In a RICO investigation, the only guy walking away with minimum jail time is going to be the first big fish that turned informant. From my understanding, that spot is already taken by Blazer.

No, because Blazer's knowledge seems to clearly only extend to people from the Americas. They'll need more people to flip to get the big guys.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Blatter was just kidding, guys. He didnt really resign.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/33284185

Edit: from the guardian. Maybe he's senile?
"With a typically obtuse flourish, the 79-year-old added: “Only those who know the past can understand the present and shape the future. Or in other words: the ball is round – but only those who come from outer space know the actual dimensions of our sport … For me personally, the museum is a labour of love. But do not get me wrong: I’m not ready for the museum nor for a waxwork yet.”

Xandu fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 26, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

New arrests.

quote:

ZURICH — Swiss authorities began a new series of pre-dawn arrests Thursday in the broad investigation, led by United States officials, into corruption in international soccer. More than a dozen people were expected to be charged, law enforcement officials said, nearly doubling the size of an already huge case that has upended FIFA, soccer’s multibillion-dollar governing body.

At least some of the arrests took place at the same luxury hotel where other FIFA officials were arrested in May. As Swiss police arrived at the hotel, the Baur au Lac, at 6 a.m. local time, a hotel manager told visitors in the lobby they had to leave the property because of “an extreme situation.”

The police were targeting current and former senior soccer officials on charges that include racketeering, money laundering and fraud, authorities said. The new charges were expected to hit South and Central American soccer leaders particularly hard, the officials said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/03/sports/fifa-scandal-arrests-in-switzerland.html

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Feds just pulled a senior Guatemalan judge off a cruise ship docked in Florida.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/0...www.google.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Fifa president Sepp Blatter and Uefa boss Michel Platini have been suspended for eight years from all football-related activities following an ethics investigation (he's still FIFA president however).

I like how the fine for an 1.3m payment isn't even 6 figures.

• Locked thread