Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
If you want to see a bunch of elementary and middle schoolers have a mental breakdown behind a microphone over "verbarspermococcus," the National Spelling Bee starts its first round today at 8AM until 11:45 AM today before coming back at 1:15 PM, then resuming for the semifinals tomorrow at 10 AM and the finals at 10 PM. The stuff on today will be on ESPN 3, the semifinals on ESPN 2, and the finals on ESPN, like some kind of gradual evolution of "sports" relevance that ends with someone like Samantha Ponder going, "Ah, how cute!" at the kids for an hour.

The rules are constantly evolving because the goal is actually pretty attainable (just memorize the dictionary) so there's more and more bullshit offscreen computer testing that the participants have to go through to weed them out, but it still didn't work because there were co-champions last year because they spelled each other into a tie. So I'm not even sure how the rules work anymore, but presumably the broadcast will explain it.

The Favorite

Vanya Shivashankar, official Chilid Genius (TM) thanks to a bullshit Lifetime Channel reality competition, four time returner to the Bee, sister of a previous winner, yadda yadda, kinda the Seattle Seahawks of spelling bees or some other tortured comparison equivalent. Probably gonna win.

Other Contenders

I dunno, Gokul maybe. I don't recognize many of these kids from last year.

Also, the best way to find someone to root for is go here and pick out the kid who went to school nearest where you lived or grew up or whatever. Alternatively, just spot the most awkward kid there and root for them as they go through their most embarrassing routines and tics imaginable.

Why Should I Care?

Mostly because it gives good .gifs to use in actual sports GDTs.

Alternatively, because you like chess, but figured it just wasn't nerdy enough to root for, so you want to look at even nerdier poo poo under the thin guise of "competition."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Kid laughed at getting "llama" and that wasn't even the easiest word that's been offered. ("Renegade," really?) While other kids get random Chinese or Hawaiian words. The early rounds are weird that way.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, yes. "Ribaldry."

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Kid who apparently dressed as Tom Baker for a Halloween is out. :(

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Cy is the most Jewish kid I have ever seen. I'm all in on him.

"Thought she was gonna make like Steph Curry at the buzzer" LMAO

The horribly shoehorned-in sports references have only just begun.

Gokul the Lebron of Spelling going against the Spurs that are the Shivashankars, who wins???

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

"Oh well."

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I took a nap and hosed up the time for when this started, and I was like, "What, there's only two spellers left? Okay, Gokul and... Vanya, that's completely unsurprising."

That No Questions Ending owned. Good bee, just for that. Gonna pour one out for Jae Canetti tonight. Nvr 4gt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

More than three people posted in here. Thread was a success.

• Locked thread