Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

leica posted:

Holy poo poo, why all the problems just running through some water? I get the alternator and starter, but why would all those seals go bad? And why did you have to run it to clean off the radiator? I'm confused, I'm not an off roader.

Going to guess that he had to drive out of where he was to get clean, though that water looked clear enough to remove enough mud to prevent the overheating. Don't sit and idle in water, though, as he found out: it ruins viscous fan clutches. Did you buy the replacement at a dealer, kind of hard to believe that it really was $140. Thinned out oil will let seals drag on the shaft they ride on, loosening them up and allowing more liquid transfer. Seals always leak, it is a matter of microscopic leak or dribbling on the driveway; lots of seals on passenger vehicles aren't designed to keep water/mud slurry out, that grit causes lots of problems with seals and bearings.

Some of that damage could have been avoided. The u-joints probably didn't need to be replaced, just cleaned and repacked. After a swim like that, replacing all of your fluids is prudent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I've never used a torque wrench to put my lugnuts on, I just get them good'n'tight with a tire iron. I've never had a wheel come off or sheared a lug.

• Locked thread