Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
My kibble situation is largely been fixed since I now have two female theri of high levels with a high level Male for breeding and even regular eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

petition to get the thread name changed to These Quetzals are Making Me Thirsty

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I'd be down with running a goon-and-invite-only private server cluster (probably Abberation/Ragnarok/Extinction, maybe Crystal Isles if Rag is too played-out) if that's something people are interested in doing. I've run a few servers before and played a billion hours of Ark PvP so my credentials are impeccable. The rough idea I've been kicking around:

• 3x XP, 7x Gathering, 10x Taming, 5x Maturation, 5x Crop growth, Stat points give double the effect, tonnes of engram points
  • PvE on weekdays, PvP on weekends
  • The usual quality of life mods (S+, ORP, Stacks+, Better Beacons etc)
  • Offline Raid Protection coupled with:
    • Low limits on turrets, shield generators and some other forms of non-dino base defence
    • Certain S+ exclusive Tek structures will be disabled for balance reasons.
  • A bunch of small tweaks to player and dino stats.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I just tamed my first Tuso after a few trial and error attempts. Cost me three turtles, would have only been two except after the squid was tamed a basil-swarm of manta showed up and gibbed my last bait turtle.

I was wondering how I’d pull it off. I found one wandering in the Valguero underground sea and got it to chase me on my basil. I led it all the way through the long tunnel to the southeast and then surfaced through the entrance there. The tunnel out is above the tuso’s height limit so it just gave up and circled the cul-de-sac at the end of the tunnel. I had my boat with pearls and turtles set up at the top of the exit tunnel and just periodically dropped one down the hole and fed the squid.

Now I’m just missing a Mosa and my aquatic creature checklist is complete. There is not too much to do with them on Valguero, but once I transfer them to another map I have an armada ready.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

nightwisher posted:

I'd be down with running a goon-and-invite-only private server cluster (probably Abberation/Ragnarok/Extinction, maybe Crystal Isles if Rag is too played-out) if that's something people are interested in doing. I've run a few servers before and played a billion hours of Ark PvP so my credentials are impeccable. The rough idea I've been kicking around:

• 3x XP, 7x Gathering, 10x Taming, 5x Maturation, 5x Crop growth, Stat points give double the effect, tonnes of engram points
    • Low limits on turrets, shield generators and some other forms of non-dino base defence

This is the Ark OG right here.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm totally in if my DLC starts working again. I'm having issues with anything that isn't the Island. It kicks me to the steam shop.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

TeeMerk posted:

This is the Ark OG right here.

Ahhh, TeeMerk... Now there is a name I haven't heard in a long, long time...

There's other changes I'd be making too but basically I want to try to facilitate actual interesting PvP instead of the usual clusterfuck. I've toyed with the idea of there only being 2 tribes on the server and letting that both narrow the PvP focus and encourage a more binary us vs them environment. Lowering rarer dino spawn rates and a stricter tame limit were also things I've been trying out. I want to slow down the stockpiling of dino war assets without making access to them much more difficult. Plenty more ideas but those are the issues I think are most pressing.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

nightwisher posted:

Sounds fun!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

nightwisher posted:

Ahhh, TeeMerk... Now there is a name I haven't heard in a long, long time...

There's other changes I'd be making too but basically I want to try to facilitate actual interesting PvP instead of the usual clusterfuck. I've toyed with the idea of there only being 2 tribes on the server and letting that both narrow the PvP focus and encourage a more binary us vs them environment. Lowering rarer dino spawn rates and a stricter tame limit were also things I've been trying out. I want to slow down the stockpiling of dino war assets without making access to them much more difficult. Plenty more ideas but those are the issues I think are most pressing.

I'm pretty new to the game and I know every game will always have an established Meta but I'd love to see PvP develop that isn't "everyone beelines for the only 3 effective tames & 2 effective weapons" because that's boring. From what I've seen it eventually just becomes another (bad) shooter because every tribe is only using perfect min/max gear and tames.

edit: What does dino level actually do? Is a level 100 argentavis simply just better all around then a level 40 in the wild? I ask because it seems like some dinos I tamed at level 20 but are now level 70 are "better" than naturally occurring level 100s

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

charity rereg posted:

I'm pretty new to the game and I know every game will always have an established Meta but I'd love to see PvP develop that isn't "everyone beelines for the only 3 effective tames & 2 effective weapons" because that's boring. From what I've seen it eventually just becomes another (bad) shooter because every tribe is only using perfect min/max gear and tames.

edit: What does dino level actually do? Is a level 100 argentavis simply just better all around then a level 40 in the wild? I ask because it seems like some dinos I tamed at level 20 but are now level 70 are "better" than naturally occurring level 100s

They are "better" likely do to adjusted stats you threw around. A wild argy will have his stats moved around and set to a certain level while in the wild and will receive a stats buff when tamed at a certain quality with the food you picked.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

charity rereg posted:

Dino levels are the total number of stat points spread across all of that dino's stats, +1 (for the first level where no stat points have been spent). Here's a Tek Rex from my mass production line as it was when it was hatched:

Tk Rx HP-75F-H4 (Tek Rex, Lvl 490, Female): HP: 17600.1 (75); St: 3486 (73); Ox: 1140 (66); Fo: 22500 (65); We: 1190 (69); Dm: 519.8% (67); Sp: 100% (74); To: 47027.5 (489);

If you sum up HP, St, Ox, Fo, We, Dm, and Sp, that totals 489, +1 is 490, the level it was born at.

So yeah, that's all level is. Higher level creatures have a greater probability of having high level stats, and you can rarely find creatures with a skewed stat distribution into desirable stats like HP, Dm, and Wt. With time and effort, however, this can be made moot via mutation stacking. Long story short is if only one side of the breeding line carries mutations (the males), you can eventually make a creature with 255 (if you don't plan to level it yourself) or 254 (if you do) wild levels in every stat.

edit: I should probably add the what levels do as far as the actual number of hitpoints or the damage done when you bite something is scale the dino's base stats by a given number. Some dinos have better base and scaling stats than others, which is why even if you maxed out a raptor, that Tek Rex would still destroy it.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 12, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

charity rereg posted:

This is something that isn't as obvious as I always thought, it really confused my friends who came from traditional RPGs.

Levels are not a universal comparison. Meaning a level 10 T-Rex is not equal to a level 10 Dodo. but a level 10 T-Rex is generally going to be a lot less powerful than a level 100 T-Rex.
Each dino has a set of base stats and gets an amount added to each stat when its selected for leveling up, wild dinos have their level ups assigned mostly randomly across all stats, so it's possible to have a wild dino that had all it's points assigned to Food and Oxygen and is generally garbage or one that spent all it's points on Damage and is a killing machine. Most often you get a dino that has it's points spread out across all stats somewhat evenly.
When you tame a dino and start applying levels to it, you can spend all the points on the most effective stats like Health, Stamina and Damage. So a Tame that's the same level as a wild dino is most often going to be significantly more effective.

If you want to get way into the weeds about dino stats and stuff look up some youtube videos about optimum breeding.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

This is something that isn't as obvious as I always thought, it really confused my friends who came from traditional RPGs.

Levels are not a universal comparison. Meaning a level 10 T-Rex is not equal to a level 10 Dodo. but a level 10 T-Rex is generally going to be a lot less powerful than a level 100 T-Rex.
Each dino has a set of base stats and gets an amount added to each stat when its selected for leveling up, wild dinos have their level ups assigned mostly randomly across all stats, so it's possible to have a wild dino that had all it's points assigned to Food and Oxygen and is generally garbage or one that spent all it's points on Damage and is a killing machine. Most often you get a dino that has it's points spread out across all stats somewhat evenly.
When you tame a dino and start applying levels to it, you can spend all the points on the most effective stats like Health, Stamina and Damage. So a Tame that's the same level as a wild dino is most often going to be significantly more effective.

If you want to get way into the weeds about dino stats and stuff look up some youtube videos about optimum breeding.

I saw this right after I clicked submit on my edit above. Here's a video that does a pretty good job on optimum breeding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_YZyMnMG_A

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I saw on the Ark wiki (one of them) there is a little calculator and have been using that, if you punch in the level + base stats before taming. Not really sure what i'm looking for but if it's "green" in the big categories and a high level I've been going for taming it, especially on stuff like flyers that i quickly want to breed into fast carryers / long haulers / battle birds.

So setting the server to give level 300 dinos or whatever in the wild will make the game harder all around but not to the point where a level 200 compy would ever be a threat to a geared player, or even a level 10 raptor?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

charity rereg posted:

I saw on the Ark wiki (one of them) there is a little calculator and have been using that, if you punch in the level + base stats before taming. Not really sure what i'm looking for but if it's "green" in the big categories and a high level I've been going for taming it, especially on stuff like flyers that i quickly want to breed into fast carryers / long haulers / battle birds.

So setting the server to give level 300 dinos or whatever in the wild will make the game harder all around but not to the point where a level 200 compy would ever be a threat to a geared player, or even a level 10 raptor?

I've never really had issue with servers that produce level 300 dinos. You're just as dead as a naked beach bob vs a 150 dilo as you are vs a 300 one, and you can still wholesale murder those same dilos with a suit of flak armor and a good sword.

The game has a cliff between "has tames" and "does not have tames" that can't be smoothed over by the level curve.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I feel like higher level wild dinos make the game easier not harder.
When you get a 100% tame it gives you 50% more levels, the difference between a 120 dino and a 180 dino is a lot less than the difference between a 300 dino and a 450 dino.

It does make it tougher to run around on foot, but this is a game about riding dinos around so why would you do that?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah ideally i'd run the server on a lower max dino level and squash the hugely inflated numbers on damage and hp. Clamping saddle armor ratings will help too. I'll also consider disabling mutation stacking, clamp them to 20 or just outright disable mutations. Then I'd probably do a pass over lesser-used tames and bump their stat multipliers while tamed, to try to widen the meta a bit. Also managarmers will 100% be nerfed into oblivion, God I loving hate them.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I hate Troodon...and Raptors, Sabers, and occasionally Direwolves too. All that aside, does anyone know of a good early way to farm Black Pearl's? I need them to tame a Tuso...so that I can farm even more. Kraken's Better Dino's makes it so Euryptids produce them passively, but only at about one pearls an hour it seems which is rough. And the taming process is iffy due to the basket needed being expensive to make.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Trilobites can be harvested for Black Pearls but not very many at a time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

I hate Troodon...and Raptors, Sabers, and occasionally Direwolves too. All that aside, does anyone know of a good early way to farm Black Pearl's? I need them to tame a Tuso...so that I can farm even more. Kraken's Better Dino's makes it so Euryptids produce them passively, but only at about one pearls an hour it seems which is rough. And the taming process is iffy due to the basket needed being expensive to make.

What map?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

doomrider7 posted:

Running the water cave usually ends up with probably 15-20 Eurypterid and they respawn decently fast but the best way is just run around killing alpha mosa/tuso for 100 each.
I just ran the sea bottom looking for them with a shark early on until I had scuba gear to do the cave.

Looking for Eurypterid I mean

Depends fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 14, 2020

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

To be clear the reason I ask is on Valguero, the King of Maps, the underground ocean has black clams that provide black pearls. I usually get 150-200 per run.

Also riding on the back of a high level tuso makes me feel like an unkillable god even more than on the back of a wyvern or rex. You can just gently caress anything’s poo poo up. I haven’t run into an alpha tuso or mosa yet but anything else, you just grab and chew on, draining health all the while.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Island. I'm trying to do the "story" if you will.

Depends posted:

Running the water cave usually ends up with probably 15-20 Eurypterid and they respawn decently fast but the best way is just run around killing alpha mosa/tuso for 100 each.
I just ran the sea bottom looking for them with a shark early on until I had scuba gear to do the cave.

Looking for Eurypterid I mean

Which sea cave? West cave or East cave? Might do West one again since there's an Alpha Mosa there that's easy if time consuming to kill. I usually take my high powered Sarco that does like 700% damage with me and now it has a mate to boost him so I might take her as well. My Baryonix is incredibly good, but his swim speed is a little lacking. What I'm REALLY having issues with now are finding blueprints since undersea loot crates just aren't spawning for me and I can only seem to find one inside the sea cave. The black pearl situation has stabilized with my eurypterid farm with them producing pearls at what I think is 5 regulars and 1 black every fifty minutes which is pretty drat good. With about 9 lobsters in there, that's 9 black Pearls an hour for free.

Edit: My little base has effective reached full sustainability. All I really need now is some of the endgame blueprints. I did get lucky with a 450% damage assault rifle and 605% longneck blueprint, but what I really want are saddles. I did score a premium Rex saddle that was some 250 to 300, but I currently only have my one Rex. What I REALLY need are either Spino or Therizino Saddles.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 14, 2020

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

doomrider7 posted:

The Island. I'm trying to do the "story" if you will.

Which sea cave? West cave or East cave? Might do West one again since there's an Alpha Mosa there that's easy if time consuming to kill. I usually take my high powered Sarco that does like 700% damage with me and now it has a mate to boost him so I might take her as well. My Baryonix is incredibly good, but his swim speed is a little lacking. What I'm REALLY having issues with now are finding blueprints since undersea loot crates just aren't spawning for me and I can only seem to find one inside the sea cave. The black pearl situation has stabilized with my eurypterid farm with them producing pearls at what I think is 5 regulars and 1 black every fifty minutes which is pretty drat good. With about 9 lobsters in there, that's 9 black Pearls an hour for free.

Edit: My little base has effective reached full sustainability. All I really need now is some of the endgame blueprints. I did get lucky with a 450% damage assault rifle and 605% longneck blueprint, but what I really want are saddles. I did score a premium Rex saddle that was some 250 to 300, but I currently only have my one Rex. What I REALLY need are either Spino or Therizino Saddles.

I've been doing the east cave just because it's closer to where I am but usually I use my Baryonyx, my bred one ended up pretty high level with good speed. It's still not as fast as other water mounts but the stunlock and healing from eating fish makes up for everything else.
I have a speed pumped plesio for deep sea crates and whatever eurypterids i come across in the process but like you said they are really hit and miss, I usually check all the spots but usually only find 2 a day. Other than that I check the carno island cave for the red crate there as often as possible.

That was me on your server earlier by the way, I was going to try to see if I could find you for funsies. Couldn't talk to you because global chat was disabled.

Depends fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 15, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Depends posted:

I've been doing the east cave just because it's closer to where I am but usually I use my Baryonyx, my bred one ended up pretty high level with good speed. It's still not as fast as other water mounts but the stunlock and healing from eating fish makes up for everything else.
I have a speed pumped plesio for deep sea crates and whatever eurypterids i come across in the process but like you said they are really hit and miss, I usually check all the spots but usually only find 2 a day. Other than that I check the carno island cave for the red crate there as often as possible.

That was me on your server earlier by the way, I was going to try to see if I could find you for funsies. Couldn't talk to you because global chat was disabled.

Did a really good run with my newest argy that I specialized for loot boxing and taming. She has the standard 500% damage and just under 6k hp and her stats for Stam are about 1.5k or so. The real kicker is her weight Stat which I've poured into so much she carries about 2.2k in weight. Now I just need another Anky for weight stats and I'm gtg on metal gathering. And yeah you picked a bad time to join since that was the moment my server PC decided it was a good time to run an update for Windows 10. It was right around the time that I was over the Redwoods on my argy. When I got back on, I was heading to the floor of the Redwoods at lethal speed. :(

Didn't see the notification of you joining at all. When I saw that the server listed two people when I was setting things up after the update, I though it was a glitch(this has happened several times when my game freezes). I changed the password as well and will be sending it over to you in a PM though if you have Discord add me at

doomrider7#1818

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Bucnasti posted:

Trilobites can be harvested for Black Pearls but not very many at a time.

The best passive generation of black pearls is using gachas, black pearl gachas are pretty common (providing you are in cluster or have extinction)
Ragnarok has an area in the islands in the south west that has black pearls on the sea bed.
Other than that, the best way to harvest Black pearls is on genesis in the volcano. Risky, but combined with the element shard gathering its a pretty good way of getting them.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I get plenty from killing eurypterids in viking bay in ragnarok, they're all over the sunken ship.-+

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Valguero’s underwater ocean has a trench with crystal growths along both sides. Black clams near the crystals give pearls at a surprisingly generous rate. I can get 175 easy in a 25 minute run counting travel time.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Depends posted:

I just found you. Jesus you couldn't possibly be further away from my base. Left you some equipment and a note on where I am.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Anyone got any recommendations for a good host to go with for hosting a cluster? I've used nodecraft and nitrado in the past but not for a cluster, just a single server. Nitrado looks like it'd get pricey. I probably want to host 3 servers in the cluster, maybe 4.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Considering the OP hasn't been updated in over 4 years now, does anyone mind if I start a new thread? It'd be nice to redo the OP with material that's in-date and informative. I'm also halfway through setting up a server cluster with the hope of attracting back some of the goons who used to play back in the day, and maybe some new players as well. I rarely check the thread anymore because it's so old and played-out, so hopefully a new, revitalised OP will draw some attention. I'd also be happy to post and maintain other goon server info in the OP. Thoughts?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Interested, yes

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

nightwisher posted:

Considering the OP hasn't been updated in over 4 years now, does anyone mind if I start a new thread? It'd be nice to redo the OP with material that's in-date and informative. I'm also halfway through setting up a server cluster with the hope of attracting back some of the goons who used to play back in the day, and maybe some new players as well. I rarely check the thread anymore because it's so old and played-out, so hopefully a new, revitalised OP will draw some attention. I'd also be happy to post and maintain other goon server info in the OP. Thoughts?

Hell yeah man go for it. Just leave the link here for us to follow.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

nightwisher posted:

Seconding this.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Alright, I'll get it written up and post the link when it's done.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

nightwisher posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for a good host to go with for hosting a cluster? I've used nodecraft and nitrado in the past but not for a cluster, just a single server. Nitrado looks like it'd get pricey. I probably want to host 3 servers in the cluster, maybe 4.

I'm also interested in this, getting ready to set up a low pop server for friends with an eye towards cluster expansion later. We've used Nitrado before but ended up having to deal with a full wipe because of an error on their end so I'm curious if there are better options.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Traxus IV posted:

I'm also interested in this, getting ready to set up a low pop server for friends with an eye towards cluster expansion later. We've used Nitrado before but ended up having to deal with a full wipe because of an error on their end so I'm curious if there are better options.

I'm lightly exploring the idea of setting up my own physical box. If ronabux 2 happens, I'll likely be able to pull the trigger on it. From what I've read and experienced, a good AMD consumer level CPU can handle running an entire cluster with minimal issues.

Your concerns in order of magnitude are: Available threads, memory, storage speed, internet speed, storage capacity. At least, I think. I'm playing on a cluster that is running every official map and like 5 or 6 modded maps off a 3950X with 64GB of memory. I don't think this has been stress tested though. Limits are 10 players per map, and I only really see 5-8 people on at a time, spread across multiple maps.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Traxus IV posted:

Buy a cheap workstation and so it from home. A decent workstation will only run you about $150 to 250 depending on what you're looking for.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

I hadn't considered setting up a machine at home for servers, but it sounds intriguing and I haven't done something like that before. Is the dedicated server setup page on the wiki a pretty good guide to check out? I wanna learn more about the process before putting money towards it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Traxus IV posted:

I hadn't considered setting up a machine at home for servers, but it sounds intriguing and I haven't done something like that before. Is the dedicated server setup page on the wiki a pretty good guide to check out? I wanna learn more about the process before putting money towards it.

Pretty sure the hardest part will be port forwarding and network security. Running a public server exposed to the internet is a lot of rear end to stick out the window.