Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

A couple of friends and I have a small server running that any of you wonderful nerds can come gently caress each other up on.
http://ark-servers.net/server/36962/ (it's bumped to 8x taming and breeding because gently caress watching dinosaurs sleep for hours)
Also the pvp and raid timer is being turned off when i get home for full time unadulterated rear end hattery.

I'm the only active admin, and have logging turned on and all that fun stuff so I'm fair game for raiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Use a Ptera to zoom close enough to spam whistle follow and gtfo. Unless there was a butte tonne of dragons in which case they might kill the tame as soon as you load them back in, before you can get close enough to whistle.
Also spam passive whistle or the tame will ignore the follow command if it's already aggroed.
It's worth giving it a shot.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Aberration is fun. Lack of anything that properly flies is different. Big jumping crabs, glider suits and gliding with rock drakes make for some interesting gameplay.
Extinction update/dlc is supposed to be only a few weeks away too.
Scorched earth is bullshit. Don't bother with that map unless you hate yourself more than a reasonable amount.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

As far as I'm aware it's still a separate expansion and will be available on its own as well as with the season pass.
I found temperature mechs in aberration reasonable, maybe a little on the harsh side in the starter zones though.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I keep trying to come over and play with you guys but can never connect to your server :smith: I'm done with official servers until something is done about meshing or the people abusing it. Its hard enough to compete as a solo player on small tribes without this bullshit.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I've got the mods Installed but can't find the server in the list. And if I try to direct connect it times out. I'll figure it out eventually

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

It's entirely possible I didn't add the port.
Out of curiosity what are the taming and xp multipliers for your server? It isn't mentioned in the server thread op

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Oh my god

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Movement speed, stamina and weight are your friends early game. That will allow to to outrun most of the nasties you come across on the beach.
Getting a 2x1 thatch hut with a sleeping bag or three is essential, upgrading that to stone ASAP and getting a proper bed. From there you can make short trips into the wild and start to learn.
Keep your kits cheap (stone tools, cloth armor) until you get a feel for what and where you can go in relative safety. 95% of the stuff you will encounter near the beaches in the 'safer' spawn zones are unable to destroy stone structures, if you get something bigger angry with you, kite it as far away from your house as you can. Preferably into the sea, and let it kill you. You can pretty much ignore it after that, or go back just into render range where it will sit inactive but spawned and drown after a few minutes.
Once you get to grips, and you have some tames under your belt you should be able to venture further and use more expensive items and actually fend for yourself.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I think the only things that can destroy stone walls are Gigas, Murder Chickens and Dragons.

Raptors will ruin your day, but sabertooths are a bigger problem. A trick I found was to get bolas early on and you can use that to either just knock out or kill dinos or immobilize them and run away.

I rewatched the needs advice for beginners and I forgot that you can easily tame a Diplo for some easy early backup.

I've always been pretty poo poo with Bolas. Preferred silly movement speed and run away. I always worked on the assumption some of the bigger stuff could murder stone (when wild) guess that makes life a little simpler.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Right click stack, split all.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I remember a time pre- bolas. It was a bad time for taking pts

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

It's possible from a griff. Just remember to put the griff on follow. Otherwise it's going to try to land half the time when you get out of the saddle to take the shot. Shooting from the saddle isn't always an option.
The other option is use an agent and grapples. Whistle agent to attack your target while you hang underneath. Whistle passive when you are close enough to take a shot, rinse repeat.
It's slow and painful, but works.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Actually had so much fun playing last night with Thonde. It's been a while since I've enjoyed Ark.
Even if I killed him and couldn't save his Ptera from a vulture because I'm an asshat and didn't realise pvp and player damage was enabled :smith:

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

You don't have to get out of the saddle no, but being able to get out of the saddle gives you better angles sometimes. It's better to have the option, and all you need to do is make sure the griff is set to follow you.

Yes, we were on Yagrum's yacht club

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Pretty sure everyone in the Yacht Club has admin, if you want to join/ally and use all of the (mostly abandoned) stuff at Lowtax City!

I wouldn't mind joining. Will have to catch someone with admin online though since I'm EU. Otherwise I'll just keep trucking on

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

If Thronde manages to catch you online and get invite and admin, he could add me next time we bump into each other.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Baryonyx. Nasty poisonous poo poo bag.
I'm on the quetzal hunt next. Derped a 133 that decided to have a nap in a river :(
Tamed up all the farming dinos I need for the second, apart from an Angler for pearls. I hate the water.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Huh. Didn't know there was actually another crocodile.
I'm farming the cave for pearls already with scuba. Angler gets more pearls per node with high melee though.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I went into that cave with my shark and I got so lost inside of it. Like I literally could not find my way out for an hour. I figured If I just kept going forward it would come out somewhere, but nope.

Though I did get all the pearls I ever need.

And It was the Baryonyx I was intrested in. I picked one up and stuck it in the taming pen in my swamp castle. Haven't trained it yet because I need some fishmeat.

Oh and somehow all our fish were killed, I have no idea how the shark got into the pen to kill our guys, but it did. I flew over to check it out, expecting the door to be open or the wall smashed, but nope.

And I saw your buildings guys, just south of the blue obelisk.

Is your fish pen the house boat above the cave in viking bay? I saw one of the basilasaurus taking damage there but couldn't see what or where the damage was coming from. His nose was poking out the gate but nothing was in sight.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I Tamed a spino for my water mount. I'm not dissapoint.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I really should I have built my lakehouse somewhere else because by building where I did I eliminated a spawn point for a spino and scorpions. Like the spot of land that sticks out into the lake right across it.

Scorps spawn everywhere. And the waterfall ravine has more spinos than you can shake a stick at. Eliminating one spawn is nbd

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Thronde posted:

And I got a Bary, which is absolutely badass, and now missing? I was riding her when a lobster knocked me out underwater and I drowned, no death message for the dino, but she's not where I died or anywhere nearby. Just annoying. Like she despawned. So if someone sees a Baryonyx in Viking Bay named Sushi, lemme know.

I found her and tucked her back to bed in your house.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I nearly lost his bary again. Went on a loop of the bay to check for her, found her chomping on a megladon, killed the shark turned around and the bary had vanished again. Dialed down to low graphics and found her hiding in a clump of seaweed.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Hey twisted. I found your bird. He's alive and well. Just need you to be online at same time as me to go fetch him

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I figured Cheeseburger was still alive as I didn't get notified she died. Where did you find her? I was killed by a dragon when I was on her, so I have no idea where she ended up.

Deathwing though was right where I left him.

Oh god the psychedelic fireflies in today's Neebs Abberation video. :stare:

She's surrounded by a few dragons. But she's just inland on the edge of the dragon area. I didn't have GPS to give accurate location. But she's def rescuable

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

We have become master dragon slayers.
Except the alpha down near twisted's bird. gently caress that noise

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Im happy to wait another couple of weeks for the issues to be smoothed over a bit.
It's a map built for using tek. So unless you have the engrams for tek already some of the late and end game stuff is going to be off the cards.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I suggest waiting for Extinction right now. My gaming group fell apart after the update that deleted peoples bases :( It might be good to go right now, but I'm still a bit sour. The thing that bugged me most about Extinction is theres only 5 new dinos, 6 if you count the Enforcer. All those dinos are tamed via standard taming methods. Abberation had like 20 new dinos (note: I did not count them, I may be exaggerating). Have you guys done Abberation yet? That poo poo was fuckin on point. My buddies PC got fried right as we were about the explore the deeper areas of the map so I never got to.

Extinction does seem to be designed around the fact that you transfer from other maps. This is due to some dinos not being present on Extinction, some dinos being present but untamable, and most damning of all you cant make recipes from the other maps unless you were physically on that map to learn the recipe.

I didn't think you could transfer onto Extinction, at least not on official anyway.
The recipes thing is the same for aberration. You can only learn certain things on aberration.

Also just read another post about invisible Wyvern eggs. Definitely try out a whip

I tried a whip with no luck, and then my perfect 210 tame female Ptera with sick stats got nuked by a lightning Wyvern, so I gave up playing with dragons for a bit until I've got some decent bred pteras.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

poo poo, now I feel partially responsible. If I hadn't said anything... :ohdear:

Nah I got complacent.
Update though, I gave whipping another crack :smugdog: it picked a fert egg and gave me the instant dragon aggro, but the egg isn't in my inventory or my birds inventory.
Tried it another couple of times and same result. Tried transferring all my poo poo off my body, and killed myself to check if it was on my body glitched but nothing.
Starting to get on my nerves now.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

So it's possible that egg spoil timers are broken again. And eggs that should have spoiled in the nests are still there in theory, hence whipping. But as soon as they are enter inventory they spoil. I'm going to risk another couple of runs and have a look.

E. Yessssss.
Spoiled as soon as they were whipped.
Toxic buddy, can you log in and abuse your admin ability to go whip all the nests please :)

Salisbury Snape fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 19, 2018

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Finally got a strat for Wyverns.
I have a behemoth gateway trap with some pillars in the front, plus two 90' gates at the back set to open with a keypad to block the exit.
Go into the caverns and whip up as many nests as I can before eating aggression from wyverns, then kite them back into the trap for milking /killing.
98%of the time I get an egg that insta spoils, but I have have managed to whip up a couple of low level fire eggs with some semblance of spoil timer remaining.
I'm ignoring the lvl28 for now, but the 84 is hatched and growing away nicely.
I've also tamed a number of decent pteras for breeding and sacrificing to steal eggs.
No more using my best pteras. lovely stats breedlings only.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

So the 90' gate and keypad trick works a treat, and has helped me clear out the old Wyvern spawns in the NE and whip up the majority of the old spoiler timer problem eggs.
The eggs still are not visible, so it's a gamble each time I go for an egg. Lucked in with a 266 poison, wish it was fire or lightning but should suffice once he's cooked. :sun:

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

So how hard is it to get a dragon? I've read the guides and they make it sound really, really involved. Getting the egg seems like the easiest part, and getting it to the right temprature also seems pretty easy with air conditioners. Its the capturing a drake to milk it that confuses the hell out of me.

Its not overly hard.
Stealing the egg is the easy part. Getting away from the mother that chases you is a little more tricky.
We have a trap set up so you kite the angry into it after the theft, and milk/kill. It's then just a case of keeping it topped up with milk in the inventory. Wyverns drink milk until full grown, and they will only take it from inventory, not from a trough.
Milking Wyverns is as simple as knocking a female out and taking the milk out of its inventory.
Next time you are online at the same time as Thronde or I we can show you our setup.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I liked the center apart from learning the hard way that the west side of the main continent is prone to suprise giga.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Drown all gigas.
gently caress them with a rake

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Just kite them out into the sea and fly to the edge of the render range. They go inactive and drown.
Everytime I die to a giga I go out on a rampage and slaughter them all.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Scathach posted:

Pikes are your friends. I haven't met a dino I can't pike the gently caress out of.

Suddenly giga

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

My tribe log says it was just destroyed, not by who. I assumed whomever destroyed it left the server when it says that. I only just got the most basic metal engrams so I am still working just in stone. Though I'd been smelting tons of metal and hoarding cementing paste. The reason I setup in the place I first did was that dead turtles would appear on the beach and that was a good way to get karentin. Also the dead dolphins give organic polymer.

Once i have a pteradon i'll go searching for a better place. Good thing a drop last night gave me a metal axe though.

Doors are always the obvious entry point to a base and cost less explosives to pop, drop a dodo or other easy disposable tame inside the door so when they pop it kills the low level tame and gives you a log to the ballsack loving your poo poo.

E. Autocunt ruining my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

I picked up the genesis key for peanuts on g2a last week. Hoping that it's not a complete flop or this could be pretty much the end for Ark.