Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Finally a place to store the four million hi-res photos of my Starbucks Frapuchinos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

hooah posted:

Picasa still exists and works pretty well for my needs, at least.

Oh, I still use it. I just wish they would add all these new features to it.

I guess I should have said I miss picasa being updated.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hey this isn't about Translate at all!

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

baka kaba posted:

It's telling that all this groundbreaking automated poo poo is going on, but some of the biggest reactions are for basic UI tweaks like this and text selection

e- big cheer for free things

The text selection thing was awesome from a developer perspective, hence the cheers.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LOL @ that one guy in the audience who needed to cheer for the phrase "removable battery".

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
BTW why isn't Android One in the US? Has Google seen the poo poo that gets sold on pre-paid plans with like 1 gig of data?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I do? Why shouldn't I? You can always easily down sample down, can't really do the same the other way.

it's completely excessive and unnecessary, go back to your condo

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Three Olives posted:

I do? Why shouldn't I? You can always easily down sample down, can't really do the same the other way.

Well considering phone 4k recordings are limited to what, 5 minutes? - I'm sure the videos of you filling your Keurig are a hit in 4k.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

who the gently caress records at 4K on their phone

They said Google Photo is supposed to read "memory cards" - so I think they'll release some kind of desktop upload app. It's just weird to me, that they didn't go for 4K. It's rather ungoogle.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
"All day battery life" is the worst phrase in marketing imo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Glimm posted:

The text selection thing was awesome from a developer perspective, hence the cheers.

Oh I know, I just mean it goes to show how limited and frustrating it was before

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Grim Up North posted:

They said Google Photo is supposed to read "memory cards" - so I think they'll release some kind of desktop upload app. It's just weird to me, that they didn't go for 4K. It's rather ungoogle.

if the space is free they're not going to let everyone upload 4K nonsense on their dime. you pay for that space :colbert:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Grim Up North posted:

Steaming 4k in a not-poo poo bitrate kinda sucks hth

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hey you know what makes webpages lighter google? Not converting flash ads into html5 so they load on mobile

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Re: 4k

Doesn't YouTube offer unlimited 4k storage for free anyways?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

CoasterMaster posted:

Click and drag being applauded in TYOOL 2015
Yeah it wasn't very hard to implement but everyone loves it, it owns. Wish I could do more features with that love:effort ratio.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hace posted:

Steaming 4k in a not-poo poo bitrate kinda sucks hth

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
whoa whoa whoa 48 hours google, don't be too kind now

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Doesn't the Watch Later stuff work offline?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

OK Google find me some Juarez cartel sticky icky

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

We added saving videos for 48h in developing countries after ripping it out like a year ago for everyone.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
offline maps is suddenly so much more amazing :chanpop:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

drat, offline route calculation...

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Heyyyyy Google just let me download Offline Maps for all the US and I'll actually drop money for it

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Offline maps demo very impressive, but will any developing world devices have the necessary space on the device?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Are.. are you a Prince?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Android: because unstable, developing societies can best understand an unstable, developing operating system!.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Rastor posted:

Offline maps demo very impressive, but will any developing world devices have the necessary space on the device?

If they're smart about it they'll have granular data - so at a minimum, the visual maps, then location data on top of that, and info about specific locations on top of that...

So you might be able to get a searchable map but no yelp reviews, or whatever

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
When do they normally announce the new hardware crap? I figured they would have at least teased the next version of Wear OS/Hardware at the beginning instead of rehashing the already released OS update.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Faster Gradle bui-
YES! YES!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Android: because unstable, developing societies can best understand an unstable, developing operating system!.

No it has quality now.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Wait, I can get how it can find a consistent looking adult, but my son is four, and he looks nothing like he did when he was a new born. How is that possible?

I assume it's doing step comparisons. Your 4 year old doesn't look like he was as a newborn, but he looks kind of like how he was at 3, which looks kind of how he was a 30 months, which looks kind of how he was a 24 months, ect ect. If they are able to extrapolate age progression based on a history of photos it doesn't seem surprising that they can take it to it's logical starting point.

I bet it'll trip it up if there's a big gap in which you don't upload any photos. It may not be able to tell what a newborn looks like a 4 if you have no other pictures uploaded that happened in-between.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Three Olives posted:

When do they normally announce the new hardware crap? I figured they would have at least teased the next version of Wear OS/Hardware at the beginning instead of rehashing the already released OS update.

In recent years hardware has become somewhat decoupled from the I/O conference, so it's possible there may not be a hardware announcement.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Three Olives posted:

When do they normally announce the new hardware crap?

At a sparsely attended event in Seoul in late August, where LG's people get twenty minutes on stage and the Google rep gets five.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hmm, cloud messaging working as the new RSS? That could be neat if it gets widely adopted. I like when Youtube tells me about subscribed channel updates

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cicero posted:

Yeah it wasn't very hard to implement but everyone loves it, it owns. Wish I could do more features with that love:effort ratio.

Well done!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Epic Skater paid good money to get on stage here

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Thermopyle posted:

Well done!
Thanks! It's nice for the app to finally be out in the open. I can tell my wife what I've been working on!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cicero posted:

Thanks! It's nice for the app to finally be out in the open. I can tell my wife what I've been working on!

Do you know if the Android app is going live today or is it just the website? (or vice versa)

Also, will it just be an update to the current G+/Photos app, or a separate app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

In recent years hardware has become somewhat decoupled from the I/O conference, so it's possible there may not be a hardware announcement.

Yeah, in 2014 they announced that they wanted to make I/O focus on developers not hardware.

• Locked thread