Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Jimlit posted:

They scheduled a map wipe for 18th of april. Also update the map so its 4x bigger than the previous one, and scary rear end new character models.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/361800/announcements/detail/70743728580

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr35lvcCP_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP6lhjEI62A

This came out of nowhere in the last few weeks. I picked it up after seeing that it had overwhelmingly positive reviews (400+ positive / 18 negative). Even still, I wasn't expecting much. After some time with it, I can honestly say this game is one of the most promising sandbox mmo I've played in a while. I was also reserved about It being an early access game, but so far its delivered all of its features in a polished way. Here are the official features:

• A world created by the player
    ‘Tree of Life’ is a Sandbox MMO Survival Game with the characteristics of a traditional RPG. Players are put on an unfamiliar continent and will experience the fun of survival, settling, development and competition.
  • Real-time changing of the environment
    The world of ‘Tree of Life’ changes with the passing of time and based on every action of the players. This will be a new kind of experience compared to the worlds in already existing online games. Trees growing and developing into forests, acquiring new dungeons, and etc. shows the changing environment with the passing of time. If the players plant seedlings and take care of it well enough it can develop into a forest, and cutting down enough trees will expand land.
  • Creating your own, personal village with the freedom construct however you want
    Anywhere in the world you are free to construct buildings and you can use the functional abilities of it with other players. By partnering with other players to create villages, make a few small ones into a large country could form into. You could become the mayor, or the king of a country.
  • A variety of content and high flexibility
    Hunting, woodcutting, mining, gathering, fishing, farming, herding, and etc. are the variety of ways you can obtain items. Obtaining rare items is a very difficult and tiring challenge. Because you can only get one specific item from each region, players will have to leave their areas to search for the item they need or trade with other players. Carpenter, blacksmith, pensioner, cook, and etc. are the types of occupations that exist where you can learn to make all types of items. Also, if you become a master at whatever occupation you can make a job-specific, special item. With the 24+ different jobs, acquire the skills and create individuality for your character.
  • Battles using strategy and tactics
    As the village prospers, monsters that are after your resources will attack your village to steal these items. You will be required to defend their village by creating high walls and watchtowers or use guards to fight off the monsters. Reversely, you can attack the monsters or their village and raid their resources and get revenge.

The one thing it doesn't really mention here is that it is completely open PVP right down to friendly fire. Bases can be raided, locks can be picked and inventories can be dropped. It might seem like this would just be a total death match, the game manages to keep this pretty well in bounds with a murder system that makes it so you drop your entire inventory (instead of just a few items when yellow) when you die while red.

Right now its out on steam for $20 with the option for four packs

Media

Where to buy

Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/361800/

Playing With Goons

:siren:Base Rules: choose your own adventure :siren:

1) There is a yellow in the base and he stole all your're twigs and bear poop. Do you:

A: post about it furiously in the thread.
B: squeel loudly into mumble
C: calmly ask for a local red goon to clear him out and maybe reclaim some of your stuff.

A) On top of being ripped off Like the huge mark you are, you have now publicized it for everyone to see.

B) close! But you triggered like 30 goons in the process and created a histaria that resulted in many bad posts and ultimatums about doors.

C) the red goon swoops in avenging your honor and bear poop. The greifer is forced into a retreat and normality returns

Base Location:

Get on the :siren:Discord:siren:, to play with goons once the wipe hits.

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QA4EQhM

shopping list of crafting materials

Kylra posted:

Jimlit if you could put this in the OP for referencing, here's the shopping list for various weapons you'll likely want. If you get one of these, you probably want to save the broken item because you can melt it back into an ingot of the kind used to make it!

Iron Battlehammer (can be used efficiently as fast pick or logging axes if you keep up with resource gathering for it)
  • 3 Iron ingots (You can bring me 4 iron bits and 3 normal quality charcoal each if desired. I don't fail to get normal iron ore)
  • 2 lumber (or 4 firewood to ensure normal quality lumber)
  • 5 coal
  • 1 weapongrip (or 2 small leather and 2 durable braids to ensure normal quality)
  • 1 weapon mold (or 6 firewood and 2 dirt to ensure normal quality. Or 10 firewood if you don't wanna get dirt.)

Iron Dagger (similar to above, but not as good because it lacks the defense debuff and drains stamina faster per damage)
  • 2 Iron ingots (You can bring me 4 iron bits and 3 normal quality charcoal each if desired. I don't fail to get normal iron ore)
  • 2 lumber (or 4 firewood to ensure normal quality lumber)
  • 5 coal
  • 1 weapongrip (or 2 small leather and 2 durable braids to ensure normal quality)
  • 1 weapon mold (or 6 firewood and 2 dirt. Or 10 firewood if you don't wanna get dirt.)

Iron Spear (for leveling spear since there's no cheap weapon like crude daggers or wooden clubs for it)
  • 3 Iron ingots (You can bring me 4 iron bits and 3 normal quality charcoal each if desired. I don't fail to get normal iron ore)
  • 6 lumber (or 10 firewood to ensure normal quality lumber)
  • 5 coal
  • 1 weapon mold (or 6 firewood and 2 dirt. Or 10 firewood if you don't wanna get dirt.)

Mithril Battlehammer
  • 3 Mithril ingots (You can bring me 4 mithril bits and 3 ebony wood each if desired. Let me process the ebony into lumber for burning to charcoal if you're not going to so I can get lumber xp!)
  • 4 ebony lumber (or 4 ebony wood to ensure normal quality lumber)
  • 3 coal ore (the rare drop from coal nodes so mine all of these you see as you walk around to get it!)
  • 3 mineral water (drops in the northwest)

Mithril Dagger
  • 2 Mithril ingots (You can bring me 4 mithril bits and 3 ebony wood each if desired. Let me process the ebony into lumber for burning to charcoal if you're not going to so I can get lumber xp!)
  • 2 ebony lumber (or 4 ebony wood to ensure normal quality lumber)
  • 2 coal ore (the rare drop from coal nodes so mine all of these you see as you walk around to get it!)
  • 5 mineral water (drops in the northwest)

Shields:
Circular Shield
  • 4 Iron ingots (You can bring me 4 iron bits and 3 normal quality charcoal each if desired. I don't fail to get normal iron ore)
  • 10 wooden planks (or 22 firewood to ensure normal quality planks)
  • 7 coal

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Helpful Links

WIKI: https://treeoflifewiki.org
Steam Guides: http://steamcommunity.com/app/361800/guides/

Guides And Tips

Dr. Video Games 0155 posted:

Pro tips starting out:

- Those goblin coins? used to repair homes/structure, don't toss them away.
- Tree of Life uses a radial menu system, right click brings up a line that you can select options for tools/food. EG equipping a apple in your hand, right clicking the apple and drawing a line to it will have your character eat the apple
- If you see a skeleton sailor corpse ANYWHERE, attack it immediately, its stationary on the ground lifeless, it contains excellent goodies including a chance to drop a crude axe. Skeleton sailor corpses also drop bone fragments. Twig + Bone = Crude dagger, your first shank.
- Do not attack ANYTHING without at least a non-fist weapon, you will die.
- Get your stats up by punching trees, making firewood.
- Do not waste your starting matches, i haven't found a way to start fires without matches yet
- Become a martial artist, punch everything and be strong
- You can only master 4 skills, you have 400 skill points, early it doesn't matter you just need stats, once you figure out what you want to do you can de-level stats or lock them from leveling like UO.
- Coal/Iron/Copper veins are useful, break them and collect everytime
- Inventory space matters, it seems like alot but it isn't
- You drain hunger very quickly, even AFK. Do not sit afk, log out or something holy moley does it drain fast.
- You can create a paddle with 2 pieces of firewood, its not as strong as a dagger but you can paddle trees/minerals faster and give a monster a good paddling.
- As you gain levels in crafting skills more crafting options will automatically pop up over time, don't get discouraged by seeing 2-3 items on a crafting bench, it will greatly expand over time.

Harrower posted:

Harrowers guide to fightin' round the world:

Rats: Far less threatening than your usual rpg rat. The only threat they poses is you may chase them near something nasty while trying to kill them. Drops small meat and small leather. Notable because the first tier of blacksmithing poo poo needs small leather and I don't think anything else drops it at all. Also they are kinda rare so if you want to swing weapons at guys you should kill all rats for their tiny pelts and stockpile them any chance you get.

Cows: As threatening as rats. Drops large meat, oil, and big leather. In fairly large quantities. Can also be picked up and carried around so you can bring them to your lovely hobo shack.

Pig: same as cow.

Deer: Same as cows though these fuckers like to run like crazy and it's really annoying. They drop less resources.

Chicken: As threatening as rats. Drops small meat, feathers, and eggs. Feathers are needed for all sorts of crafting poo poo and I don't think you can get them anywhere else.

Bears: Hits pretty hard, has some hp. Will dumpster your fresh off the boat rear end. Get some weapons and some hitpoints before fighting them. Same drops as cows + occasionally drops whole fish.

Kobolds aka little dog men: Doesn't hit hard, doesn't have much health, still a threat though until you have a weapon and some stats. Drops linen and coins.

Sharkmen: Same as Kobolds but also drops fish meats and beating up these guys trains the fishing skill.

Zombies: About the same as a bear. Drops dirt, maggots, rotten meat (poisons you), coins, and linen.

Skeleton: Same as bear/zombie. Drops same as zombies but bone chips too.

Angry tree spirits: Ambushes occasionally while cutting down trees. Weak hits, low hp, not a big threat. Drops a ton of firewood.

Walking plant monsters: Weak hits, low hp, either no defense or a vulnerability to slashing weapons whatevs. Drops bundled fibers or whatever + random seeds.

Lizardmen: Same as skeleton/zombies/bears. Drops linen and coins.

Goblins: Hits pretty hard, has a lot of hp. Drops a lot of linen and coins.

Lizardmen captain: Stronger than goblins, same drops.

Ogres: High level poo poo. Tons of hp, tons of armor, hits like a truck. You'll need either an extreme goon pile or high level gear to fight them. Drops tons of linen, coins, and lava rocks.

hth

Skills and Attributes

TOL has a pretty in-depth skill system. Gaining a point in each skill will give you a specific attribute point for that skill. For example, one point in farming may give you +1 CON while swords will give you +1 DEX. Each character has a total of 350 skill points they can gain at any one time. This makes customization extremely open ended on top of giving an added bonus to leveling non combat skills.

All the skills:

Art...

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 2, 2015

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

have fun with bio

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I've been in this since korea close beta. I'm very excite in this game to commercial viability, and start the organizaiton violage with Goons

Is anyone play in which server? I can make violage with Goons violage

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

I've been in this since korea close beta. I'm very excite in this game to commercial viability, and start the organizaiton violage with Goons

I'm on the Americas server.

Since you have been in for a while do you know of any english guides or resources for the game? The guide from the developers is pretty much just this:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=450015324

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
So, are villages actual villages populated by NPCs that do stuff? Or are they 100% player operated?

This sounds a lot like Rust.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Comedy option to make our own wiki and kill everyone else

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

CoffeeBooze posted:

So, are villages actual villages populated by NPCs that do stuff? Or are they 100% player operated?

This sounds a lot like Rust.

Its 100% player operated.

Its like Rust in the same sense any game with survival elements would be like rust. In action it feels like a totally separate experience from Rust in almost every way:

• Its an MMO, with a dedicated server with 1000 people on it. No weekly wipes or crazy mods.
  • The world is big enough that most people can find a productive nich in it. So far, i haven't seen any instances of power guilds controlling entire resource sites or anything.
  • Its got a UO style skill system so even if you lost everything you are never back to square one.
  • Unless you go red you never do a full loot drop, you might drop 3 or four slots (this may change).

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The world is big enough that most people can find a productive nich in it. So far, i haven't seen any instances of power guilds controlling entire resource sites or anything.

Why this isn't us soon? :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what the gently caress this came out?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

So how organized are goons so far? I s the game a bug riddled mess?

It's been a long while since I've played a sandbox game. I think I'll give this a shot this weekend.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

CoffeeBooze posted:

So how organized are goons so far? I s the game a bug riddled mess?

It's been a long while since I've played a sandbox game. I think I'll give this a shot this weekend.

The game only got released on steam yesterday, so not organized at all.

vermicious
Feb 22, 2010

Who is leaving messages on your answering machine?
This is intriguing. I will most likely be in

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
This looks rather interesting. I'll give it a try once I finish my current build in a couple days.

Devs said they're not planning on a wipe too.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Can I eat cheese in a basement for a month and proceed to wrestle an armed village played by real people to death?

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

If in doubt, throw more men at it!
I already have a crew with 2 other goons playing, I'm very surprised nobody made a thread about it. It's quite fun.

We have a village set up, no walls or anything though yet still slogging through the discovery process of the game. All crafting table types up, lots of supplies and a good location.

:siren: Starting location when you make your character should be the bottom right ship, the largest and fattest ship, it will put you reasonable distance to us, you will start on the south-eastern island:siren:

Come on to the :siren:CTS mumble:siren:, there is a channel set up in the MISC section and I'll post a map of our location.

Do you like to steal from other villages?
Do you like a UO style skill system?
Do you like to grief people?
Do you like to build/discover make things?
Do you have $20 bucks?

If you answered yes, you should most likely play.

Pro tips starting out:

- Those goblin coins? used to repair homes/structure, don't toss them away.
- Tree of Life uses a radial menu system, right click brings up a line that you can select options for tools/food. EG equipping a apple in your hand, right clicking the apple and drawing a line to it will have your character eat the apple
- If you see a skeleton sailor corpse ANYWHERE, attack it immediately, its stationary on the ground lifeless, it contains excellent goodies including a chance to drop a crude axe. Skeleton sailor corpses also drop bone fragments. Twig + Bone = Crude dagger, your first shank.
- Do not attack ANYTHING without at least a non-fist weapon, you will die.
- Get your stats up by punching trees, making firewood.
- Do not waste your starting matches, i haven't found a way to start fires without matches yet
- Become a martial artist, punch everything and be strong
- You can only master 4 skills, you have 400 skill points, early it doesn't matter you just need stats, once you figure out what you want to do you can de-level stats or lock them from leveling like UO.
- Coal/Iron/Copper veins are useful, break them and collect everytime
- Inventory space matters, it seems like alot but it isn't
- You drain hunger very quickly, even AFK. Do not sit afk, log out or something holy moley does it drain fast.
- You can create a paddle with 2 pieces of firewood, its not as strong as a dagger but you can paddle trees/minerals faster and give a monster a good paddling.
- As you gain levels in crafting skills more crafting options will automatically pop up over time, don't get discouraged by seeing 2-3 items on a crafting bench, it will greatly expand over time.

Our carpenter is grinding to build a guild hall, no guild yet still trying to get it.

Dr. Video Games 0155 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 29, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
When this came up on my dash I assumed the overwhelmingly postive reviews were scams because reviews were broken that day and had no text. You mean people really love it?

Is it possible to just peace the gently caress out and create a farm and a ranch with cow and fields and poo poo and have a small little life to escape this horrible reality or will the game make me fight like in the cruel cruel real world?

I wanna be the villager that gets his house burned down at the beginning of every Robin Hood movie.

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

You're in luck, my house has been burned down 3 times but i've repaired it every time. There is a lock making and lock picking skill. You can live your dreams of being that peasant, don't worry.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i have no idea what this is but i watched a dude on twitch get murdered. the killer couldnt take his prey's stuff though. or did he? i have no idea.

if i cant kill and loot people, no sale

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Blazing Zero posted:

i have no idea what this is but i watched a dude on twitch get murdered. the killer couldnt take his prey's stuff though. or did he? i have no idea.

if i cant kill and loot people, no sale

Yeah you can absolutely kill and loot people.

I will add this to the op later.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 29, 2015

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
How suspectible is this game to botting? Is this going to be like salem where there are 20 russian bots running around constantly gathering all the good poo poo?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I've installed the game and been messing around for a bit now. It seems to have a lot of potential, but there is a definite lack of documentation. Like, I can't even find a list of the default key binds do or what the four stats at the bottom left of the screen represent.

Could someone give a very barebones run down of this stuff?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I would think this game would be pretty difficult to bot. No tab targeting, constant color changes from day to night and the fact that the bot would be getting trashed constantly by players and skeletons.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Since the game will most likely be b2p rampant botting won't be as much of an issue, but definitely possible.
I never played Salem, but HnH's stat/quality mechanics basically meant the quantity of resources you had translated directly into power, so botting/multi-boxing was very rewarding in HnH.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Biowarfare posted:

hi bio

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
hi ks
hi jaroslav
hi silento
i see the bad game crew is getting back together

game is b2p, should be very little botters, accounts will be permanetnly banned on any offense.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 29, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
are you fucklords really making me play this

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eonwe posted:

are you fucklords really making me play this

I liked your new avatar. Someday I'll get red text, too, and then I'll be a real shitposter.

And yes, they are. Get grithok to play, it seems right up his alley

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
someone got you that avatar, so I think you are worthy of the title

honestly I did buy my pink elephant back but only because even as bought avatars go I didn't think theirs was that funny

it wasnt red text and it wasn't even mean it was just kind of weird

like i couldn't get a funny story out of it, it wasn't a particularly good or funny picture, it didn't really say anything even

the worst it said is that i dont use my shift key, and like, ok almost nobody does

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Is this polished enough to play? I know it's early access, but is it a good early access?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Eonwe posted:

someone got you that avatar, so I think you are worthy of the title

honestly I did buy my pink elephant back but only because even as bought avatars go I didn't think theirs was that funny

it wasnt red text and it wasn't even mean it was just kind of weird

like i couldn't get a funny story out of it, it wasn't a particularly good or funny picture, it didn't really say anything even

the worst it said is that i dont use my shift key, and like, ok almost nobody does

YOUR RIGHT SHIFT IS FOR LAMEOS

CAPS LOCK IS FOR THE REAL COOL PEOPLE.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

What's the CTS mumble?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Baldbeard posted:

What's the CTS mumble?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

Again there is a base set up with essentials, may not be a permanent spot but its a great meeting point. Get into CTS mumble to give you a wonderful map

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
On the fence about this. While im usually hooked instantly to games of this kind, the graphics looks like something ripped straight from runescape, and the controls seem awfully clunky (looking at youtube videos).. But i do love these kind of games..

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Looks a bit iffy, especially with ARK right around the corner http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722532

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW9vsrPWujI

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

ARK seems like it is going to be a lot smaller scale that ToL. What I find pretty interesting about ToL is the single server which will hopefully lead to a pretty broad player base.

Also, the goons freaking about poo poo slinging in the ARK thread is kind of saddening.

vermicious
Feb 22, 2010

Who is leaving messages on your answering machine?

Jaroslav posted:

On the fence about this. While im usually hooked instantly to games of this kind, the graphics looks like something ripped straight from runescape, and the controls seem awfully clunky (looking at youtube videos).. But i do love these kind of games..

I just picked it up and played for a little.

The first thing I noticed is that the controls are pretty clunky, so you're right on with that.

Graphics are definitely lower tier stuff, but I am finding them sort of endearing as I play more.

Lots of spelling errors ("corpes" comes to mind), plus very little documentation about how to actually play.

Despite my iffy first impressions it does seem like it has potential - the skill system is interesting, it is fun to punch rocks and watch my martial arts abilities rise, etc

I was happy to see a bunch of bases set up around the area I started in with plenty to steal too.

I am a sucker for these sandbox games so I will definitely play more, but if you're on the fence, maybe wait for a bit for some things to get ironed out

Edit: Also I was impressed that I wasn't immediately slaughtered when coming across other players - the murderer system must work, at least in my experience

vermicious fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 30, 2015

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
This is as good as it gets as far as early trashcess. It's pretty rough and there are bugs. You can log on and start punching down stone henge or start a hog farm down in a swamp within minutes of logging on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Harrower posted:

This is as good as it gets as far as early trashcess. It's pretty rough and there are bugs. You can log on and start punching down stone henge or start a hog farm down in a swamp within minutes of logging on.

or overfeed pigs and gather the item called 'poo poo'

• Locked thread