Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Kylra posted:

Alright, quick poll of Importance. Post here if you're still playing, and if you're new and/or care about skilling things like smithing or sewing at the moment. If all you wanna do is mess with people and don't care about the rest, post that too. Also post if you're somewhere between those or just wanna build walls or whever. I wanna try to get everyone accounted for in the next 24-48 hours if possible to see where we're at gameplaywise for diplomatic purposes.

I have been building walls or whever because im leveling carpentry and farming silk. I want to do that until we are a sizeable and fearless force like Goonwaffe so we can troll the game like we own it instead of crawling on it like worms. But until then I will live in relative peace in the south where Silk spawns so I can contribute to the guild meaningfully.

As part of my community services I have been building the sword of the goons in the vicinity of 1795, 12161. The project currently looks like this:

Now I am working on Operation Enlargment, to add two much needed crafting areas to house all the shops. I made a little sketch of the end result:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Kylra posted:

Are you serious? That's hilarious if it works and no one else can use the ladders. Or do those go in your inventory? Ladders are new to me since we got back.

I am serious. Ladders get build in a bundle like towers, and you place them along the wall. They can be destroyed but you can place them from inside again. I did a recon on a base to the north west (NW penninsula) that has a bunch of those and almost no gates (that I could see) and when I tried to access them the moment you set foot on the wall it warps you back to the ground.

You can carry large objects over them, theoretically, but im going to build one ladder and test that part.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Tempus Thales posted:

I am serious. Ladders get build in a bundle like towers, and you place them along the wall. They can be destroyed but you can place them from inside again. I did a recon on a base to the north west (NW penninsula) that has a bunch of those and almost no gates (that I could see) and when I tried to access them the moment you set foot on the wall it warps you back to the ground.

You can carry large objects over them, theoretically, but im going to build one ladder and test that part.

Same from the inside as well, if someone manages to get in or you shut someone into an enclosure, they can't use the ladders to get back out and you don't have to use the door where they could escape.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Depends posted:

Same from the inside as well, if someone manages to get in or you shut someone into an enclosure, they can't use the ladders to get back out and you don't have to use the door where they could escape.

that would be hilarious that you can trap someone in an enclosed area and put a ladder inside to give them hope.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Reminder: post your in game name here so I know to accept you when you app and that you're not some random person who managed to get into the base by accident or while the gates were picked or something.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

In but pretty fresh. Will update once I have a clue what direction I may work toward.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kylra posted:

Alright, quick poll of Importance. Post here if you're still playing, and if you're new and/or care about skilling things like smithing or sewing at the moment. If all you wanna do is mess with people and don't care about the rest, post that too. Also post if you're somewhere between those or just wanna build walls or whever. I wanna try to get everyone accounted for in the next 24-48 hours if possible to see where we're at gameplaywise for diplomatic purposes.

Jimlit disappears and the queen of fishing pact begins.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Jimlit disappears and the queen of fishing pact begins.
Muahahahaha

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Can't , stop me nowwwww
We're having such a good time

Or at least, that's the goal.

But really, I wanna check if people are having fun or if they can't do anything because they're getting camped out by this 3-4 guild alliance.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Kylra posted:

Can't , stop me nowwwww
We're having such a good time

Or at least, that's the goal.

But really, I wanna check if people are having fun or if they can't do anything because they're getting camped out by this 3-4 guild alliance.

for the record, I have been camped 0-times down south. the base on the south has had also zero incidents.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Kylra posted:

Are you serious? That's hilarious if it works and no one else can use the ladders. Or do those go in your inventory? Ladders are new to me since we got back.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Alright, after a huge clusterfuck of dealing with Steam Support, I was able to buy this game. I got a whopping 5 minutes to play on lunch, so have a club, axe and mining pick. Going to be playing a lot tonight hopefully. Any advice/instructions not covered in the OP would be welcome.

Character name: Manpretty

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

Alright, after a huge clusterfuck of dealing with Steam Support, I was able to buy this game. I got a whopping 5 minutes to play on lunch, so have a club, axe and mining pick. Going to be playing a lot tonight hopefully. Any advice/instructions not covered in the OP would be welcome.

Character name: Manpretty

I am only about an hour total in game so far. Should be online tonight going to chop wood for the cause in the SW base. Where are you currently on the map?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

You have to app at north base if you want to use guild gates, guild storage and get over guild territory walls.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
OK, I am an idiot. Headed to north base now.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 13, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Alright, I am where the base is marked on the map. Territory of LazyBums?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Doom Rooster posted:

Alright, I am where the base is marked on the map. Territory of LazyBums?

Thats it. Now you need to do the lazy lakla dance and shout to the top of your lungs "Show me the money!!"

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Jage decided to attack me a while back right as I was fighting an ent. Attacked me from the rear like the rear end bandit player I expect them to be. Any chance of me not being a complete dick now and doing poo poo to further stoke this fire went out the window with that move.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

demonR6 posted:

Jage decided to attack me a while back right as I was fighting an ent. Attacked me from the rear like the rear end bandit player I expect them to be. Any chance of me not being a complete dick now and doing poo poo to further stoke this fire went out the window with that move.

Well, like the dude said, unless we drop the LazyBums tag or somehow get Tempus disassociated with the tag, they will attack/kill us on sight.

Morkon
Feb 25, 2009

Tick tock tick tock
Still playing this, I have 36 sewing so I can make sets of iron armor. I upgraded most of the towers at north base lately and crafted some armor. My non goon brother Dearth is also playing regularly and is working on tinkering.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Well, like the dude said, unless we drop the LazyBums tag or somehow get Tempus disassociated with the tag, they will attack/kill us on sight.

The day Goons do something a Pubbie demands... I guess you are going to have to go from Rancher / Cowfucker to Warrior and get strong and kill them.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Tempus Thales posted:

I want to do that until we are a sizeable and fearless force like Goonwaffe so we can troll the game like we own it instead of crawling on it like worms.

LMAO I'm sorry to call you out like this but... how loving delusional are you???

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Ruggan posted:

LMAO I'm sorry to call you out like this but... how loving delusional are you???
11/10

How is Sinraia or however it is spelled working out?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Kylra posted:

11/10

How is Sinraia or however it is spelled working out?

Took me a minute to figure out what you even meant. I haven't played in weeks but left them a while ago. I think I'm currently a guildless ghost logged off on top of the LazyBums guild house.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i see the flame of true gooniness still burns brightly~

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS!!!!

That is *my* battlecry, what's yours?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISH

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kylra posted:

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISH

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Ruggan posted:

As delusional as everyone else considering I am the one building the base in the form of a penis. Which now has one (1) testicle completed.

I have already won the game, the rest is gravy.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Tempus Thales posted:

As delusional as everyone else considering I am the one building the base in the form of a penis. Which now has one (1) testicle completed.

I have already won the game, the rest is gravy.

Unironically this is good and fun. Glad to see you having fun in a game, which is about having fun. More people should try to also have fun imo.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Been a year since I last played due to some fun sucking elements. Whats the game like now? Whats the guild like? Did it veer further or closer to the unfunny hellgrind attempts to be overlords or is it more just everyone being chill? How does crime work now? Is it as broken?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

FireWhizzle posted:

Unironically this is good and fun. Glad to see you having fun in a game, which is about having fun. More people should try to also have fun imo.

yup, but it would be a lot more fun if more goons played because this is another game that we can have fun at the expense of getting laugh's out of everyone else's tears.

Like the example above. It's been a month since Jimlit and I desecrated their farm and they are still butthurt. :boom:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Tempus Thales posted:

yup, but it would be a lot more fun if more goons played because this is another game that we can have fun at the expense of getting laugh's out of everyone else's tears.

Like the example above. It's been a month since Jimlit and I desecrated their farm and they are still butthurt. :boom:

Last I played it seemed very cold in game because at least 50% of the pubbie chat comprised of "br" "br?" "br?" "br" Is this still a horrible thing?

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

wit posted:

Last I played it seemed very cold in game because at least 50% of the pubbie chat comprised of "br" "br?" "br?" "br" Is this still a horrible thing?

nope, I haven't come across a single instance where that has happened.

wit posted:

Been a year since I last played due to some fun sucking elements. Whats the game like now? Whats the guild like? Did it veer further or closer to the unfunny hellgrind attempts to be overlords or is it more just everyone being chill? How does crime work now? Is it as broken?

What fun sucking elements are you talking about? I didn't play last year so i wouldn't know about them. Kylra could tell you better about a before and after comparison. This year they introduced the myst, which is a fog-of-war that covers incomplete areas that uncover themselves over time (as the developers make progress on the game)...

As far as the guild goes, we have 3 "bases". We have the base up north that has the guild house and its medium-large, with the best fortifications and defenses. There is an abandoned base on the desert, abandoned because the chief architect Rafza left for greener pastures. It has the largest footprint since we build 4 walls around a lake, but its too big to handle with the 4-5 of us that play the game... Then there is a smaller base on the South, in Silk Country, started as an outpost, and is built in the shape of a Penis. This has become my project because im using it to level carpentry among other skills...

As far as pubbies a while back we raided some pubbie's castle and killed all their livestock. They got butthurt an have declared a KOS on LazyBums. But its not a big deal its just a tickle... They are annoying at best, and pretty forgettable. If we had numbers, they would be the place i would start paving a road with their bodies.

vOv

The game is fun for me, I play it a couple of hours every day (3-4hrs) on the week and on the weekends as well. I have made a lot of progress with my skills and i find it fun and amusing. it would be funner if more goons played... goons like Dodgin and 2DCat... and the rest of the usual suspects.

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 17, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

I haven't been able to be on much of late. I kind of wish we had a place inland a ways (that was not surrounded by people who are bloodthirsty for us all). Running through the mountains in the center of the map was a rush. Getting to the new phallic base in the SW was kind of a letdown, as there were so many poo poo structures rotting away all around it.

If anyone is interested in building something a bit closer to the ogres in the mountains, I would be game.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Cartouche posted:

I haven't been able to be on much of late. I kind of wish we had a place inland a ways (that was not surrounded by people who are bloodthirsty for us all). Running through the mountains in the center of the map was a rush. Getting to the new phallic base in the SW was kind of a letdown, as there were so many poo poo structures rotting away all around it.

If anyone is interested in building something a bit closer to the ogres in the mountains, I would be game.

The only way to build closest to the ogres is to build in the south bottom border of the desert, and for that you are better off building a quadrant that is smaller within DesertBase. Or you could build on the south center area, but closer to the wasteland, and you will still have a long trek to those mountains to get what you want.
The south isn't as wrecked and we have already absorbed land from the sides of the base and have a much better defense and offense built in-base. I like it because there is no one to harass us except that doo-hickey from <Immortal> that I use now as an occasional doormat. MediocrityGoggs has a pretty decent garden and I already started bringing animals to start the in-breeding.

We have been upgrading our walls to stone and all towers have iron arrows. This is all in one testicle. We haven't started the 2nd Testicle because right now it would be overkill. Still fun to me, and I do occasional trips to Goon's Club in the north.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Tempus Thales posted:

What fun sucking elements are you talking about?

The game is just a lot of soulless grinding and tedium for not much reward IMO. Yes, people get riled up when you stomp on their cabbage patch and so there is griefing potential, but that's true of most games. Also, the depth of interaction and griefing potential is really shallow.

In fact, I think most of the game is really shallow. You just run around an uninspired landscape at what feels like a slow pace. The itemization is a bit boring. The crafting is slow and tedious. Combat is a joke. Items break far too easily which exacerbates the tedium. There's nothing interesting to see or do beyond (1) talk to / mess with people (2) farm up materials.

Maybe I'm just less tolerant of the tedium these days. Either way I have a hard time stomaching doing anything because of it and I bet others feel the same way.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Ruggan posted:

The game is just a lot of soulless grinding and tedium for not much reward IMO. Yes, people get riled up when you stomp on their cabbage patch and so there is griefing potential, but that's true of most games. Also, the depth of interaction and griefing potential is really shallow.

In fact, I think most of the game is really shallow. You just run around an uninspired landscape at what feels like a slow pace. The itemization is a bit boring. The crafting is slow and tedious. Combat is a joke. Items break far too easily which exacerbates the tedium. There's nothing interesting to see or do beyond (1) talk to / mess with people (2) farm up materials.

Maybe I'm just less tolerant of the tedium these days. Either way I have a hard time stomaching doing anything because of it and I bet others feel the same way.

another man's junk is someone else's treasure... at least until no man's sky comes out. :P

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I agree about the grinding, I can stomach some serious grind but ToL grinding just seems more tedious than usual. There are some huge gaps in the progression of crafting requirements so there are long stretches where you are just repeating low gain actions over and over hoping to hit the level you need. You get there and there might be a few items close together so you get a decent run of gains for a while then it turns to poo poo again.
Weapon grinding is fairly horrible unless I did it wrong, either hit a mob or hit a tree thousands of times with the cheapest version of the weapon you can get. Grinding up bows was awful, having to go fishing to get the glue to make dozens of bows at a time and then running around with 1000 arrows to slowly tick up my skill.
The durability on the weapons force you to either be part of an active group or to have to grind a little of everything. I wouldn't even care if repairs were fairly expensive as long as I could fix my gear without needing a miner, tailor, blacksmith, carpenter, farmer and fisherman to do it.

The gaps in craft requirements and durability issues are pretty easy fixes, I'm hoping they are improved at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Ruggan posted:

The griefing potential used to be way higher, but everyone expectedly quit (because gasp a game about greifing isn't fun) so they changed the rules vOv

• Locked thread