Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Both of the Ruud edits are great, but Inexplicably Butterfly-Masked Milady Marth is better. She is trying very hard to be stealthy in searching for the princess--she put a white blanket on her wyvern and everything so people will think it's a pegasus. Unfortunately, unlike every female resident of Ilia, she has actual muscles, so no one is fooled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
That was wonderful. Fun fact about Ruud, Damas and the other early game bosses, they do have unique palettes in the data, they just are never assigned. Not sure why, maybe there was a crunch,

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Well then, this just keeps getting better.

I'm hoping that once we get into the late game none of the characters will be easily recognizable, and some of them are just replaced with other Fire Emblem portraits outright.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
This is great.:allears:

Welp, Voted 5, went hog wild. And we're only on chapter 2.:allears:

Actual Fire Emblem chat: I'm happy to see you're using new translation patch, now everyone can see the various improvements/revisions over the base patch. I've already noticed that all the language sounds more natural and a bit more like an officially translated Fire Emblem game.

Question: are you playing on normal or hard mode? Given that Lance is already doubling, I'm guessing Normal Mode. (Comedy idea: Give all of the various enemy recruits their Hard Mode bonuses anyway.:getin: Maybe even the ones like Ray that don't normally get bonuses for whatever reason.)

Finally, one request: can change your first couple of posts to make it more like most (all?) of the other fire Emblem LPs where actual game text is un-italiczed, and comments/additions/witty sarcastic remarks are in italics (or bold in the case of a guest commentator)? It threw me off a bit realizing the italics were actual game text and not various smartass remarks.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 1, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Good to hear the portrait edits managed to amuse.

Einander posted:

Both of the Ruud edits are great, but Inexplicably Butterfly-Masked Milady Marth is better. She is trying very hard to be stealthy in searching for the princess--she put a white blanket on her wyvern and everything so people will think it's a pegasus. Unfortunately, unlike every female resident of Ilia, she has actual muscles, so no one is fooled.

As far as I'm concerned, this is canon.

Onmi posted:

That was wonderful. Fun fact about Ruud, Damas and the other early game bosses, they do have unique palettes in the data, they just are never assigned. Not sure why, maybe there was a crunch,

Huh. For some reason that's kind of even more disappointing :v:

Purple knights are amazing, why would you deprive me of a purple knight Intsys, it's not fair.

Pyroi posted:

I'm hoping that once we get into the late game none of the characters will be easily recognizable, and some of them are just replaced with other Fire Emblem portraits outright.

Don't give me ideas.

fade5 posted:

Question: are you playing on normal or hard mode?

I didn't get to pick a difficulty, you tell me :shrug:

quote:

Finally, one request: can change your first couple of posts to make it more like most (all?) of the other fire Emblem LPs where actual game text is un-italiczed, and comments/additions/witty sarcastic remarks are in italics (or bold in the case of a guest commentator)? It threw me off a bit realizing the italics were actual game text and not various smartass remarks.:v:

No, I'm pretty happy with the way I'm doing it now.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

vilkacis posted:

No, I'm pretty happy with the way I'm doing it now.

Hmm...well, it's fine to do that for World Map text. But, for actual character dialogue, I'd do things more like this...

"vilkacis posted:

I don't want excuses! Are you so incompetent you can't understand that?!

Looks that way :v:

Rather than...

"vilkacis posted:

I don't want excuses! Are you so incompetent you can't understand that?!

Looks that way :v:

Otherwise, you're kind of switching between two different styles of transcribing things, which can get confusing. At least to me.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Laughing hard, loving the humor. Definitely buckling in for the rest of the ride!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh thank gently caress, I thought I was the only one who absolutely hated Miledy's name. Every goddamn time I saw it, I was thinking "fat man in fedora."

I'm loving your changes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

GeneX posted:

Oh thank gently caress, I thought I was the only one who absolutely hated Miledy's name. Every goddamn time I saw it, I was thinking "fat man in fedora."

I'm loving your changes.

I don't mind Miledy, but I always responded poorly to the Milady change, I don't care if it's an actual name and Melody is completely unfitting. I also react this way to Jerrot

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Onmi posted:

I don't mind Miledy, but I always responded poorly to the Milady change, I don't care if it's an actual name and Melody is completely unfitting. I also react this way to Jerrot

The spoilered name is totally a rare root vegetable, not a human being. Also, I meant Milady; Miledy just makes me think of mildew, which is, um, a mild improvement, I guess.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GeneX posted:

The spoilered name is totally a rare root vegetable, not a human being. Also, I meant Milady; Miledy just makes me think of mildew, which is, um, a mild improvement, I guess.

I think the funniest cannon name change to me was Skasaher->Ulster because I just imagine some translator sitting down and seeing the name Skasaher and going "Nope." standing up and walking to a big book of names that isn't that mess.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
*crashes through wall*

Hi I see there's a Fire Emblem 6 LP here, now I have to post about Bors' chin.

Look at his goddamn chin. I'm pretty sure he could unhinge that thing and just hoover up most of the enemies.

Also this is the second FE6 thread I'm following now, looking forward to it. I gave up on my own run of this game after a later chapter just tired me the hell out. I'll probably mention that when you get to it.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

you're kind of switching between two different styles of transcribing things

???

If a line of text follows directly under a screenshot, it's a direct continuation of the text in that shot.

Adding a talking head when the speaker doesn't change between shot and transcribed text just adds an unnecessary break.

LordHippoman posted:

*crashes through wall*

Hi I see there's a Fire Emblem 6 LP here, now I have to post about Bors' chin.

This feeling is perfectly normal, you should not be ashamed of it.

quote:

Look at his goddamn chin. I'm pretty sure he could unhinge that thing and just hoover up most of the enemies.

It's a fairly accurate description of what's been happening in battles so far.

I just hope he gains some fuckin' DEF so he can continue doing it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Onmi posted:

I think the funniest cannon name change to me was Skasaher->Ulster because I just imagine some translator sitting down and seeing the name Skasaher and going "Nope." standing up and walking to a big book of names that isn't that mess.

I'm waiting for someone to flip through the Mabinogion and make Culhwch a character because A) he's my favorite character in that book because he's a perfect example of a Fire Emblem prince that lets everyone else do the hard work while he gets all the credit and B) because the name means "hiding place of the pig." It's basically the Forty Impossible Tasks to Get Prince Pig Pen a Girlfriend, which would probably make a fun or at least funny game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rude has the lowest-level, least competent troops in all of Bern. I'm wondering why they left the princess under his care in the first place.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Rude has the lowest-level, least competent troops in all of Bern. I'm wondering why they left the princess under his care in the first place.

It was a honeypot?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Artificer posted:

It was a honeypot?

Also they didn't, Guinevere probably departed there to meet with Hector and, like always, didn't tell Miledy anything. then someone else said "Hey she was heading by Ruud's place right?"

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm loving dying at the portrait edits.

Whoever ends up being your god unit (if you get one) should get a portrait modification to reflect it :allears: That is my request.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Lotish posted:

Forty Impossible Tasks to Get Prince Pig Pen a Girlfriend

I'd play it.

I'd probably also Let's Play it.

Oh. Oh. I get it now.

But now I realize the whole situation could have been resolved peacefully if only certain people could have got some therapy before they went full asshat. It's kinda tragic.

Shei-kun posted:

Whoever ends up being your god unit (if you get one) should get a portrait modification to reflect it :allears: That is my request.

Look, I'm not saying I have plans, but I totally have plans :unsmigghh:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Onmi posted:

Also they didn't, Guinevere probably departed there to meet with Hector and, like always, didn't tell Miledy anything. then someone else said "Hey she was heading by Ruud's place right?"

Mel Odius seemed to regard it as a normal state of affairs for the princess to be in a room of a fortress guarded by the Weakest Brigade, in that her no longer being in the fortress is the unusual circumstance. Therefore, at some level of protocol it's okay to have the king's sister guarded by only the least trained troops in all of Bern.

: Sir! Which end of the spear do I use to stab enemies?
: Sir! When is naptime?
: Sir! Is it true I shouldn't be using my flesh to absorb enemy attacks? I want to preserve these strange clothes made of not fabric but metal!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'm already dying two updates in. This is wonderful. You are wonderful.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
At first I was glad that Fire Emblem Appreciation Season ended a while back.

And then this thread rolled along. :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

: Sir! When is naptime?

Any moment, now just hold that pose.

theshim posted:

I'm already dying two updates in. This is wonderful. You are wonderful.

Yes. I know. :smuggo:

Edward_Tohr posted:

At first I was glad that Fire Emblem Appreciation Season ended a while back.

Seasons come and seasons go. Everything comes back eventually.

start more Fire Emblem threads you fuckers

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 3: Latecomer's Sorrow or, Bullshit Of The Highest Degree

I don't like the look of that title, it looks ominous.

The armies of Lycia had gathered there to make preparations to strike back at Bern.

a messenger brings them shocking news they can scarcely believe. Native to Bern are savage flying reptilian creatures known as wyverns. Leading Bern's army is a trio of elite commanders known as the Wyvern Generals, named so for their combat prowess, which is said to be comparable to the wyverns.

Good thing they specify, otherwise I would have been very confused when one of them turns out not to be riding on a wyvern.

virtually decimating the Lycian Army while it was little prepared.

both to see it for himself and, hopefully, find and aid any survivors...

We fade to a map...

...and the interior of the roofed building.

Good. Bring him before me.

Black-hearted fiend...!

H... Hector, that's other people's blood, right...? :ohdear:

Ah, Lord Hector. You have my highest praise for lasting so long against two of my Wyvern Generals. I suppose Ostia's reputation as the most powerful in Lycia is well-earned.

Your end is nigh. If you have any last words, I suggest you spit them out.

Holy poo poo he's a douche, and now he thinks he's Budget Luca Blight. Do you know what happens to people who think they're Budget Luca Blight, Zephiel?

Just tell me... Why...?

What was that?

Bern and Lycia... We were always on good terms with each other... Even when you took the throne, we always paid our respects to Bern...

Respect? Pah. Don't make me laugh. The whole continent shall be my domain. Only then can the world be liberated. I lack the time to concern myself with such trivial matters are "respect."

You mean to liberate... the world? What do you speak of...?

Pay it no heed. You won't live to see it anyway.
You there! Take him away!

Yes, Your Majesty!

Yes, be on your way.

...One matter before I leave, Your Majesty. If you will allow my opinion, I would not place so much trust in that... woman.

Do you speak of Idun?

Yes, Your Majesty. The men call her the "Dark Priestess" and finds her presence... disturbing. I understand that she is a shaman of great power, but-

Brunja, do you doubt my judgment?

Ah...! No, of course not, Your Majesty! I just think-

Your duty is to follow orders. Is that clear?

...Yes, Your Majesty. Your will shall be done.

Dear me, the words that come out of my mouth sometimes...

Zephiel. Kind of an rear end, even compared to humanity in general.

Also I'm calling complete and utter bullshit on this, if Narcian went up against Hector he would not have survived the encounter. Like, Hector with a hand axe would wipe the floor with these clowns. And can you imagine Hector, with a hand axe, on a throne...? Yeah, bullshit.

Meanwhile, in the lower left, less bullshit corner of the map, Roy and his group approaches the castle.

Yeah, probably. I saw some of Bern's soldiers take him into the castle.

Chad, was it? Do you know the inside of Castle Araphen well?

I guess so.
...Wait, are you guys going to try to save Lord Hector? Sounds like a bad idea to me. Most of Bern's forces are gone, but there are still plenty of soldiers in the castle. Marching in would be suicide.

...I'm going to have to teach Chad how we operate.

Perhaps. But you said most of their army is already gone.
We can't afford to lose Lord Hector. If we have a chance, we must take it.

Really, now...? I'll come with you then. I can show you around the castle.

What? You don't have to do that.

:argh: God drat it Roy!

Please, just explain what the interior of the castle is like.

I've got a bone to pick with Bern. Please, let me go with you!

If you insist, we're happy to have you. I think your skills will be an asset.

Yeah, I can pick any locked doors or chests!

A thief is always handy!

I didn't think the invasion would pick up so quickly...

Princess, you're not responsible for this. Please don't blame yourself.
Besides, Lycia is still united. We just need Lord Hector to lead our army so we can fight! We must retake Castle Araphen for all of Lycia... and for Lilina...

Let's move out!

The generics just sat there and let us plot our strategy in peace, for which I shall reward them with a swift death. First, however:

An orphan from the Lycian border to Bern.

HP 85, Str 50, Skl 50, Spd 80, Lck 60, Def 25, Res 15

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo those growths, 80% to gain speed, even Hector!Wolt would be jealous, holy poo poo-

...until he gets to the part where thieves don't get to promote in FE6 and are stuck with half the level potential and unpromoted caps (20 across the board).

Well, that's how it goes in worlds where some kind soul hasn't hacked the Gibson and raised all their caps to 30, anyway. Let's just say I expect good things from Chad.

(I suspect this may come back to bite me since I think enemies autolevel in this game which means they can take advantage of the new caps too... but oh well, that's only fair.)

And since this level is a little bigger than the ones before, have a map! There's shenanigans in the roofed part in the NE, two chests for Chad to break into in the room on the right, and two villages to visit.

:getin:

Wolt eradicates the soldier and dodges the counter.

Nothing much else happens on the first turn.

Or the second, really.

Something is brewing up in this little house, however...

You get no guesses as to which one of these is a recruitable character and which is the NPC.

Of course. The St. Elimine Church will take good care of the orphans. And what will you do, Lugh?

I'm going to stay here. I have some things to take care of.

Is that so...? Please be safe.

Yes, you too.

You're not coming with us, Lugh?

I'm going to wait for Chad. We'll catch up with you later...

Yay! Chad's coming too?

Of course.

I want Raigh back too!

Yes... If Raigh would come back we would all be together again.

Children, we must be off.

See you, Lugh.

Don't take too long.

Yes, yes. Hurry along now...

The NPCs scurry off to the north, completely ignoring the enemy archer parked right outside the door.

Wolt and Marcus will go pick up Lugh (and slaughter the enemies in the way). Meanwhile, Chad gets started on those growths.

He's not terribly strong to start with, but he can do enough to pick off weakened enemies. He gets 45 Exp for it, so that was nice.

In a strange twist of fate, Allen not only hits with both attacks, he dodges, too!

Bors, Lot, and...

...Lance get to work on the soldiers in the east.

Shanna gets to pick off a softened-up one and gets loving benched

Allen kills this guy, too. He's on a roll!

So's Wolt, one-rounding one of the soldiers in the west for a rather Hector level.

At least Shanna's good for something.

Here, take this and go quickly. We may be occupied by Bern, but we're still Lycians at heart!

She picks up a Mend staff, which is slightly better than the Heal one Elen is currently doing her very best to break.

Allen thinks he's done enough for a day and goes back to his old habits of missing half his attacks.

Finally, I could have waited until Wolt gets his arse up to the hut and deals with the archer, but Marcus decides that gently caress that, he's giving the guy an aggressive haircut.

Like so.

He gains four experience points. Still worth it.

This ends our turn, and also causes the roof on the building in the north-east to fly off.

Oh, it's this rear end in a top hat again.

What's left of the enemy are likely putting up one last fight.

poo poo

No need, milady. We can handle them without so much as breaking a sweat.

Annnd there goes the tension.

Milady.

Mystery Dragon Lady is unconvinced, or maybe she just doesn't like Narcian's face. Possibly both.

Not now, Idun. Send the dragons back to Bern as planned.

I still refuse to believe these scrubs could take on Hector and not only live but win, but any two of them (or a dragon!) would kinda stomp Roy's army before they could say "hax".

Yes, Your Highness. As you will.

Fortunately for us, the only one who's staying behind is the lovely one.

Narcian, I leave Lycia in your hands.

...What shall I do with the remnants of the Lycian army?

Kill all who stand against you.

...What of women and children?

Grind them to dust. Ensure no others dare dream of opposing us.

Of course, Your Majesty. Hm hm hm...

The people who could actually have challenged Roy's band gently caress off to the east...

...and Narcian parks his slimy behind on the throne.

Well, I think it's time I left as well. Slater, I entrust the castle to you.

Might I inquire where you are going, sire?

A marquess who turned against Lycia has a special gift for me. He says it's a girl of Eturian nobility... Hm hm hm...

SUDDEN SCENE CHANGE

Prison asteroid of Nippon V, Intelligent System. Stardate 2002.

In a dark room just big enough for a desk and table, battle programmer YOSHI sits hunched over a coffee-stained keyboard in front of a flickering monitor. He is overworked and underpaid, underweight, and visibly balding at age 34, and his thick, square-lensed, black plastic-rimmed glasses reflect the numbers slowly crawling by on the screen. His desk holds 18 empty paper coffee cups, all of them still wet.

Enter scenario writer HIRO. He is equally underpaid and overworked. His beard has been growing for three days, which is also how long it has been since he last slept. He rubs his eyes and doesn't even bother to stifle a yawn before he speaks.

HIRO: "I don't think our evil sneering villain character is hateable enough. I'm drawing a blank. Help me, man."

YOSHI: "Just do the usual, Hiro, if I don't finish this work before midnight the Overlord will eat my children."

HIRO nods and stumbles back to his own small, dark room. YOSHI empties his 19th cup of cheap, watery coffee and pauses, hands hovering over the keyboard. He must assign a constitution score to this pegasus knight, but the appearance of HIRO has derailed his train of thought.

He shakes his head and lets his hand fall, hitting a key at random. It's four. Four sounds good to him. It's no longer his problem.

SUDDEN SCENE CHANGE

oh yeah and gently caress this guy too. Happily however, unlike Narcian we will be allowed to kill him before the map is over.

Yes, the marquess tells me she's a beautiful thing.

You must be looking forward to it, sire. Please be careful on your way there.

You be careful too, Slater. Don't let these scattered remnants defeat you. Should you fail, I personally will order your evisceration.

I don't think Narcian understands the whole "people die when they are killed" thing. I will have to show him.

Ha ha ha ha...!

We're down one douche. Slater takes the throne (because of course he does) and as the enemy phase starts, two cavaliers spawn in from the right. I guess this also explains why the generics at the start just sat there and let us invade the place: they don't get paid enough to deal with Rapistdee and Rapistdum every time the leader of an enemy nation comes charging in with a small army.

The cavs will make a pain of themselves eventually, but it's a couple of turns from now, so we don't need to care just yet. Meanwhile, Roy's our boy.

God drat it Allen

Wolt shows everyone how it's done.

And Lance (naturally) lands both his hits. Sadly, he does not proc his 2% crit chance, but he's still better than Allen.

Let's try this again.

God drat it Wade. Now this guy is free to chuck a javelin at Roy next turn, I hope you're both very proud of yourselves.

Wade kills another soldier, though. By wasting my precious hand axe uses. But hell, I'll take it after the last attempt.

And finally, Marcus is in range to visit the hut.

Please, let me fight with you! I don't have any useful information, but I can use a bit of magic! I'm sure I can help you!

Marcus, being older and wiser than Roy, does not attempt to turn down a free Star of Destiny recruit. Lugh pops out and is immediately controllable.

A young mage. Grew up in an orphanage destroyed by Bern.

Our very first caster! :toot: Lugh's growths are HP 50, Mag 40, Skl 50, Spd 50, Lck 35, Def 15, Res 30, which is pretty respectable! ...But his bases are only slightly better than Elen's, so he'll need babying. Still, at least he can do damage which means he can gain more than 11 points of experience per player turn.

Roy turns a nameless soldier into rust upon his blade, and... does not profit terribly from it. But most of our level-ups, though sparse, have had at least one Good Stat in them though, so it's far too early to get depressed. I believe in you, Roy.

Lance isn't about to let a nobody like the protagonist show him up, so he gets flashy. Then he gets numbers.

I believe in Lance too. Possibly a little bit more so than Roy, but don't tell him that.

More cavs spawn in. The first couple are sitting up in the NW corner.

Wade squishes a knight. Half the stats, probably twice the utility of Roy's level.

He's taking a bit of a beating, but he should be fi

...:sweatdrop:

I forgot to check the cavs for javelins. That could have been bad.

Little of note happens on the enemy turn. No more cavaliers spawn.

Shanna gets another kill! Not that she has deserved it, mind.

Bors will choke this point.

Bors will be Bors.

Roy thinks it's worth wasting a couple of rapier uses to one-round this guy.

Allen tries to help too I guess but you shouldn't expect too m

:catstare:

You know what, Allen? All is not forgiven, but a whole drat lot is. Keep it up.

That EXP gain. Mm, mm, mm. Sadly though, it's all Chad's getting on this map.

still better than Shanna

Just a couple of knights left below. They're tough, though.

Lance only does two damage!

Deke tries to help him, but Lance is too attached to his lance to level up his sword skills. Sad.

Lot does away with it instead.

Roy could try his hand at this, but Slater's a little hardier than Ruud. Five damage per rapier use isn't worth it.

Wolt does more damage than Lance.

This knight does have a vulnerary I was going to have Chad nick, but I forgot to check for javelins again so he attacked Wolt and died, the end.

Chad gets to work on the chests instead. There's a Halberd in this one. It's a D-rank axe effective against cavaliers and paladins, which is nice. Heavy, though, and only 18 uses. I'll probably just keep it pristine forever.

Deke took back the Armorslayer and parked himself in front of the throne. He doubles and can two-shot Slater with it, if both swings connect.

...What awaits me... is a fate worse than death...!!

Oh, I wouldn't worry too hard about that. :smug:

Deke dodges.

Slater does not.

:argh:

That's the last enemy. I have Chad loot the second chest (3000 moneys) and Elen heal a bunch of people (0 moneys) and then Roy wipes the Slater off the throne and sits down.

Scene.

We cound Lord Hector in the dungeon!

You did?! Is he all right?

He's gravely wounded...

Lord Hector! That gaping wound...! We must get you help! Here, lean on my shoulder...

Lord Hector...

We were taken by surprise... We'd have never supposed that Bern had summoned dragons...!

Dragons?!

Yes... The same dragons that humans fought against in the Scouring...

The Scouring? I learned of that in my studies. Eons ago, dragon and human each had dominion of half of Elibe. The Scouring was a war for total control of the continent...

Roy I love you and all but don't infodump over Hector's last moments, you little poo poo!

(also shouldn't you know a little more than that about dragons give your dad is both a dragon slayer and most likely dragon layer as well)

Very good, lad... The Eight Legends... defeated the dragons and led the humans to... victory...

"Your dad and I did something similar like 20 years back, it was pretty rad, too bad you weren't around to see it, could have learned a few things."

How did Bern summon dragons...?

I... haven't the faintest... But... Bern was once the dragons' domain... Hartmut, one of the Eight Legends... was the founder of Bern... Perhaps... the reason... lies there...

Lord Hector!

Roy... Go to Ostia... You must... lead what remains of the Lycian Army... in my place...

Me...? But...

Fear not... in Ostia... is a weapon... that... can take down a dragon...

A weapon?

Lilina can tell you more... Please take care of her... She... may act strong... But she is still a child... Please... don't let... her... d...

I promise you, I won't.

...Lilina... Let me... see you... just... once more...
Hrk...!!

I'm sorry to cut this short without a single humorous sprite edit but I'm in a bit of a state of emergency you see it seems to suddenly have started raining here god drat it Hector why :cry:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 4, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I think it's high time that some useless character late in the game is replaced by a certain axe wielding maniac from the prequel to this game.

By which I mean just dump some random prepromote you'll never use, and bring in Hector.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Zephiel's line here is interesting. There's a lot of self-awareness in a comment like 'the things that come out if my mouth" that suggest not everything is pig-slaying and burning villages for him.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hector. :smith:

I always did find it interesting how in this game, he's just "random important old dude who dies in a cutscene". And then FE7 happened, and made Hector into a fun character.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

vilkacis posted:

Yes... If Raigh would coem back we would all be together again.

If I thought this game had a bit more self-awareness, I'd take that long-rear end chain delegation of "go kill those pesky heroes please" responsibility as a parody.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So I was bored at work and I have some bad news for you Vilkacis. I ran every permutation of circumstances between Narshen and Hector (with their default equipment in this game), giving Hector throne bonuses wherever possible and Narshen wins every single time except one. And if we take away Hector's throne bonuses, he loses that one too. :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also Vilk would you rather I just add in Rogue promotions for your thieves? I mean that seems better than all caps 30.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I pay you to wear impractical boob-window armor, now stand back while I chew this scenery and check off 4 or 5 more Evil Overlord tropes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Even average Hector would decimate this game. Because he's an Axe user with actual decent Skill as well as great everything else.
Why did he have to die? Do Narshen, no less. The worst villain.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Even average Hector would decimate this game. Because he's an Axe user with actual decent Skill as well as great everything else.
Why did he have to die? Do Narshen, no less. The worst villain.

Actually he'd be killed rather easy. Especially against the magic users. Narshen and Brunya are both pretty obvious hard counters to Hector with the Runesword and Fimbulvetr. Narshen gets his WTA and drains life, Brunya just freezes what's left of his corpse. Like I know we all like to joke that they needed Dragons to kill Hector but Zephiel actually brought two guys with him who completely wreck even a good Hectors poo poo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Hector chilled the gently caress out after FE7, and his stats relaxed as well. Instead of his Wolf Beil he has a Puppy Beil and not really feeling this whole fighting thing. Man, the last thing I wasted was a dragon with 120 HP. I am Done.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Onmi posted:

Actually he'd be killed rather easy. Especially against the magic users. Narshen and Brunya are both pretty obvious hard counters to Hector with the Runesword and Fimbulvetr. Narshen gets his WTA and drains life, Brunya just freezes what's left of his corpse. Like I know we all like to joke that they needed Dragons to kill Hector but Zephiel actually brought two guys with him who completely wreck even a good Hectors poo poo.

Narshen would have some edge due to speed advantage and Runesword's life draining properties, but Hector actually does start with a Silver Lance in this game (and the A-Rank to use it).
As for Brunya, Hector has a Brave Axe and 20 skill so it all depends on who got to attack first. If Hector got the initiative Brunya would wind up being a smear.

Of course, we don't know how the battle actually went down.
If it was 2-on-1, yeah Hector was screwed.
1-on-1, Hector would fight either fairly well, especially with Throne advantages.
*EDIT* Oh yeah, didn't factor in range and the fact that FE6 bosses never move :v:

The real problem is that Hector only has 18 Strength in this game :wtc:
Eliwood has 25 :psyduck: and an S-Rank in Lances and would whoop Zephiel's jabroni rear end.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 4, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
He was an FE boss to them so he was sitting on the throne and they attacked him first, and he couldn't counter since he doesn't have ranged weapons, and Zephiel seized (which is why he is sitting in the throne when Roy shows up).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

CmdrKing posted:

Zephiel's line here is interesting. There's a lot of self-awareness in a comment like 'the things that come out if my mouth" that suggest not everything is pig-slaying and burning villages for him.

I'm taking it more as he's trying to look as if it's not all pig-slaying and village-burning. Because he's a Deke.

Dog dman ti.

Artix posted:

So I was bored at work and I have some bad news for you Vilkacis. I ran every permutation of circumstances between Narshen and Hector (with their default equipment in this game), giving Hector throne bonuses wherever possible and Narshen wins every single time except one. And if we take away Hector's throne bonuses, he loses that one too. :v:

Well of course you're going to get weird bogus results if you're using some kind of imposter Hector who hasn't capped all his stats and loaded up on proper weapons like the real one obviously would :colbert:

Onmi posted:

Also Vilk would you rather I just add in Rogue promotions for your thieves? I mean that seems better than all caps 30.

I'll think about it. Going to see how things play out first.

He was an FE boss to them so he was sitting on the throne and they attacked him first, and he couldn't counter since he doesn't have ranged weapons, and Zephiel seized (which is why he is sitting in the throne when Roy shows up).

stop making sense

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

When I first played this, I thought Chad had to recruit Lugh.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 4: Crumbling League or, A Trustworthy Face

So if any of you were wondering why my face is wet it's because it's still raining and also shut up.

Roy is kind of depressed after the recent events. Not that I blame him.

governed by Lord Erik.

Beneath this beauty, however, lies treachery and great skullduggery...

Surely Erik of all people can't be involved, have you ever seen a more trustworthy face?

After the title card, we see Narcian fly in, accompanied by a stench most foul.

Gasp! Who would have thought that Erik would be in league with reptile-brain over there?!

Lord Erik. I don't think I've yet praised your wisdom in joining Bern.

"It's going to get you killed in about 15 minutes when Roy comes seeking revenge, but it was very wise. At least this way, you won't need to grow old. ...Older."

Thank you, sire. Ancient vows and traditions are nothing more than a burden anyway.

...I can't say I completely disagree with his viewpoint, but...

You, my friend, are wise beyond your years. Now, where is that gift you promised me? She does not seem to be here.

...Yeah, I'm not going to feel too bad about cooking him in his own armour.

I can do that, now. Because Lugh.

Ah, yes! She is in her quarters. She is exceedingly naive, you see. When I told her she could meet her brother, she cooperated without question.
You there! Bring her here!

Welcome, Lady Clarine.

Who might you be?

I am Narcian, one of Bern's three Wyvern Generals. My lovely little lass, I think you will enjoy my company more than your brother's...

:barf:

:stonk:

Heh... Ha ha ha!

What? Why do you laugh?

You compare yourself to my brother? You think too highly of yourself. Your garb, your hair - even your speech... All a painfully obvious guise to hide your true lowborn face.

Oh, heavens no.

... I think we're going to get along just fine.

Y-you vermin!! I'll see you suffer!

What?! Impossible! What of Slater?

Oh! Me! Me! Pick me!

Err... His whereabouts are unknown, sire.

He's around. Here and there. And all the way over there.

The enemy is reported to be Roy, son of Marquess Pherae.

Accursed interruptions! Lord Erik, lock the girl in a cell. I will give her the pleasure of my company when I return!
You, blockade the highroad from Ostia. This Roy might just pass by. I want his head!

Yes, sire!

So are we going to finally have a boss fight with Narcian, vent our frustrations, spill his blood in Hector's name?

Hahaha, no. He runs off again.

I'm not really feeling it. I can buy this once, but now? We've pissed him off. He wants Roy's head. And he's just going to run off, again leaving a conveniently underpowered underling to handle matters instead of curbstomping us while he still can. It feels not so much like we're winning this because we're good, but rather because they are dumb, which is not the greatest thing.

But no matter, we have a fuckton of ponies to slaughter and that always puts me in a good mood. Not that our formation's exactly ideal for it... How long until I get to rearrange my unit before battles, again?

Anyway, since there are only three ways in to where we're sitting, we could probably just weather the battle by placing people like Bors or Wolt on those bridges and having the enemy break themselves against our invulnerable defences...

But the map is kinda big, and it would take forever for those archers on the left to waddle all the way over to us.

Also, these forts look kinda suspicious.

Still going to start by plugging up the holes, though. We wouldn't want someone to exhale gently in Elen's direction or anything. Meanwhile, our designated village-visitor will visit this village.

Only thieves can use lockpicks. But I have something called a door key, which will open any door. Anyone can use it. You can have it.

:3:

I mean I'm not totally amazed by a door key but maybe this kid bought it with his allowance or something because he wanted to not be a useless sack of poo poo like most NPCs. Maybe one day he'll even have a name.

Because I don't trust those forts, Shanna picks up Wade and will be dropping him on one of those little islands in case there's a problem that needs to be addressed.

Bors dodges an attack and gains a level. It's Def, so I'm happy.

This guy runs a sword through Wolt's face for one point of damage.

And Lugh finally gets to do something.

The average level in the group is still pretty low, but there's still a couple of people who are noticeably worse off than the rest. We'll try to let the kids catch up.

They'll try, too.

The first wave isn't really anything special, and they're outnumbered. They go down fast. Bors proceeds to try and draw out the next wave.

Once they loot a town, there's nothing left. Visit the towns quickly and they might just share something good!

Marcus visits the little hut next to the village. Pirates, you say...?

Wade hates pirates. I think he's jealous of their mad water-walking skills. Meanwhile, I don't expect Shanna will be a great deal of help so she'll just gently caress off back to land.

The next group takes the bait, but Bors has a javelin and 12 Def and is not terribly bothered.

5 mov. On a knight. It's fun.

Meanwhile, in Erik's basement.

Who's there?!

Here's a new face.

I will not.

For whatever reason, Clarine doesn't think it looks like a trustworthy one.

I refuse to meet with such churlish people.

Just get over here.

Let go, I say!

I don't think he's letting go, but we'll have to wait until next turn to find out.

And now it's the next turn. Shanna, meet Enemy Nomad and his friend Horrible Instant Death Radius.

Yeah, she's not going anywhere unless we deal with this guy.

Before that, though, Elen fixes a scratch Lot got last round and actually hits her 50% magic growth this time!

She does not get any more resistant to physical damage, like slight breezes, but you can't have it all. Unless you're Wolt.

Freshly patched up, Lot takes out that archer so Shanna can go shopping in peace. There's both a vendor and an armoury next to the lower village. She picks up a couple of heal staves (and it's about time, Elen's initial one is already running out, she's got like 10 charges left).

Still nothing down by Wade and the forts, but we've thinned the enemy ranks a bit.

Clarine appears to be wishing we'd managed to put a stray arrow through this motherfucker instead.

Keep it down. You won't be able to make a clean escape making all that noise.

Escape?! Then you're...

"...cosplaying as Dante from Devil May Cry?"

I prepared a horse for you out back under a tree. Take it and go, while everyone's distracted.

Why are you helping me?

I despise Bern with all my soul.

With all your soul?

...Never mind. Forget it.

Saying that only piques my curiosity further.

Time is short. Hurry!

Clarine pops out as a green, AI controlled unit. Unlike just about every other green unit, you actually don't have to protect her - the enemies just don't care that she's there until she turns blue (spoiler).

I've never met such a boorish man! This is a battlefield! A proper gentleman would escort a lady to her mansion!
Well, it's hardly of concern now.
Sigh, I only came here to see my brother, and now look at the mess I'm in... What am I to do now?

You're going to run over to me and recruit yourself by talking to Roy.

Spoilers.

So drat happy the enemies don't go for her because she's like, very slightly more durable than Elen.

A self-centered lady of Eturia. Commander Klain's younger sister.

Very slightly.

That aside, she's a healer, on a horse! What more could you ask for?

the ability to attack enemies and make more than 11 EXP per round doesn't count okay shut up

"I'm still down here, guys! Guys?"

Having an archer who's as tanky as Hector (:sigh:) is a really nice way to draw things in without killing them so weaker characters can get some experience. That duty fulfilled, Wolt finally gets to hit back. This isn't a kill, but he only needs one more EXP for a level...

...and now the only person with more defence in this party is Bors. Wolt has officially out-tanked Marcus.

The speed is nice, too.

I was going to have Roy weaken this guy a bit so Lugh could get some levels,

...but he went like What, weaken him? gently caress that, I'mma crit a motherfucker.

That was a good level, Roy, you don't have to look so sad.

Lance contributes as well.

I like that speed and defence, but I'm starting to feel like you're putting off something important...

Lugh burns a man to death.

And Lot sits just where the lower cavalier can get to him.

"Guys? Guuuuys?"

But suddenly!

'Course, you'll hear no complaints from us. Turmoil's how we make a living. Heh heh heh...

You will not be making much living much longer, little man.

Sadly both pirates who spawned (there was one behind the guy's portrait above) have hand axes, but Lot is holding the only one we have. Wade might need some help with this after all.

Speaking of Lot, he's doing really well for himself.

Clarine runs towards Roy, but is too far away to talk to him.

Those 3% make all the difference, as Wade hits and dodges.

I figured Shanna might be able to help out a little, but... yeah. Bors takes this one. Shanna's going to visit that second village instead. Don't need stats for that.

And Allen weakens the other one so Lugh can finish the job.

He profits quite nicely.

We'll all suffer under Bern's iron-fisted rule. But you just might be able to stop them. Here is something that will help you fight a little longer. Think carefully before using it.

I hope that's a general "you" because otherwise someone might just be horribly disappointed.

Still, he gives her an Angelic robe, our first permanent stat booster! In this case, it's +7 HP. Shanna herself would make good use out of it, but that's assuming she ever sees combat again and I wouldn't exactly bet money on that. Maybe Lugh or Chad... We'll see.

Not a whole lot of enemies left! So of course Erik is feeling a little screwed, and...

...calls in the cav... the reinforcements.

What do you want?

We need some backup. Take some troops and prepare for battle.

Are you deaf? Go and fight!

I heard you. I'll leave when I'm ready.

I'm sure you all wish you could treat your employers like this on occasion.

If his sword arm is a s skilled as the rumor s say, though, then it's no matter.

(See, I don't need to wish because just like this guy, I'm skilled enough to pull it off. :smugdog:)

Enemy phase again, and the pirate who had parked himself on that fort... steps off it again so he can handaxe Wade from a distance.

Wade may not be able to hit back, but he can take that fort and laugh as they distract themselves chucking axes all over the place without hitting a thing until I can get him something with a little bit of range on it.

And finally,

Clarine is in range to talk to Roy. He can't talk to her, mind; it has to be the other way around.

Do you see anyone else?

Aside from my whole army?

...No?

You are the leader of this little group, are you not?

I am.

Most convenient. Very well then. You will protect me.

Excuse me?

Hard of hearing? I said that you will protect me from harm.

Away with you, peasant. I was not addressing you.

What?! Who do you tink-

It looks like she's being pursued by the castle's soldiers. That's why she wants us to guard her. Right?

Um, yes! That is correct...

Im... impudent child! We can't simply accept any useless girl into our army!

And I am not useless! I can use staves to heal wounded allies.

So you'll help us fight?

...If that's what it takes! I suppose I can't simply demand protection without any kind of payment.

Thanks, we appreciate it! Our enemy is Bern, so we need everyone we can get.
I'm Roy. Pleased to meet you, Lady Clarine.

The pleasure is all-
Ahem! Let's focus on the issue at hand.

Not much of an issue left to focus on, presently. Clarine joins and is immediately under our control. This will be very handy, as soon as I've got some of my people injured again. You've seen her stats already, but here are the growths: HP 40, Mag 30, Skl, 40, Spd 50, Lck 65, Def 10 Res 40. It's a toss-up as to who is better statwise, Clarine or Elen, but Clarine does have a huge advantage in that she's riding a horse.

Bors tries to speed thing up a little, but he misses. Not that it matters, mind.

What's worse, Wolt misses too. drat it Wolt, do you know what I'm payi-

You know what Wolt, just keep it up, there's a good Wolt.

Well, it gives Allen a chance to... huh. He's more speedy than strong, now.

Yes, that will do nicely.

It's okay, he can handle it as long as there's only one, and now he can do it again!

Lance's not powerful, but he's reliable. Here, he crits on a 3% chance. With another (non-critical) hit as well, he brings the cav low enough...

...that Bors can finish it. I'm not expecting him to go around doubling things, but he can at least try not to get doubled by others.

Then Rutger shows up and... wait, poo poo, that's a little close for comfort. I was expecting him, like, right outside the castle gate.

:supaburn:

At least he doesn't do much dama-

he doubles Wolt :derp:

...at least he didn't crit. That would have been a reset.

Fortunately, the rest of his group isn't equipped with killer weapons, so.

There are more pirates now, which is good because they can't all attack from hand axe distance! Someone will have to get up close and personal, and when they do...

By the way, this is how lovely archers are in vanilla Fire Emblem.

Rutger is the only big problem here, but Roy doesn't have any means of communicating with him that doesn't involve bloody murder, most likely with Roy on the receiving end.

That's better.

What? You're still here?

"Still here?" You abandoned me in the middle of a battlefield! How can you have the nerve to say that?! I could have been killed!

Actually if you had just walked to the edge of the battlefield you would have been in no danger whatsoever :ssh:

I guess you're lucky you're still alive then. Did you want something or can I go now?

Stone cold.

Just a moment! I shan't allow you to abandon me twice. A gentlemen must take responsibility for his actions.

Responsibility? For what? I saved you from that twisted sadist.

If a gentleman rescues a lady, he must also escort her to her mansion! In what fairy tale does some barf of a man abandon his princess?

Besides, you said you "despise Bern with all your soul." If you ask me, you'd be better of joining us. We'll be fighting Bern, you know.

What? Wait! Is that true? Is that army you're in really going to challenge Bern?

Fine.

Yes?

I'll join your army. Satisfied?

Ah... I suppose.

My protection is more important than fighting Bern! Come back!

I imagine Clarine would be pretty obnoxious if anyone she talks to gave her any measure of respect whatsoever. As is though...

A young man seeking revenge on Bern.

So now we have a Rutger.

Let's see what he can do!

...Welcome to the party, Rutger.

His growths are HP 80, Str 30, Skl 60, Spd 50, Lck 30, Def 20, Res 20. Pretty respectable magic resistance for a swordy guy, and that speed looks delicious. His strength grows at the same rate as Shanna's, though...

Speaking of whom, she'll try to get Wade one of the hand axes she bought earlier and hopefully not die in the process. (If she does, I'm calling it an acceptable sacrifice.)

With nothing but pirates and the boss left, Allen takes care of the houses.

Some weapons completely reverse the weapon triangle! For instance, you might find an axe that will work well against swords.

Oh, might I, now? I think I'd like that.

That's all the excitement left on this stage. Enemy phase over, Shanna tosses him a hand axe.

The traitorous marquess of Laus.

Since he's in range to be attacked now, here's Erik. He's... actually a step down from last time. Hell, Ruud had more punch to him.

He does have a javelin, but he starts with a steel sword equipped, so we're free to chip away from a distance this turn. He'll switch when he's able, but Lugh can survive a shot from the javelin and the archer isn't in range to hit him.

Allow me to teach you the way of the world!

The way of the world is as follows: We beat you up, you drop experience points.

Meanwhile...

We're not about to abandon the land in which we were born. Please take this sword. It was given to us generations ago. A gift from the marquess.

It's a... steel blade.

Dude, your marquess was a lovely gift-giver. I mean it's not that it's completely useless, but I was all set up for an axe that reverses the weapon triangle and now I'm disappointed.

Wade gets stronger axing one of the pirates with his regular, boring axe. The others all miss him.

Except for this one who misses Shanna instead.

Erik goes for Lugh as expected. Bors chips a few more experience points off...

...before Lugh gets the kill.

(I did save state before that.)

Ha... ha ha... Fools... There is no future for... those... who oppose... absolute power...

Stats worthy of a boss kill.

I left Shanna hanging around Wade. Forced to choose between getting good and getting dead, she picks the former. Good for her!

Also I'm suddenly realizing that she has twice Wade's defence. What the hell is up with the stats in this army?

The islands are now pirate-free, so we seize the castle and win. Also no they're not, I killed them all.

Thank you. Tell everyone to get some rest.

Yes, milord.

milady

Does he look all right?

I never would have thought Lord Erik would turn on Lycia. I thought the Lycian League's bond was stronger than this. Cowardly Bern! Underhanded tactics!

...I apolgize.

Oh... I'm sorry. I wasn't even thinking about you.

No... You are right.

We'll now proceed west towards Ostia. But now we know that even the other marquesses can't be trusted. With Lord Hector gone, I fear there may be no peaceful end for this war.
Princess, do you plan on returning to Bern? If you need anything-

No, please allow me to stay, if it would not be a burden.

You, a burden? Never! But why do you wish to stay?

My brother is wrong. He is pulling the dragons into a human war. If he thinks this is how he can free the world, I must stop him.

Free the world?

Yes, he has always been obsessed with "liberating the world." He said that's the purpose of this war.

What does that mean?

I do not know... My brother is not so power-hungry that he would attempt to conquer the world. I'm sure he believes strongly in what he's done to Elibe. Regardless, that doesn't excuse the violence he has caused...

Princess Guinivere...

I'm not so sure I agree with the princess there, but I'm sure she knows what she's talking about hahahahahahahahasorry. Anyway, look, a title drop! So early! We'll check that out next time.

...I mean it's not as if we have a choice or anything. But still. And just maybe Roy will cheer up a little by then, so I hope you're all looking forward to it.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

:I'm so depressed! I need to wear my depressed garb!

• Locked thread