Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bellmaker posted:

The idea is great, but the original map is too. drat. LONG.

Make it like a hub world or something to reduce the travel time because zzzzzzzzzz

I tried that, It just killed the map even deader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

He does not have any chest hair.

Truly, he is a disappointing end-game boss in every way.

I'm inclined to take the in-game content as canon, so he clearly has chest hair.

See, now you know what douchebags humans are and how much better it would be if DRAGONS ruled!

BrightWing posted:

I blame this thread for making me go back and finish the current run of Jojo's
ZA WARUDO

I don't think the word "blame" belongs here, it should be, like, "commend" or something.

quote:

Been meaning to ask, how did you do the whole Super Jeigan thing anyway? Set Marcus as a tier 1 unit that uses the paladin sprite? Also, whats his new caps?

More or less.

And +4 in everything.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BrightWing posted:

I blame this thread for making me go back and finish the current run of Jojo's
ZA WARUDO

Been meaning to ask, how did you do the whole Super Jeigan thing anyway? Set Marcus as a tier 1 unit that uses the paladin sprite? Also, whats his new caps?

I'm pretty sure the game doesn't keep track of tiers except for exp, but rather just stores what a class promotes into with the seals containing a list of classes they promote. So all he'd need to do is add paladin to the knight crest and modify an unused class into Super Jeigan for paladin to get flagged as promoting to.

Assuming my very light memory of the romhacking tools is accurate anyway.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm pretty sure the game doesn't keep track of tiers except for exp, but rather just stores what a class promotes into with the seals containing a list of classes they promote. So all he'd need to do is add paladin to the knight crest and modify an unused class into Super Jeigan for paladin to get flagged as promoting to.

Assuming my very light memory of the romhacking tools is accurate anyway.

This matches up with my memory, too. You could in theory make someone promote through every class in the game in sequence. Lord > Myrmidon > Cavalier > Pegasus Knight > Archer > Mage > Cleric etc etc etc.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Okay, but I'd like to take this moment to point out that you just shanked a dragon who thought the most imposing and mystical name he could come up with to call himself by was essentially "John".

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

KataraniSword posted:

Okay, but I'd like to take this moment to point out that you just shanked a dragon who thought the most imposing and mystical name he could come up with to call himself by was essentially "John".

Well...to be fair, he also could've called himself Yahn, but...I suppose for all the strengths of our recent fan translators (BookofHolsety and Gringe), names...are not exactly one of them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Fionordequester posted:

Well...to be fair, he also could've called himself Yahn, but...I suppose for all the strengths of our recent fan translators (BookofHolsety and Gringe), names...are not exactly one of them.

Jahn and Yahn are the exact same name said the exact same way. See-Also Julius/Yulius

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Rather fitting that a boring exposition chapter has a boss named "Yawn".

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Onmi posted:

Jahn and Yahn are the exact same name said the exact same way. See-Also Julius/Yulius

Not in English.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

GeneX posted:

Not in English.

:ssh: They aren't English names.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BlazeEmblem posted:

And yet in English we still don't pronounce it Yulius Ceaser, we use our J sound. :shrug: Spoken languages are stupid and the rules only apply when convenient.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

And yet in English we still don't pronounce it Yulius Ceaser, we use our J sound. :shrug: Spoken languages are stupid and the rules only apply when convenient.

In cases like that we are using an English version of the name to refer to that person. With Jahn, we would be using the natural pronunciation of his name (according to Wikipedia, it's a German surname).

Most likely, the Yahn from the first translation was caused by the translator looking at how it was written in the Japanese text, and using that name instead of trying to figure out what the name was actually supposed to represent.

This is the same reason why stupid people insist that Sanger Zonvolt's name is supposed to be Zenger.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

BlazeEmblem posted:

In cases like that we are using an English version of the name to refer to that person. With Jahn, we would be using the natural pronunciation of his name (according to Wikipedia, it's a German surname).

Most likely, the Yahn from the first translation was caused by the translator looking at how it was written in the Japanese text, and using that name instead of trying to figure out what the name was actually supposed to represent.

This is the same reason why stupid people insist that Sanger Zonvolt's name is supposed to be Zenger.

See also in this game, Yodel/Jodel, Yuno/Juno.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

BlazeEmblem posted:

This is for an english speaking audience where J and Y are pronounced very differently.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't know about Jahn specifically, but for Juno, Julia, and Julius, the Japanese name was a direct transliteration of the latin name, rather than passing through english. The reasonable translation, then, is to notice that and use the english version of that latin name (which has a j). Someone who doesn't notice the connection, or who overvalues literalness, would leave the y in.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Final Chapter: Beyond the Darkness or, Thanks For All The Fish

Are you ready to finish this?

I think I am.

There's not much left. Just the inner chamber... and the demon dragon inside, who is not entirely pleased to see us.

You're the Dark Priestess... The demon dragon.

...Why do you block my path?

What...?

I have been instructed to lead this world. I will bring peace. Why do you bar my path?

...You're wrong. Peace at the cost of humanity is hardly any kind of peace at all. The man who ordered you is gone. You can stop! You have no reason to fight!

None of us have reason to fight.

...I feel that eons ago... I heard those same words. Soft words, like a warm breeze...
But that was long ago. I have slumbered for far too long. In the darkness, I dreamed... An empty dream. Black. Colorless...
But I am awoken now. His Majesty willed it so.

His Majesty... Zephiel!

I am awoken. I have left the darkness of my dreams. My path is now lit. I know what I must do.

No matter how much time must pass, that is my duty...

You insist on fighting us?

As long as you stand in my way.

Your will... seems unbreakable...

My will is His Majesty's. I awoke for the purpose of fulfilling his desires.

And then,

...she transforms.

That seems unavoidable.

No matter what happens, I will protect Lord Roy...

Fascinating... Now, shall we?

And as usual,

Whoa! We gotta fight that thing?!

Yeah, we'll be fine.

...we get a few words...

I will win. I will win!

Whooooooooooa! I'm burning up!

...from our companions.

All right! Chaaaaarge!

Please be careful, Lord Roy.

There is no prep screen. All the people who were with us on the last map are here, too.

I have the blade of Hartmut, who took pity on you and spared your life! Everyone, leave the final blow to me!!

Sure, we can do that.

But the war dragons are fair game!

They're not bad, but still, dragons.

Fir lends Marcus the Durandal so he can really show off what a Super Jeigan can do. But is Wolt just going to let him hog all the glory?

"I am Sanger's son, Wolt..."

"The shaft that penetrates evil!"

"..."

"Nice shot."

"Thanks!"

Also, the last level of the LP.

Of course, Idun can spawn in an endless (I guess?) number of these things, so...

We'll have to go for the source.

Now I understand why Idun is considered non-threatening. She looks pretty neat, though!

I am alone... in the dark... I am alone... in... darkness...

And that...

...is that.

The place is shaking.

Oh no... The sanctuary is collapsing! Everyone! Hurry outside!

Roy...

I'll be fine. Now go!!

Roy has to pick up the dragon first.

It's okay, we can do that because she's a green unit now.

And just a little later, he comes running out of the collapsing final dungeon.

Yes... but the sanctuary is gone.

It was over a thousand years old. A great deal of energy was released in the battle we fought. The foundations probably couldn't withstand the pressure.

Yes...

Today marks the beginning of a new era.
...Who is that you are carrying on your back?

Merlinus, I need to ask a favor of you...

But we don't get to hear what it is.

Following Bern's surrender, its government was dismantled with the indirect support of the Kingdom of Etruria.
With Roy's help, Guinivere inherited the throne and the New Kingdom of Bern was formally established.
And on the day of her ascension...

I thank you... But my battle is just beginning.

I'm sorry... I wish we didn't have to rely on Etruria.

Not at all. I am grateful for their support. There will be those, however, who think I only joined Etruria to seize the throne.

Princess...

But the most important task at hand is Bern's reconstruction. I must regain the people's trust through my efforts. No matter how long it takes...

If there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you again. Perhaps I will someday.
Roy, are you...

Yes?

What will you do? Will you stay in the Etrurian Army?

No, I must return to Pherae. I am concerned about my father's illness, and we must begin the reconstruction effort.

You are returning home? I am sure that's for the best. Still... Someone of your ability could easily take a place in the Etrurian court.

M-me?! I don't think I deserve such a position!

Pherae is blessed to have such a gifted heir as you.

Please call me Guinivere. What is the matter?

Yes, Lady Guinivere. The ceremony is about to begin!

Thank you. I will be there shortly...

Me?

You have helped me so much ever since I left Bern with the Fire Emblem in hand. I want you to see the path Bern will take under my leadership.

Of course. If you will have me, then it is my pleasure to accompany you.

Then come... This way.

Let us see a new Bern... And the beginning of a new era.

Guinivere runs off, and if we had let someone else kill the final boss, that would be about it. However...

...we didn't do that.

I was in the area so I decided to stop by.

Fae will be glad to see you.

I saw her earlier. She is even more energetic than I remember.

We have allowed her outside more since her return. Perhaps that is why.

How is Idun doing?

We succeeded in restoring her soul, and yet...

...She's not back to normal?

Fae sometimes takes her outside, but she will do nothing without first being told to.

I see...

Lord Roy... We had know for long that she had been captured by the dragons. I feared the consequences of leaving the village, however, so I forbade any effort to rescue her. Now, though, I wonder whether my judgment was correct...

Perhaps the humans are changing the way I think. I will do my best to restore Idun's heart and soul.

...You have my gratitude.

As a first step, I want to see her express some form of emotion... It would be a good sign if she could laugh...

Meanwhile, outside...

Fae is Faeing along like usual.

Tree...

Right! And this tree has tasty fruit!

Fruit?

Yeah. Can you see it? It's up at the top.

It fell on my head...

Idun...? Did you just laugh?

Laugh...? This is a laugh?

I have to tell Roy that you laughed!

And so Fae runs off.

Idun follows...

And then the credits roll.

Eventually Idun gets bored of watching Japanese names scroll by.

And we get something else we didn't see last time...

Extended epilogues! Roy is rad, in case it was ever in any doubt.

Fae is also rad.

...but here's where things get iffy. For some reason, Wolt's epilogue is... just blank.

Fortunately, it's still available in the files, so:

Wolt's epilogue posted:

Wolt returned to Lycia with Roy to assist him in rebuilding their homeland. Although many hardships stood before them, Wolt unwaveringly supported Roy and led Lycia to prosperity.

The others all play out without issue.

I'm just going to assume the epilogue was scared of what Wolt would do to it if it displeased him.

What's this 1L thing? I don't remember getting you killed...

That's almost as many kills as Wolt. Fir is the murder-est shrub ever.

And Bartre is as loud and embarrassing as ever.

Thus she proceeded to disappoint even more people, yet somehow get away with it too.

I told you I'd use the poo poo out of Marcus! Did you think I was loving kidding?!

Then there's just a couple of screens we've already seen...

...and the rank screen. I still think it's pretty decent for a first run.

And then these old things again.

I'll just show them off because they might not be exactly what you remember.

So anyway.

I should probably think about what we've learned.

I for one think archers with actual stats are pretty cool.

I mean, a paladin with the same stats and a thrown spear would probably be even better, but still. Not entirely useless.

(For that matter, a Jeigan with actual stats is pretty cool, too.)

Also, romhacking is fun.

...When it works. Not so much when it breaks things and makes you want to kill someone.

Don't kill people because of romhacking. No matter what the voice in your head might tell you.

Why are there so many of these things? I'm running out of things to say!

...And this is after killing the useless prepromotes!

Yeah okay, I think I'm done now.

If I never have to read the words "demon dragon" ever again it will be too soon.

By the way "Milady" is the worst name in the history of anything, ever.

That was Fire Emblem: Binding Blade! Sort of. But mostly Fire Emblem: Binding Blade.

Speaking of which, if anyone for some reason wants to play my bastardized FE6, apply

this patch

after the translation. (The new one. I don't know what will blow up if you try to use it with the old one.) It contains... most of the stuff from the thread. Notable things it's lacking:

• Flying Warriorcopter because it hosed the handaxe animation
  • Super Jeigan because I was too lazy to do non-sword animations so they're broken and glitchy
  • Zanger's son Wolt and Roy's Bizarre Adventure because they are incomplete and non-functional for normal use

Known bugs:

• Wendy thinks she's a general now. You can use a code to turn her back into a knight if you actually want to use her
  • Wolt's extended epilogue might not play???

Don't blame me if it eats your computer and/or soul.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 14, 2015

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
This LP was a thing of beauty, and is easily my fav Fire Emblem LP. Never change Vilkacis!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Fantastic LP. I really liked the ending slides if just to fondly remember sprite edits gone by.

...Wow, Idun went down like a chump though. Bearded Roy is too powerful for any final boss.

Glad to have read this, and it kinda makes me want to go back to FE6 and try it again for myself. Never finished it, but it looks like a solid game.

Also, Bors. :allears:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

This was a good LP.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Every time I thought you had created the ultimate gif, I was soon proven mistaken as you topped yourself once more.

A Good Thread

Cyan Dag
Oct 21, 2010
:allears: I am so happy to see the credits again, because every time I see Geese I start cracking up.

This is the only version of FE6 that I have experienced, and it is going to stay the only version! It's too beautiful.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Yeah. Somehow, and I don't know how, you've actually managed to, *gasp*, BREATH SOME LIFE INTO THIS GAME! And that's not something I would've ever thought was possible :allears:.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
That Wolt cut away was incredible. Well done.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I guess Wolt has now definitively proven that anybody can be good with Hector's growths.

The edits made in this LP were really impressive and made the game a lot more fun to watch than an ordinary blind run would have been, that's for sure.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

An excellent LP, as someone said to me, it's not really a let's play in an exploritive sense but it was a lot of fun to see what you would do next.

Now, that final chapter was really lame duck, easily killable boss, bland terrain, even if you consider it a part of the previous chapter, the previous chapter wasn't that interesting.

This, I hope, will alleviate those issues.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 14, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Onmi posted:

An excellent LP, as someone said to me, it's not really a let's play in an exploritive sense but it was a lot of fun to see what you would do next.

Now, that final chapter was really lame duck, easily killable boss, bland terrain, even if you consider it apart of the previous chapter, the previous chapter wasn't that interesting.

As long as that's the largest map by like a factor of 2

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Onmi posted:

Now, that final chapter was really lame duck, easily killable boss, bland terrain, even if you consider it apart of the previous chapter, the previous chapter wasn't that interesting.

I get the random other heroes but is Athos even dead? What the hell is he doing there?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

GeneX posted:

I get the random other heroes but is Athos even dead? What the hell is he doing there?

Yes he's dead.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Onmi posted:

Hmm...the map design looks pretty interesting, but, I don't like the way it uses the exact same environments we've seen before. Wouldn't it be better for it to take place in some weird bizzaro world, in some kind of void like what Idun was describing? Or maybe have it be like how it was in Kingdom Hearts 1, where the environments started off mundane, but gradually get more ominous and insane as you get further along? Seems like it would fit the motif here better, since it seems to be a world of illusions anyway, and the title of the Chapter is "Beyond the Darkness".

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

vilkacis posted:

"I am Sanger's son, Wolt..."

"The shaft that penetrates evil!"

Talk about weird coincidences. I use Sanger as an example in this thread, and then two days later this happens.

Anyway, this has been an awesome thread. Thanks for this!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fionordequester posted:

Hmm...the map design looks pretty interesting, but, I don't like the way it uses the exact same environments we've seen before. Wouldn't it be better for it to take place in some weird bizzaro world, in some kind of void like what Idun was describing? Or maybe have it be like how it was in Kingdom Hearts 1, where the environments started off mundane, but gradually get more ominous and insane as you get further along? Seems like it would fit the motif here better, since it seems to be a world of illusions anyway, and the title of the Chapter is "Beyond the Darkness".

We can't create custom tilesets yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this was pretty unfunny but you got like 20x farther into the game than i did in my aborted thread so grats

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GeneX posted:

Athos dies at the end of FE7

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Great job, vilkacis. I wasn't going to follow this thread since, well, another FE6 LP. But then I decided to give it a try for the changes...it was well worth it. Amazing job, definitely entertaining. Bearded Roy will join the club of cool Roys for eternity, alongside Drakengard Roy and SSB4 Roy, leaving such terrible things as the normal Roy behind. And you managed to make an Archer good, that's insane. And the Super Jeigan is the best thing.

Now you need to learn how to hack Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (3DS optional) to add bearded Roy there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

this was pretty unfunny but you got like 20x farther into the game than i did in my aborted thread so grats

Have you considered that you might just have a broken sense of humor?

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Grats on finishing the lp. You did a great job breathing some fun into this game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Thus she proceeded to disappoint even more people, yet somehow get away with it too.

Look at that win count. She's killed more people than Wolt.

She's able to get away with disappointing people because they're afraid of what she'll do if they call her out on it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

Athos dies at the end of FE7

huh, I didn't remember that

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Look at that win count. She's killed more people than Wolt.

She's able to get away with disappointing people because they're afraid of what she'll do if they call her out on it.

She will kill them... and be Cheerful about it the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

....Sanger Son-Wolt. :doh: I just now got that and you're a right bastard, vilkacis.

Kudos on getting through this utter slog of a game even with romhacking and meme power, though, it's probably just as painful in its own ways as FE5.

• Locked thread