Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

KataraniSword posted:

....Sanger Son-Wolt. :doh: I just now got that and you're a right bastard, vilkacis.

Kudos on getting through this utter slog of a game even with romhacking and meme power, though, it's probably just as painful in its own ways as FE5.

Not really? I mean it's pretty short, not that hard. There are some sloggy maps (C8 definitly) but then again, 5 isn't a slog to me at all, it's one of my favourite games with FE9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

FE6 is kind of unpolished. But once you get past Ch14, it's not too bad anymore.

Also props to finishing this Vilk. I've been watching this for a while. Been enjoying the ride even if I'm not big on Mecha or Jojo's. Wolt having a missing epilogue text is hilarious.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Great job on this LP. I enjoyed it very much and it was fun! Good to see archers doing well.

And Pegasus Knights doing well. I love Pegasus Knights.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's been a fun thread, and I'm glad (most of) you enjoyed it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The edits made in this LP were really impressive and made the game a lot more fun to watch than an ordinary blind run would have been, that's for sure.

I'm pretty sure it made it more fun to play, too. It might not be the purest of FE6 experiences, though...

:stare:

So basically save the status staves and buy all the ranged tomes for this fight, is what you're saying?

Endorph posted:

this was pretty unfunny but you got like 20x farther into the game than i did in my aborted thread so grats

I'm sorry but not every thread can be endless emptyquotings of "lol" and anime boob chat but at least you'll always have the general FE thread for that.

KataraniSword posted:

you're a right bastard, vilkacis

Yes. Thank you for noticing. :smuggo:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

vilkacis posted:

So basically save the status staves and buy all the ranged tomes for this fight, is what you're saying?

No, though that will certainly make things easier. You're given enough units that rotating your team will make the map a hell of a lot easier. The Legends aren't that hard since they lack thrones for defensive boosts even if they are weidling the 'True' Divine Weapons. But it does go back to the final boss chat. To me, the final boss is the most challenging map in an SRPG, where the things you've faced previously (Terrain, Ballistae, Status staves, enemies of varying types, 'Hero' leaders) has congregated as a final exam. With that one curve ball thrown in that every teacher does to be a dick (Idoun).

If I could have (And it wouldn't have been absolutely unfun to play) I would have developed a map that deployed all of your units. I wish I could bring an SRW Style Twin/Squad system in to balance the large amount of units. But oh well, there's an extent to the power of hacking. And as FP posted

Here, have this stick figure that will be Guinevere's promoted basic attack

and Iris's lineart

shh, it's Nino.

Once again, congratulations on a well done thread.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

vilkacis posted:

I'm sorry but not every thread can be endless emptyquotings of "lol" and anime boob chat but at least you'll always have the general FE thread for that.

:golfclap:

Thank you for this, and congratulations on one of the best FE threads in a long time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vilkacis posted:

anime boobs, are extremely good

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Sanger's son Wolt.

You absolute bastard.

This was a glorious and wonderful ride and I applaud you for every step of it. :golfclap:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

This was good poo poo, thanks

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
:golfclap: Excellent work vilkacis, this LP was hilarious from start to finish.:getin:

quote:

Now I understand why Idun is considered non-threatening. She looks pretty neat, though!
Yep, the Sword of Seals can two-shot her even in the base game if Roy is slightly competent. She actually has 3 separate attacks, which Artix showed off in his LP, but good luck ever seeing them though.

vilkacis posted:

Well yeah, fighting long range bullshit with long range bullshit is one of the best parts of FE6. Even Melth brought out the long range death in his ranked LP.

Oh, and of course I have to mention the real reason the temple collapsed:

This one you can get with no hacking required, just have one of your thieves get berserked so they can steal a Flame Stone for Fae.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 13, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

vilkacis posted:

IU will do my best to restore Idun's heart and soul.

I will admit, this one took a bit of looking to find. Well done.

But seriously, good job making an interesting LP of a fairly boring game. :)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So Misc FE6 hacking info, did you know the maximum mapsize in the game is actually a massive 53x80? well it is, no map in the game is actually this large, but theoretically you could make an absolutely massive FE4 style game in FE6. In fact originally my mind set for the final map was to push the game to its absolute limits and make a map with the largest map size/all units deployed.

This was a stupid idea. I mean ignore the ridiculousness of MAKING a map that size,
1. The game has a maximum enemy deployment cap of 50. So the majority of the map is going to look bloody empty while you slog your units through it.
2. The rest of the game has featured no map that size, while it's definitely a good response to "Everyone just dumped all their money into the boots at the last secret store" that's still horribly un-fun.
3. Balancing 50 deployed enemies against the entire player army? Many of whom are probably underleveled because who expected the final map to be that? Good luck, not to mention, a pain in the rear end to move around so many units, the player is likely to revolt and stick to moving around the A-Team they've brought through the entire game to that point.
4. On top of all these problems? What's the benefit? Technical achievement? Great I'll do a one chapter hack where you play as the demon lord deploying your army of mooks against the heroes who have come to slay you, a horde-mode FE game. This is not the way you capstone a 37+ chapter hack. Not unless you want everyone to go "Yeah no" and just put the game down.

In short, You can, but why the hell would you? The rest of the engine does not support making maps of that size (Enemy unit cap, can't section off areas with invisible walls like FE4 does) and frankly unless you build the game around that concept (upping move and the like) it just turns it into Cavalier/Flyer Emblem boogaloo.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 14, 2015

sergeantz
Apr 27, 2015
This was interesting and very funny. Thank you for making it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Thanks for the LP. I enjoyed following the madness. :)

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
It was a fun journey, following the full growth of Roy, boy-man to Roy, man-god. Also, Wolt... just Wolt :swoon:

Thanks vilkacis!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Onmi posted:

In short, You can, but why the hell would you? The rest of the engine does not support making maps of that size (Enemy unit cap, can't section off areas with invisible walls like FE4 does) and frankly unless you build the game around that concept (upping move and the like) it just turns it into Cavalier/Flyer Emblem boogaloo.
Couldn't you spoof walling off sections by using doors with the ceilings that only open when the door does? I mean, it doesn't do anything for any of the other issues you raised, but still.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

theshim posted:

Couldn't you spoof walling off sections by using doors with the ceilings that only open when the door does? I mean, it doesn't do anything for any of the other issues you raised, but still.

Warp staff. And it would have to be an indoor map.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

vilkacis posted:

Now I understand why Idun is considered non-threatening. She looks pretty neat, though!

Even more so when you consider that manaketes couldn't attack at a distance in that game and she doesn't move.

Anyway, this was a fun LP. Thanks for doing it. :)

Edit: VVV Oh, for some reason I thought she was stationary.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 14, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

yokaiy posted:

Even more so when you consider that manaketes couldn't attack at a distance in that game and she doesn't move.

Anyway, this was a fun LP. Thanks for doing it. :)

She does actually move.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.
Aw, it's all over. Oh well, thanks for the fun LP vilkacis, and have a doodle of Fae and Idun holding hands.

I don't my scanner readily available at the moment, so sorry if the image quality is a little bad from my phone taking the picture.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Onmi posted:

To me, the final boss is the most challenging map in an SRPG, where the things you've faced previously (Terrain, Ballistae, Status staves, enemies of varying types, 'Hero' leaders) has congregated as a final exam. With that one curve ball thrown in that every teacher does to be a dick (Idoun).

Well I guess I can't exactly argue with that :v:

quote:

Or that.

theshim posted:

You absolute bastard.

Oh, you flatterer :blush:

fade5 posted:

Oh, and of course I have to mention the real reason the temple collapsed:

Wow. It's kind of impressive that my inept hacking resulted in less hilarious glitches than the unmodified game...

Xander77 posted:

I will admit, this one took a bit of looking to find. Well done.

Goddammit.

Well, thanks for all the proofreading, now it's going to be a lot less embarrassing when this thing gets archived.

yokaiy posted:

Edit: VVV Oh, for some reason I thought she was stationary.

She might as well be. If you're letting her live long enough to move, something has gone horribly wrong. :v:

bluerocker posted:

Aw, it's all over. Oh well, thanks for the fun LP vilkacis, and have a doodle of Fae and Idun holding hands.

I don't my scanner readily available at the moment, so sorry if the image quality is a little bad from my phone taking the picture.

:3:

It's Fae-tastic, and also added to the second post.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

vilkacis posted:

:3:

It's Fae-tastic, and also added to the second post.

Thank you. :blush:

Out of curiosity, are you planning on LPing any other Fire Emblem games? Or anything else for that matter?

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

This is beautiful.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

I remember these. They were a huge fad on an FE forum ages ago. It's actually what made me play SRW for the first time.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Weren't some of your first acts of wizardry getting this SRW stuff working ingame? I would have no objections if the end of this thread turned into reposting all of those amazing gifs from the romhack thread. :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

bluerocker posted:

Out of curiosity, are you planning on LPing any other Fire Emblem games? Or anything else for that matter?

I'm not sure yet. It probably won't be another FE; I'm pretty sure all the available ones have been done at this point (and there aren't any other new retranslations hanging around).

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I remember these. They were a huge fad on an FE forum ages ago. It's actually what made me play SRW for the first time.

Getting more people to play SRW is worth a lot of spriting.

It's a pity so few of them survived, though. I only remember two other than that one.

There were a couple more in the romhack thread, though. Flarnith made these:

Plus my own stuff:

I think that's it.

AlphaKretin posted:

Weren't some of your first acts of wizardry getting this SRW stuff working ingame? I would have no objections if the end of this thread turned into reposting all of those amazing gifs from the romhack thread. :allears:

Kinda.

I also tried inserting the Gespy Kick as a spell but it didn't go well because spell insertion is The Worst Thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
This was basically the best way to experience FE6. Thanks a lot for doing this LP!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

vilkacis posted:

I'm not sure yet. It probably won't be another FE; I'm pretty sure all the available ones have been done at this point (and there aren't any other new retranslations hanging around).

Well, for what it's worth, FE4 is going to have a new one at some point, with a script that's more polished than the rough drafts BookofHolsety already has up on his site. Maybe his patch would be worth looking into once I get done with that LP?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Ehh... something that will maybe be done at some point in time is not a good candidate for "thing I'll do next". I might think about it when the patch is actually done, but I've a feeling 4 is one of those things I'm just as happy to watch someone else play.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm betting vilkacis won't be doing another LP for another 3-5 months.

Instead, he's gonna be putting his porpoise efforts into doing fan-art sprites for other LPs!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I would be upset that you saw through my clever plan but at least you managed not to misgender me in the process so I guess you're forgiven. :downs:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is, like, the most anecdotal evidence ever, but Re: J/Y chat, I just replayed Portal 2 and there's a Yahn in the credits.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

vilkacis posted:

I would be upset that you saw through my clever plan but at least you managed not to misgender me in the process so I guess you're forgiven. :downs:

:yayclod:

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
... I still don't get the joke with Sanger and Wolt :eng99:. But otherwise a rather enjoyable thread.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kallev posted:

... I still don't get the joke with Sanger and Wolt :eng99:. But otherwise a rather enjoyable thread.

Sanger Zonvolt (Son-Wolt) is a Super Robot Wars character, known as the sword that cleaves evil (Or the shaft (of an arrow) that uhhh I've forgotten the verb's evil)

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Endorph posted:

this was pretty unfunny but you got like 20x farther into the game than i did in my aborted thread so grats

loving quitters don't get opinions.

Also great LP, I got quite a laugh out of it. :)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Did someone order a large ham?!

...Original Generation has not held up as well as the later GBA titles. But yeah, he's a really loud guy who likes to swing around swords bigger than he is. Great fun if you like silly over the top stuff.

And of course I picked the most awkward way to translate it into archery because archery is silly.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Roy still had visible parts that weren't beard at the end. Voting thread 0.

Seriously, though, this was goddamned amazing.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Endorph posted:

this thread, is extremely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, sorry to bump this but I wanted to make sure it doesn't get lost to the forum archives.

You're gonna be sending this off to the LP Archive right?

• Locked thread