Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gaz-L posted:

Power Girl is probably the one case besides Emma Frost where I'd argue the costume is kind of integral now, because it's informed so much of how the characterisation has been developed. Like, it wouldn't make sense if Emma Frost started wearing smocks and never left a single button undone, but you wrote her personality as exactly as it's always been, and the same with PG. You can't have her established character but ditch one key way she'd express herself and have it be totally contrary to that personality.

Plus, it's kinda the same problem Black Canary has. I'm not against changing the outfit for Canary in principle, but in practice, all the alternate ones SUCK. And yes, nerds, that includes the stupid wetsuit one from Dixon's BoP. It made her look like she was doing scuba lessons and didn't have time to change, not like she meant to wear it for fighting. Just slapping the S on the existing PG outfit is the best of a bad lot, but it still looks pretty bad because it's so clearly not meant to be part of the design.

I find the practicality argument loses steam when the alternative is loving fishnets. Also who cares if it was meant to be, it still looks a lot better than the lovely original design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

I guess my main problem with it is the wrap around button thing. I'm a hip kid who doesn't like stuffy old men uniforms.

You know usually I think people around here give you a lot of undeserved poo poo, but dissing my boy Captain Marvel's suit is just plain wrong.

(although i do like modern shazam's Kirby-dot thunderbolt)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I find the practicality argument loses steam when the alternative is loving fishnets. Also who cares if it was meant to be, it still looks a lot better than the lovely original design.

Say what you want about fishnets but nobody has ever gotten overheated from wearing them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

Oh, does he not even have his cool cape that goes to one side anymore? That's some wack bullshit.

Yep, I don't mind the new Shazam costume so much (for as much as Captain Marvel didn't need a costume update), but the loss of the half-cape is a crime.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm not talking about practical, I'm talking about whether it aesthetically looks like something you put on to fight ninjas/bikers/demons, or something for a completely different purpose. She looked like Aqua Assault Canary (w/ firing harpoon gun action!)

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Rhyno posted:

No but they covered the boob window with a Superman S so it's a fair trade.
Bleah.

So has she changed her code name to something starting with S? Or is she still called Power Girl?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Picklepuss posted:

Bleah.

So has she changed her code name to something starting with S? Or is she still called Power Girl?

She's Superwoman I guess. There's a new PG over in Teen Titans.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

She's Superwoman I guess. There's a new PG over in Teen Titans.

Oh yeah I meant to check that out... It's still being written by Lobdell though, isn't it?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

Oh yeah I meant to check that out... It's still being written by Lobdell though, isn't it?

Lobdell never wrote the new Power Girl, that was Pfeifer (although Lobdell was brought to help plotting on two issues). TT is currently written by Pak.

Picklepuss posted:

Bleah.

She's still called Power Girl on E2:Society.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Lobdell never wrote the new Power Girl, that was Pfeifer (although Lobdell was brought to help plotting on two issues). TT is currently written by Pak.

Say what? Is it possible that a Teen Titans book is good?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

Say what? Is it possible that a Teen Titans book is good?

It's still a Teen Titans book so probably not.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

She's still called Power Girl on E2:Society.
I hope this starts a trend of super-heroes and heroines wearing a big letter on their costumes that don't match their code names. Maybe Bluebird can start wearing a Robin-style R on her costume.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I want to read about a team of big goddamn heroes saving the world/galaxy/universe. Does DC have anything like that nowadays, or are back issues of JLA my best bet?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Volcott posted:

I want to read about a team of big goddamn heroes saving the world/galaxy/universe. Does DC have anything like that nowadays, or are back issues of JLA my best bet?

Right now, in Geoff Johns' Justice League run, Darkseid is dead, and in the wake of that, the Justice League have become gods, and they're fighting the Anti-Monitor, with reality's continued existence at stake. Lex Luthor leads an entire army of parademons. It's pretty big.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Volcott posted:

It's the B-leaue, so I dunno if it qualifies as 'big goddamn heroes' but try out Justice League United since they spend most of the time doing space missions.
Justice League is good right now for The Darkseid War, which features the League transformed into crazy gods and Darksied and the Anti-Monitor punching eachother for issues.

e: Earth 2 was about the heroes trying to save humanity while their world blows up. That's pretty large.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 22, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And JL 3001 had Batgirl, Wonder Woman and the Flash vs an army of knockoff Amazos last issue.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Volcott posted:

If you want back issues, try Warren Ellis' Authority #1-12. Some people preferred Mark Millar's run that followed, but I couldn't stand it. And of course, you have Grant Morrison's JLA and big events like Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Rebirth teaser

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/712461917411934208

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I clicked on the link expecting the gif of the hotdog meat coming out of the tube.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Not that matters much considering their current track record with Rebirth, but BC is reporting Greg Rucka is the new WW writer, replacing a previously appointed Marguerite Bennet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This is a herald of even worse things to come for Harley. :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Not that matters much considering their current track record with Rebirth, but BC is reporting Greg Rucka is the new WW writer, replacing a previously appointed Marguerite Bennet.

gently caress yeah. His Wonder Women run was awesome, and got hosed over in the end due to crossovers and reboots

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How can news be good and bad at the same time?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

To be fair, I'd say BC have done pretty well breaking Rebirth.
We'll see if King gets Batman and all that, but they got the double shipping thing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Really hope that's true. He's one of the best writers out there

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Has DC announced anything like marvel unlimited? I love the model of "streaming music" but for comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No.

As I understand it, a significant portion of DC's back catalog has royalty requirements much higher than is usually normal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

How can news be good and bad at the same time?

What sort of black magic are DC practising that they can entice Rucka back in the first place? I mean, either way, it sounds like WW is getting an awesome writer. Though I feel like if there's one 'major' book that should have a female creative team, it's Wonder Woman.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Rucka and Didio more or less mended the burned bridges when Didio offered him the chance to do Convergence: Question. After that Rucka said he wouldn't mind doing another DC book if he had the time for it and if requested. However I can't imagine it being Wonder Woman, because a double weekly shipping book is no easy feat to handle and Rucka is already writing a couple Image comic titles.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe he and Bennet can share writing duties. That would be win/win.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Greg Rucka Wonder Woman is a book I will read. I'm going to have be very picky about DC books though since most stuff is double shipping.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Though I feel like if there's one 'major' book that should have a female creative team, it's Wonder Woman.

Careful with that monkey's paw or you get more Meredith Finch

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
The Vertigo thread is on page 3 or some poo poo, so I ain't posting it there.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/23/vertigo-comics-to-get-its-own-rebirth-at-eccc-for-july/

quote:

I am told that DC’s Vertigo is undergoing a similar rebranding exercise as DC’s Rebirth from July, but to expect announcements at Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle, from April 7th to the 10th, rather than at this weekend’s LA-based Wondercon.

The recent attempt to look like more like Image Comics with an expansion of creator-participant titles delivered no breakout comics and saw a market that seem disinclined to support them, however good they were. And some were very good indeed.

I am told that Vertigo is going to rebrand itself, with an emphasis on a more “classic” Vertigo tone with work-for-hire mature reader takes on lower profile DC Comics superhero properties. Like they used to do.

And the Becky Cloonan/Gerard Way Doom Patrol book will be a flagship title for the imprint, leading up until the Sandman Spin Off books, based on ideas by Neil Gaiman, are launched before Christmas.

Assuming there's any truth to this, this is insanely good news. As long as Vertigo's creator owned contracts are as garbo as they currently are, they will never ever be a viable alternative to Image. Moving back to focusing on alternative takes on fifth-tier DC properties is by far the best thing they could be doing right now.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/712741037807116290

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Please yes. So want this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only DC thing that Hickman has really said he would love to write in the past is Legion. I'm not sure even Hickman could get me to give a gently caress about them, but I'd be willing to try.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That would be excellent, I hope he's not goofing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It would be my first dc comic since the darwyn cooke watchmen one :toot:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Maybe they want him as an artist, not a writer.

Like they could want a very fancy org chart to really get the office in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

Like they could want a very fancy org chart to really get the office in order.

I need one of those for my life.

• Locked thread