Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Looks like they are giving Green Arrow a dog.

The dog will love Strombolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow, most of those are absurdly lazy. "Here is Robin! Also Hal Jordan doing a basically unrelated thing nearby."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genetic Toaster posted:

Haven't heard anyone talking about Secret Six at all, which is understandable because it's been delayed for ages, isn't a relaunch, and is Gail Simone as gently caress, but this issue was actually pretty interesting.

Especially because one of the Six turned out to actually be Ralph Dibny. And also because New DCU Sue is still dead. Can't wait for Simone to explain that one. :v:

This is seriously the worst of all possible outcomes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The whole point of Tim and Jason origins was that being a vigilante wasn't a game,

It really really wasn't. Especially Tim who got poo poo on less for being a vigilante and more because the universe hates him prior to Identity Crisis which was a Very Bad Book anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Semper Fudge posted:

That's like the most evil loving robot ever devised.

Have you seen some of the stuff actual real-world police have? If they had floating robot drones they'd probably not be too far off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm really not sure why you think the government doesn't do shady or illegal things but, uh, they do.

dragon_pamcake posted:

I'm probably too late, but he's in Convergence Booster Gold #2. Don't buy #2.

It ends after pre-52 Booster gets dumped into the timestream to save his life and turns into loving Waverider.

How does that even work? Nu 52 Booster is explicitly classic Booster. His series ended with him popping into the new 52 and getting time travel amnesia.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 3, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All I can think is that is a way way way worse homage to the Avengers game than Hawkeye did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyphoderus posted:

worthy of praise != worthy of being communicated in a panel where you're describing and promoting your comic to prospective readers

It isn't even that though.

It literally just means "I had a scene where two women characters talked about something besides a man." If you had to try your best to do that then what the gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mobius Chair, charge to 100%.

Wait, why are you calling the Justice League? No, Clark, I don't need help, this drat thing just doesn't listen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I started reading comics seriously after Sinestro Corps War so no, I never read those stories and the Waller appearances I read in the interim of SCW and N52 never gave me any motivation to track any of her previous appearances.

Then you kind of need to stop acting like you're talking about the character instead of "lovely versions of the character written by bad writers." I would figure as a Jason Todd fan you would be aware of this.

Picklepuss posted:

I never knew much about the character but the negative reaction to her slimming down always made me wonder if that cliche was what defined her, which put me off. I'm glad to learn there's more to her than that.

The negative reaction to her slimming down is because it takes a cool and distinctive character visual which fits the character excellently well (she isn't 'fat', she is huge in the same way that Kingpin is huge.Some of that is weight but a lot of it is just that she is built like a literal wall) and removes that in favor of making her sexy because comic book artists can't seem to draw any character that isn't a 20-something supermodel or a grizzled older man.

It helped a lot that yes, she was a portrayal of a woman who wasn't a supermodel and still was respected, feared and presented as capable.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 30, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm not talking about the character though, I talking about why I don't like that version.

You didn't read that version. That's the point I'm making. You know how you talk about how a writer you dislike does a poor job with Jason and misunderstands the character?

Now imagine if you were going "Well, Jason is a lovely character. I mean I didn't read the literal defining run of the character but I read this bad writer's take so I know they suck."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So 52 is a poor representation of Waller?

Yes. There are things to praise about 52 but it absolutely runs into the problem of doing a poor job with characters and Amanda Waller is a character it is very easy to do a poor job with because she thrives on nuance. That is part of why the Suicide Squad run was so good because characters didn't fall into easy niches (aside from like Captain Boomerang whose entire role was being an rear end in a top hat) and it humanizes characters and shows they are not one-note assholes.

There are a lot of bad Amanda Waller stories because writers love to throw her into the role of Government Hardass because she is recognizable. However if a writer actually takes the time to do good with her she is a well-written character who fills an important niche.

I mean I'd say read Suicide Squad not just because of Waller but because it is very good. You may not even like Waller after reading it but the book itself is top notch.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 30, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Hey man, Blackwater sucks and I loving hate it, but just because the Soviet Union sucked too doesn't mean all communists are inherently evil.

There isn't really such thing as a non-terrible PMC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I can't even think of any non-terrible normal militaries but I don't see you shouting down any and all stories where soldiers work directly for a government.

Besides, the kind of mercenary I'm talking about is a much smaller outfit. Angel Investigations is a good example of the same thing, they loving rock, or the kind of stuff your average RPG heroes get up to. Don't be in such a rush to demonize and generalize concepts just because Jason Todd is doing it. "Hero-ing as a job" doesn't translate to "Blackwater". It's like equalising Superman and some Garth Ennis parody.

There isn't even an iota of comparison between PMCs and regular militaries. Your average RPG hero is actually an incredibly lovely person who the plot diverts around (unless they don't and actually point out how lovely they are.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

"Killing" and "not killing" is details.

No, it really isn't. It's absolutely not. Superheroes already tread the line real close to being gross power fantasies about how people wish they had power so they could hurt those they've deemed 'bad'. The willingness to focus on rehabilitation and mercy is a big part of why they don't cross that line. (And even then it's pretty iffy depending on the story.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well I am glad Jason not on board. (The hell is Roy taking about legally.)

Also I just learned they killed off Nu Wally West. I did not like the kid but that seems like a crappy thing to do.

He died in the future I think so he isn't really dead but also isn't really Kid Flash?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Despite showing him dead like 5 different times in the book, those were all alternate future versions where Wally got fridged for like 3 different versions of Barry to be sad about. The present day one is still alive but he hasn't been seen since last year so I don't blame you for thinking he was dead. The only thing he did after the future one died was go get Barry some coffee before disappearing for this entire year. Death would probably be the best outcome for the character at this point, though.

The problem is kind of this. They can't really make him Kid Flash with Bart still around as Kid Flash. I thought them ditching Bar Torr in the future never to be heard from again was the first stepping stone in forgetting New 52 Teen Titans and moving on to Wally becoming Kid Flash but, nope, they brought Bart back, so now we're still at this same impasse.

hooray, bar torr, yaaaay

I literally have no idea who Bar Torr is. This is probably for the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aquaman is betetr when not trying hard to be "cool" or "hardcore". Talking to fish is actually a really cool power and so is living under the sea. Have you seen the oceans and the stuff that lives in it?

DC already had the best possible Aquaman and they just need to embrace that poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heroes don't get their hands dirty doing the right thing because they genuinely don't need to. Praising someone for doing that is silly because it's like praising a cop for shooting someone they didn't need to shoot just because that person was 'bad.'

It isn't a case of 'they shouldn't have to.' They don't need to. It is the definition of excessive force. Heroes are very rarely put in a position where they have to kill someone and even heroes who are anti-killing can and will use extreme force when they have no other choice, so "well, they won't get their hands dirty' is a weak excuse for 'they won't literally execute defeated enemies."

(And before people bring up the dumb Joker Escapes thing, that doesn't work because it assumes that people escaping from jail is the norm and there is nothing you can do about it, which only makes sense in comic book land and if you are accepting that then you're also accepting they won't stay dead either.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is the thing, antiheroes just offer the catharsis of seeing genuinely terrible people getting their comeuppance, something that it doesn't happen often in real life.

Yes it does. It happens all the time. The 'genuinely terrible people' who don't get their comeuppance aren't killers and rapists. They're incredibly wealthy people who effortlessly skirt the legal system. Rapists, murders and other 'terrible' people largely end up in prison or dead. The same goes for terrorists who largely have a life span measured in drone strikes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's what fiction is for, isn't it? It allows us to go places and do things that we can’t or wouldn’t in our own lives, without risk, without physical harm, and without causing harm to others.

It's still harmful to have the attitude of "I would kill this person if I could because they are bad." Even if you don't act on it it influences how you respond to things. That sort of mindset for example is a big proponent in the death penalty arguments. (And regardless of if you are for or against it, the point is that that 'fantasy' attitude doesn't just remain in fantasy.)

I mean I think very few people act on the "these people are bad and I have to kill them" mindset, and those that do are genuinely ill, but I do think even in fantasy the idea that there are bad people who deserve to be murdered by powerful people is genuinely uncomfortable.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 31, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Are you seriously arguing "violent comics/games/movies make us violent"?

No? That is not remotely what I said. Like at no point did I say "Red Hood is violent, ergo it makes you violent."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 31, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The death penalty is bad because it can take decades and often ends up killing innocent people. Shooting the Joker has like...no negatives, none, not a single thing wrong with that.

Here is what happened when Batman killed The Joker:

WickedHate posted:

It is! It is why I am heavily, heavily against the death penalty. Go down ye murderers go down. But when you're dealing with someone who is 100% clearly, unambigously guilty, and often in the process of their horrific deeds whenever you encounter them, I cannot fathom why people object.

I'll point out that a lot of horrifying criminals who committed terrible deeds literally were critical to saving the world. Like if you're going to the comic extreme of The Joker Is Irredeemable, you have to point to the opposite extreme of "but he may also be necessary to save the world from total destruction."

Plus there are supervillains who've become heroes or heroes who've become supervillains. Like Hal Jordan murdered more people than the Joker has.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 31, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Well, that's comics.

Right. So is the Joker escaping from prison. Arguing in favor of the Joker's death is already arguing about Comics.

Baron Bifford posted:

It's funny how often geeks fret over the "no kill" rule when most action heroes kill all the time and nobody complains. How many stormtroopers did Luke Skywalker callously carve his way through? Also, by the same logic every cop and soldier in the real world who has killed in line of duty would be Hell-bound.

... You're picking Luke Skywalker as the example here? The dude whose character arc literally ends with him showing mercy and redeeming Space Samurai Hitler rather than killing him?

Also there's a pretty big difference between "never kill anyone ever" (which not even Batman adheres too) and "don't be judge, jury and executioner." I don't think anyone has said that killing in defense of one's self or another is wrong.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 31, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Killing isn't, in and of itself, a problem. Fetishizing the act of killing bad guys is,t hough.

Honestly this kinda sums it up better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Judge, Jury, and Executioning should be fine when it's an experienced hero making a well informed choice about someone he knows beyond a shadow of a doubt to be guilty. It's not fetishizing that, it's correct.

Except a hero can't ever be sure of that. Like Batman once had a story where he literally found the Riddler killing babies and it still turned out that the Riddler wasn't actually the one at fault there, he was possessed by a demon.

It is absolutely fetishizing it because even in the realm of comics people have the ability to be wrong or misinformed or not have all the information. The fetishization there is that there is a Pure Evil Person who it is Morally Right to kill and who you can have zero doubt about being morally right in killing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not seeing the distinction here considering that is the exact point people making the argument that playing GTA will make you kill hookers use.

... No it isn't. It isn't remotely that. You can't even get that from the thing you quoted without cutting out most of the context and even then it doesn't say that. There is no point in anything I said where I imply that it makes you act that way.

Unless you're arguing for the viewpoint of "it's just fantasy! It is utterly meaningless in all way, shape and form" in which case I'll gladly disagree with you because even actual authors of fiction don't believe that. We live in a world where a Supreme Court Justice used television shows to justify torture. What fiction says is actually meaningful. It isn't a boogyman that makes you kill hookers in real life because you did in a video game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 31, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

For one thing, most of the time the monsters in Power Rangers and Super Sentai were not artificial life forms, be they demons, mutants, or aliens. but either way they were always sentient. Besides, that's just one of countless examples in kid's entertainment where the bad guys are expected to be killed, it's not an anomaly. The only reason heroes going out of their way not to kill villians exists at all originates from wanting to use the characters over and over. It's capitalistically disgusting.

Not really. I can't think of much kid's media at all where the protagonists kill human beings regularly and very rarely at all. Even shows that explicitly deal with the idea of killing humans, like Avatar, avoid having the protagonists be the one to do it.

Even when it comes to sentient creatures it's iffy and always framed as defense. Which is how most comic books handle it too. Comics don't avoid killing people for those reasons because they just keep bringing them back when they do. Every single comic villain of any remote note has died at least once.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 1, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is something bizarrely overly-complex about having two separate Supermen running around just to have your married cake and eat it too. :psyduck:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Semper Fudge posted:

Man, this isn't even half as far-fetched as the concept behind Superman Prime. DC's been rolling with this poo poo for years and years.

Eh. I think having two nearly identical Supermen in the same world is more complex than "there are multiple worlds."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's for sure but they're still pulling pretty high numbers for some reason. I've seen people liking his stuff on GL but I haven't heard anyone praise his Flash, so why? :psyduck:

Flash has a popular ongoing TV series and has always been one of DC's more recognizable characters. Brand strength has a lot more to do with sales than quality. (Which is why there are a billion batbooks.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hal Jordan is interesting when he is effectively a fuckup given unlimited power and dealing with it.

Hal Jordan is boring as poo poo when he is the GREATEST LANTERN!!! and every can't get off his dick both metaphorically and literally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's not really characterization because there is no way this would be passed along to other characters. It's just lazy writing to get around the fact that they want to publish a Jason Todd book but not put the effort into writing it.

It isn't the only time this has happened. It's pretty bog-standard for 'Punisher'-style heroes to basically get an exemption from people who otherwise wouldn't give them an exemption because otherwise they can't exist. The entire Batman Family will be right back to ignore it the second someone decides to do a story that isn't about Jason Todd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am so fuckin' tired of "other heroes get GL/YL/ect rings." It's like Black Bolt talking in that it was a big deal that has become increasingly dull and outdone.

"Kal-El of Earth..." from Injustice was still good though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What the hell made people hate it that much?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Take a look at the eight page prologue. It was a pretty drastic shift.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/dc-sneak-peek-aquaman-dc-comics-2015

e: A number of other books also had drastic shifts in the DCYou launch, but Batman and Superman might've had a bit more that was intriguing about theirs to balance out the traditionalist reaction.

That just looks like Grim n' Gritty Aquaman which isn't really anything new.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

Has anyone done an Aquaman arc that embraces the over-the-top Errol Flynn campiness like in Brave & the Bold?

No because for some inexplicable reason DC refuses to acknowledge that Good Natured Adventure Dad Aquaman is the best version of the character to exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Speaking of GL, a leaked page from this week GL

Please don't gently caress this one up Venditti :pray:

I gotta ask what the context is for this. Is that seriously Heroic Parallax?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

He has done it before, he is basically a glorified power boost now. Sucks because he was interesting before Johns got ahold of him.

Wow, seriously? I assumed it was Parallax from another dimension or some poo poo. That's much dumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squizzle posted:

Calling it now: long-term subplot coming, "Who has the key to Guy's chastity belt?".

"What, are you serious? This belt is to keep the ladies OUT. Nothin' can keep the Guy in, if you know what I mean."

• Locked thread