Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ex Machina read to me like Vaughan ran out of enthusiasm before he ran out of plot. Worth reading if you don't mind that it just sort of competently slides across the finish line after a very promising start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I thought they stopped caring about that, in favor of the "relax and smoke a weed, we're just making comics as best we can" model.

e: That's to TwoPair.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Undersells the grandeur of divinity, imo, when becoming the God of Knowledge just means having the Siri You Can Sit On.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CHAIR, PLEASE SPACE-BING "PROBLEM OF EVIL SOLUTION"

CHAIR, SAME THING BUT WITH SAFE SEARCH OFF

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno, I'm not trying to insult you here, but I don't know how to say this any more gently: You long ago crossed a line between clearly dislikes DT as a poster and kind of creepily fixated on saying how bad DT is, in all threads at all times. Like, I'm wondering how long until you roll into Mexico City in a panel van with "PEQUOD" vanity plates.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

That's every New Gods story I've ever read, to be honest.

Kirby and Simonson each did a decent job. Morrison has done but doesn't always do p. well. I've never read The Great Darkness Saga, but from its reputation, I'd believe you if you told me it does a solid by Darkseid.

Have Ostrander or DeMatteis ever handled the New Gods? They seem like they could have turned in some nice work with them. And I'd love to see New Gods work from any of the gang at Marvel who have lately been handling Thor, Loki, Angela, and the whole Asgardian crew.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lotus circle posted:

They're basically the teenage girl version of the Batman and Robin duo.

Which one is the robot police chief, and which one is the globetrotting superninja and/or Occupy Crime Alley movement?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Oh man, what a great match-up, just in terms of powers.

:ninja:: "I know what special abilities you have. I can see the enhancements. I can detect the increased electrical activity in your brain. I know what moves you’re preparing to make. I’ve fought our fight already, in my head, in a million different ways. I can hit you without you even seeing me. I'm what soldiers dream of growing into. I’m what children see when they first imagine what death is like. I’m the Midnighter."

:awesomelon:: *hits shuffle tracks button on super-abilities brain iPod*

:ninja:: "welp"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

TEAΓ║UOP.h'

A Good Post. :golfclap:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

New creative teams Aquaman, Suicide Squad and Teen Titans announced, so I guess Johns return to the title is going to be brief.

Happy to see Seeley on SS as I like his work on Grayson, though I would have loved to have seen what King would have done with the title. Also seeing Pak on TT means that they might actually have someone competent on the title now.

Oh wow. I would have bet money that one of the creative shuffles would put Lobdell on something, probably Teen Titans. He's (apparently) very friendly with Harras, and hasn't been out of work whenever Harras has been in a hiring position at a publisher. (When asked for a fresh, modern writer to handle Ultimate Spider-Man, Harras supposedly suggested Lobdell, which still cracks me up.)

Red Hood has been shedding an estimated 5-10% of it's readership/month, and barring a miracle, it probably ends around issue #12. If Lobdell doesn't get a new book before that, it'll be (one of?) the first time(s) that Harras hasn't actively employed him when able.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Red Hood still has better sales than Constantine, Gotham Academy, Sinestro, Midnighter, Martian Manhunter, Secret Six, JL3001, and Dr. Fate though.

Most of those are cancellation risks, too, but:
  • Constantine could move more trades than a typical series, which could save it.

• Gotham Academy should do well in trades, especially in non-DM bookstore sales. If DC has any marketing savvy at all, it could also be doing ridiculous sales in digital, a la Ms. Marvel or Batgirl. It's also a critical darling.

• I know nothing about the Sinestro comic and assume it is not long for this world.

• Again, don't know much about the Midnighter series, but it might get some slack because it's nice to publish superhero comics that aren't dominated by straight white guys.

• Martian Manhunter is probably getting cancelled, although critical appeal might buy it a short stay of execution.

• I know nothing about Secret Six.

• JL3001 just recently got some press, and might get a little time to see if that affects sales. Maybe it does OK in trade or digital? No idea. I expect it to get cancelled, too.

• Dr. Fate, like Gotham Academy, is a mildly artsy youth-appeal book, so the direct market single-issue sales aren't the only/main consideration. It also adds diversity to DC's superhero line, featuring an Arab-American lead.

Red Hood is a standard superhero action-adventure comic without critical acclaim, starring two white dudes. There's no reason to expect it does unusually well in digital or in trades, or that the trades will be perennial sellers (like you'd expedt Prez or Omega Men or maybe Gotham Academy to be). It has nothing going for it except single-issue sales and the Lobdell/Harras working relationship. The sales will be in DC's danger zone this or next month, most likely. Maybe it lasts an extra arc, depending on the magnitude of the We Are Robin bump, and how quickly it evaporates. (Spoilers: It will evaporate immediately, like every other event-bump on a peripheral book.)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lotus circle posted:

I could see RHA surviving on the sheer fact that it's considered a Batman book in the most technical sense of the word because it features Jason Todd. DC is clearly invested in Robin as a name brand right now and Jason is included within that. Hell he has one of the most memorable Robin moments, that being his own death.

Last I heard, it was edited outside of the Bat-office. If that group is trying to manage the Robin brand and feels Jason Todd is an important part of that, that actually worsens RHA's chances of survival. Even if the Bat-office isn't eager to call dibs, I don't think being peripherally a Batbook would save RHA. If they want to keep Jason Todd published monthly, it's trivial to shuffle him into the cast of a team book or to launch a new comic trying a different angle for him. Like, no one caring about Nightwing resulted in Grayson. Maybe no one except DT caring about RHA gets us Jason Todd & the Surfbats, a gritty crime serial featuring the former Red Hood unraveling a murderous web of tropical organized crime syndicates with a team of rocketboard-riding superteens.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Maybe someone wants to make a Jason & the Surfbats show. You don't know that they don't.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Kingdom Come is a superhero comic openly complaining about the state of superhero comics, and doing almost nothing else. But, it's literally as good as such a thing could ever be. Alex Ross sequentials were mindblowing back in the day, and Mark Waid knows how to write, I tell you what.

Worth reading, imo, as long as you don't absolutely hate Waid's/Ross's opinions on The Correct Form for superhero comics.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Calling it now: long-term subplot coming, "Who has the key to Guy's chastity belt?".

e: Does it just look weird on a phone-sized screen, or is John's head somehow positioned at three different angles simultaneously?

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 8, 2015

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

"What, are you serious? This belt is to keep the ladies OUT. Nothin' can keep the Guy in, if you know what I mean."

Hmm, some sort of space commie (cosmunist?) plot to sap and make impure his precious bodily fluids?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Why is Guy back to being a Green Lantern, anyway? The glut of human Green Lanterns seemed less overwhelming, with Alan Scott back on Earth-2, Guy as Red Lantern :moustache:, Kyle as either White Power Man or an Omega Man, and the latest GL technically being a volthoom'd Power Ring. That left, what, Hal loving Jordan, John, and Gun Lantern?

Why the heck would anyone want to reverse course on that progress?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

There is such a weird thing going on now because there is a 90's resurgence happening in comics thanks to nostalgia, but the heroes of the 90's are being put away to the wayside for their older counterparts. Hal Jordan in GL and Barry is the Flash even though the GL and Flash of the 90's were Wally and Kyle.

On the Marvel side, Remender used '90s things pretty liberally in the past half-decade. X-Force, Age of Apocalypse, Onslaught, Omega Red, no-touch Rogue with flying brick powers, Deathlok... I'm absolutely sure you could get a great e.g. Azrael revival out of him, if DC had editors with heads outside of their asses.

e: I don't mean that failing to hire him for an Azrael revival is a sign of head-assedness. I mean that I don't trust DC's current editorial crew to match good creators with good ideaas/direction, and make the results work in the market. Snyder Batman is one heck of an exception, I guess.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 11, 2015

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Not too bash the talent on that but their seem to be a lot of veterans writing stuff there.

I think that started happening under DiDio's EIC-ship. I think it's kind of nice that these old genre-definers still get to make some spending money with their most practiced professional skill. I can't recommend the comics themselves, but I hope they're finding an appreciative audience who would recommend them.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

If we're including everything that was in the initial plan, I can recommend the hell out of Swamp Thing with Kelly Jones.

I meant the previous/current? "'80s or olerd writer at modern DC" stuff—Wolfman, Nocenti, and so on. I'd recommend, sight unseen, anything drawn by Kelley Jones. I'd recommend Neville Chamberlain slash fiction where everyone is a centaur, if Jones drew it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Why, didn't you know Azrael has just been brought back on B&R:E?

:suicide:

:dogbutton:

Also, Red Robin is the dumbest goddamn name.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cael posted:

The top 30 books are 1 Image, 3 DC, and 26 Marvel. I almost can't even muster my usual schadenfreude because this is just sad.

DC has eight books in the top 50. Half of them have "Batman" in the title. Of the other four, half are still Batman comics (DK3, Detective Comics). One of the two remaining is a Batman family spinoff (Harley Quinn). The other is Justice League of America—a team book, whose regular cast includes Batman.

Yikes.

e: Howard the Duck and Vision each outsold any DC books not featuring Batman or a Batman family character.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 14, 2015

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

According to The Beat, DC shipped 77 new floppies in November. By my count, 32 of them—less than half of their line—ended up in the top 100. To contrast, Marvel shipped 72 new issues in the same month, and I count 54 of them in the top 100.

For the sake of a healthy industry, I hope that digital and bookstore sales help DC out.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Oh I agree but BSS is that weird place that loves Prez and hates Dan Slott.

If you're saying that Prez should write Spider-Man, :agreed:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Centuries ago, Kryptonians were a pantsless people who favored elaborately-styled ginger merkins. In these more modern days, that custom had evolved into bright crimson crotch-swatches incorporated into their everyday battle armor.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

That Amazo story is a good Amazo story. One of my Wee Nerd Child toe-dips into close reading was realizing that for (many) DC characters (much of the time), the slogan was the power. It didn't matter how terrible the science or plain real-world logic would have to be, that's just how it was: the Flash was the fastest man alive, because gently caress you. The DC universe openly functioned on narrative logic. Seeing Good Mark Millar clearly agree with my past child-self owned. Amazo has all the powers of the Justice League, because eat me fucko, so disbanding the League totally depowers him.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's also great that the Atom applied some science-thinkin' to go "Oh yeah, reality works like a children's story—how would a five-year-old try to beat Amazo?". He'd be a terrible physicist if he didn't at some point realize that science consisted mainly of nursery rhyme-grade logic puzzles, and punching.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Anything that doesn't involve Vera Black in almost every panel, is a waste of Doug Mahnke. :colbert:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I think that Marvel had spent the past decade redefining what it means to be successful as both a major comic book company, and a superhero IP farm. DC seems like it's still trying to work out what it wants to be in this newer context, and how to become whatever it decides. If only they realized that pandering completely and exclusively to my interests would bring them success beyond their grandest imaginings, they could be happy. :sadpeanut:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

You can't deduct too many points from a piece of superhero fiction for glossing over the implications of a bunch of anything playing vigilante.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Norns posted:

Pretty sure everyone reading is goon.

Same with Midnighter.

They should have a crossover imo.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

spacejung posted:

Cyborg can produce a ramjet from his rear end in a top hat just by tucking into a cannonball.

And it's not even because of his cybernetics.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What happened to JRJr? His work lacks some of its old pizzazz. I still like it, but I seem pretty well alone in that. Modern inking and coloring complementing his work poorly? Did his style change somehow? God drat.

Madkal posted:

The variants done by Alred and Cooke were awesome, and I get the idea of DC doing variant covers by famous artists. That said the JRJR stuff is just really really terrible and lazy.

Please do not sign my posts.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

graybook posted:

Yeah, the arms out look isn't so aerodynamic, I think. I'd expect the arms straight forward along the direction of flight.

JRJr works in Kirby Zone where practicality doesn't matter as long as it works visually.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Maybe this will lead to New 52 Hitman by, like, Marv Wolfman and Brett Booth. :unsmigghh:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I'm slightly worried they will try to revive Tommy and after the finale of Hitman I dread what that could result in.

Squizzle posted:

Maybe this will lead to New 52 Hitman by, like, Marv Wolfman and Brett Booth. :unsmigghh:

Dehumanize yourself and face to 52-shed, my friends. There is no escape from this editorial Armaghetto.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Argus had one of the best bad costumes of the '90s, and not in the "so bad it's rad" sense. It was too '90s not to be bad, but if you factor that in, it's got a lot of attractive design. Phil Hester's art helped. I might have an issue or two still kicking around a box, because Hester is bester.

Then you have characters like Geist ("What if Dr. Mid-Nite became extremely crap?") and Loose Cannon ("What if the Hulk were also the Terror Alert Level chart? "), who had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Maybe they're teasing Geoff Johns: Rebirth, a blockbuster story in which Old Geoff Johns Who Wrote Good (well, half-decent) Comics returns and vanquishes Current Geoff Johns, Known Hack.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

As long as we're doing armchair editorial, you're all stuck reading my Teen Titans ideas: Many, many years ago, I wanted a Teen Titans series that would have been superficially similar to the current We Are Robin. I wanted to have the Teen Titans concept metastasized through superpowers youth culture. Teenagers would be banding together with one another to do superhero business, not as little consistent team rosters, but as kind of social activity/activism. If you know someone who can teleport, maybe you organize a super-excursion to Lower Stumblefuck, West Dakota to because someone online said that Per Degaton is growing time-corn there. Maybe you then eat some of the time-corn, because teenagers do dumb, awesome things. Maybe you accidentally tear a rift in the timeline, and have to convince Waverider that you have no clue who cornholed the universe, but you're here to help fix the problem.

Riding herd on the whole movement would be Cyborg and Beast Boy. They'd be adults generally (though my universally) trusted by Titans kids, and would pretty openly make themselves available to help with advice and safe spaces and such. They'd also have weird conversations about growing older, where e.g. Beast Boy wonders if Buddy would be cool with BB asking to take the Animal Man name.

The major villains would've been ripped out of the most bizarre corners of DC: old Doom Patrol, Metamorpho, etc. villains, plus a bunch of new strangeness. The goal would be to create that sense of teenage-ness, where everything—even everyday social interaction—has this emotionally-oversaturated, operatic intensity; and the feeling of having enough "adult" awareness to understand a tremendous amount of life and culture, but still having enough gaps in your awareness that the world seems not to fit together properly.

I think that I hashed this all out in a long conversation with a friend, back in the day. It was probably part of the series of discussions in which we also determined that the Justice League HQ should be J'onn J'onzz plus ambitious shapeshifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

datingvolcanoes posted:

Yeah, but I'd buy 100 issues of that.

The prolonged adolescent moment where you feel "I know enough to see that this system is broken—and I know how to fix it" owns and more teen heroes should tap into it, especially groups of teen heroes.

• Locked thread