Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yes and no.

Palmiotti and Conner use Lobdell's origin and background (glossing over her time with the Outlaws) but despite Kori being well adapted and quite savy during her time with the boys now suddenly she doesn't understand human currency or the concepts of work and dying of old age. This creates a pretty jarring characterization that at least for me, was enough to kill any interest I've had on the character.

Uh, she clearly understands the concepts but well, a princess-turned-slave/lab rat is pretty much not going to have any practical experience of jobhunting. It's not 'what is 'work'?' so much as Kimmy Schmidt not knowing how to apply for a job. And she knew about death pretty clearly too, she just, unlike in Red Hood, displayed empathy (which is supposed to be Tamaran's hat) and was immediately expressing that for the sheriff's loss.

In case you can't tell, I liked Starfire #1 a LOT. (Especially the 'More English?' gag.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

In other Starfire news I think Palmiotti is teasing the return of Atlee in this interview.

Aren't he and Amanda basically ignoring Earth 2/New 52 stuff in Harley/PG anyway?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's absurd. Galactus is clearly a Snickers omnipotent cosmic being.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I snagged JL3k in that sale, and just caught up this afternoon (mostly inspired by how fun the 8 page preview of the relaunch is). It takes a few issues to find it's feet beyond 'JL but they're all assholes'... OK, that's unfair, but given how loud Superman and Wonder Woman are, it's very easy for it to seem like it's all of them, but DeMatteis and Giffen find the rhythm about 3 issues in, once they start honing in on the SECRET ORIGIN of the new league. Kind of a shame that 3001 is probably going to drop the current arc and just do a timeskip, considering there were like 3 dangling subplots in the last issue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Seems so, #15's the last one on Comixology, and 3001 #1 is out on Wednesday, I think.

And the preview strip made it look like the JLI stuff was being mostly dropped, though that might just be because it's only 8 pages, and you don't want to deal with that stuff there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, JLI crew: cool.

Hey, another Flash: not cool.

I like Teri being THE Flash, and having to deal with what that means, especially with a Hal Jordan that's very intent on her living up to Barry Allen. (Also kinda waiting for a reveal that because of the unique way she got revived/got her powers, that she's a for-real Flash, proper Speed Force power and all, though the creative team might be shying away from that in order to keep the power level of the team manageable.)

Edit: I hope we find out Gal Gardner's origin and her first words are "...again?"

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 14, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dexie posted:

Terra is confirmed returning as a supporting character in Starfire.

This is a good day.

Wait... wouldn't this make her the worldly one? Or.... oh... oh, that poor Key West sheriff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't JLA quarterly?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I had a girl looking for "Justice League Delta" today so that made me smile.

Every DC new release this week was excellent.

That has me really happy, because all 3 DC books on my list this week I was so worried would be disappointing (Prez, BC, HQ/PG)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kaleidoscope posted:

The recent digital only series was actually quite good but for some reason they decided to use a cult classic animated property to make a wholly unrelated Futures End follow-up. It boggles the mind. I would wager more people watched the show than read the book.

It reminds me of that con story a few months back with a kid asking about Batman Beyond (the digital book) because it was stopping and it was his favourite comic, and there was an awkward pause before the panel reassured him. The pause was "Oh poo poo, how do we tell the kid that we're getting rid of everything he likes", apparently.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

That's One-Face level missing the point. Gail Simone, go home, you're drunk.

Tell that to Paul Dini. He did the 'a lady gets the Scarface puppet and it acts the same' thing first.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Bizarro comic do things opposite of normal DC comics!

But... that means they do things the same! :psyduck:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hmm, Amy Chu's Sensation Comics story was good, but it did have a slight tinge of Wonder Woman only being in it because she had to be or DC wouldn't publish the story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

So...it's a Garth Ennis book?

He didn't mention heavy-handed sneering at superheroes or anything approaching optimism and hope, so we can't be sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Yes, that's the problem.

If he did that and was otherwise the same, it'd work out perfectly.

You really don't get why Superman deciding he, and he alone, has the right to be judge, jury and executioner is inherently opposed to a guy who was raised as an everyman in the mid-west and believes that everyone is equal?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dunbar posted:

I'm trying to come up with a title I want to read less than a Telos solo book and I can't do it.

A solo about Jimmy Olsen's bug-lady girlfriend from Countdown?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Who will Clark have tied up so he can narrate the story to them while seductively stripping?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uh, except plenty of writers (like, oh, say, Rucka, who had Diana as politician as much as superhero) have had the Amazons be technologically advanced and with their own culture and largely peaceful. Basically, Grant's saying "Well... that doesn't count because it wasn't ME!" Not exactly filling me with confidence, and all his procrastinating because "We HAVE to do stuff with Martson's BDSM themes, otherwise the book won't make SENSE!" had my expectations fairly low in the first place.

And yes, book looks pretty, but it was always gonna. DC ain't getting scrubs to draw these.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Where did Morrison imply that those other writers writing peaceful artistic Amazons "didn't count"? It doesn't seem like he's saying that he's the only one who ever had those ideas; he outright declares that he's taking those cues from Marston.

And no matter how many Ruckas and Perezes there have been trying to depict enlightened Amazons, you can't possibly deny that the grand overwhelming direction DC has had for them and for Wonder Woman herself, for years and years at this point, has been to depict them as Conan-esque warriors (and that's putting it politely). Azzarello. Finch. Snyder. It sounds to me like Morrison is lambasting that interpretation of the mythos, and yeah, good on him for saying it. No one else seems to be doing the bare minimum of noticing or caring, so at this point I'll take what I can get.

Why? Because in an action driven genre she gets into fights? I didn't see Grant write about Superman starting a grass-roots non-violent resistance movement or Batman drafting proposals for charitable programs designed to reduce recidivism among newly released convicts.

It may not sound it, but I'm happy you're getting the Wonder Woman you want to read about, but between this and Azzarello, it's really frustrating that DC scrapped the one I liked reading about for these two versions. It doesn't help that I'm not as enamoured with Morrison as most in BSS. I find his comics a lot like I figure talking to him would feel: Like it's way more interesting in his head than the excited intoxicated spiel he's rattling out, and failing to explain any of the bullshit words he made up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What the gently caress happened to all of the new books getting 12? I wasn't expecting Prez to last longer than that, to be fair, because god knows the direct market isn't built for a book about political satire that doesn't 'count' in the shared universe, but still.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Happier, but still mad that now I have to subscribe to the book again on Comixology. The true evil of this constant #1s trend.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't hate the Red Robin suit, even if it's obviously just a pallete swapped Falcon outfit. And the Raven one isn't awful, just misapplied. She looks like a villain whose gimmick is some kind of feral, carrion bird-lady. Not a spooky psychic witch.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

I like Raven's costume when it's drawn correctly. The mask is supposed to be overlapping feathers, but some artists draw it as a weird chitinous shell.

I don't know, I don't like it enough to do anything other than half-heartedly defend it, but I think it's at least way more interesting than previous costumes she's had.

I actually think her original outfit is the best of the New Titans that Perez designed himself. And more importantly, it's also the outfit from the cartoon. If a teen that grew up with that version saw the new Starfire book, they'd recognise her. If they saw Raven on a cover now, they'd have no clue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, before the book was out, all you really had was a couple of pieces of Babs Tarr art, specifically cover art, which does fit the book's new tone, but also without context does have a bit of a shallow party chick vibe. And I really like the current run, but I can also understand enjoying a particular writer or run or take on a character, even if I know it's not popular, and being bummed when it's changed.

I also think it's a little disingenuous to claim that there's no 'core' to some of these characters. I mean, you could do a Wonder Woman arc where she gets amnesia, loses her powers and ends up turning tricks by the port in Baltimore, but I don't think anyone would think it was a particularly good take, I doubt anyone would defend it. There's a clear basic premise and set of traits that make these characters. Yes, they're flexible and you can emphasise or de-emphasise certain traits and fill in certain blanks here and there, but if you need to so radically change a character because you don't want to tell a story with the one you were hired to write about? Write the story you want and do it yourself instead of forcing the square peg to fit the round hole. You'll be happier and the corporate overlords will too.

This is not, by the way, me admonishing stuff like Bat-Gordon. That's a different thing, that's taking a character and placing him in a new context, not fundamentally altering the basic structure of the character.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Squizzle posted:

Undersells the grandeur of divinity, imo, when becoming the God of Knowledge just means having the Siri You Can Sit On.

Geoff doesn't understand voice recognition software, so he thinks Siri and Cortana are magic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

As I understand, actual vigilante Batman disappeared, and then the GCPD coopted the name and imagery for their own super-cop program. Gordon, his gear and crew are still police. Batman himself is missing, and the police/BatGordon are hunting down vigilantes like Batgirl, which is the current arc in her title.

Which makes Jim look really short-sighted when he's trying to arrest his own daughter and casually backhanding Livewire without looking where she's gonna land. "Welp, we have a college girl in a pleather jacket and Doc Martins, or a chick made of lightning that gives Superman a hard time... which one is the bigger threat, hmmm?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

and the stuff with the girl is related to the first arc of N52 Batman and Robin.

e: I don't think it's been revealed how he got his big bat thing yet, but I don't mind. Goliath is cool with me :)

This just made me think about Damian teaming with Goliath from Disney's Gargoyles, which would be cooler.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Was it the Weirdworld Secret Wars thing that had a map that was trying really hard to be Kirby recently?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The pillow gag with the bear might be my favourite joke in a comic in 2015.

And it's also got a surprising bit of heart, with Beth's dad's deathbed speech and Prez himself showing up. (Did he give her a kevlar sweater?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
^^

That video is painful to watch with the 'witty' WMM commentary inter-titles.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I utterly loathed the older version but I really liked how she was handled on the N52.

I'd make a glib comment, but instead I'll risk engaging and simply ask... why? What was gained by the N52 revamp that balances what was lost in terms of diversity of appearance, age and background in the old one?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 30, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Look at it this way: Marvel has Nick Fury, whose primary reference point for superheroes is Captain America, so he may think they're naive or too good to do what needs to be done, but he knows they're good people. Waller's main reference point is Batman. A guy so suspicious of even space alien Midwestern Jesus that he keeps a lump of poison rock in a safe so he can kill him if need be.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I always liked the Alan Scott/Gotham thing because it implies Batman's issue with Hal/Guy/etc is basically "Pfft... you're not the real Green Lantern"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm honestly not sure why it's not. There's no implication that it takes place in any version of the DCU, which as we all know turns into a bad rip-off of Terminator in about 20 years, not this, and Vertigo would give more leeway with content.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's pretty jarring that Rucka had Batwoman adopting the bat be a big deal, she treats it as seriously as a military code, and Dick even confronts her basically to say "This poo poo means something, so do it right" and yet Jason literally does the one thing custom-designed to disgust Bruce, that's completely antithetical to the concept of Batman, and he's allowed to run around with the thing on his t-shirt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I have to say...Sensation Comics #48 is probably the best representation of Wonder Woman I've seen in...god. Years upon years. It's clearly very much influenced by Rucka, and yet I'd even go as far to say that there are (small) (tiny) (fractional) aspects of this "interpretation" that I find even superior to Rucka. And it's from...some guy Jason Badower I've never really heard of before? I so wish there was a way to get a full length series about this WW.

(It does make Superman look like a bit of a slack-jawed dorkus, but I can live with that)

I'm not a huge fan of his art in the issue, it has an uncanny quality that's a little offputting, like the characters smile just a little too broadly, but it's a very solid audition for a run as writer on the main book, yes. A hell of a lot better than the rest of this month's installments, where Barbara Kesel apparently thinks arrogance isn't a negative quality so long as a woman's the one being arrogant.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I seriously tried with that Superwoman story. I was like "Am I just being unconsciously sexist?", so I pictured the same words in a Superman story and nope... He'd come off like a massive dick too. Seriously, Diana? Your ego is so fragile you need to race teenagers that have no possible way to win?

And the kids don't even get the token "We helped beat the baddie!" moment to show they're not useless and everyone has some value. They're only there to be victims and make it harder for Wonder Woman to win. And what the gently caress was the point of Superwoman being pregnant... Jesus that story was awful. AND IT WAS A 3-PARTER for some loving reason!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nah, it's the usual bullshit. Didio, Johns and co went hard on 'these books won't care about continuity', which to a dumb, but large contingent of the market is a big neon sign saying "BOOKS THAT DON'T MATTER DO NOT BUY". Plus, y'know, the totally-not-sexists/racists/homophobes who won't buy a book featuring a girl president, or a brown dude wearing Dr Fate's helmet or a gay guy loving dudes then loving up dudes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Moore's not helping, but the recent Flash redesign is kind of a trainwreck in the first place.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I completely believe the 12 issue thing is a goner, but it baffles me why you'd even make that promise in the first place then. Surely it was meant to reassure readers and retailers that they can reasonably expect the series to be around for a year, so they can justify the investment. If such promises can be scrapped (and this wasn't guaranteeing them a 100 issue run. It was basically saying 'we won't cancel them until next year, but oh boy are some of them dead by then') so easily, why should any statement from DC editorial have any credibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

And wait, I'm sorry...Gordon tried to arrest Superman? Is he an idiot or what? I think I prefer the version of Gordon that isn't an idiot.

He tried to arrest a vigilante on a motorcycle wearing a knockoff Superman shirt. That happened to be the real thing, but vastly depowered.

And he absolutely did NOT try to arrest Batgirl. He was ordered to, and did everything he could to appear to obey those orders while letting her get away. (And he doesn't know it's Barbara, so it's not paternal concern, at least not in the literal sense)

• Locked thread