Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

I honestly believe it's because Scott Snyder is trying to see what DC will let him get away with.

That's literally it. He's said that he wanted to just go loving crazy and Endgame gave him the opportunity to do exactly that. I cannot loving wait, because the last time Snyder did Batman-But-Not-Bruce he loving rocked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Travis343 posted:

The impression I got from the preview was that Midnighter is a crazy person. Is that accurate? That was my first exposure to the character. He kinda feels like a less-goonlord version of Judge Dredd.

He's not really crazy, just extremely unapologetic about being a man with a computer in his head who wears black leather and beats up people for a living, and has sex with men on his spare time.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

Prez is the kind of book that would've been completely at home in Vertigo 12 years ago.

That book has some serious tooth to it in addition to being loving hilarious.

It's got the dark comedy of 2000AD but it's also able to come up with Pharmaduke and I respect that a lot.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

I wonder if there was some concentrated effort to make Martian Manhunter sound as bland and unappealing as possible in order to totally catch people off guard when it turned out to be really weird and floating a lot of good ideas.

It somehow ended on a loving callback to Chocos. That's the level this comic is operating on.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
So uh why are we giving credit to anything the man looking for dirt in the Ashley Madison leaks has to say? When the guy's bread and butter is that kind of clickbaity headlines aimed at a target audience of assholes in their mid-40s being literally everything wrong with comic book fans and people too lazy to look at Ales Kot's twitter history? It's even written in a way that screams "feel vindicated because soon you won't have to deal with the women and minorities all up in your fun time picture books".

Like, I'm all for making GBS threads on DC's editorial staff, but until you hear a peep about Midnighter being cancelled, why do you listen to the broken clock man?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Omega Men will get its 12 issues. We did it, America.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's something gleeful to what Johns is doing. I love the idea that instead of the Black Racer chasing Flash, this time Flash IS the Black Racer. It's going for it, trying to be The Biggest Story Ever in this very earnest way, which is what I enjoy from him.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Posted without commentary

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

What was the last thing Wein even wrote? I remember Legacies, but that was five years ago.

I wanna say it's Before Watchmen: Ozymandias? Which was mostly boring words over incredible Jae Lee artwork.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Madkal posted:

The fact that he got harassed off the book though is bullshit. Though I wasn't a big fan of the book, nothing much in there really called for vitriol from the fan base.

Yeah. But at least there's no risk of that happening on his next assignment at Marvel.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
New team on Aquaman has been announced. It's Johns and Reis. REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO GOOD.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
"Rebirth" is also the name of two Geoff Johns / Ethan Van Sciver miniseries which served as the basis for one bad movie and one pretty successful television show. Maybe it's that?

Especially when this happens?

https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/690661242478825472

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Dexie posted:

Is there any specific reason why DC would treat them so well while pissing off so many other people? You rarely hear anyone else talking about how great they think it is working for DC, so. It's got me really curious.

Harley Quinn sells a whole heck of a lot. Same goes for Scott Snyder. If you make that paper DC seems to be content leaving you alone.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Or maybe it is what it is, and trying to guess what it's gonna be based on words on a curtain and whatever strikes Rich Johnston's fancy is pretty much like trying to read tea leaves.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/17/dc-comics-to-announce-rebirth-tomorrow-at-comicspro/

Looks like Rebirth is being announced tomorrow. Also of note:

It's sounding like books like Midnighter and Hellblazer might not be canceled. Midnighter's solicit did not sound definitive by any means.

yeah but on the other hand, Rich did say it was a reboot

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

DrProsek posted:

I think they mean the basic "clownman/lady crime duo/lovers" thing, the whole Bonnie and Clyde thing.

congrats, you just got why so many people are into the Harley and Ivy dynamic

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Shut up. Geoff Johns is talking Rebirth.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-geoff-johns-details-rebirth-plan-seeks-to-restore-legacy-to-dc-universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOFXITBuLMA

He specifically mentioned Birds of Prey and JSA in this video.

Johns is also leaving Justice League.

DC staying at 2.99 is kinda huge, and way smart? Whatever the rest of Rebirth is, that's one Cool and Good move.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Doesn't matter how much they retcon and not-reboot and not-un-reboot - any DC relaunch with this editorial team is hosed in the long run. They're hopelessly aimless and have no guiding vision for the line; witness the complete 180 shift from last year's continuity-deemphasizing DC YOU relaunch to this.

Yeah, but who gives a gently caress, if we get good books from it? I could give a flying gently caress about how DCYou's doing (which is compounded by the dubiousness of Diamond's numbers). All I know is it got me Constantine: The Hellblazer, Martian Manhunter, Prez, and a whole lot of dope books.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Here's the lineup of all the books in REBIRTH:

quote:

June:
Rebirth Specials:
AQUAMAN REBIRTH #1
BATMAN REBIRTH #1
THE FLASH REBIRTH #1
GREEN ARROW REBIRTH #1
GREEN LANTERNS REBIRTH #1
SUPERMAN REBIRTH #1
TITANS REBIRTH #1
WONDER WOMAN REBIRTH #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping twice monthly):
AQUAMAN #1
BATMAN #1
THE FLASH #1
GREEN ARROW #1
GREEN LANTERNS #1
SUPERMAN #1
WONDER WOMAN #1

New Issues (Shipping twice monthly):
ACTION COMICS #957
DETECTIVE COMICS #934

July
Rebirth Specials:
BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY REBIRTH #1
HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS REBIRTH #1
THE HELLBLAZER REBIRTH #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE REBIRTH #1
NIGHTWING REBIRTH #1
RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS REBIRTH #1

HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE #1
NIGHTWING #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):
BATGIRL #1
BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY #1
THE HELLBLAZER #1
RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS #1
THE SUPER-MAN #1
TITANS #1

Fall
Rebirth Specials:
BATMAN BEYOND REBIRTH #1
BLUE BEETLE REBIRTH #1
CYBORG REBIRTH #1
DEATHSTROKE REBIRTH #1
EARTH 2 REBIRTH #1
SUICIDE SQUAD REBIRTH #1
SUPERGIRL REBIRTH #1
TEEN TITANS REBIRTH #1
TRINITY REBIRTH #1

CYBORG #1
DEATHSTROKE #1
HARLEY QUINN #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA #1
SUICIDE SQUAD #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):
BATMAN BEYOND #1
BLUE BEETLE #1
EARTH 2 #1
GOTHAM ACADEMY: NEXT SEMESTER #1
SUPERGIRL #1
SUPERWOMAN #1
SUPER SONS #1
TEEN TITANS #1
TRINITY #1

Full reveal with creative teams will be on March 26, at Wondercon, with a livestream on Youtube

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
don't give it much thought

because rich johnston sure as poo poo didn't

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm sure this will be the reboot that finally turns the company around. The last few, those were just test runs. This one though, it will be different. Because uh...

Pick your poison:

A) It's not a reboot, just a relaunch and renumbering
B) Yes, because DC are the only company that is relaunching their books, no other company is doing it, they're special in that way

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

They bitched pretty hard when a bunch of books renumbered with Marvel Now! People were kind of over it by the time the All New All Different relaunch started. Marvel's current stance when referencing a specific run of a book is stating the year the book launched. For example " *Ms. Marvel #4 (2014)". Maybe someone with comixology can confirm that that's a good way to find the book being referenced.

There's two "The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1 (2015). (And two "Howard the Duck #1 (2015)")

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

graybook posted:

And I should go back and reread the Killjoys series. I would be intensely on board with him on Doom Patrol.

Killjoys is pretty rough. Cloonan is killing it, but man, the plot is just dull. You're better off watching the MCR videos it's based on.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
it's actually a black woman superheroine in a sensible and practical costume calling out someone's blatant misogyny

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
if you're following Savage Dawn, and you should, quick reminder that Superman/Wonder Woman goes BEFORE Superman

got burned on that one and it felt pretty bad

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Brenden Fletcher (Batgirl/Black Canary writer) got some Black Canary band music made.
http://blackcanary.bandcamp.com/album/ep-1
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dcs-black-canary-band-releases-real-life-music
Maybe this promo would've been more useful months ago, but there ya go. Good on him. Pack a CD in with the trade.

it's in time for the trade, which is out next week

also: that Bauhaus cover is dope

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

Sounds like Rob Williams is writing Suicide Squad in Rebirth.

He's killing it on Martian Manhunter and brings just the right level of weird to the title, so I'm pretty happy with this choice.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/977?articleID=175704

it's confirmed

boy oh boy, that's PRETTY BIG and also pretty weird

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
http://www.villagevoice.com/arts/exclusive-boom-studios-announces-lumberjanes-and-gotham-academy-crossover-series-8367643

hey guess what there's gonna be a 6-issues Gotham Academy/Lumberjanes crossover

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Sugar and Spike part of Legends of Tomorrow was quite good. Check the funny panels thread. The rest of the parts weren't terrible, but all pretty flat. I'll keep at it though.

I really dug the Metal Men feature, because the Metal Men are cool and good. The one problem I had with it is that they made Will Magnus younger and yet somehow he's not vaping in every single panel he appears in.

The other two? They're not really my thing, but they're kinda neat as exercises in old-school comic craft and storytelling. They're just straight-up Action Adventure comics and I can dig that.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Volcott posted:

I want to read about a team of big goddamn heroes saving the world/galaxy/universe. Does DC have anything like that nowadays, or are back issues of JLA my best bet?

Right now, in Geoff Johns' Justice League run, Darkseid is dead, and in the wake of that, the Justice League have become gods, and they're fighting the Anti-Monitor, with reality's continued existence at stake. Lex Luthor leads an entire army of parademons. It's pretty big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Wacky Raceland looks like the most ridiculous thing and I have no idea how they'll make the Gruesome Twosome fit in this but it's the thing I wanna see the most in my life right now.

• Locked thread