Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

WickedHate posted:

Absolutely. Sure, it'd be bad if he suddenly and for no real reason turned into an unhinged tyrant or went Incorruptible on everyone, but that's not Superman.

Superman murdering people and also claiming complete power is also not Superman. You seem to be saying "it would be awesome if Superman was God-Emperor of Earth but still maintained his sense of ethics and righteousness" but you're failing to realize that the thing that keeps Superman from becoming God-Emperor of Earth are the very same sense of ethics and righteousness.

There are all kinds of important ethical and philosophical reasons why you're wrong on this, but they would take ages and ages to explain. Please understand that when I say "suffice it to say, you'll grow out of it" I'm not trying to be a snarkily dismissive rear end in a top hat - almost everyone I know thought along similar lines at some point in their life and then realized they were wrong once they got a bit older and learned more poo poo via life experience. So instead of spending the next few hours explaining things like "if someone forces you to be good, then by taking away the choice they have essentially rendered 'being good' a valueless proposition" and suchlike, I'm just going to reassure you that in a few years you'll remember having written those last few posts and wince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Is Sinestro any good? What is the hook of the series? Is his daughter involved and how much is she part of it? I am thinking of getting it today, and do not want to drop a bunch for trash.

It's... well, it's not bad. It's not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not awful or anything.

The hook right now is basically "Hey all the GLs have hosed off to go be in the past or some poo poo, so someone's got to do their job. That can be us! Sinestro Corps Space Cops! What could possibly go wrong?"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

catlord posted:

I really like Azrael,

What?

catlord posted:

though I've never read his series

Ah, that explains it.

I kid, mostly, kind of; Azrael the concept is actually kind of neat, but Azrael the character, the way it was executed, was pretty rubbish. Azrael was essentially the Bat-writers looking at the '90s and saying "Is this what you want? Is it? Look how terrible this is! You'll be so glad when you get Batman back!" and then when it turned out that some people actually kind of liked him, they all just looked at one another in shock and horror before shrugging and tossing him into as many inconsequential issues as possible to give those fans something to read while the writers bemoaned their existence. That... sort of handicaps a character's quality.

He is an interesting idea, though, and someday I'll find a way to cross over into the dimension where Grant Morrison wrote every issue of Azrael. I bet it's awesome.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Swillkitsch posted:

I've been reading and hugely enjoying Black Canary, which eventually led me to finally check out the new Batgirl run. They're both great books--visual treats, though BC is a bit slower plot-wise. The one problem I have after following Black Canary with Batgirl is that officially, I have no idea what Dinah was doing in the DC universe prior to her solo launch and her run in Batgirl. Was she up to anything interesting and worth picking up?

She was part of Team 7, which was bad. She married a dude. Dude died. She was in the Birds of Prey. It ranged from not-very-good to tolerable. Dude didn't actually die but he was amnesiac and also comatose. Oh and something about him made her powers wonky. BoP essentially dissolved and she crashed on Babs' couch for a bit in Batgirl before getting her solo series which is so good.

Personally I was no fan of bolting "covert commando badass" to her backstory (because in order to make her awesome let's shoehorn her onto a team with Deathstroke and Grifter!), but YMMV.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Swillkitsch posted:

Black Canary is still pretty great too. I'm hoping Annie Wu stays on the art for awhile. If the arc is concluding with the next issue, it'll be too soon. I still want to know who Kurt is, but based on what y'all said about Team Seven and the New 52 Birds of Prey I guess I'll continue to live with the mystery.

Kurt was Dinah's wife and Team Seven teammate. Then he died. Then he wasn't dead but had amnesia. Also he was doing something to affect her powers, I dunno.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Maybe they're teasing Geoff Johns: Rebirth, a blockbuster story in which Old Geoff Johns Who Wrote Good (well, half-decent) Comics returns and vanquishes Current Geoff Johns, Known Hack.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

If they could unfuck the Teen Titans it'd be nice to have them operate out of Gotham Academy. Make the book fun, how hard is that?

I like Gotham Academy too much to want to risk them getting any Teen Titans on it.

You know it'd only be a few months before Maps lost an arm or something. :(

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Also paired with the sweet robot girl from the contemporary run of The Outsiders to turn out to be Braniac in disguise (or an offshoot, or fork or something). I remember teenage-Gaz-L being very annoyed with that turn of events.

I thought Indigo got paired off with Shift (the piece-of-Metamorpho-who-became-a-new-Metamorpho).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, so she could cackle about how it was all a deception when Braniac 8's plan to team up with LuthorBoy comes to fruition.

Ahhhh, gotcha; I misunderstood your meaning for 'paired.'

Yeah, I was pretty irritated by that storyline myself, if only because I thought Indigo and Shift were pretty cute together.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I am willing to take over the Cassandra Cain/Tim Drake series. It'll be the only one where the big romantic moments & the beating up of ninjas are in the same scene.

Dibs on the Stephanie Brown/Bette Kane teamup book.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Travis343 posted:

Saying Stephanie is just Blonde Barbara is incredibly dumb though.

:agreed:. It'd be more accurate to say that New 52 Barbara was just Ginger Stephanie Brown.

Barbara was a vastly more interesting character as Oracle anyways, but I'm well-aware that that ship has sailed.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I am angry. ANGRY ABOUT BATGIRLS. :argh:

Is this because you had to shut up about Spider-Girl in the Marvel thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

DC Comics: It's Not A Success, And It Never Was

• Locked thread