Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

Still hate Nu Lobo. Seriously does anyone like him or want him around.

I like the guy but it IS odd the title continues unchanged. It was the lowest selling N52 title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh man, Medri is such a good artist

Oddly enough, I think his style works better almost monochromatic.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnggggggg.

That art is loving HORRIBLE.

Why exactly?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

Anatomy, line work, design, coloring. It's awful.

You have established lovely taste so I'm not shocked you can't see what's wrong with it.

Design is subjective so is pointless to argue about that but Jason is perfectly well proportionated, the pose doesn't break any physics, line work is clear and detailed.

The coloring is one of the things I like the most actually, it really makes the character shine.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Deadpool posted:

The coloring is as flat and lifeless as the background. And the ridiculous blur effect is for what exactly?

Medri trying stuff, that was one of the samples he did for DC the past year.

This is another one

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

It's basic color to show what the costume is meant to look like, presumably.

Correct.

Although he's fond of using basic colors on his drawings:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

It looks better than the DC house coloring style but that's true of pretty much every drawing. It's a decently stylized picture that wouldn't look out of place in a 90s book, perhaps from Joe Mad or Humberto Ramos. And I say that as somebody who actually liked those two back in the day.

The main thing that sticks out to me is the guns - one is drawn straight from the front and the other is drawn straight from the side. This suggests that the artist has zero confidence in his ability to draw guns with any kind of foreshortening or from any kind of angle. They make the picture look awkwardly posed - Jason is holding his arms at unnatural angles to ensure the guns are facing the viewer at the easiest-to-draw angle. That is some amateur hour DeviantArt poo poo.

Posture is certainly odd but isn't as unnatural as you think.

He doesn't seem to have any issue drawing guns from different angles anyways

And checking his gallery, it turns out he designed the character of Lady Spider for Spider-Verse

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Yeah, I saw that picture of Jason jumping off the roof had a gun flying through the air at an extreme angle too. Still having some good perspective in other drawings does not make that one particular drawing any better.

True.

Probably the fact it was meant to fully showcase the suit was what determinated the odd posture. In any case, I have high hopes for his work on RH/A. He only needs a good colorist and we will be set.

Yeah, I had to accept the stupid undercut :sigh:

quote:

edit: Steampunk is loving garbage

I dunno, Steampunk Venom looks pretty cool

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nobby posted:

Drawing guns, learning to erase some more lines, and moving past Dark City aren't.

The Dark City aesthetic goes with Jason's direction as a more street level kind of vigilante.

If you haven't noticed through the solicits, RH/A is all about embracing the general tone of the 90's and both poke fun at it and making it cool (I mean, they're fighting loving killer mimes on issue 2)

Other than the odd posture, I can't find anything wrong with the pistols. Medri's obviously not aiming for realism there.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

How?

I've been on a lot of places talking about the new designs and the same amount of people who doesn't like the design is roughly the same that likes it. Even in this very same forum there has been people who found the new design better than any other of Jason's designs.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't believe there's another forum with half as much Red Hood talk as this one.

Well, CBR has a dedicated thread for Red Hood, there's plenty of talk on tumblr, Medri's devianart account has plenty of watchers and actually I'm co admin of the RHATO (soon to get a name change) fanpage on Facebook :v:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't believe the Author talks about the Red Hood as much.

Lobdell isn't big on social media and was somewhat bitter after being unceremoniously removed from RHATO two years ago.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 1, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

How much you like a design is subjective. Whether a design is good or bad can be, and often is, objectively evaluated. For instance, no one will ever look at this:

and say it's a good design. Because it's not. It's awful. But it's supposed to be; that's the entire point. But I like it because it's exactly what a dumb young teen in the 70s would make as a costume she thinks is cool.

That said, I don't think the Red Hood costume is a bad design, per se, but it's about half a step removed from the UDON Taskmaster design, hoodie and all.

Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks for the explanation.

The hoodie addition is obviously editorial wanting to ride the coat tails of Arkham Knigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8kCPAiO8_M

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

If anything, it reeks of Johnsian Literalism to me.

Well, Johns DID have a hand on Arkham Knight's plot.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Batman Beyond, here's the preview for issue 1

EDIT: To keep the push for the new comics, DC will hold a massive digital sale through all of june

Every comic on the following list will be available for 99 cents

quote:

The New DC Universe Sale Week 1 (6/2 – 6/8)

Aquaman: Aquaman (2011-) #1-38
Deathstroke: Deathstroke (2011) #1-20, Deathstroke (2014) #1-6
Justice League: Justice League (2011-) #1-38
The Flash: The Flash (2011-) #1-38
Green Arrow: Green Arrow (2011-) #1-38
New Suicide Squad: Suicide Squad (2011-) #1-30, New Suicide Squad #1-6
Lobo: Lobo (2014-) #1-4
Secret Six: Secret Six (2014-) #1
Teen Titans: Teen Titans (2011-) #1-30, Teen Titans (2014-) #1-6
Wonder Woman: Wonder Woman (2011-) #1-38
Action Comics: Action Comics (2011-) #1-38
Superman: Superman (2011-) #1-37
Superman/Wonder Woman: Superman/Wonder Woman (2012-) #1-15
Batman/Superman: Batman/Superman (2013-) #1-18
Batman: Batman (2011-) #1-38
Batgirl: Batgirl (2011-) #1-34
Catwoman: Catwoman (2011-) #1-38
Detective Comics: Detective Comics (2011-) #1-38
Gotham by Midnight: Gotham by Midnight (2014-) #1-3
Harley Quinn: Harley Quinn (2013-) #1-14
Green Lantern: Green Lantern (2011-) #1-38
Sinestro: Sinestro (2014-) #1-9

The New DC Universe Sale Week 2 (6/9 – 6/15)

Justice League of America: JLA (1997-2006) #47-54
Bat-Mite: Batman #672-674, 678-680
Batman Beyond: Futures End #1-52, Batman Beyond (2010) #1-6
Dr. Fate: Doctor Fate (1987) #1-4, Doctor Fate (1988-1992) #1-41
Green Lantern: The Lost Army: Green Lantern Corps (2011) #1-40
Justice League 3001: Justice League 3000 #1-15
The Omega Men: Omega Men (2006) #1-6, Green Lantern (1976-) #141-144, Omega Men (1983) #1-38, DC Comics Presents (1978-1983) #89, Green Lantern (1976-1986) #161, Omega Men (1983-1986) Annuals 1 and 2.
Robin: Son of Batman: Batman & Robin (2011) #1-40, Robin Rises Omega #1, Robin Rises Alpha #1, Batman, Incorporated (2012) #1-13
Section 8: Hitman #1-40
Starfire: Red Hood and the Outlaws #1-40, DC Universe Presents (2011-) #18

The New DC Universe Sale Week 3 (6/16 – 6/22)

Bizarro: Forever Evil #1-7, Action Comics #855-857
Black Canary: Birds of Prey (2011) #1-34
Constantine: The Hellblazer: Justice League Dark #1-40, Constantine #1-23
Doomed: Superman: Doomed #1-2, Supergirl (2011) #34-35
Earth 2: Society: Earth 2 #1-32
Harley Quinn & Power Girl: Power Girl #1-27
Martian Manhunter: Stormwatch (2011) #1-19, Justice League of America (2013) #1-14, Martian Manhunter (1998-2001) #0-36
Midnighter: Stormwatch (2011) #20-30, Midnighter (2007-2008) #1-20
Prez: Prez (1974) #1-4
Red Hood/Arsenal: Arsenal (1998-) 1-4, DC Universe Presents (2011-) #17
We Are… Robin: Batman Eternal #1-52

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 1, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SynthOrange posted:

So what's the upshot of Convergence?

Mediocre to decent series with a lot of padding.

Tie ins range from really good to mediocre.

So same as usual :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interview with Steve Orlando about Midnighter

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Midnighter Preview

It actually looks really cool.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HitTheTargets posted:

A Midnighter that doesn't explain at length how he's fought this fight a million times in his head is no Midnighter I want to read about.

I really liked how King wrote Midnighter on Grayson but I got somewhat irritated at his constant banter here. The odd thing is that Midnighter was equally as chatty on both series. Having said that, I really liked Midnighter.

I've always found Midnighter as an interesting character back on the N52 and the story with the garden is a very interesting premise.

Bat-Mite was fun but some of the humour fell flat at times. Bat-Mite no making constant use of his reality-warping powers was also a bit distracting. Here's hoping it gets better on the second issue.

I wasn't totally sold on Bizarro but as soon they introduced Collin it won me over. Really fun issue with some great art.

Batman Beyond was different but is an interesting premise and it got me curious to see where everything's going. I guess it helps I don't have any strong feeling for the animated series :shrug:

Green Lantern was surprisingly decent, but I've been burned out by Venditti too many times already so, I'm wary.

Lobo is more of the same so if you didn't liked before, you won't be changing your mind. I liked it.

Got bored with Omega Men, great art but the writing didn't caught me.

Justice League was a good story but I'm sick of the League being punked by every major foe they face. Grail looking more and more as a mary sue character doesn't help either.

Action Comics was good but I'm sick of shady organizations turning the system against the heroes, the fact we don't know yet the exact circumstances behind Clark's outing as Superman made me feel like I caught a movie on its middle point.

The Wonder Woman Annual was decent if unremarkable. And it would seem that they solved the Donna plot too fast.

Green Arrow was fantastic and it perfectly follows Lemire's run.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Wednesday can't get here soon enough :allears:

Is surprising what a decent colorist can do, Roy looks way better here than he did on the sneak peek (it helps that Medri's pencills also look better).

I'm also really pleased with the series picking off where RHATO ended, is gonna be a really fun ride.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Eh. The gradients are kinda yuck.

I'm just happy with Roy having the correct color scheme, hopefully Jason is the same.

Speaking of Roy, I don't know if just the stubble but he looks older than he ever did on RHATO or the Sneak Peek. I like it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUP_9BB6zWo

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Gotham Academy preview

Art is gorgeous and I was thinking of picking up due Damian but let's see if he has a decent showing here.

Also

"Red Hood Arsenal is a romcom with some action elements"

:haw:

Lobdell posted:

Palette is an international terrorist who is only interested in whatever cause will pay him the most money.

Battleworth is a Washington power broker who sees a lot of potential in Arsenal and Red Hood and makes the mistake of hiring them more than once — she's not a "threat," but she is a catalyst who gets Roy and Jason thinking there is a future in this.

Les Mimes is a heartbroken sod who winds up using his awe-inspiring self-duplicating powers for something as mundane as stalking his ex.

Underbelly is a thought who is also a crime lord that exists in every major city in America and parts of Europe.

Sera Fina is a superheroine in her own eyes and a super villain as far as the rest of the world is concerned — who wants to take Roy's new business model and take it global.

And finally, the all-new Batman is a city-sanctioned crime fighter who looks at Red Hood and Arsenal and only sees a rap sheet and not their best intentions.

And that is only the first five issues. So tighten that seat belt!

I'm so on board with this series :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 5, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

That Batman suit. :allears: that's Dick in the suit right?

Indeed, wonder if they will acknowledge the bit about being crippled on Convergence.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

He got fixed immediately.

Yes, by Telos' powers but the sneak peek and this preview show E2 going on a very different direction to how the characters ended Convergence.

If anything, Dick struggling with his condition seems fitting for the grim tone I'm getting from E2 Society.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Red Hood/Arsenal was everything I wanted and more :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 10, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So new week, new comics.

Detective was really solid, the focus on the GCPD makes it work perfectly as the companion book for Batman

Suicide Squad wasn't horrible and the art was finally decent but still, it was the worst book this week.

I tried to give Harley a chance but nope, isn't a book I like. Is still too random and when a Popeye ripoff showed up I had enough.

Constantine was good but just like Harley its tone isn't something that I enjoy. With any luck Tynion will be a better writer when he returns to writing duties on the batman books.

E2 Society tackled right of the bat all my complaints with the sneak peek and while the time jump is kind of a lazy plot device it kept me interested. An indeed, Dick's status was acknowledged and most likely will be a plot point down the line.

Section Eight was really weird but not my style.

Batman/Superman was pretty drat good although the fact the story keeps alluding issues that aren't out yet is driving me nuts. Defintely interested to see where Truth is going.

Starfire made Kori a virtual copy of the cartoon version. Awesome for those who enjoyed that characterization but I find it incredibly irritating so thanks, but no thanks. Good art tho.

Red Hood/Arsenal was amazing, Medri work feels and looks (thanks to a better work by his colorist) more polished than it looked on the sneak peek. Lobdell keeps showing how good is his grasp on the boys and delivered a solid story that is simply fun, action and banter from start to beginning. Can't wait to see what kind of problems the boys gets into.

We're off to a good start :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

Why are they shooting at the Eiffel Tower and why is the first panel a shot of Red Hood's crotch?

They are fighting mimes, isn't that great? :allears:

As for the other question, I don't think that Jason's crotch is the focus of that panel but different strokes I guess v:v:v

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

So wait Harley Quinn is too 'random' for you but killer mimes isn't? That's the most monkey penguin cheese spork thing in this entire relaunch.

Because Harley lacks a straight man to bounce off all the randomness. On Red Hood, Jason fills that role neatly while in Harley everyone is nuts.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TwoPair posted:

This is actually kinda humorous, I'll admit. I'd buy a full comic of Roy Harper, Awful Hero™.

Does DC have those little AR codes? Maybe on every page you can scan one to play a sad trombone noise.

It gets better

:haw:

Have I said yet how much I like Medri's work the title?

:allears:

You guys can check his designs and sketches here

sbaldrick posted:

Did they reboot Starfire again for some reason (beyond the stupid idiot reason from the last reboot).

Yes and no.

Palmiotti and Conner use Lobdell's origin and background (glossing over her time with the Outlaws) but despite Kori being well adapted and quite savy during her time with the boys now suddenly she doesn't understand human currency or the concepts of work and dying of old age. This creates a pretty jarring characterization that at least for me, was enough to kill any interest I've had on the character.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
September's theme for Variants is Motherfucking Green Lantern :rock:

Just look at these beauties

First variant month wher eI might go out of my way to get some variants. Shame that RH/A isn't included though :(

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

catlord posted:

I don't remember the Chip Kidd ones. Some of these are pretty good though, although DT chose to showcase like, the worst ones. What on Earth is going on in the Green Arrow one?

A fight between GA and GL. It made me laugh :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Solicits

Things of note:

-We Are Robin 4, hints a major tragedy. If is what I think, I'm eating my words and getting the issue.

-Grayson looks hella interesting this month

-Bane on Batman '66 :v:

And of course

:black101:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 16, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I was bitching about the sneak peek and how it seemed to ignore the riks vigilantism entailed by presenting the kids as incredibly competent. People here pointed out how that could be adressed down the line and I'd said if that happened I'd admit my mistake.

I'm just following up my words :shrug:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Man I hope Jim smears those little shits across the Goddamn city

Is THAT a thing an insane person might say? I feel like wishing Jason Todd would get beat up is a completely normal impulse.

Within the comic is also a common notion :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

I agree that I don't like the idea of normal kids being competent vigilantes out of nowhere, even if I'm usually able to forgive it if the story is good.

But saying you hope a kid in the comic died because of it is pretty extreme.

Yeah, probably should've worded that better. Sorry.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Doomed was alright, didn't wowed me but it was fun, gonna keep an eye on it. Loved Lobdell's cameo by the way :haw:

Son of Batman was good. Not entirely sold yet on the whole year of blood business and it doesn't make a lick of sense in the context of Batbunny and Grayson but whatever.

WW/Superman, ehhhh...I'm gonna hold judgement until we know what the gently caress happened with Superman but so far I'm not liking the whole Truth business.

Sinestro was good if somewhat forgetable

Couldn't gather enough interest to check the other titles :shrug:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/612011324554526721

Interesting

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Deathstroke was like reading a videogame, literally. Not a lot of substance but is entertaining and I guess Daniels de-aged Slade just so he could draw him like Manu Bennet.

JL3001 was entertaining not really my cup of tea though. I did LOVE Ambush Bug Cameo

Aquaman had pretty art but I couldn't find myself interested on the plot.

Flash is utter poo poo.

I have the same issue with We Are Robin than I have with Gotham Academy, the concept simply clahses too much with the comic book universe to be believable. The whole point of Tim and Jason origins was that being a vigilante wasn't a game, we spent a lot of time building both Harper and Steph into believable crime fighters and suddenly you have a bunch of no name kids pulling the same feats? Bullshit. I'm noter a fan of the social theme Bermejo is aiming for either, I've had enough of that with my classmates and friends.

Grayson is a very uneven book for me, the parts focused etirely on Dick's character are gold but the spy sections are dull and the fan pandering really breaks the flow of the story. I'll wait until issue 12 to decide if I keep it on my pull list.

I'm getting tired of the Truth storyline, the explanation of the events that lead to Clark's loss of his power and outing is too slow, making me feel like I'm seeing a movie midways. The fact Lois is coming off like a massive bitch on her article doesn't help either.

Lost Army was incredibly solid but of course they had to use the light reservoir bullshit.

Didn't bothered to read Batgirl :shrug:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

It really really wasn't. Especially Tim who got poo poo on less for being a vigilante and more because the universe hates him prior to Identity Crisis which was a Very Bad Book anyway.

In the N52 I mean, Tim was adopted by Bruce because he pissed Penguin off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

The thing is, Tim and Jason were products of their time and characters like Stephanie (as she is now, but even back then), Duke and Harper are products of a different time. The former were made in a time were comics were intent on showing a darker side to them after the more corny nature of the past, while the latter are made in a time where comics are trying to regain that nostalgic past while mixing in modern sensibilities.

Also there's a fine line between "competent vigilante" and "street fighter." You don't see most people in gangs being formally trained to be a fighting force, but they're a force because of their numbers and because they know how to throw a punch.

Again, I'm not talking about their publication history. I'm talking about their origins on the N52.

Far as I'm concerned the only story elements that matter on the DC You are those introduced on the N52 and We are Robin's premise clashes entirely with that. Snyder has spent his run making a point on how much of a shithole Gotham is and how ruthless it villians can be.

Introducing a bunch of supposedly normal kids able to hold their own against those same threats is illogical and undermines the achievements of the former Robins.

• Locked thread