Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Semper Fudge posted:

Please remember that DC is good now.

I'm going from reading one book to potentially six, but we don't want to get ahead of ourselves here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The coloring is as flat and lifeless as the background. And the ridiculous blur effect is for what exactly?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How about stop posting about the Red Hood guy and just ignore him if he bothers you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

After complaints and requests I would like to formally request that Dark_Tzitzimine and WickedHate stop derailing this thread with your stupidity. If you can't post without being terrible, and I've yet to see evidence from either of you, then just go away. This goes two ways as well. The rest of you stop poking bad posters into making bad posts.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ElNarez posted:

Posted without commentary

Oh boy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah knock that poo poo off. I said before let him enjoy his books and quit making a big deal out of it. There's no harm in posting about books you like even if nobody else likes them. Put him on ignore if you can bear to see him talk about books he likes, he's not done anything terrible since I told him to knock off the stupidity. He's only talked about books he likes. Now it's time to leave him alone.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 15, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So it took four issues before a Bryan Hitch related delay? That's gotta be better than expected. And I thought his title was literally its own thing and not in the regular DC continuity specifically because of his time issues? Also I would almost be willing to bet it's some old unpublished Kindt story that was reworked to fit into the current series rather than Kindt actually writing a one off for DC.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wait, Bleeding Cool got something right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I hope it's more of a retool than a reboot. There's a lot of opportunity to make good comics with some of the creators and books they have, they just seem to be missing it almost every time. I think the best things I'm reading from DC right now are Grayson and Legend of Wonder Woman. And one of those is a digital book that very few people have probably ever looked at so that worries me. The only other stuff I'm reading from DC is Midnighter, Black Canary (well whenever an issue actually comes out I'll read it), and Robin Son of Batman. And the Max Landis Superman book which is surprisingly good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

lotus circle posted:

Legend of Wonder Woman has been getting great reviews, but DC has done it a disservice by not hyping it up in the same way they did Bombshells, which actually had a very solid print debut despite being a digital first comic.

I think it has the best art in all of DC. The writer/artist I had never heard of until this series. I hope she stays on it a long time if DC will allow her to.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Travis343 posted:

In a decade every comic book will be digital only with eventual TPB printings. It really is the best way to do this. Monthly floppies are a huge pain in the rear end.

Sorry Rhyno.

This is the best possible future. But it's also my present. I haven't bought a physical floppy in a few years at this point. It's great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wendell posted:

Seriously, please get the Finches off Wonder Woman. The farce has gone on far too long!

I felt that way too before I discovered Legend of Wonder Woman. Now I don't really care what they do in the main book as long as this is around.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

I'd say give De Liz the main title, honestly. She clicks with the character in a way I think very few others do.

But then she'd have more editorial hoops to jump through. I'd like for her to stay in her own little corner with this book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Veg posted:

Why didnt Prez launch as a Vertigo series?

Because regardless of how it's perceived by fans I think once you launch something as a Vertigo series it immediately puts a low cap on how successful the book will be. They were probably hoping it would do better business not as a Vertigo book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Future Quest looks great. Flintstones looks alright. Wacky Races I don't really care about. The art on Scooby Doo is terrible. I think I'm completely over Jim Lee at this point. His art just kind of feels outdated to me. I get the same feeling when I look at his art as a I do when I look at Bryan Hitch. It's just too much and very little of it appealing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So Black Canary, Midnighter, and Grayson axed? That's almost all of what I read at DC. Jesus.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well DC has to do something to try and turn the ship around. Their marketshare is incredibly weak, and for good reason as a good majority of their line is not very good. Unfortunately just going by what they're throwing out I don't have much confidence in this plan as they seem to be getting rid of interesting books and literally doubling down on the big books that I frankly don't care about. I mean Pak is one of my favorite writers but I never really cared for his Superman stuff and now Tomasi is supposed to turn that around? I'm one of the few as well that never really clicked with Snyder's Batman and while it's great to see someone like King take it on the loss of Grayson and the double shipping put a damper on that because I just know from past experiences that the art is going to go to poo poo with double shipping and deadlines. DC does that stuff all the time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Barry Convex posted:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/02/dc-comics-rebirth-could-it-be-a-reboot-after-all/

This would be hilarious if true, especially since deciding at the relative last minute to do a near-total reboot (as opposed to a less radical relaunch) is exactly how the New 52 came about in the first place.

I choose not to believe this. Because DC can't be that dumb to wait until the last minute to decide if it's a reboot or not. There's no way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Barry Convex posted:

That's pretty much exactly what they did five years ago, so it's not like there isn't precedent.

Is that really what they did? I know it was a lazy quasi-reboot, but wasn't it planned to be that way from the jump even if it was a bad idea? I can't see them literally waiting until they have the individual pitches in their lap before deciding if it's a reboot or not. That doesn't make any sense.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dunbar posted:

After reading Action today, I'm 100% ready for DC to blow everything up and start over.

Oh man, what have they done to Superman now? How is that Dan Jurgens and Max Landis are writing the best Superman comics in 2016?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

All of that does sound kind of dumb when boiled down to basics like that, but not "burn it all down" dumb. I don't have a problem with characters changing powers and going through stories where they're dealing with radical changes because all of that stuff eventually passes and can be an interesting diversion from the norm if done right.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Squizzle posted:

Let's break from this page of doom, gloom, and Red Hoo...m. It's time for nerdling candy garbage chat:

Post a :krad: hypothetical Justice League roster, no fewer than six and no more than twelve members.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Mr. Terrific, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Booster Gold, Hawkgirl. And maybe begrudgingly John Stewart if you have to have a Green Lantern on there. But I'd rather not and Stewart is the only tolerable one (almost exclusively because of the cartoon).

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 11, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Looks like someone mixed Tom Welling and Henry Cavill in a blender to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

I guess that was the mandate, but those are all mostly pretty uninspired do-overs. Kind of a waste of a not-terrible-idea.

It's (New) 52 (covers) done right!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Space_Butler posted:

I actually liked the DCYou relaunch far more than this never-ending staggered Marvel relaunch. Even if some of the books sucked, they were right there at once. This Marvel rollout has been painful and confusing for the casual readers at my shop who don't live and breathe updates via twitter, and my shop owner says the Non-Star Wars Marvel side of his business has dropped to below Valiant lately because of all the delays.

So as long as this is a "all the books will be out in the span of 1 month" renumbering, I'm okay with that.

Either your shop owner runs a highly incompetent business or he's an absolute liar.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

My store is a premiere Valiant retailer. We get lots of bonus stuff because we feature their books and push the line so hard.

That said, our total Valiant sales per month are less than our total Invincible Iron Man sales each month.

Yeah, I didn't say that in order to denigrate Valiant. I mean I've tried pushing Valiant on anyone that I can. I wish Valiant's sales were bigger than Marvel's because they sure as hell deserve it, but I can't see any way there's a shop where even the entire of Valiant's line outsells any of the top Marvel books.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm anxious to see what they can come up with to get me back reading more than a couple titles. Marc Silvestri sure as poo poo ain't gonna do it though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aw man, Clay Mann? I love his Valiant work. That sucks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They're going to try and ship Cyborg twice monthly? Who on the face of the planet is going to want to buy a Cyborg book twice a month?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I guess you can afford to drop the price on all your books when over half of your whole line is double shipped. Get ready for better stories but worse art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Super Man is a Brian Azzarello book about Lex Luthor becoming the most powerful superhero on the planet. Sign me up for that one.

Superwoman is about Lois Lane with Superman's powers, written by Meredith Finch. Hard pass on that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

At first it was written and drawn by Tony Daniel, then after six issues Tony Daniel took on a co-writer primarily known for writing Tomb Raider and similar books at Top Cow while still drawing the book, then after a few months Daniel stopped drawing it and a parade of fill-in artists took over, then as of a couple of months ago Tony Daniel stopped co-writing it too.

It sells not very well, but better than most books that don't have a Batman or Superman character in them, plus Deathstroke is on a TV show.

Deathstroke actually has been pulled from that TV show and probably won't return.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

goldenoreos posted:

I'm really hoping Blue Beetle is Jaime Reyes. I'm okay with Ted Kord being Blue Beetle in JL3000, but I'm upset with how DC has treated Jaime in the new 52.

They should have both. In a not so blatant copy of the Peter/Miles dynamic in the Marvel books. I'd read the hell out of that. Depending on the writer of course.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

-Continuity is back big time and according to Didio, the DC You approach of Story>Continuity was a big mistake because it had the company walk away from its greatest asset.

Of course.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not a Grant Morrison fan at all, but DC One Million is the biggest exception. I think it's one of the best things the company has ever done. I wish I liked Grant's other stuff a quarter as much as I liked that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Sugar and Spike part of Legends of Tomorrow was quite good. Check the funny panels thread. The rest of the parts weren't terrible, but all pretty flat. I'll keep at it though.

The art in those panels is great, and the story looks fun. So of course it'll never turn into an ongoing. I'm not buying an $8 book when the rest of it looks completely uninteresting though. Who's the creative team on that story?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man, Evely did that Doc Savage mini with Chris Roberson a few years back right? I remember wanting to see more of her stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

You should really grab that first Shaft trade, then. It's so pretty, and Walker has a really good voice for that sort of noir tale.

His first two issues of Power Man and Iron Fist have been amazing, so I probably will.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Greg Rucka Wonder Woman is a book I will read. I'm going to have be very picky about DC books though since most stuff is double shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only DC thing that Hickman has really said he would love to write in the past is Legion. I'm not sure even Hickman could get me to give a gently caress about them, but I'd be willing to try.

• Locked thread