Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I need to beef up my DC pulls so I'm going to be interested in any of these new series or resumptions of old series that might be good points to jump in.

This week, I'm looking at Green Arrow, Green Lantern and Midnighter. Any reason I shouldn't start on those? I've read 2 trade collections of Lemire's run on Arrow (I think Vols. 4 and 5) but that's it, and nothing from the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Read JL #41 and Action #41 and thought both were terrific, but what do I need to read to get familiar with all this New Genesis/Apokolips stuff in JL? I've read the entire New 52 run of JL and I don't recall running into these people anywhere before.

Probably going to stop by the shop today and pick up Arrow and Lantern since I wasn't sure about them on Wednesday.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Action #41 made it sound like the backstory behind the de-powering and everything else would be revealed in Superman #41, out the last Weds of the month.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I can't believe all the positive posts for Prez, Doomed and Dr. Fate. All I bought this week was Black Canary and Martian Manhunter. I'm going to have to go back to the shop.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I finally got caught up reading all my new DC #1s. Here's how I'd rate them:

Good stuff, will definitely keep reading: Black Canary, Starfire, Martian Manhunter
Not that interested, might give it another issue or two: JLA, Section 8, Earth 2 Society
Won't keep reading: Midnighter, Omega Men (seriously, Omega Men was unreadable)

Anything else I should try to check out while I can still easily find stuff at the shop?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm trying to come up with a title I want to read less than a Telos solo book and I can't do it.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Is Future's End worth reading as a standalone story? I seem to remember people not being that into it, but my library just got Vol 1 in, so I'm curious if it's worth reading as anything other than a lead in for Convergence.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I feel like the only one who isn't getting in on the fun with Robin: Son of Batman. :( I got the #1 but I dropped my sub after that because I had no clue what was going on in the book.

ps. I want to know what the gently caress store sells 337 copies of Book of Death. I have to imagine that was a typo. I think my store got in about 8 copies.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've never read a Green Lantern comic in my life but I've decided to try jumping in with the two post-Convergence series, Lost Army and the regular GL book. Is there anything specific I need to know or should I pretty much be able to pick it up? I'd like to go back and read some of the old New 52 stuff and the well-known Johns GL run eventually, but that probably won't happen for a while, so I was hoping they weren't vital.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I finally got around to reading Prez #2.

I wish Prez would last forever.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

DC already has enough standard books that I don't know how having a small portion of the line dedicated to more creative idiosyncratic books is going to hurt anything. Really, how many books would qualify as "Batgirled," like 10, maybe? Less?

And I thought it was only like 6 months ago that Bleeding Cool reported on the whole "Batgirl everything!" mandate in the first place. Those kind of whipsaws in editorial direction are going to drive away more readers than taking any one editorial approach and sticking to it. Unless they're going to put Batman and Superman in every book and charge $5 per issue. That will fix everything.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It's only austerity for the little people, I'm sure, same as real life. The big dogs aren't going to be affected. So basically they'll swing a scythe across 75% of the DCYou titles and replace them with Batman and the Others, Batman/Batman, Earth-2 Batman, Superman/Wonder Woman (and Batman), Martian Batman, All-Star Batman, etc.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'd say that's how pretty much everyone operates. If I recommended a well-known book that was adapted into a movie (say, Gone Girl) to 20 people, I guarantee you 18 of them would say "Isn't that a movie? I'll just watch that." Same with Watchmen or anything else.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I had to drop Harley Quinn during the Power Girl arc because they passed the number of tit jokes per page I could endure and keep going. As said above, you can definitely read an arc, or maybe a handful of issues, and know if it's your thing or not. It's Dial W for WWWWWACKY style humor.

As for Flash, the start of the New 52 to whenever they changed the creative team (~25 issues) is good stuff and well worth reading. The entire Lemire run of Arrow is worth reading, too. It's being collected into a deluxe edition some time soon.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I haven't read any DC prior to the New 52 (aside from some self-contained trades like All Star Superman) and I'm considering going back and reading all the Crisis events.

I'm wondering, will this be worth it? Everyone always points to Infinite Earths as sort of the beginning of modern DC, but I'm reading about the plot and it sounds hopelessly Byzantine. Also, given that I wasn't reading DC in the decades leading up to the event, the sorting-out of continuity will largely be lost on me. Are the various events good enough as stand alone stories to be worth reading? And is there a recommended guide to which tie-ins you should be reading, especially if you are essentially a new DC reader?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I liked Superman: Doomed more than most people it sounds like. Good epic Superman story.

And as far as reading lists, I would be interested in a chronological story reading order for all the "Truth" books. I'm having a hard time keeping the timeline straight across all four books and the rear end-backwards way they've told the story doesn't help.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That sucks they're taking Valentine off Catwoman. Is it because her book isn't selling or because they need her writing something else? That Catwoman book has been a bright spot for DC ever since she took over.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Those sales are depressing. Gotham Academy is genuinely in my top 3 or 5 DC books going right now. But it seems like it would appeal to the Ms Marvel type audience and have big digital sales (I hope). Catwoman, Martian Manhunter and Prez are also way too good to sell so poo poo. Those Prez sales in particular are just dire. I won't be a bit surprised if it gets axed after this first arc finishes.

edit: I just read the first 3 issues of GL Lost Army yesterday and took it out of my pulls immediately. No surprise at that cancellation.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I don't know what the heck is going on in Martian Manhunter but it's pretty cool.

Prez continues to own.

And I liked Black Canary a lot too, nice twist at the end with Katana (I guess?) showing up.

Haven't gotten to WW or SM/WW yet but a good day for DC so far.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

drat if Justice League #44 wasn't awesome. Johns is throwing the kitchen sink at this arc.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

This is total speculation, but I think it would be cool if Darkseid somehow managed to (minor JL #44 spoilers) take control of the Anti-Life Equation from the Anti-Monitor and that set up the next arc or a future story.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Aren't Dastardly Death of the Rogues and Road to Flashpoint only really worth reading if you're going to, you know, read Flashpoint? I think I'd want to read Flash: Rebirth before those two as well.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Looks like they're going to the well again with another multi-series Superman crossover in January. Not sure how excited I am for that.

Also saw they're reprinting Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. That'll be worth picking up.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Is there any specific stuff you need to be familiar with before reading Seven Soldiers? When I started reading comics last year I tried to read it because it was one of the most recommended series I saw, but I barely understood any of it.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Have DC even figured out the continuity of their current universe? Last I saw DiDio talk about it, it sounded like they had no clue what was in continuity and what was out, and their general attitude was that people could write whatever they wanted. I think they'd want to get that sorted out at least a little bit before worrying about creating a coherent shared universe.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/06/supergirl-comic-being-rushed-out-asap-but-in-the-meantime-heres-the-tp-bundle/

It will never not blow my mind that they didn't have a new Supergirl #1 ready to go the Wednesday after the show debuted.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm glad it's not just me. Lately I've been really disappointed by DC and I'm about 1-2 months away from doing a big drop in my pulls. So many of their major heroes and team books are just bad. Between Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman,, JLA, New Suicide Squad, and maybe Green Arrow, I think they all range from average at best to borderline awful at worst. And I'm still mad they took Valentine off Catwoman to do god knows what :mad:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That was a great issue of Gotham Academy this week. I love that book. Shame Kerschl is leaving though - his style was perfect for the tone of the series. And his drawing of Maps and Olive especially is something no other artist is likely to match.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Best set of solitics in a while. Sounds like pretty much everything involving Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman is being wrapped up. Wouldn't be too surprised if the big rumored creative reboot hits on all the issue #52s because, you know, it's DC. Slightly odd they didn't get Justice League #50 in with the rest if that's the big Darkseid War finale. Also going to be interesting to see what they do with that after Darkseid War ends - maybe a transition into the Aquaman crossover Johns was hinting at?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I didn't realize Tim Seeley was taking over New Suicide Squad. This sounds cool

http://www.newsarama.com/27256-tim-seeley-reaching-out-to-new-readers-with-new-suicide-squad.html

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

This might be where your post-holiday money is going then. Per Bleeding Cool, DC to move popular comics to twice per month.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/21/dc-comics-to-make-their-comic-books-go-bi-weekly/

I just finished moving a big chunk of my subscriptions to TPB only, so unfortunately this will probably only accelerate that process with DC.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If people got worked up over that Batgirl/Killing Joke cover, it's going to be a lot worse with this. Does that really say "To heel, bitch of Hercules"?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Superman Annual was cool. I wasn't too excited for the second Superman-wise crossover in six months, but that makes me a little more hopeful.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Volume 4 is part Morrison and part Waid. It's in there.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbu9nwIj-CI
Batgirl team talks about the inception of their Batgirl while Babs Tarr draws Batgirl.
I always like watching comic and manga artists draw for some reason. I'd watch any video like this.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Those... aren't the changes I was hoping for. I can't believe they're running the third Superman-wide crossover since June. Although it sort of does sound like they're clearing the decks for some big changes post-#52 (or it's just wishful thinking on my part).

Were people clamoring for a new creative team on Grayson?

All of the Superman books, Green Lantern and Batgirl all sound like they're being poised for new stuff after #52. I'd imagine the same for Flash and WW, but no real sign of that yet.

And it looks like Slash & Burn is cancelled at #6, unless it was previously announced as a mini and I didn't realize. Shame as I really liked it.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I wonder if Pak is off Action for good or if he's just on a break like the Grayson guys while Tomasi writes that 8 issue story.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That is a sign to me that I can lay off reading DC unless they can do some massive creative retooling and find some way to freshen up their stale characters. I probably pull 15-20 DC books right now and if I had to list the ones that I really like and look forward to reading each month, I doubt there would be more than 5 or 6. I'll wait for the #1 solicits (or a press release, which I guess is more likely to come first), but based on the past year or two of creator reshuffles and half-assed launches, I'm not hopeful.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

At least Legend of Wonder Woman is getting a monthly print release, unlike the new Supergirl which is apparently going straight from digital to TPB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Is the JL3K1 that came out this week the first issue of the ladies only team?

• Locked thread