Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Design is subjective
Wrongo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How?

I've been on a lot of places talking about the new designs and the same amount of people who doesn't like the design is roughly the same that likes it. Even in this very same forum there has been people who found the new design better than any other of Jason's designs.
How much you like a design is subjective. Whether a design is good or bad can be, and often is, objectively evaluated. For instance, no one will ever look at this:

and say it's a good design. Because it's not. It's awful. But it's supposed to be; that's the entire point. But I like it because it's exactly what a dumb young teen in the 70s would make as a costume she thinks is cool.

That said, I don't think the Red Hood costume is a bad design, per se, but it's about half a step removed from the UDON Taskmaster design, hoodie and all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If anything, it reeks of Johnsian Literalism to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why are they shooting at the Eiffel Tower and why is the first panel a shot of Red Hood's crotch?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What the gently caress is that costume?

"We want Guy to look like he's wearing his classic jacket but NOT be wearing his classic jacket!"

*Draws some lines on spandex and gives a high collar coming out of his shoulders*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, no, the brutal murder of a child that he is excited for is a few issues down the line.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daytripper is super good and totally wroth the $10.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

So these two are lovers now, right?

Like, they finally dropped Starfire who was their cover and just fully embraced the feelings for each other.

I'd be vaguely interested in this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't say I've ever fired a flamethrower at a friend in the shower.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Absolutely. Sure, it'd be bad if he suddenly and for no real reason turned into an unhinged tyrant or went Incorruptible on everyone, but that's not Superman.

Neither is wanting to kill people or wanting absolute power over the planet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

BatGordon is fighting pretty much every DC superhero right now, isn't he.

He's Batman now so first order of business is taking everyone down just to prove he can. It's like when you go to prison.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Was it the Weirdworld Secret Wars thing that had a map that was trying really hard to be Kirby recently?

Yeah, that's the one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait, can we roll back a bit?

What are these *good* Jason Todd stories people keep mentioning? Or is it purely hypothetical because I've never read anything good with him. That includes when Morrison wrote him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Scott Lobdell is a poo poo writer no matter what he who will not be named says.

Even Tom Riddle likes Generation X. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reminder when engaging WickedHate on superhero morality that she thinks Superman should take over earth and kill anyone who disagrees.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad the letterer wrote "BLAM!" 20 times so I know he is shooting a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think the execution is not great. It makes it look like Jason is shooting in a much wider arc than is at all necessary and that the art itself doesn't communicate.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Jason it IS shooting on a pretty wide arc. Just look at the guy he's shooting at
Place his arm such that his gun would be where those BLAM!s to his left are (for example, the one highest on the page) and he'd either be holding his gun extraordinarily awkwardly OR he's firing way off to his left/Clayface's right. He should be firing in a wide arc, sure, but not THAT wide.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

In non-lovely comics solicits:

People should be buying this comicbook.

Isn't that the last issue?

EDIT: "6 of 6" duh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

How do you reference a generic anime girl?

By taking one tiny design element and using it on another character, apparently.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

What's DCYOU?
It's DC's post New 52 branding where they try to make more inclusive comics with a variety of styles and story types.

Shockingly, the fans DC has been targeting for the past decade or so (40-something men) don't really care for Prez or Batgirl.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just saw the Tradd More variant for this week's JLA

Imagine Justice League looking like that. Was the Morrison/Porter era the last time the book's looked at all cartoony?
e: Whatever main JL comic there was at the time, I mean.

I really like Tradd Moore, but I'm not terribly convinced his art is right for traditional superheroes, and this really isn't helping that view.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

This isn't his fault but holy poo poo that Flash costume. How do you gently caress up that badly?

By drawing the New 52 Flash costume.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

What I really want to know is why isn't comicbook of the year Prez a Vertigo title?
What would be gained by letting the writer put "gently caress" in Prez?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

According to the Beat

Wars sell really well, it seems.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

http://www.kongregate.com/games/kthorjensen/press-x-to-jason

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Good thing this forum isn't a significant sample of the average comicbook reader isn't it?
There's currently 97 users browsing BSS, which would make for an acceptable sample size of comic readers who also read and post on online message boards.

But who cares.

Prez was really good again, guys. I want more Prez.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think Morrison's Batman is terrible, but as a whole, I don't think it's very good, either.

Definitely not as good as Prez!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Continued marginalization, maybe. He had already been pushed away before New 52 started.

I wouldn't put it even closest to biggest mistake, since its biggest mistakes affect virtually every book or at least large families of books rather than one specific character. Its single biggest mistake was not actually doing a hard reboot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

"DC on TV" sale
https://www.comixology.com/DC-on-TV-Sale/page/7917?DC-on-TV-Sale/page/7917=&list8022_pg=2
Including Gotham Academy, Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow run and iZombie.

Fiiiiiiiine I'll read Lemire's GA.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the coloring really isn't helping Medri's art.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is that bad? I thought Blond did a great job :ohdear:

The last couple pages you've shown are okay, but the uncolored art really shows an artist who's more comfortable working in graytones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Don't know what that means for JL3001.

I kind of wonder if Mike McKone isn't a more expensive artist than Howard Porter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mike McKone was Jeff Lemire's artist. Travel Foreman is Jeff Parker's.
(e: Though Paul Pelletier's current guest arc will make up half the issues if Foreman is on the last one.)
Same thoughts still apply.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'd usually agree with you but there has been a huge amount of inconsistency about Roy and Jason's looks lately.

First we had the cover for Titan's Hunt were Dick's wearing Jason's Robin suit for no real reason, despite Dick using the correct suit on both Grayson and B&R Eternal. Small thing right? Well, on the latest RH/A we have a flashback to Jason's Robin days and he's wearing Dick's suit.

Then you have that the boys have their N52 looks on the cover of RH/A #6 while the solicits for Robin War (We Are Robin #4) and the cover for B&R Eternal 9 have Jason on the jacket, but at the same time B&R Eternal 1 (cover and interiors) and Batman Superman 27's cover have Jason on the hoodie.

Is just baffling.

It's because none of this matters and makes zero difference to the story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Norns posted:

The best solution would have been to leave JASON TODD DEAD
There you go.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

So close enough together that it's probably a weird coincidence rather than outright plagiarism.

Athough Bucky coming back was, I think we can all agree (DT excepted) handled far better.
To be fair, the Jason Todd idea probably fermented from the Hush story from earlier.

Rhyno posted:

Which would have robbed us of the Under the Red Hood animated film, the best animated DC film to date.
It also would have robbed us of DT's fine posting, so I agree with your assessment that this would be a huge loss.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Buzz! Your art! Woof!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ahahahaha! Look who's back at the end of this week's Midnighter :)

I hope he still puts CDs in his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Probably Micro SD cards these days.

:thejoke:

• Locked thread