Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While it's doubtful I hope the Autoscorers come back. They were super fun and I just watched the Sympogear special featuring them and it really makes me wish we saw more of them. Particularly Garie and Micha who were killed off first compared to the less interesting Phara and Lieur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Both G and GX made me appreciate the previous seasons more by virtue of being pretty/utterly awful, so it is with some apprehension I look forwards to S4 and S5.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

While it's doubtful I hope the Autoscorers come back. They were super fun and I just watched the Sympogear special featuring them and it really makes me wish we saw more of them. Particularly Garie and Micha who were killed off first compared to the less interesting Phara and Lieur

:same:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
^^^ ya, the Garie and Micha stuff was fuckin cute. I liked the other two too, but their presence really didn't amount to much.

BlitzBlast posted:

Both G and GX made me appreciate the previous seasons more by virtue of being pretty/utterly awful, so it is with some apprehension I look forwards to S4 and S5.

I think GX was intended to try to cap off the unresolved plotlines and character situations from G, which it pretty much did. It didn't fix everything that I disliked about G, and most of the story business in the middle episodes wasn't handled very gracefully, but despite the squandered moments I still enjoyed the characters, music, and action. In the end I don't think GX was that much worse than G, and I enjoyed them both just fine. I think these two (???!) new seasons will have a relatively clean slate for the writers to play with. Also I've noticed each season has gotten more meta and influenced by the silliness of the OVA segments, so I bet it is going to get even funnier, weirder, and yuri-er. Tsubasa's combination of solemn warrior declarations and fretful idol behavior is the funniest thing, and you can tell Nana Mizuki really enjoys playing her at both extremes.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 28, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

G at least had the decency of having a pretty nice finale to make up for how weak the rest of the season was.

I still get annoyed when I think about how much GX utterly botched its last few episodes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

Phara and Lieur got less screentime combined than Garie got on her own, so it's not really surprising that Garie was a lot more memorable and interesting. Micha's shtick basically boiled down to "is crazy and loves fighting", so while she was pretty cute that would have grown stale if she had been around more.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

.Clash posted:

http://www.symphogear-gx.com/

Maybe you heard yesterday that Season 4 was coming. Well, have a season 5 too!
Supposedly they're also making a game, which can mean only one thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

Phara and Lieur got less screentime combined than Garie got on her own, so it's not really surprising that Garie was a lot more memorable and interesting. Micha's shtick basically boiled down to "is crazy and loves fighting", so while she was pretty cute that would have grown stale if she had been around more.

Micha other shtick was pretty much a child. Still I found her fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kaelan Zero posted:

I really want it to be a Platinum game, but I would also accept a Fire Emblem.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Platinum only do American 80's cartoon licences now.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Kaelan Zero posted:

Apparently they confirmed it was mobage at the live, but they should do this anyway

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Space Flower posted:

Apparently they confirmed it was mobage at the live, but they should do this anyway

N-no. Not like this.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hello symphogear thread. The autoscorers are so loving rad. They exist to rock up, effortlessly own all the existing characters who have been previously established as total badasses, bend their limbs into inhuman positions while rocking cool poses, and make terrifying grins. The mechanical doll aesthetic was well chosen.

They even made the noise scary again.

I guess a downside is that the good guys are jobbing to the autoscorers, in contrast to G where Division 2 was significantly more powerful than Fine in a straight-up fight, and Fine was too fractitious and working at cross purposes to be a real threat. 'Cause I was seriously rooting for Fine as the underdog in the middle of G.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hello i started watching symphogear some time last year and yes thank you i will take two more seasons of this because holy poo poo this show is loving incredible

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm somewhat surprised that Symphogear hasn't gotten a dub, but then I guess the singing requirement makes it a bit harder.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll do it

they'll all be sung in a deep baritone but sometimes you have to make concessions

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

chumbler posted:

I'm somewhat surprised that Symphogear hasn't gotten a dub, but then I guess the singing requirement makes it a bit harder.

Symphogear doesn't need a dub.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
symphogear gx ep8 update: thats a bad dad

one thing i like about the adults in this show is that they span the spectrum from awesome role models to irritating shits. commander and manager and ep1's astronauts and and ryoko fall into the former, vers and baddad fall into the latter

also, i knew i couldnt trust that elfnein

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

one thing i like about the adults in this show is that they span the spectrum from awesome role models to irritating shits. commander and manager and ep1's astronauts and and ryoko fall into the former, vers and baddad fall into the latter

Please do not disparage 9/11-chan.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Phobophilia posted:

Dad is top dad

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

GX is all about bad dads because the writer's dad died, but maaaaaan topdad was just an awfully handled character.

Also get ready for the tedious hell that is GX's "final act".

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sooooo, forums user The Colonel has caused me to watch the first two seasons of Symphogear. Not too long ago I finished S2. Towards the end I was pretty close to blackout drunk, but I feel it improved the experience tremendously.
This was some great stuff. I'm struggling to find words. It's firmly in So-Bad-It's-Good territory, but it also has genuinely great/funny/epic scenes. Every character is an idiot, but I just do not care. Most of the time, you just cannot believe it takes itself serious at all, but it's just so earnest! It's its own parody. Marvellous.

Here's to the absolute greatest character of the entire season - hell, BOTH seasons.

Pictured: The Many Faces of Humanity's Greatest Hero

Dr. Ver owns every scene he's in. He's a snivelling coward who is so blatantly evil, you can taste the ham. And not only that! While I hesitate to call any character in this show smart, given how low the relative threshold for that is, he dances circles around every single of these magical girls and continues being magnificently evil while probably pissing his pants.

Maria's a favorite too. I was kinda rooting for her, given how little things went her way. Also, her transforming armor cape was cool as hell and it's a grave crime we didn't get more action scenes with that. Not to mention - which should go without saying - that her emotional scenes consistently turn hilarious.

Pictured: I AM BECOME J-POP, DESTROYER OF WORLDS

Nope didn't work

Oh wait now it did

2nd place goes to the former title holder, kung fu boss. He didn't have as much to do this season besides sitting in a command chair and generally being a cool dude, but to make up for that, he got to bro out with his awesome ninja popstar manager assistant (DID THAT FUCKER JUST GO WANTED STYLE BULLET CURVING ON US? OH SHIIIIIIIT) and this magnificent gem of a scene.

Pictured: Chris what are you doing this is what you get for using artillery all the time you lazy piece of anime

With all that, I could almost say it's Season 1 all over again, only with more budget, and even more insane and dumb. Which is the best outcome. But of course... there's these two chucklefucks.

Pictured: Two huge idiots

Holy poo poo, these two.

Pictured: The villain cast being foiled by a whale balloon

They're like Symphogear in a can. Almost entirely isolated from the rest of the plot, they embody it all: contrived drama, silly costumes, nonsensical motivations, incredible dialogue, staggering incompetence, tryhard cutesy, weaponry both awesome and hilarious. I mean

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I love this dumb show. People weren't lying when they said it's basically B-Movie anime. I'll probably never know how much of the sheer hilarity is unintentional, but I don't care, I'm absolutely entertained. I haven't read much from this thread - I want to go into GX unspoiled to preserve gold nuggets like MOON DUNK or BULLET CURVING NINJA -, but it looks like GX isn't quite up to par; let's see how it goes.

Vote Ver

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Sooooo, forums user The Colonel has caused me to watch the first two seasons of Symphogear. Not too long ago I finished S2. Towards the end I was pretty close to blackout drunk, but I feel it improved the experience tremendously.
This was some great stuff. I'm struggling to find words. It's firmly in So-Bad-It's-Good territory, but it also has genuinely great/funny/epic scenes. Every character is an idiot, but I just do not care. Most of the time, you just cannot believe it takes itself serious at all, but it's just so earnest! It's its own parody. Marvellous.

Here's to the absolute greatest character of the entire season - hell, BOTH seasons.

Pictured: The Many Faces of Humanity's Greatest Hero

Dr. Ver owns every scene he's in. He's a snivelling coward who is so blatantly evil, you can taste the ham. And not only that! While I hesitate to call any character in this show smart, given how low the relative threshold for that is, he dances circles around every single of these magical girls and continues being magnificently evil while probably pissing his pants.

Maria's a favorite too. I was kinda rooting for her, given how little things went her way. Also, her transforming armor cape was cool as hell and it's a grave crime we didn't get more action scenes with that. Not to mention - which should go without saying - that her emotional scenes consistently turn hilarious.

Pictured: I AM BECOME J-POP, DESTROYER OF WORLDS

Nope didn't work

Oh wait now it did

2nd place goes to the former title holder, kung fu boss. He didn't have as much to do this season besides sitting in a command chair and generally being a cool dude, but to make up for that, he got to bro out with his awesome ninja popstar manager assistant (DID THAT FUCKER JUST GO WANTED STYLE BULLET CURVING ON US? OH SHIIIIIIIT) and this magnificent gem of a scene.

Pictured: Chris what are you doing this is what you get for using artillery all the time you lazy piece of anime

With all that, I could almost say it's Season 1 all over again, only with more budget, and even more insane and dumb. Which is the best outcome. But of course... there's these two chucklefucks.

Pictured: Two huge idiots

Holy poo poo, these two.

Pictured: The villain cast being foiled by a whale balloon

They're like Symphogear in a can. Almost entirely isolated from the rest of the plot, they embody it all: contrived drama, silly costumes, nonsensical motivations, incredible dialogue, staggering incompetence, tryhard cutesy, weaponry both awesome and hilarious. I mean

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I love this dumb show. People weren't lying when they said it's basically B-Movie anime. I'll probably never know how much of the sheer hilarity is unintentional, but I don't care, I'm absolutely entertained. I haven't read much from this thread - I want to go into GX unspoiled to preserve gold nuggets like MOON DUNK or BULLET CURVING NINJA -, but it looks like GX isn't quite up to par; let's see how it goes.

Vote Ver

John Wayne Vercingetorix is truly the hero we deserve.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I disagree with at least half of the things you say are dumb, but Shirabe and Kirika are indeed the best comically ineffective teen detectives.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Shirabe putting on her glasses to sneak through the base was one of the good points of GX. All the melodrama and straight faced seriousness just dragged it down.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ver was pretty much carrying all of FIS by himself, yes. He is legit the best and (GX spoilers)his reappearance in GX quite literally saved the show from being a complete waste of time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GX is also somewhat hurt by its first 6 minutes being peak Symphogear, and the rest of it just can't compare. It's still a lot of fun, but it probably is the weakest of the three.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Hello, thread. I am back from Japan.

The concert was lightyears better than the season, not that that was a very high bar to begin with.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Please tell me there was an IGNITE version of the Hibiki/Miku duet.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

BlitzBlast posted:

Please tell me there was an IGNITE version of the Hibiki/Miku duet.

They kept the dubstep to a minimum. Sorry for all WUBWUB fans.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

drat it all

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Up to episode 4 of GX now. Well, you weren't lying, first six minutes or so WERE, in fact, peak Symphogear. Awesome stuff. I would watch a series of nothing but scenes like this, with the flimsiest of excuses for stringing them together. gently caress you mountain. :haw:

Seriously, I'm somewhat wary of future episodes now given this thread's reaction, but these four episodes have certainly been an incredible start - better than the first two seasons, if you ask me. Oh, and the degree of anime lesbians seems to have risen exponentially, but little surprise there, you go girls. I'm a big fan of the new villains, too. The Autoscorers are simply delightful! Whacky anime girls, only mechanical, unhinged and somewhat creepy. The best way of utilizing anime girls. The scene that episode 4 closes on had some especially impressive action. Looks like we have a great villain cast this time around.

Except for Carol, she sucks.

Kinda couldn't take her seriously after her introduction. Yeah, tiny anime girl spouting emo lines, you go being broody and world-destroyingly and whatnot, boohoohoo daddy issues waaaaaaah. But I expected nothing but the finest melodrama, so let's see how much you can ham it up missy. Except that the gold standard is Dr. Ver, so you have a looooong way to go.
Speaking of which -

Darth Walrus posted:

John Wayne Vercingetorix is truly the hero we deserve.

:911: gently caress yeah

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Carol has her moments, and it amuses me that the big bad world ending villain has such an ordinary name, but yeah overall she's not as compelling a villain as Fine or Ver.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

people here overreact. season 3 is the dumbest and also the funnest season

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I think good storytelling is fun, so that's why I like season 1 the most

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think the autoscorers are crap, Carol is boring, Topdad is a tosser, Hibiki is overly whiny for the majority of the season, the fun cast like Genjuruoo don't do anything and outside of one scene right at the start the action is boring. So no, I don't like season 3. Even 2 is kind of meh, though GX did make the FIS girls better along with the Zesshoushinai OVAs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Davincie posted:

people here overreact. season 3 is the dumbest and also the funnest season

I don't want to spoil the high points of season 3, so I can only speak more generally which means being a bit more critical.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
how the heck does anybody not like season 2 or think that season 3 doesn't have any amazing action past the first episode

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know, by having my own opinion I guess. I just didn't care about any of the action in GX. Perhaps it's that the Auto-scorers clown the girls so easily and then gleefully leap to their death suggesting that none of the cast are actually winning or doing anything worthwhile and that the Auto-scorers were the real winners in it all despite being painfully dull? I did like that that one giant sister of one of the Auto-scorers didn't even appear when she attacked the sub, it just shook a bit as Genjuruoo shouted and then she was gone. That was loving hilarious as low points go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Chiming in that GX was awful and I only really made it through because I was bitching about it to friends as I shotgunned through all three seasons over Christmas break.

Episode 1 was the highpoint and everything after that just went down, down, down. I'm not exactly expecting high literature from a show about girls singing while they blow stuff up, but holy poo poo at least be amusing to watch like G was.

• Locked thread