Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

quote:

“The Liberals will deliver a Berlin Wall down the central spine of Sydney, dividing the CBD into east and west.

In the years after the transport war, the communist suburbs of the inner west would attempt to starve the residents of the east, depriving them of supplies for their chai lattes and economically critical gym and weightlifting equipment. Only through continual air-drops fuelled by Border Security Force F35 jets (and only on days without any rain, or cloud, or any other psychic disturbances which could affect aircraft instruments) were the eastern suburbs and capitalism saved.

Goddamn NSW Labor is doubling down on opposition at all costs. There's absolutely no reason why cars should be running through the very centre of the city to create a huge chokepoint, having solely trams and pedestrian areas is entirely sensible. And surely this would pit them against Sydney Council too?? I don't know who they think they're appealing to here.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Here In Australia horse racing is subject to Anti-money laundering laws but real estate and luxury cars are not.

This is unbelievable. I remember from my old job the large administration changes my company had to make for AML laws relating to share purchases/movements. Real estate is an obvious place to launder money, I can't believe there's nothing in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Suggesting that it's all money laundering is probably taking it a bit far. I'm not sure what incentive the Australian government has to crack down on it though, all that Chinese money is pretty good for our economy.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Money landering.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cartoon posted:

I doubt anything worthwhile will come of this but Pell really isn't looking very good here.

I dunno, this new pope seems to be pretty keen to reform the church.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

open24hours posted:

Suggesting that it's all money laundering is probably taking it a bit far. I'm not sure what incentive the Australian government has to crack down on it though, all that Chinese money is pretty good for our economy.

Yeah but now the boats have stopped they need another foreign invader to scare the voters with. They can't touch the 457 visa holders because then how would Important Election Campaign Donors get their hands on easily exploitable labour?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Why are we even stripping people of their dual citizenship? If we know who people are to strip them, wouldn't it be preferable to arrest them when they return and hold them to account?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

gay picnic defence posted:

Yeah but now the boats have stopped they need another foreign invader to scare the voters with. They can't touch the 457 visa holders because then how would Important Election Campaign Donors get their hands on easily exploitable labour?

Where will the other important campaign donors find people to buy their firetraps at inflated prices?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Nibbles! posted:

Why are we even stripping people of their dual citizenship? If we know who people are to strip them, wouldn't it be preferable to arrest them when they return and hold them to account?
This obvious flaw has been pointed out but is apparently not worth considering because :siren: TERROR!!!!! :siren:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

That is waaay too complicated for the government to come across as tough. If they really wanted to improve security they'd be using the people returning a propaganda against ISIS but that is too complicated too.

The point of stripping citizenship isn't to be effective, it is to create an impression for the voters.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Nibbles! posted:

It would if you believe in reform but this legislation is all about keeping undesirables out of our country.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

open24hours posted:

Where will the other important campaign donors find people to buy their firetraps at inflated prices?

I imagine they'll just introduce $500 home loan deposits for centerlink recipients or something and that will fill in the gap pretty fast.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

open24hours posted:

Suggesting that it's all money laundering is probably taking it a bit far.

You aren't allowed to take more than 50 thousand dollars out of China

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's only partially true.
http://www.scmp.com/business/banking-finance/article/1551510/how-elude-chinese-foreign-exchange-laws-take-your-pick-ways?page=all

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

quote:

Treasury secretary John Fraser appeared in Parliament today and did not mince his words:

“When you look at the housing price bubble evidence, it’s unequivocally the case in Sydney…certainly the case in higher priced areas in Melbourne.

It does worry me that the very low historical interest rates are encouraging people to perhaps over-invest in housing.

“You just have to see these renovation shows … to realise something is amiss.”

http://www.afr.com/real-estate/residential/sydney-unequivocally-in-housing-bubble-says-john-fraser-20150601-ghdv05

So how long has the treasury been telling the treasurer this?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

Those methods look awfully dodgy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I want the marriage bill to pass, but I'm also always prepared to be badly disappointed by Australia.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

I want the marriage bill to pass, but I'm also always prepared to be badly disappointed by Australia.

You will always be badly disappointed by Australia.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm optimistic about Australia. Specifically Brisbane.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Some people say the glass of piss is half empty, I say it is half full.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Anidav posted:

Some people say the glass of piss is half empty, I say it is half full.

No the piss glass is empty cause everyone keeps drinking from it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

I'm optimistic about Australia. Specifically Brisbane.

I bet you were optimistic about Bitcoin, too.

kingcom posted:

No the piss glass is empty cause everyone soag keeps drinking from it.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:psyduck:

Isn't real estate one of the best ways to launder money?

The best way to launder money is to run it through legitimate profit making businesses. All the big banks have existing schemes that will hold your hand through the process.

Depending on the volume of transaction, real estate is not as preferable because it's slow as you need to sell it to recover your money. Also someone's name will inevitably end up on the deed/register which is available for public viewing for a small fee which isn't the smartest thing to do if you're trying to hide money.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

kingcom posted:

No the piss glass is empty cause everyone keeps drinking from it.

It's a really big glass, and there's a lot of piss to go around

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

looool

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

what the gently caress

is that the reading of the marriage equality bill?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mithranderp posted:

what the gently caress

is that the reading of the marriage equality bill?

you got it in one

starkebn fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 1, 2015

Jintor
May 19, 2014

yes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Well, at least now I don't have to worry about the LNP taking credit for something good happening under them.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

God, Australia is poo poo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Tony Abbott is ruling his party with an iron fist.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What a pack of brattish, spoiled children

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
the adults are back in charge

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Quickly do the second and third reading while they are away Bill

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So wait, does that mean that because they didn't show up, only labour can vote on it, or is it that there won't be enough people to pass it?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Surely there has to be shenanigans they can pull in these instances. Not that they would, but what is the limit when the government doesn't show up to the chamber?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't it doomed anyway if Tony doesn't support it?

(idk how these things work)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
The quorum is 30 for the HoR

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Thanks Mr. Underwood.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Cartoon posted:

We are number 1! :australia:

Thanks to our efforts, other countries north of us are getting on the turn back the boats wagon. Soon we won't be number one and we can stop buying lovely Vietnamese fishing boats to push people to possible death at sea. Of course, the end goal here must be some sort of Kevin Costners Water World. Right?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

So they have a quorum but because Labor is poo poo it wouldn't pass? Noice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This is just the first reading, they're not voting on it yet.

bowmore posted:

Isn't it doomed anyway if Tony doesn't support it?

(idk how these things work)

It's doomed without at least a Liberal conscience vote.

I think there's actually a majority within Labor that support SSM, but I can't see it passing (under a Coalition government) without both a Liberal conscience vote and a Labor binding vote. Under a hypothetical Labor government it might be possible to get away with conscience votes on both sides.

• Locked thread