Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm a little ignorant on parliamentary procedures, what's the smallest amount of time that can pass between the first reading and getting a bill voted on? In the event of the government doing something like that again could Labor somehow sneak it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Can Labor start pulling smart-rear end tactics like trying to suspend standing orders, calling for divisions etc. to make everyone dash back to the chamber?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
no confidence in speaker motion?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Senor Tron posted:

I'm a little ignorant on parliamentary procedures, what's the smallest amount of time that can pass between the first reading and getting a bill voted on? In the event of the government doing something like that again could Labor somehow sneak it in?

It really depends. After the second reading it's debate time and whilst this is listed as commencing at the next sitting, in reality it gets pushed back. If both sides agree they could do it quick, and there's really not much to consider since I believe it's only amending a single sentence in the Marriage Act.

One third of the House of Reps must be present to constitute a sitting so whilst it could happen there's no chance the Libs would avoid the vote altogether.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

GrandMaster posted:

Can Labor start pulling smart-rear end tactics like trying to suspend standing orders, calling for divisions etc. to make everyone dash back to the chamber?
The problem with doing this is that Abbott is very clearly going with "It's Labor's fault for ruining gay marriage by playing political games :saddowns:". Actually fuelling this would make it easier for him to get Liberal MPs onside.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Shorten's bill isn't going to be voted on. There will be another one in a few months that will be bi-partisan and will pass.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yeah, it's probably worth noting that no government is going to let a massive bill get through that they didn't introduce or at the least co-introduce. That been said Plibersek I understand offered to stand aside for a Liberal to second the bill if they want.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

A Victoria Police computer has been used to heavily edit a Wikipedia page about the death of 15-year-old Tyler Cassidy, removing sentences critical of the force's handling of the incident in which he was shot and killed.

The edits are among hundreds recorded on Wikipedia pages from Internet Protocol addresses registered to Victoria Police, an investigation by Fairfax Media has revealed.

Tyler Cassidy was shot by police at the All Nations skate park near Northcote Plaza in December 2008 after he ran at police brandishing two knives, sparking claims that police had overreacted. A coronial investigation cleared police of wrongdoing, but found that police should significantly improve training on dealing with vulnerable young people.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, Bronwyn Bishop. How can the ALP get rid of her?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't know if it's fair to pin Labor's inability to do anything on Bronwyn Bishop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, I wasn't making that connection at all, she's just unbelievably petty and shamelessly biased and it'd be cool if someone punted her into a volcano or something.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Oh, I wasn't making that connection at all, she's just unbelievably petty and shamelessly biased and it'd be cool if someone punted her into a volcano or something.

Unless you find her phylactery that won't do any good.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

kingcom posted:

Unless you find her phylactery that won't do any good.

She strikes me as arrogant enough to carry it with her, thinking that no plucky band of adventurers will defeat her.

So the volcano trick should work as long as you throw all her treasure in with her.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

ACA...Wikipedia trolls?

This is unbelievable, and I hope it's only one weird police desk jockey doing it rather than some sort of policy.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

quote:

'I do hope our housing prices are increasing': Tony Abbott quizzed on housing bubble

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has welcomed increasing house prices in Sydney on the same day the head of Treasury voiced strong concerns about a developing housing bubble in the country's largest city.

Asked by Labor leader Bill Shorten about John Fraser's comments earlier on Monday, Mr Abbott said housing affordability was important but that home owners like him would prefer to see house prices continue to rise in Sydney.

"As someone who, along with the bank, owns a house in Sydney I do hope our housing prices are increasing," Mr Abbott said in question time on Monday.

"I want housing to be affordable but nevertheless, I also want house prices to be modestly increasing.

"The important thing is to ensure that our economy is as strong as possible so that people have as much resources at their disposal as possible, have jobs, so they can go out there and buy the things they need, including the housing that they need."

Mr Abbott said that if Mr Shorten was concerned that "things are happening that shouldn't be happening" in the housing market then he should support the government's small business package to help stimulate the economy.

Earlier in the day, the Treasury secretary delivered his strongest warning about housing affordability, saying he was worried an over-investment in housing spurred by low interest rates has led to housing bubbles in Sydney and parts of Melbourne.

"It does worry me that the historically low level of interest rates are encouraging people to perhaps over-invest in housing," Mr Fraser told Senate estimates hearings.

"I'm not talking just about buying housing, I'm talking about investing in housing. You've just gotta see a plethora of these renovation shows to realise something's amiss."

Mr Fraser said the major drivers of the housing bubble were low interest rates and easy access to finance, saying he was concerned about the amount of money being poured into the housing market with rates so low.

But the evidence of a housing bubble in the rest of Australia was not strong, he said.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
lol god drat he's a piece of poo poo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
:suicide:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

He's just endorsed a significant increase to low to medium incomes, surely not just political double speak :v:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
what a fuckhead

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No mention of boats?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
as a future slumlord

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Pointless babble with a mildly controversial and "bumbling" quote that's actually been meticulously planned to get people talking about the budget again. The non sequitur into the small business stimulus screams him trying to get people talking about the budget again

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

I, Butthole posted:

Pointless babble with a mildly controversial and "bumbling" quote that's actually been meticulously planned to get people talking about the budget again. The non sequitur into the small business stimulus screams him trying to get people talking about the budget again

I thought he wanted people to talk about the death cult.

I don't think he knew about the treasury secretary's comments so he just made something up.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
"The institution of marriage came from religion, it was adopted by the state and I have always been a firm believer in the separation of church and state and the main reason for that is it protects the church and I think the church’s institutions do need to be protected."

- Scott Morrison

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I thought he wanted people to talk about the death cult.

but we are, it's the treasury department, right?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

adamantium|wang posted:

"The institution of marriage came from religion, it was adopted by the state and I have always been a firm believer in the separation of church and state and the main reason for that is it protects the church and I think the church’s institutions do need to be protected."

- Scott Morrison

:stare:

What the gently caress are they teaching people in private schools

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Poor tones took out a fuckhuge mortgage to fund his lifestyle after the election loss in 2007.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

adamantium|wang posted:

- Scott Morrison

I actually don't want to know if this is a real quote. My fingers are crossed so hard it's from another SBS satire article that's so in keeping my expectations I only realise it's satire near the end.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

adamantium|wang posted:

- Scott Morrison

scott morrison is a fuckwit, who'd've thunk it

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zetsubou-san posted:

but we are, it's the treasury department, right?
No silly that's a debt cult!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Splode posted:

I'm not surprised this garbage comes from an evangelical, their history education is incredibly biased and spun for advantage. If you showed him the facts, he'd claim it was atheist propaganda.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Tommofork posted:

I actually don't want to know if this is a real quote. My fingers are crossed so hard it's from another SBS satire article that's so in keeping my expectations I only realise it's satire near the end.

This government keeps making me think of the kids learning about it in 50 years and being like "what the gently caress was wrong with these people", like we did when we were learning about the gold rush, the menzies era, etc. Like, these quotes are going to be like that WW2 one about not "importing a race problem".

ewe2 posted:

I'm not surprised this garbage comes from an evangelical, their history education is incredibly biased and spun for advantage. If you showed him the facts, he'd claim it was atheist propaganda.

I still don't understand how liberal economics made a come back. Did everyone just forget that the great depression happened?

Splode fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 1, 2015

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Splode posted:

This government keeps making me think of the kids learning about it in 50 years and being like "what the gently caress was wrong with these people", like we did when we were learning about the gold rush, the menzies era, etc. Like, these quotes are going to be like that WW2 one about not "importing a race problem".

you're just thinking of morrison again

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I support the notion of family. *slashes benefits*

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
scott morrison simply must drink the piss

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Splode posted:

I still don't understand how liberal economics made a come back. Did everyone just forget that the great depression happened?

No, but they remember Huey P. Long and that other dangerous firebrand Roosevelt and don't want a repeat performance.

Tommofork posted:

http://scottmorrison.dss.gov.au/transcripts/2gb-ray-hadley-9

And just in case he hides it:

http://pastebin.com/ax9G8GqH

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 1, 2015

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Splode posted:

Yes

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I don't think he knew about the treasury secretary's comments so he just made something up.

Yeah it sounds like he went freelancing, a dangerous move for an idiot to make.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

quote:

HADLEY: Did Malcolm Turnbull get cross with you?

MINISTER MORRISON: No, look Malcolm and I as you know we’re good friends and we can have discussions…

HADLEY: Did he get cross with you? Did he say “Scott I am very cross with you.”

MINISTER MORRISON: No. No he didn’t.

HADLEY: Did he use that tone?

MINISTER MORRISON: Malcolm respects my views, I respect his.

HADLEY: I know that you wouldn’t swear at anyone in the Ministry but if he were to say “Scott I am very cross with you.” Would you say ‘bugger off’ Malcolm?

MINISTER MORRISON: I wouldn’t care because look you have to have robust debates in Cabinet.

HADLEY: Well it’s not robust it is fair dinkum, its handbags at ten paces. “I’m cross!”

MINISTER MORRISON: Well I am in there I know what goes on and…

HADLEY: Well so does everyone else now thanks to everyone leaking it.

Also lol:

quote:

I mean for example what does all this mean for religions such as - any churches or mosques for that matter or synagogues? What are the protections for them about being discriminated against if they refuse to marry people in that situation?

We have to delay this issues to best decide how to protect people's ability to discriminate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Splode posted:

Believe it or not, Scott Morrison went to a public school.

A selective public school, but it wasn't a Christian education.

• Locked thread