Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
So I'm wanting to play an MMO again, but I cant really make a choice, so I'm hoping someone here can help. Also preferably something my girlfriend can play with me after her new rig is up and running that'll allow us to coop a bit.
Played WoW/EQ2/Auto Assault (christ)/Guild Wars 1/Planetside 1 + 2, SWG... etc. etc. Could never really settle unless I had a decent guild.

Basically, I want to know what goons think here. SWTOR/Guild Wars 2/Archeage/ESO? Something else? Why? I've read the OP's on them, looked at videos etc. Also an active goon guild would be awesome.

I'm horribly indecisive and work/band has me left with little free time to dip into one after the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
FF14 is currently the golden boy of the MMO HMO subforum, and has a very large goon population. Biggest difficulty is probably trying to get onto Excalibur (which is where the bulk of said population plays); you'll have the best luck trying to create a character early morning US time.

You can grab the trial here. My referral code is DFJNEZUT if you want to punch that in.

EDIT: Replaced the code with a new one just in case.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 31, 2015

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Technogeek posted:

FF14 is currently the golden boy of the MMO HMO subforum, and has a very large goon population. Biggest difficulty is probably trying to get onto Excalibur (which is where the bulk of said population plays); you'll have the best luck trying to create a character early morning US time.

You can grab the trial here. My referral code is DFJNEZUT if you want to punch that in.

EDIT: Replaced the code with a new one just in case.

Thanks for the code! I'll wait for a few more replies, but it does seem like the go to here. <3

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Of the games you've listed, what was it about each that you liked or hated? That might help narrow down the options a bit.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
"Active goon guild"

This is a sought after and rare thing. We have guilds set up in most mmos, but it's really about your timing and catching the goonhype wave. Also willingness to goodpost in the thread for that game, generate content and attention for other goons, and being in comms help a ton to keep people playing and attract new players.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Inimicul posted:

Of the games you've listed, what was it about each that you liked or hated? That might help narrow down the options a bit.

Good idea dude.

WoW was easy to get into, had friends playing. Got annoyed with autistic 45 year olds screaming on ventrilo though.

EQ2 was nice and expansive, lorey, bit deeper, had a more mature playerbase, I guess.

GW1 again was with friends. Did enjoy the PvP.

SWG was SWG (pre cu).

I'm downloading the FF14 trial right now as I got a call saying I can take tomorrow off because the client I'm supposed to meet changed his flight and I'm ahead of my workload so :iia:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ChickenWyngz posted:

Got annoyed with autistic 45 year olds screaming on ventrilo though.

I feel like you may be barking up the wrong tree

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
gw2 is pretty chill but it doesn't have an endgame

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Thunderbro posted:

gw2 is pretty chill but it doesn't have an endgame

No endgame as in no raiding or no PvP endgame?

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWyngz posted:

No endgame as in no raiding or no PvP endgame?

The endgame is cosmetic. And loggin in on Friday night for reset (which is fun!)

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

FireWhizzle posted:

The endgame is cosmetic. And loggin in on Friday night for reset (which is fun!)

I like the art style a good bit more than FF14 :(

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

ChickenWyngz posted:

Got annoyed with autistic 45 year olds screaming on ventrilo though.

We can also rule out EVE even though it wasn't on your list. Don't let it get on your list.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Inimicul posted:

We can also rule out EVE even though it wasn't on your list. Don't let it get on your list.

I actually tried EVE a few times, got a minmatar battlecruiser thingy and a decent corp. Just wasn't for me. I can see how the people who like it love it, though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'll give FF14 my vet. The strongest argument I can make for it is that it has competent designers at the helm who respond quickly to issues, attempt to cater (and largely succeed) to a wide variety of playstyles, and have an extremely consistent content release schedule (a major content patch every 3 months since the game released, with the exception of the lead-up period to the expansion). It's easy to get in to for new players and has a lot of great quality-of-life features (like the Armory System). It also has what is hands-down the best storyline I've seen in an MMO, and while this is an admittedly low bar, it's held my interest throughout and has shown nothing but improvement since the first major storyline patch dropped.

It's otherwise very similar to WoW in terms of combat mechanics and gearing/leveling, so if you enjoy that, and don't mind paying a subscription, it seems like a good bet.

Also, as far as active goon guilds go, FF14 has two (the first one hit the player cap of 500~ really early on): Please Be Careful and Dragongod Knightkings. There's plans for a third because DGKK is almost (already?) filled up, and this is with frequent Stalinist purges of inactives by The Chairman. There's a huge number of active players in both guilds, so you'll never be at want for company.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 31, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

ChickenWyngz posted:

Basically, I want to know what goons think here. SWTOR/Guild Wars 2/Archeage/ESO? Something else? Why? I've read the OP's on them, looked at videos etc. Also an active goon guild would be awesome.

I'm horribly indecisive and work/band has me left with little free time to dip into one after the other.

SWTOR - Borderline Abandoned Project with very little content updates, Monthly sub format poorly retrofitted into Free to play causing all kinds issues with how you monotize. (I think they still charge you to add hotbars or something) Some of the classes have good storylines(Imp Agent) and is currently being played by people as a Single player game that happens to be multiplayer.

GW2 - PvP heavy focus game with a large expansion on its way. Closest thing to a better WoW format for their PvE. Good world design and is still has a big playerbase. I would suggest you start with this even though I loving despise their customer support.

Archeage - Korean MMO with Trion as a publisher has bad reputation for dropping the ball with events and changes. Game is interesting with player housing, trade route and sea battle systems but the goon population literally ate itself and the game's endgame content is nearly non-existant until some more rolling updates appear.

ESO - IP pushed without much thought into what makes the IP fun. This is not Skyrim Online. They added classes and theme park dynamics to make the game cookie cutter and linar. You get a bit of player freedom by using different weapons and armor but good luck moving some classes out of their role zone without issue. The game is notorious for launching without an endgame so they instead restart your rear end in a "Vet Rank" in the other factions starting zone to replay the entire story of the other factions ... all three of them. Super loving grindy. Design is a mess.

EVE - You want no part in this.

FF14 - Straight sparkly theme park with detestable goons. This is currently the best you can do for theme park PvE games. Square Enix pulled their heads out of their asses and remade the entire game with effort so now it is good and has an active playerbase with a good patching consistency.

TERA - Don't touch this if you want to keep your girlfriend. The game is good action combat mixed with pedophiles and peak scantly clad women sex idols.

The Secret World - Game is teetering on death in population but I only mention it because I love it and the storyline is amazing. This is the best writing you will ever get in an MMO that plays like a single player game. Game works well with small groups of friends as you can group with any faction. I only recommend this game if you dig the setting "Lovecraftian Modern Horror".

Upcoming Games "Some" of us are looking forward to:

Skyforge
Black Desert
Moonlight Blade
The Repopulation

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

Upcoming Games "Some" of us are looking forward to:

Skyforge
Black Desert
Moonlight Blade
The Repopulation

Maplestory 2
Tree of Savior

:colbert:

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Drinkfist posted:

Archeage - Korean MMO with Trion as a publisher has bad reputation for dropping the ball with events and changes. Game is interesting with player housing, trade route and sea battle systems but the goon population literally ate itself and the game's endgame content is nearly non-existant until some more rolling updates appear.

couldn't contain myself from laughter

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

dominoeffect posted:

couldn't contain myself from laughter

This isn't something new when you pile goons in high numbers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Drinkfist posted:

This isn't something new when you pile goons in high numbers.

FF14 is drama free and has been for a long time :shrug:

I think it more has to certain games attracting the more socially maladjusted goons.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

It's called PVP. GW2 and FFXIV both have big and active goon populations and neither has had any drama to speak of.

And while GW2 can be mistaken for a PVP game, it's really just a game that treats opposing players as mob npcs.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

FF14 goons are mostly catboys/ladies, but it's a good game

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Are you the type to go heavy deep into endgame content and stick with a game or are you the type to be a MMO tourist, jumping from one launch to another following the goon hype?

For the former, FF14 has legs to stay, the run to the level cap is genuinely enjoyable. For the latter, The Repopulation is in early access and the thread looks to be swelling with this being the wierd spergy game of the season.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

FF14 is drama free

lol

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

FF14 is drama free and has been for a long time :shrug:

I don't know they seem pretty wound up and hostile to me.

KaneTW posted:

No one wants to have anything to do with you ever, so just kindly gently caress off.

The Chairman posted:

No. Yes. Don't come back.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Make like Tails and :fuckoff:

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
gw2 is a cool game for laid back dudes and dudettes who just want to chill and have a good time killing dragons/other players.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Drinkfist posted:

I don't know they seem pretty wound up and hostile to me.

Are you the dude who went on big talks about how you wnated to gently caress catgirls every day constantly and then stole a bunch of poo poo out of the bank, before going to impzone and bragging about it and talking about how uptight FF14 goons are??? because I remember when that happened.

Edit: Nevermind that was Bonzai Buddy, sorry drinkfist.

In my experience the only time FF14 drama happens is when someone decides to get ironically creepy, but I only played for two months and then quit, and that was like a year ago.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 1, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Are you the dude who went on big talks about how you wnated to gently caress catgirls every day constantly and then stole a bunch of poo poo out of the bank, before going to impzone and bragging about it and talking about how uptight FF14 goons are??? because I remember when that happened.

Edit: Nevermind that was Bonzai Buddy, sorry drinkfist.

In my experience the only time FF14 drama happens is when someone decides to get ironically creepy, but I only played for two months and then quit, and that was like a year ago.

I was the guy that got some disgusting girl goon to lose her poo poo when I was making fun of her. Previous attempts at suicide was brought up during the conversation and it didn't stop me from calling her out on her bullshit. I also bitched out super goons that left the main guild to do raids and kept pulling our geared 50s into their fold making the guild worthless in a dungeon run. Didn't take long for the combined offenses to get me banned from "Please be Careful" in the interest that my hatred was like a wrecking ball to those kids.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Drinkfist posted:

I was the guy that got some disgusting girl goon to lose her poo poo when I was making fun of her. Previous attempts at suicide was brought up during the conversation and it didn't stop me from calling her out on her bullshit. I also bitched out super goons that left the main guild to do raids and kept pulling our geared 50s into their fold making the guild worthless in a dungeon run. Didn't take long for the combined offenses to get me banned from "Please be Careful" in the interest that my hatred was like a wrecking ball to those kids.

Tl;dr you literally created drama where there was none before, got banned, and then there was no drama? :v:

As you yourself have said before Drink, you don't really play MMOs. You've internalized the Trolling Goon myth as a thing to aspire to and in your own words I believe you said you play "Goons the MMO" or something like that.

The thing is that's mostly fun in bad games. Nobody wants to put up with that poo poo in good ones.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 1, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
enjoying antagonizing strangers for no reason is actually really weird and you're probably strange if you purposefully do it

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
space invader, throne gems, oh dear, the time where dgkk officers were planning on splintering off, people getting buttmad about getting/not getting the personal rooms in the basement of the fc, people getting mad that people in the fc wouldn't carry them through content and the ceaseless unending stream of bullshit and whining that goes on in the sa thread an every linkshell. i could go on. great community, would recommend

the sky is blue, grass is green, and the xiv goon guilds have stupid drama all the time. things are only quietish now because people are too busy jacking it to the expansion info

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Ffxiv is a lot of fun in a dumb casual sense and 90% of the goons playing are good natured and easy going. The whole "people splitting off and formed their own hardcore group" was irrelevant since FFXIV doesn't cater to that poo poo at all. I'm pretty sure most of that group quit the game anyways because they devoured themselves, that's what those kinds of groups do inherently.

I don't remember why everyone told you to gtfo drinky, but I'm sure you did something dumb/mean and you might be an idiot.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Velthice posted:

people getting mad that people in the fc wouldn't carry them through content

mfw people in the fc told me they were waiting for the fc to carry them through hardmode titan instead of joining a group i was trying to make

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velthice posted:

space invader, throne gems, oh dear, the time where dgkk officers were planning on splintering off, people getting buttmad about getting/not getting the personal rooms in the basement of the fc, people getting mad that people in the fc wouldn't carry them through content and the ceaseless unending stream of bullshit and whining that goes on in the sa thread an every linkshell. i could go on. great community, would recommend

the sky is blue, grass is green, and the xiv goon guilds have stupid drama all the time. things are only quietish now because people are too busy jacking it to the expansion info

One of the fc officers flipped out at me because I took a bunch of super cheap crafting materials (costing a few hundred gil total) out of the fc vault, and then he lied about me taking other stuff to try to get me booted. That was fun.

If you do play FF14 just join a cool linkshell and ignore everything going on in the FCs. FC chat is about what you'd expect when you have hundreds of goons talking at the same time.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Fister Roboto posted:

One of the fc officers flipped out at me because I took a bunch of super cheap crafting materials (costing a few hundred gil total) out of the fc vault, and then he lied about me taking other stuff to try to get me booted. That was fun.

If you do play FF14 just join a cool linkshell and ignore everything going on in the FCs. FC chat is about what you'd expect when you have hundreds of goons talking at the same time.

This is probably decent advice.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rexicon1 posted:

This is probably decent advice.

def. don't get me wrong, i love xiv, but go into it with realistic expectations. there are some cool peeps hanging around but mostly it's goons being goons

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

The real secret is to join goon linkshells and then join a pubbie FC because if drama happens it's just really funny

also the pubbie fc I joined is pretty awesome, we just sit around crafting in our mansion and making anime butt jokes all day

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Thanks to all of you for the replies. I'll be checking out FF14 and GW2. Much love.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
There are no good MMOs, so don't play them.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The best part of mmos is the broken people who play them make for good laughs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Wish that were true so MMO HMO was actually funny.

• Locked thread