Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Have you tried heroin, OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KittyEmpress posted:

bonzibuddy64

Don't forget all the awesome free games he wrangled goons to giving him and then straight up scamming people on SA:Mart. He will live on forever in our hearts. :911:

Drinkfist posted:

pulling our geared 50s into their fold making the guild worthless in a dungeon run.

this is why I don't play MMOs anymore because this is a thing that can happen in them not the whole stupid idiot drama about things that don't matter the part where you have to do a lot of tedious dumb bullshit to play dungeonmans properly with your internet pals

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 2, 2015

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Berke Negri posted:

Wish that were true so MMO HMO was actually funny.

It's pretty funny

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

OP, I am going to recommend that you start with GW2 and see where it takes you. Especially since you mentioned playing with your significant other. That game is easily the most "couple friendly" MMO on the market right now by far for a lot of reasons. The thread for that game is pretty darn good here and there are two highly active goon guilds for you to join (this game lets you join multiple guilds).

Knoxx
Oct 6, 2009
I've been really enjoying GW2 and my fiance has been playing it with. She really enjoys the PvP that we have done so far and she enjoy just running around exploring things. All in all, great game. Wait for it to go on sale again to pick it up for $10-15 if you don't want to pay full price.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Thanks folks for your suggestions! Started Guild Wars 2, having a ton of fun with [GOON].

Much love

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

FF14 is good, TERA is good, but you should have your gf vet it first. TSW is good for the story, not for the endgame. Fun to do stuff with 2 people though. Otherwise WoW is pretty boring nowadays and GW2/etc never piqued my interest.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Whats happening in EVE that has everyone saying "you want no part of this"? I traded my account for platinum here quite some time ago, and left the game when I realized I'd just be permanently chasing a carrot on a stick.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Literally the only joy in eve is in scamming people out of in-game money or ships, unless you count the 30 seconds of actual combat you might get in a 5 hour group looking for trouble.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Black Noise posted:

Whats happening in EVE that has everyone saying "you want no part of this"? I traded my account for platinum here quite some time ago, and left the game when I realized I'd just be permanently chasing a carrot on a stick.

Black Noise posted:

left the game when I realized I'd just be permanently chasing a carrot on a stick.

What other answer to the question do you want?

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
all that plus its spreadsheets in space and no normal person finds any entertainment in that kind of gameplay

Daemonlasher
Dec 31, 2012

SOULS?

a real jerk posted:

FF14 goons are mostly catboys/ladies, but it's a good game

:negative: I perpetuate this stereotype.

e: Thought you were talking about GW2, tripping out. :goshawk:

Daemonlasher fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 4, 2015

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
GW2 is the best MMO of all time if you never liked the traditional endgame gear progression and holy trinity systems and EVE is not your thing. If you did though, you will find it lacking after a while. However, it is still definitely worth playing.

FF14 is basically WoW with a FF skin which is not meant negatively, I however found it a little bit slow and odd at times. Didn't keep my interest for longer than a month but it was good fun while it lasted.

WoW still has the best PvE raiding endgame as far as I know, made even better this expansion by introducing a new, pug-friendly difficulty and the flexible raid size sytems, but naught else.

TERA is a horrible Korean RNG grinder with a drat good combat system I wish finally some good developer adopted. I cannot recommend it, even though I am currently playing it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You made the right choice, OP.
GW2 is pretty great and will get, hopefully, much better with the skill revamp coming before the expansion.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
you should try this one op, it's a bit old skool but a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4mKwmvV3a8

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ChickenWyngz posted:

Also preferably something my girlfriend can play with me...

...an active goon guild would be awesome.

...work/band has me left with little free time to dip into one...
You definitely made the right choice with GW2. The most progressive MMO with carefree gameplay, friendly coop and two very active guilds.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

It's been a ton of fun so far =)

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Drinkfist posted:

The Secret World - Game is teetering on death in population but I only mention it because I love it and the storyline is amazing. This is the best writing you will ever get in an MMO that plays like a single player game. Game works well with small groups of friends as you can group with any faction. I only recommend this game if you dig the setting "Lovecraftian Modern Horror".

This is still my favorite MMO ever. I wish it wasn't on life support. :( We need more modern horror mmorpgs and i'm afraid this one did so poorly that we'll never see that genre again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gawain The Blind posted:

This is still my favorite MMO ever. I wish it wasn't on life support. :( We need more modern horror mmorpgs and i'm afraid this one did so poorly that we'll never see that genre again.

TSW was one of those that I kept thinking, "That's a really cool idea but I can't justify a sub these days. I'll wait for a while. Then it goes F2P and the community dies. Maybe I'll pick it up and play through as much of the content solo when possible.
I mean, I did the same thing for GW1.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Wildstar sounds like the game for you!

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Inzombiac posted:

TSW was one of those that I kept thinking, "That's a really cool idea but I can't justify a sub these days. I'll wait for a while. Then it goes F2P and the community dies. Maybe I'll pick it up and play through as much of the content solo when possible.
I mean, I did the same thing for GW1.

It's still fun as gently caress as long as you're willing to solo everything you can solo, and spend way too long trying to find a good group for dungeons. Since its so story driven anyway it works as a solo rpg pretty well, and is totally worth it, especially if you can get it cheap. Steam summer sale coming soon...

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

some of us are stuck with lifetime subs to tsw, so if you yell in the tsw thread that you want to do dungeon content at some point to be determined in the future you can probably get some people together to do it

and there really isn't a whole lot of content you need a group for because, for once, you can unironically say that the questing/leveling stuff in tsw is actual content instead of bear asses

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I just felt the need to chime in here. I was super excited for Guild Wars 2 in the year+ leading up to its release, but it kind of fell off my radar by the time it came out. I finally got around to playing it starting about 2 months ago, and I have to say it's been exceptionally enjoyable. It's gorgeous, of course, but the level of care that has gone into everything is just really self-evident: the visuals, the audio, the "game-feel," for lack of a better word - it's fun to just run around and hit stuff, in a way that makes going back to the old style of MMO combat feel plodding and restrictive.

I'd heard plenty of good things about TERA, so I poked my head in there for just long enough to get through the tutorial area, but even just having played GW2 for a little while at that point it still felt too much like the Everquest/WoW model. (The excessive pandering certainly didn't do it any favors either; GW2 has its share of belly-armor, but I have a femNorn who's 3/4ths of the way to max level and she hasn't had a bared midriff or just-the-breastsplate the entire time.)

On top of all that, the goons playing GW2 are super friendly and helpful. I rep GOON most of the time and love it; plus the folks in SFD saw me in World v. World and invited me to join them for their WvWednesday shenanigans, which has been good fun so far.

I think it's fair to say that the game has a strong PvP element, in that the combat has been designed from the ground up to support PvP and particularly Structured PvP, i.e., 5-v-5 team matches based around point control. But calling PvP a "heavy focus" of GW2 is, to me, doing a disservice to the PvEnvironment gameplay, which is solidly enjoyable, contains no PvP at all, and is arguably one of the friendliest, most-cooperative MMO experiences around (due to the ways quest- and kill-experience are handled). I would hope no one passes up Guild Wars because they think it's a PvP game.

TL;DR - Guild Wars 2 is a wonderful game made more wonderful by active, friendly goons, and I would recommend it to anyone. If your MMO is currently dying/imploding/soul-killing, come check it out. :birddrugs:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Out of the current crop, GW2 and FFXIV are the clear choices.

GW2 emphasizes open world content, large-scale PvP with sieges and zergs, and structured PvP that goes out of its way to put everyone on an even level gear-wise. As in, you can jump into PvP on a level 2 character and be bumped up to level 80 with all of your skills unlocked and access to whatever gear stat combinations you want. Plus, like everyone said, both goon guilds on GW2 are helpful and will go out of their way to include you in fun things.

FFXIV, on the other hand, has a really impressive content update rate, incredible music, a good story, and is generally pretty fun. Its combat is slower than many other MMOs due to a longer global cooldown on abilities, but it's balanced around that so I think it works out pretty well. If what you want is lots of group PvE content to do, FFXIV is your game. It's also steeped in FF nostalgia, with references to just about every FF game somewhere. There's a whole raid dungeon that's an extended FF3 homage, for example.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Harrow posted:

It's also steeped in FF nostalgia, with references to just about every FF game somewhere. There's a whole raid dungeon that's an extended FF3 homage, for example.

FF3, or FFIII? :downs:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

FF3, or FFIII? :downs:

The real third FF, the one that isn't FF6 :v:

Although there have been plenty of FF6 references, too (including magitek armor and even a remix of Terra's theme if you ride your own magitek armor mount), and while I haven't played the new expansion yet it looks like there are even more now. Also the main plot seems to have some Ivalice parallels.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Skyforge goes free tomorrow, I think, and it's a lot of fun.
It plays like a sci-fi Vindictus if you took out all the anime and put in hover bikes.

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.
You should checkout Eve Online. It's a fairly complicated game to get into, but a really fun and one of the best examples of emergent gameplay.

You playing with your girlfriend works well, too, since the game is much better with other people to play with ( you should still find a group that will teach you how to play the game, because often times they will provide content for you ) and you can play it as casually as you want without it impeding how you compare to other players; the game showcases a passive skillgain based leveling.
Checkout the thread if you're any bit interested in it, we've got an extremely large presence in Eve Online as well, which is pretty cool.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Stik3 posted:

You should checkout Eve Online.

Cuckoo posted:

I'm going to throw an ESO suggestion in here
:shepface:

Funny! I enjoyed these posts also:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Have you tried heroin, OP?

Boggus posted:

Wildstar sounds like the game for you!

Jackard fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 15, 2015

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I'm going to throw an ESO suggestion in here if you want something a little more Generic DnD-Fantasy Medieval esque than GW2. It also has more of a traditional MMO endgame (even though its endgame still kind of blows compared to WoW/FFXIV). It's also B2P now, and its cash shop doesn't shove lovely popup ads in your face or deprive you of absolutely vital progression content save for zone DLCs related to endgame progression.

Crafting and gathering is fun, and there's lots of incentive to explore even if it inevitably follows WoW's themeparky quest direction. The story is good, and often quests come with a choice that makes you actually think instead of mindlessly mashing the next button. The quests are also voice acted, which is cool. The graphics and music are gorgeous, and it's very immersive.

As someone in the same exact boat as you, right down to not having time to devote to MMOs but wanting that feeling, ESO has been my top choice with GW2 a close second...just because I can't get into GW2's current endgame philosophy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Cuckoo posted:

...just because I can't get into GW2's current endgame philosophy.

You mean the complete lack of an endgame?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, endgame-wise, GW2 is in a weird spot. The developers don't appear to have a team working on dungeons, and haven't really spoken about dungeons in almost a year. They promise "challenging group content" in the expansion, but it's anyone's guess what that'll actually be. They've done some work to change the way crowd control abilities work on bosses in PvE, so it's possible they haven't totally abandoned the idea of instanced PvE requiring a coordinated group; on the other hand, those changes also apply to "hero" NPCs in the new PvP mode, so it's just as possible they have basically abandoned instanced PvE and only made that change for that PvP mode.

It's probably not safe to say they have nothing planned for PvE, but they've likely learned their lesson about aggressively building hype and then not delivering, so they're sticking to vague things like "challenging group content" for now. Said content could be anything from hard mode dungeons to new dungeons to a few new stupid world bosses that are "challenging" because you're forced to work with a bunch of idiots who aren't paying attention.

At least WvW remains pretty fun, and I weirdly enjoy what dungeons are there now. It helps that it's, at its base, a pretty fun game to play.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I really enjoy The Lord of The Rings Online, things I would have called unforgivable flaws ten years ago are kind of perks now. Can't get all of my friends playing the same game, lots of the servers are low population, the game has become casual, but it's free. It's there when you want it but there aren't enough dedicated players you'll know to get you to start feeling like you owe them your appearance for raid night, it's more of a gently caress it I'll do quests and try to meet Gandalf, get some shiny swords and poo poo at my own pace type of game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Every night I pray for a DDO sequel in a modern engine.

That and a Shadowrun action RPG where jobs are set up like Vindictus or Skyforge. I just want to send out an army of drones while floating around in my enchanted jorts.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

I really enjoy The Lord of The Rings Online, things I would have called unforgivable flaws ten years ago are kind of perks now. Can't get all of my friends playing the same game, lots of the servers are low population, the game has become casual, but it's free. It's there when you want it but there aren't enough dedicated players you'll know to get you to start feeling like you owe them your appearance for raid night, it's more of a gently caress it I'll do quests and try to meet Gandalf, get some shiny swords and poo poo at my own pace type of game.

As a longtime(but essentially former) LotRO player, I only advise people to check it out if they're fans of the actual books. I really do hate to say it, but the IP is the only thing keeping it together at this point. Turbine are a poo poo company for allowing it to fall as far as it has.

Which brings me to:

Inzombiac posted:

Every night I pray for a DDO sequel in a modern engine.

That and a Shadowrun action RPG where jobs are set up like Vindictus or Skyforge. I just want to send out an army of drones while floating around in my enchanted jorts.

I'm an old school D&D nerd that's hated DDO since I first tried it. That said, Neverwinter is everything that DDO should have been, IMO. Definitely try it out if you want a fast-paced action MMO set in the Forgotten Realms.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Eve Online with Goons is not bad. They don't have a huge tolerance for drama and people get shot in the head/thrown out of the group for kicking up poo poo, and they give you a stable platform to get the most out of the game, which is good because going out on your own in Eve is a one way ticket to the painful boredom express.

You can play for free for 14 days, and there's a non-zero chance goons will dump enough isk on you in your early days that you'll be able to get another 30 days and a full account out of it for free.

That said, Eve is very much love or hate, but if you haven't tried it there's no reason not to. Just don't offer to be Space Important or do anything that obligates you to the entertainment of hundreds of others because that seems terrible and a lot of people who do, burn out bitterly sooner or later.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Brave New World posted:

I'm an old school D&D nerd that's hated DDO since I first tried it. That said, Neverwinter is everything that DDO should have been, IMO. Definitely try it out if you want a fast-paced action MMO set in the Forgotten Realms.

I like Neverwinter, but I have two gripes. 1) Gold is worthless. Everything that matters, you buy with Astral Diamonds, which you have to get through daily grind quests or profession farming. 2) Not enough skill applications. In DDO, you could disarm traps, pick locks, and other cool stuff. Here, you just go through, attack stuff, and avoid the visible traps on the walls that you only get caught by if you aren't paying attention.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Holy craps I forgot about this thread. Update!

I've been playing GW2 quite a bit, but I honestly cant find a class I really like, and I've tried all of them. It's still fun with GOON and SFD though. The lady is currently shottgunning the dragon ages on her new rig. I might try EVE, purely because its different, and hey, free trial.

Much love <3

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChickenWyngz posted:

Holy craps I forgot about this thread. Update!

I've been playing GW2 quite a bit, but I honestly cant find a class I really like, and I've tried all of them. It's still fun with GOON and SFD though. The lady is currently shottgunning the dragon ages on her new rig. I might try EVE, purely because its different, and hey, free trial.

Much love <3

What do you generally like in a class in other games? You might be able to find it in a GW2 class with a specific weapon combination--or maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Brave New World posted:

As a longtime(but essentially former) LotRO player, I only advise people to check it out if they're fans of the actual books. I really do hate to say it, but the IP is the only thing keeping it together at this point. Turbine are a poo poo company for allowing it to fall as far as it has.

Everything I've heard about that game lately makes it sound like it's dying/dead. Now I'm kind of sad I never gave it a try because a well done Middle Earth with have been pretty cool.

• Locked thread