Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

The Moon Monster posted:

Everything I've heard about that game lately makes it sound like it's dying/dead. Now I'm kind of sad I never gave it a try because a well done Middle Earth with have been pretty cool.

2015, feature wise at least, has been good to the game. We got a new region with new dungeons, nice QOL updates keep coming in, the new legendary system is more like what it should have been when Moria launched, and there's even new PvMP coming later.

The big thing is server transfers later this year - they're finally reducing servers and merging, and it'll breathe some life back into it. Several goons are waiting until this to check out the new content the past year.

LOTRO is waaaaaay past its hayday though, no doubt, but still wanted to give credit where it's due. Supposedly Turbine has the license until 2017, and they're currently bee-lining to Mordor. We all kinda expect after that, the game might shut down, but as Brave New World said - the game is an excellent representation of Middle Earth and if you dig on Tolkien at all, you should definitely join in on this single player MMO while you can and see a bit of the world. You can play until level 20-30 or so without dropping a dime to see if you want to put some cash into it for later content zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Extra posted:

Can you no longer do things like Great Barrow, Garth Agarwen, Rift, Helegrod, the Mines of Moria instances, etc? LoTRO is (was?) to me the pinnacle of well done traditional open world MMO if you have a few people to go exploring with and do all the dungeon content at a casual pace. The game is just so chock full of interesting instanced content plus a neat main story arc.

I would absolutely kill to play through the entirety of LoTRO's instance/dungeon content with a full group of people.

e: Seems they've scaled all the raids in the game to 12 people which is neat as gently caress.

Nah, all the old content is still there. Many of them scale up (unfortunately, the moria dungeons don't, pretty sure). But they quit doing any NEW classic-style raids, and no new dungeon instances for years until this latest content patch. Instead we got Epic/Big Battles which was the new group content, which had mixed reception (although the Pelagrir BB 6/12 man seems to have went over a lot better).

• Locked thread