Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

isk posted:

I interpreted it as the former.

They must have had pretty strong assurances from AMC to leave that plot thread hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The last two episodes did set them up as stinging over having spent nearly a decade trying to skate to where the puck is going that they're well aware that yet another big venture isn't necessarily going to work. Despite Joe being correct in it being the next big thing - just no one knows how and even when it will hit in 1995 it still has a long way to get to ubiquity.

Keep in mind around 1990 the idea of a web browser hasn't really come about outside of WorldWideWeb (Nexus). I think Donna is racing off to CERN to work this out and give someone VC cash to create the show's version of ViolaWWW or MidasWWW and compete against whatever comes out from Mutiny.

Donna's become Joe and she wants to beat Joe at his own game. Everyone's at an interesting situation where they're successes in their own right and have resources backing them so I suspect season 4 will be quite a bidding war.

Around that time there were a few other web browsers that stalled owing to poor cross-platform support or no funding. Also there's a hint of them running into another wall and being obliterated by Mosiac and Netscape around 1993 as the NeXT platform wasn't widely adopted or others ran off Unix or Ultrix so Mozilla's cross platforming became the norm.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Dmitri-9 posted:

They must have had pretty strong assurances from AMC to leave that plot thread hanging.
They actually didn't. If you read interviews by the creators they only knew there was a renewal right after the finale. Their logic was to put in a potential continuation breadcrumb which is what they've been doing for the other seasons.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
What is the song that AMC uses for the Halt and Catch fire commercials? It doesn't sound like the credits song.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What was the deal with the HAM radio this season?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought it was gonna be Gordon talking to himself for hours at a time

But I think the idea was the start of the season showing how everyone is trying real hard to connect with people in ways that push them away from people they're already near (Ryan leaving Mutiny to work with Joe, etc)

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Mu Zeta posted:

It was Gordon not having a purpose in life. He was a hardware guy, but couldn't figure out someone else's hardware because he was so focused on finding a purpose for his own poo poo. His own poo poo was old, tech was moving on and leaving him behind. Cameron looked at his stuff and saw where he was missing the point in 30 seconds. He got schooled, loving finally, and was open to new ideas (his network was only a small part of what WWW would potentially come to be). That's why he was open to WWW in the finale, after he was slapped in the face again that his own piddling network that he was an admin of was a single node on what they realized would be the whole internet.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WebDog posted:

Around that time there were a few other web browsers that stalled owing to poor cross-platform support or no funding. Also there's a hint of them running into another wall and being obliterated by Mosiac and Netscape around 1993 as the NeXT platform wasn't widely adopted or others ran off Unix or Ultrix so Mozilla's cross platforming became the norm.

To be pedantic, Ultrix and NeXTSTEP are both Unixes.

Edit: Also, I do wonder if they think Atari was a Japanese company, what with Cameron living in Japan now...

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 14, 2016

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Mu Zeta posted:

i thought they were getting into the whole older generations version of online chatting, HAM being the first way people could really talk to one another over long distances and doing it in such a way that people not involved thought they were looney and wasting their time. Seemed to mirror the storyline of Mutiny building a community around people just going online to talk with each other.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Capntastic posted:

I thought it was gonna be Gordon talking to himself for hours at a time

It was and he did. After that they backed off and Gordon was less sick somehow.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

wormil posted:

It was and he did. After that they backed off and Gordon was less sick somehow.

I must have missed the payoff then. Gordo's illness is a really weak plot device that some episode writers are wise to ignore.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

feedmegin posted:

To be pedantic, Ultrix and NeXTSTEP are both Unixes.

Edit: Also, I do wonder if they think Atari was a Japanese company, what with Cameron living in Japan now...
Cameron moved for Tom, and Tom works for Sega.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Was Atari still chugging along that well after the NES came out? They were playing Mario before the timeskip so I dunno what Space Bike 4 would even look like

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Capntastic posted:

Was Atari still chugging along that well after the NES came out? They were playing Mario before the timeskip so I dunno what Space Bike 4 would even look like

The atari 8 bit computers were still going strong at the time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Capntastic posted:

Atari was still in business but their heyday was over. I don't know what their balance sheet looked like but it couldn't have been good.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
https://soundcloud.com/the-watch-podcast/ep-85-the-andy-greenwald-podcast-with-christopher-cantwell-and-christopher-c-rogers - My favorite TV critic's podcast just had a nice sitdown with the 2 Christophers on their choices for S3, it's a great listen. They actually conducted it the day previous to the renewal announcement and they were still really optimistic regardless.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

TheRationalRedditor posted:

https://soundcloud.com/the-watch-podcast/ep-85-the-andy-greenwald-podcast-with-christopher-cantwell-and-christopher-c-rogers - My favorite TV critic's podcast just had a nice sitdown with the 2 Christophers on their choices for S3, it's a great listen. They actually conducted it the day previous to the renewal announcement and they were still really optimistic regardless.

Thanks for this, will check it out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Binging this show like crazy. Currently on 303. Is "every character but Donna is a totally lovely person" the general accepted feeling about this programme? Not a criticism at all, I love the show, but man.....every character but Donna is a totally lovely person. (well, Bos is cool too)

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Escobarbarian posted:

Binging this show like crazy. Currently on 303. Is "every character but Donna is a totally lovely person" the general accepted feeling about this programme? Not a criticism at all, I love the show, but man.....every character but Donna is a totally lovely person. (well, Bos is cool too)

They are just complicated

:colbert:

And it actually seems to me like Donna is the one who has the least amount of humanity by the season 3 finale.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Capntastic posted:

Look up the Atari ST. I had one as a teenager :shobon:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Luvcow posted:

They are just complicated

:colbert:

And it actually seems to me like...

He just started season 3 dude

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Mu Zeta posted:

He just started season 3 dude

Sorry, thought that was too broad and ambiguous to be a spoiler

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished 307 and drat. I was mostly with Donna but Cameron's speech during the blowout swayed me to her side. This season has been a notable improvement - I remember reading there was some huge writer turnover or something?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
After the end of the season I am all in on #teamdonna

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished the season. Definitely turned around on Donna a little by the end but it's also hard not to see it as her getting hers after years of mothering the rest of the cast. Absolutely loved the last two episodes of s3 and they set up the final season beautifully. Very glad I picked this show up.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

It was hard to watch Gordon miss all the signals in that dinner and wine scene with Donna.

Donna was lovely to offer to toss Joe under the bus, but Cameron needs to chill out too. I wonder if Donna is gonna burn bridges or if they will all end up back together eventually. I'm guessing Gordon's health is going to deteriorate and that is gong to bring them all together.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 17, 2016

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
I just hope that sometime between now and when they start working on S4 they realize how unsympathetic Cameron is. That was a really, really great season (although for nostalgia reasons S1 is still my favorite). But the writers clearly still have this idea about Cameron's character that is just incongruent for me.

I am waiting for the resolution of her character arc to be "oh, I'm a petulant, stubborn child who has no right to have gotten this far, I should grow the gently caress up" and instead she finishes every season on top by virtue of her supposed genius, which I feel the show hasn't earned yet, even after 3 seasons. Or maybe that's my bias as someone who has actually worked in this industry for a couple decades. I don't know. But its odd that in real life, I would hate Joe but I get him. I would love Gordon, and I get him. I would kill to work with someone like Donna or Boz. But Cameron bugs the poo poo out of me, feels completely manufactured and poorly drawn, and yet she is consistently the hero of this show.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 19, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ApexAftermath posted:

It was hard to watch Gordon miss all the signals in that dinner and wine scene with Donna.

To be fair he has severe brain damage.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed where Cameron ended up at the end of this season, honestly. She's matured since being in Japan. Donna did the right thing at the time, Cameron did the right thing at a later time, it sucks that both of them hurt the other in the process.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jake Armitage posted:

I just hope that sometime between now and when they start working on S4 they realize how unsympathetic Cameron is. That was a really, really great season (although for nostalgia reasons S1 is still my favorite). But the writers clearly still have this idea about Cameron's character that is just incongruent for me.

I am waiting for the resolution of her character arc to be "oh, I'm a petulant, stubborn child who has no right to have gotten this far, I should grow the gently caress up" and instead she finishes every season on top by virtue of her supposed genius, which I feel the show hasn't earned yet, even after 3 seasons. Or maybe that's my bias as someone who has actually worked in this industry for a couple decades. I don't know. But its odd that in real life, I would hate Joe but I get him. I would love Gordon, and I get him. I would kill to work with someone like Donna or Boz. But Cameron bugs the poo poo out of me, feels completely manufactured and poorly drawn, and yet she is consistently the hero of this show.

I completely agree with this. The biggest problem with seasons 2/3 is how completely enamoured the writers seem to be with Cameron. I feel like we're meant to inherently accept her view as right without the show having to do much to back it up. One example of this is during the going public argument in ep 7, she makes the argument that Mutiny will lose what makes it a community if it doesn't make fixes, and it seems clear the show prioritises her viewpoint over the others, by the way the scene is framed as "everyone fucks Cameron over". But, while her argument is sound, the only actual evidence we see for the claims she makes in the show is one 30 second scene, I think even from the same episode, where she has an unsuccessful interaction in the chatroom. I like the character overall, and Davis rocks, but we need a lil more self-awareness from her to close out her story imo.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jake Armitage posted:

...she [Cameron] is consistently the hero of this show.

Escobarbarian posted:

I feel like we're meant to inherently accept her view as right

I have never felt that way. Cameron is a petulant woman-child and the show portrays her that way. She's alternately confrontational and passive aggressive and just like in real life that is sometimes mistaken for dominance.

Jake Armitage posted:

I just hope ... they realize how unsympathetic Cameron is.

I wouldn't assume they want her sympathetic. All sympathetic characters all the time is bland writing. Look at Donna, first season everyone loved her but now she's a backstabber and corporate sell out. Season one everyone loved Joe. Season two everyone hated Joe but he's been on the path to redemption. Boz is cool now, but he started out as an rear end in a top hat who had Joe beaten to teach him a lesson. The characters go through cycles although Cameron less so, maybe next season will be her turn and you'll get your wish but someone else, probably Donna, will be portrayed poorly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The vegetarian daughter that pigs out on spoonfuls of parmesan cheese is the new worst character.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dmitri-9 posted:

For me they kind of left it in a weird place. I thought it was going to be one of those "we don't know if we get another season so this could also work as the series finale" episodes. When Donna's storyline wrapped up with her storming off to Switzerland I was kind of confused. Is she going to pull the rug out from under team Cameron somehow or is she making overtures for the project even though she wont be working with Cameron? I might be too stupid for this show.

It was fun to watch what a few years in a corporation did to Tom the hacker.

They were brutal for her too: she picked a stupid role model and is screaming on the inside because she burned down a company and alienated her husband, friends and employees.

isk posted:

I interpreted it as the former.

Weirdly, I figured the latter.

Great finale. Great show.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My impression was definitely "Donna is pissed and is now going to be public enemy #1."

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how Donna's last scene could be seen as anything other than a woman completely fueled by anger and spite.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't know how Donna's last scene could be seen as anything other than a woman completely fueled by anger and spite.

Resolve?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Resolve to destroy Cameron, maybe. She had just finished being told she was out of the deal and was basically told she was a terrible person, probably the last thing on her mind was 'how can I help these people'.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She's on good terms with Scoot McNairy. She's not gonna gently caress him over. She'll just fund a competitor but it's not like she'll directly sabotage them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Then her attempt to make things right was pretty half-assed afterall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

We're not supposed to like Cameron right? If we are than the writers have done a terrible job at making her remotely likeable. I feel like they want me to be rooting for Cameron but its the exact opposite. If Donna has to destroy Gordon and Joe in the process of destroying Cameron I wont be completely happy but I'll accept it.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 28, 2016

• Locked thread