Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So are Ningyou and FAU going to fight to the death on some mad max thunderdome for chat thread mastery? because it looked like that was about to happen for a page there and I made popcorn and everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

Wot's all this about? :stare:

Not sure what Fiona is talking about since I don't think WotC has ever been openly against or hostile to LTBTQ peeps... they did include a paragraph in the 5e phb that reads something like what your 60 year old uncle would say when he's trying to be cool about you being gay but doesn't understand what is/isn't appropriate to say

On a background level there was the pretty transparent attempt on the part of 5e devs to mollify vocal critics of new D&D editions through paying a couple leading angry voices to consult on the game and giving them thanks in the books, and said consultants also happen to be sociopathic misogynists or full on sjw conspiracy theorists

Though Pathfinder devs have been pretty vocal recently about how important exclusivity and diversity are, and a lot more nuanced and articulate too

the EIC of Paizo Publishing posted:

Thank you! Everyone should feel welcome at the game table and, in my opinion, including a diverse range of characters is the easiest way of conveying “You’re all wanted here.”

As for how being gay has influenced my writing, for a long time, I’d say it didn’t. When I was first starting to find my voice, I really tried to blend in and write like all the other people I was reading and working with—I didn’t want to be “just that gay writer.” Now that I feel like I’m more established and have an inkling of what I’m doing, I’m much more comfortable mixing things up. While I still love my dark fantasy and gothic tropes, I see the value of using multiple tools much more these days. Among those, is just the desire to mix things up and write things I haven’t seen before. Another is finding places for queerness in my work. So far this year alone I’ve written stories featuring queer vampires, a bisexual prostitute-detective, and two with male dryads. It’s not not just about getting more LGBTQ characters out there, it’s about looking at my knee-jerk decisions and thinking, “maybe my first choice isn’t the best one.” Five years ago, I might have avoided some of this. Now, screw it. Everyone doesn’t have to like my stuff, but if one person finds something that resounds meaningfully with them, then that could really matter.

It was HUGE for me when I was reading Green Ronin’s Freedom City and found Steven Kenson’s openly gay character Johnny Rocket in there. That’s the first time I saw a character in an RPG that was gay, accepted, heroic, and absolutely not some swishy sterotype. It meant a lot. If I can throw in a few characters here and there with the potential to affect even a small number of readers in the same way, that’s fantastic. And if I can share that inclination with my co-workers and other writers—both established and just starting out—all the better!

Also, I feel like over time it’s made me more open to criticism. I screw up constantly. I say dumb things. I misrepresent myself. I misspell and screw up my grammar. I stammer, trail off, and misspeak. I’ve also accepted that, despite my best efforts, I will screw up. If I say something that unintentionally offends, I’m happy to apologize and try to do better in the future. It’s easy to take criticism as an attack—and even now I often need to step away from the reaction my vulnerable inner artiste’ wants to have, but that’s how you grow as a creative. The best criticism can be “writer medicine.” It can be hard to swallow, and sometimes you need to take lots of it, but stick with it, get stronger, and eventually you won’t need it anymore (at least, for that particular ailment).

I’m sure my experience influences me in a billion other ways—like, it certainly makes me very conscious of the type of person I don’t want to be—but, I’ll leave it at that for now.

Probably helps that he's gay. He talks more about all of that here: http://wesschneider.tumblr.com/post/119315055821/thank-you-for-being-an-advocate-for-diversity-how Paizo's also used their iconics to introduce a lot of diverse ones, even a few that are gay or trans.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 14, 2015

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

inklesspen posted:

Pathfinder has had some lovely stuff in the past (half-orc origins, succubus PrCs) but they've made a lot of good moves lately around queer representation (including good representation of trans people, so far as I can judge).

It's a pity their ruleset is such a PoS.

Yeah I remember specifically someone quoted ancient Paizo drama from their forums where I think someone said "Hey could we get character art where the women aren't obejctified?" and the forums laughed at that. Sean K. Reynolds even showed up to go "lol". There might've been some other stuff too but that entire thing was in the grognards.txt that was moved to the mod only forum for stalking so i don't remember the specifics.

The good news is Sean K. doesn't work for Paizo anymore.... he's been rehired by WotC! :v:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Queen Fiona posted:

This is basically what I was trying to say, yes. At least, to my knowledge - I don't keep up with it that closely, for a variety of reasons.

I dunno. Stuff bugs me about WotC lore in general, I guess? It's probably telling that all my favorite MtG characters are female villains, and also that most of them die horribly in some fashion. (Elesh Norn aside.) But that's more a matter for Debate than the uh...stuff mentioned and such. Then again WotC's D&D team is kind of self-destructing or something, so who loving knows.

dunno enough about magic's ~metaplot~ to know how it treats female characters but the Magic Devs seem pretty concerned with being respectful and apologizing when they offense or hurt some group. I know when they found out they were doing something offensive to Maori spiritualism they took corrective action. Obviously that doesn't stop them from throwing boobplate bikinimail on a lot of their card art, but they're certainly a lot more open to listening to criticism than like.... anyone in the ttrpg scene, including their own D&D wing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
thanks for reminding me to buy Scholar of the First Sin (DS2). i was holding out for daily deals but i realized i haven't actually been checking for those at all

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

01011001 posted:

Looks like they dropped the upgrade price by ten bucks too, before it was a total rip. If it doesn't go daily/flash I'll grab it on the last day.

yeah I'll see if the normal game goes on sale for more but if not I'll grab that one since I've had to move computers like three times and apparently even loading up an imported save file in DS2 is enough to get you soft-banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Angrymog posted:

LOL. From actually care about PC hackers?

they try to but they don't really seem to understand that the entire point of hacking is figuring out how to circumvent whatever weak attempts at banning cheaters they put in place

• Locked thread