Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

My seelischer Apparat are in agreement (for once) in that they have no idea where this even started. My superego believes that given the choice they'd take ningyou over plutonis and the like, though.

They have some poo poo taste then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If Ningyou, Gunky Junket and that Enhyndra something guy that bolds and capitalizes words at random posted on the same thread I'd feel really physically ill IRL if I read it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wahad posted:

Must be tough living out in the tropics with such a frail constitution, then.

When I was interned in the hospital with a case of dengue fever I spent three days laying in a bed sweating all the liquid in my body and suffering with horrible muscle pains on the joints, legs and arms yet I wasn't as miserable as I was during the few minutes I spent reading this thread.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

they post better there

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The only good procedural was Bones, starring David "Megahunk" Boreanz.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why are there two of you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

Why is there one of you.

There is but one God.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

God has nothing to do with this.

If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Don't we... Brrrrother?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I sure as poo poo hope not.

can't choose family

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

01011001 posted:

"I'm just so tired of all these hunger games!" - Katniss

These games are making me hungry. - All the Seinfeld Cast

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

wouldn't the whole post be in tiny font then

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

K Prime posted:

I kinda want to run a star wars campaign now based on a continuity where Wash fakes his death, flees, and becomes Han Solo, resulting in Sana Solo coming after him.

Also, actual asian people.

There are Nemoidians already.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You can't funpost on this thread or post funny images otherwise the butt hurt Australian will probate you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

I'm not really sure mod sass is going to help your case.

I do what I want because I'm a free man.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Hey! Be nice to Ettin! Ettin is nice! :colbert:

I will destroy him and take his Mod star in accordance with Necromonger law, unban happyelf, etherwind and liesmith, cull the Exalted thread of those who don't love the drat product and start a thousand year utopia.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The second half of that movie was so bad. It should just be Riddick and his alien dog hunting for stuff to eat instead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Howard wrote Conan yelling at an african-like tribal chief holding a white woman hostage that black dogs shouldn't lay their hands on white women but people don't hand wring enough at Conan and low fantasy barbarian stuff as much as they do to Lovecraft and it's retarded that people keep reading stuff made by a New Englander from the early 1900s and trying to apply 20th century racial sensibilities, not to mention that a lot of Lovecraft's racism was too goofy to be even offensive (passing a white gorilla as your wife by putting shoddy makeup and claiming she is Portuguese lmao)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

I wasn't actually referring to Lovecraft antipathy as being based in his racism! More that I had antipathy toward the Mythos due to overuse and memes and such, and a general dislike of horror. But assuming that was true, vampires are a long-standing part of folklore, while the Mythos is entirely Lovecraft's invention. (Also, plenty of people are perturbed about vampire games - I was one of them, until I played Bloodlines and twigged to the undertones that drew me into such things.) One vampire story being racist, or even several, doesn't really make for a very good equivalency against one guy who was racist writing a bunch of stories about specific things.

I forgot about Sandy Peterson being a part of iD, actually, but they have a long-standing relationship with tabletop gaming (like a lot of companies at the time), with Romero in particular making heavy use of such inspirations. (Which...didn't really work out terribly well, if Daikatana is any indication.) I don't know about Greg Stafford, but I'd be happy to read a bit about him if you'd like to write it up, and I'm sure FATAL & Friends would be happy to see more Early RPG Writeups (which happen to be some of my favorites). Gygax's personality and writing style had a huge impact on the industry at the time, but a lot of older RPGs have fallen through the cracks, even if their later versions persist, thanks to the age of the works and the nature of the TSR juggernaut. I actually got to look at some old first-ed AD&D books in my high school library, and they're pretty much incomprehensible by modern standards.

I wasn't meaning to be insulting, but coming in here and being all 'HEY YOU PEOPLE ARE POSTING WRONG' is a pretty hostile thing. I'm willing to chat about things that meet my interest, and I imagine a lot of other people are - just because we're doing a bit of stuff you don't enjoy doesn't mean we can't have other discussions on the side. TGD is a diverse community, after all :3:

Except that a whole bunch of people do hand-wring at Conan, especially on TGD! I'd say people do it more for Conan than Lovecraft, likely because you can remove the racial overtones from the latter and still have most of the appeal, where the former generally is uh...less that.

Also, racism being goofy doesn't make it not racism. We can apply a certain amount of relative morality for Lovecraft, but it's still something to acknowledge rather than wholly ignore.

I have no problem with discussing race dynamics on literature, just with making that discussion overtake everything else and dismiss the authors just for that. It's a phenomenon that arrives on certain circles where you can't admit to like certain stuff without being pelted with accusations and what else. I don't care if Lovecraft would retch at the sight of a semitic-looking half-breed latino like me, I still like a lot of his works, and I still agree with a lot of Marx' theories even though he called Ferdinand Lassale something really nasty.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

howard literally wrote in a letter that he knew what burning black flesh smelled like because he went to a cross burning and like half of conan's about how black people are lower than animals. lovecraft definitely was racist but in a super academic way instead of i literally watched a man burn to death and probably enjoyed it

Good Lord.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

If Lovecraft were alive today he'd just be posting funny memes on /pol/

A fellow redpilled sir.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

I'd like to note, for the record, that the various defenses of Lovecraft in this thread have actually convinced me to entirely avoid his work if at all possible, so you kinda did the opposite of what I'm assuming you were trying to accomplish. So, y'know. There's that!

Say that to someone who gives a poo poo.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fsmhunk posted:

I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything, like it or not Chaosium and CoC are very important in the history of Traditional Games.

It inspired this, it's deffo important.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Munchkin is goddamn awesome

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Every system is for free if you are willing to look on the right places.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

I should probably just stop replying to you, but :filez: are kind of not allowed around here?

You should probably stop posting altogether but it's not like I said that he should look into piracy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Double Cross is cheapo and better than those go play it my man.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dude was Texan what y'all expected

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Its more generic than Forgotten Realms

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It is spelled 'Your'.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Are we going this route, then? Very well.

"It's".

That's a honest grammatical mistake that's easy to overlook, unlike changing your/you're, which requires mental weakness.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Auuuuu Pluplu is being bullied for being an ESL speaker, pyon~

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eh portuga sim manolo vc q devia estudar mais aew

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

What is this, Portugese-Canadian?

What ya talking aboot eh

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Did you used that word that means bread in portugal and penis on brazil

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Australians call a stinging plant that causes so much pain that people and animals straight up kill themselves to get rid of "Gympie Gympie". They have no loving right to talk about communication.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

holy dooley i got me stung by the gympie gympie tell my sheila to take care of my dingo, my didgeridoo and me ankle biters *decapitates self with boomerang *

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Down With People posted:

we actually just call it the Giant Stinging Tree most of the time

That's a much better name than Gympie Gympie because it shows how dangerous the tree is. Like no one who hears Gympie Gympie for the first time would think 'I shouldn't get near this.'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

• Locked thread