Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fau is good, moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ningyou posted:

He is good.

Oh sweet fau, so good and pure....why, i can see him so clearly in my mind's eye!

Hands clasped in prayer, his innocent heart's light making my kokoro swell and flutter and pound

Fau.........................................................is good.

so like, your posting gimmick's to ba annoying as poo poo or something right

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Doesn't Plutonis regularly frequent parts of Something Awful that are even worse with regards to casual vitriol and/or bad grammar, though? You'd think he'd be a bit more inoculated to our benign strain of the virus.

they post better there

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

01011001 posted:

I don't know about that. There's been some quality posting here that puts it to the test.

i mean i read this thread too so

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

"That was my move! She stole my move!" -Marvel, with an arrow in his throat

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

So does the tiny font indicate that you're muttering to yourself and nobody should read it?

wouldn't the whole post be in tiny font then

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

plus you act like hitler in about half of them

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

george saunders has a reading near my place tonight but i've got bronchitis and can barely loving breathe. tough choices

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ningyou posted:

would you say you feel......kim jong ill

sorry to hear tho :(

thx

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Is it a fungahl infection?

nice

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

someone bought the imp zone board game thread bad board game avs, ig ot hit as part of that. think i might change it soon

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Howard wrote Conan yelling at an african-like tribal chief holding a white woman hostage that black dogs shouldn't lay their hands on white women but people don't hand wring enough at Conan and low fantasy barbarian stuff as much as they do to Lovecraft and it's retarded that people keep reading stuff made by a New Englander from the early 1900s and trying to apply 20th century racial sensibilities, not to mention that a lot of Lovecraft's racism was too goofy to be even offensive (passing a white gorilla as your wife by putting shoddy makeup and claiming she is Portuguese lmao)

howard literally wrote in a letter that he knew what burning black flesh smelled like because he went to a cross burning and like half of conan's about how black people are lower than animals. lovecraft definitely was racist but in a super academic way instead of i literally watched a man burn to death and probably enjoyed it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

don't actually know which one's worse but yeah the fact that people wring their hands about how awful lovecraft was and give howard a pass because it's low fantasy is like, what

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Realtalk where are people doing this?

i;ve seen people do it on sa before and i've read short essays from people who defend robert howard's racism because it's just fantasy, chill out. i'll admit though, don't have any of it in front of me and i didn't see it in here. mostly wanted to bring up the cross burning thing becauise not many people know about that letter

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I have no problem with discussing race dynamics on literature, just with making that discussion overtake everything else and dismiss the authors just for that. It's a phenomenon that arrives on certain circles where you can't admit to like certain stuff without being pelted with accusations and what else. I don't care if Lovecraft would retch at the sight of a semitic-looking half-breed latino like me, I still like a lot of his works, and I still agree with a lot of Marx' theories even though he called Ferdinand Lassale something really nasty.

yeah this is basically where I am too. it's very important to acknowledge that stuff but lovecraft still wrote some of the best horror ever, howard was a master of pulp fiction and so on. good poo poo comes out of disgusting people sometimes and it's not worth throwing that out because the source is toxic as poo poo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

On the subject of essays, I'm pretty sure people do that for Lovecraft, too. It's more the bit where people give Howard a pass but not Lovecraft, which seems...unlikely? I can see the other way around, since that's kind of already happening, but.

i'll see if i can dig some of it, this was poo poo i read literally years ago though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fair warning, i'm fact checking and trying to see if i can find the source on that and coming up short. i know i read about it in the introduction to a conan collection that led off with tower of the elephant but it looks like the only way to find the primary source is to either find that collection again or sift through a 200 dollar book with dozens of his letters and nah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Appropriate use of the [sub] tag.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

01011001 posted:

It's a worthwhile ability to be able to recognize good things in a work, and to simultaneously acknowledge bad things, without the former excusing the latter or vice versa.

it otally agree. you've still got to acknowledge that poo poo though because the whole racial eugenics thing is a major theme of his work and shows up all over the place. i still like the conan books and some of the other robert howard pulp i've read for the most part, but in his personal life he was pretty much a bpiece of poo poo and that shone through in a lot of his work.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

making a pot of texas chili tonight. using a dark ale as part of it. am i part of the probleM

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

texas chili rules hard btw. that and the barbeque are like 95% of the argument for not bulldozing the whole state into the gulf

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

What kind of beans and how much franch onion soup mix did you use

none and none. begone, troll

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

holy dooley i got me stung by the gympie gympie tell my sheila to take care of my dingo, my didgeridoo and me ankle biters *decapitates self with boomerang *

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, TG, a question.

Having watched Fury Road too many times this month, I have a severe lust for post-apocalyptic tabletop.

I'm usually a Shadowrun GM, but it doesn't do that genre well. Or really anything well. D20 has never had a firearms and skill system I like. Rifts is right out.

Any system recommendations?

apocalypse world pretty much. if you're looking for something more mechanical you're basically SOL if you don't like gamma world though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm so sick of being called a sap, a sucker, a rube and a mark by people with old-timey 1920s voices!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Covok posted:

Hey, Talisman is on Steam for 1.49 USD. Anyone happen to know if it's worth it? I've heard of it before, but don't remeber if that was in a positive or negative light.

it's complete garbage in every way

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

but enough about my sex life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

• Locked thread