Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

It seems some rights are more equal than others." ~ Rand Paul.
Some rights are indeed more important than others, yes. Marriage is way up there, making money should be way further down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Do consenting adults have a right to contract with other consenting adults? Supporters of the Supreme Court’s decision argue yes but they argue no when it comes to economic liberties, like contracts regarding wages. It seems some rights are more equal than others." ~ Rand Paul.

Rand Paul, eager for the days of Lochner-era misery.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

So hey while you all are focusing on NATO and Eastern Europe, remember that in the last few months

1) the state-run Chinese newspaper ran a headline declaring that "War is Inevitable" (may 26th)

2) the new generation of Chinese officers, including new generals have never seen combat and are upset by that, and lamented the "peace disease" of current Chinese leaders pursuing commercial rather than martial dominance (December last year)

3) in a poll 70% of the Chinese population think they could win a war with America (April)

4) Chinese ships and aircraft have been buzzing their American counterparts since August of last year, provocative actions to say the least.

5) Chinese hackers have been running up and down US defense networks wearing hobnailed boots for years and have stolen all sorts of critical and classified data, which has been steadily incorporated into their military (eg stuff we still can't get right on the F-35 is up, running, and leaving us in the dust on the J-31, next generation drone technologies popping up on their prototypes)

So have a nice day

We beat the Japanese and are currently best allies with real China, pretty sure we could beat fake China it we ever wanted 500 million folks to die.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I guess I thought we were talking about with guns.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Do consenting adults have a right to contract with other consenting adults? Supporters of the Supreme Court’s decision argue yes but they argue no when it comes to economic liberties, like contracts regarding wages. It seems some rights are more equal than others." ~ Rand Paul.

Until I can sell my gay-married self into slavery, I won't truly feel free.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Munkeymon posted:

Am I the only one reading about a machine gun dogfight in a modern fighter and thinking 'haha no way you ever get that close, ace'?

No, you're not the only one - but you'd also be wrong. Regardless of how much people think that combat is going to become all-BVR, various mitigating factors, identification difficulties (not to mention stealth), and human reaction times all wind up creating dogfight situations despite engineers' best efforts. That's not to say that it hasn't become less common over time, but it still happens.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

Some rights are indeed more important than others, yes. Marriage is way up there, making money should be way further down.

I know what you're trying to say, but I disagree with your statement as it's made. There is really no reason for the government to even license marriage except that it helps to maintain the structure of society. An individual really has no "right" for the government to issue these, just that if they are issued, they are issued fairly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Says guy who did not have to sign a contract for wages

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boon posted:

I know what you're trying to say, but I disagree with your statement as it's made. There is really no reason for the government to even license marriage except that it helps to maintain the structure of society.

As opposed to every other thing the government does.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Boon posted:

I know what you're trying to say, but I disagree with your statement as it's made. There is really no reason for the government to even license marriage except that it helps to maintain the structure of society. An individual really has no "right" for the government to issue these, just that if they are issued, they are issued fairly.

You liscence marriage because its a great source of some gently caress'n money.

If you want to stop gay marriage in Bumfuck, AL, what you do is, you make each liscence cost $10k unless its sponsored by an 'approved certifying organization'. Nobody cares if gays get married when they're willing to pay 10k to Jimbob's beer belly fund

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Boon posted:

I know what you're trying to say, but I disagree with your statement as it's made. There is really no reason for the government to even license marriage except that it helps to maintain the structure of society.

And that it makes divorces way easier and almost makes unions where one person earns most or all of the money far less easily exploitative. And custody issues. And so on. I get the pure idealist idea behind "gently caress government recognizing marriage" but when it comes to practicality, I'd rather that if someone was a stay-at-home mom for 15 years while the husband earned all the money and bought all the stuff, he couldn't just evict her rear end and pay zero alimony on a whim.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Boon posted:

Why did this opinion gain prevalence as the gay marriage legalization got underway?

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Maverick noooooooooo. :smith:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think you guys are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm stating that Samurai Sanders phrasing implies that some rights are more important than others, which I don't believe to be true.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

Someone's proud of his summer reading assignment.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

DemeaninDemon posted:

Maverick noooooooooo. :smith:

I demand a scene where he punches out after an engine failure or getting hit and as he's parachuting down, he cuts the chute free and lands on top of an Iranian F-14 cockpit and takes that poo poo over.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Well flying was never as crucial to top gun as volleyball was so this should still work out okay.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I demand a scene where he punches out after an engine failure or getting hit and as he's parachuting down, he cuts the chute free and lands on top of an Iranian F-14 cockpit and takes that poo poo over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4JPVXyAJuo

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Yes Rand - we should have 'Human Resources' Laws with clear wage rules for everyone.

What else are you suggesting? That it is right to have people sign contracts where they work in direct exchange for food and shelter?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

McDowell posted:

Yes Rand - we should have 'Human Resources' Laws with clear wage rules for everyone.

What else are you suggesting? That it is right to have people sign contracts where they work in direct exchange for food and shelter?

I wish my workplace provided food and shelter in addition to a salary.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

Oh, MIGF. Let me tell you about Libertarianism....

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Oh, MIGF. Let me tell you about Libertarianism....

...they want me to be able to pay to gently caress a horse, or is that just a Newt thing?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Boon posted:

The reason is that the government regulates the legal and financial issues that come with it.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Mine does several months out of the year. It's pretty sweet.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

How old are you, roughly? I may have an opportunity for you.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

Oh oh. Military recruiter spotted.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vahakyla posted:

There were multiple fights between fighter craft in Kosovo in 1999.
Turkish and Greek F-16s that the both sides use fought in 2006.

Last decade also saw Eritrea and Ethiopia fighting it out with modern fighters, albeit they were russian-built.
Rumors have it that a Ukrainian SU-25 was shot down by a Russian fighter, but no real data.

In addition, airspace incursions have chases and duking that don't necessarily lead to all-out shooty shooty, but while the dogfighting in itself is not as prevalent as it might've been on Adler Tag over the Isles of Britain, it's not some outdated concept.

He said "involving the United States", not "between some penny ante joke squads".

The United States basically hasn't been in a position where they've had anything other than total air dominance for over forty years.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'm not that stupid, Jessie Jackson Jr

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

He said "involving the United States", not "between some penny ante joke squads".

The United States basically hasn't been in a position where they've had anything other than total air dominance for over forty years.

US Fighters fought during Kosovo in 1999.

Ultimately though, stuff involving modern craft is relevant, too, considering US Allies and buyers of its fighters.

Israeli planes also have been shooty shooty for god knows how many times but they are all hush hush.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vahakyla posted:

US Fighters fought during Kosovo in 1999.

Ultimately though, stuff involving modern craft is relevant, too, considering US Allies and buyers of its fighters.

Israeli planes also have been shooty shooty for god knows how many times but they are all hush hush.

I stand corrected then. I thought the West's involvement in the Kosovo/Bosnia/Croatia/Serbia break up was a post war peacekeeping thing. :canada:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 1, 2015

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Joementum posted:

What kernel of truth does this vague strawman hold? Is it a shot at organized labor? Raising the minimum wage? Talk about false equivalency. Maybe we could point out the disparity in bargaining power between the worker and the employer? It's actually barbaric that there are industries with no collective bargaining. If you don't support one or the other, you are supporting the "rich get richer" school of economics.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm not that stupid, Jessie Jackson Jr

Hey just looking out for the best interests of Freedom.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

The US and Cuba are going to jointly announce the opening of embassies tomorrow.

Has anyone done a listicle of all the pundits tweeting that the Obama Presidency was "over" two weeks ago?

Good lord, these past few weeks have been nuts. Kind of amazed there haven't been any mass suicides over at Breitbart or WND.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hey just looking out for the best interests of Freedom.

Despite what you may have heard, the unmedicated interests of your bipolar disorder are not the interests of Freedom.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

In regards to the public Union court case, I thought that there was a way to specify that your union dues do not go to political contributions.

Would that ruling apply here already?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sir Tonk posted:

Good lord, these past few weeks have been nuts. Kind of amazed there haven't been any mass suicides over at Breitbart or WND.

On a different note, I'm fairly amazed that there hasn't been a shooting spree against homosexuals yet.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mister Macys posted:

We still gotta sell export versions to the penny ante joke squad.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

I stand corrected then. I thought the West's involvement in the Kosovo/Bosnia/Croatia/Serbia break up was a post war peacekeeping thing. :canada:

It was. Enforcement of the UN no-fly zone.

Peacekeepers are often also enforcing said peace through hostile action.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cythereal posted:

On a different note, I'm fairly amazed that there hasn't been a shooting spree against homosexuals yet.

Too busy burning down churches and the anti-gary crowd isn't really the militant type anyway. They'd rather just deny rights than keep killing them like it's the 80's again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I think in these dark times like these...we need to look at the art of John McNaughton
Specifically

Obamanation
One Nation Under God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Too busy burning down churches and the anti-gary crowd isn't really the militant type anyway. They'd rather just deny rights than keep killing them like it's the 80's again.

I don't know what conservatives have against gary, i mean he's a slacker but he means well

Really this is just going to hurt their polling numbers.

• Locked thread