Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oh so a guy I know is running for a Georgia House seat.

He's conservative but he's also like 23 and pro-gay so it's a fair bit better than the establishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

computer parts posted:

He's conservative but he's also like 23 and pro-gay so it's a fair bit better than the establishment.

The Constitution posted:

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

As in the Georgia State Legislature.

Georgia Senate is the same laws as that but their House membership requires:

quote:

Members of the House of Representatives must be citizens of the United States, at least 21 years old, a Georgia citizen for at least two years, and a legal resident of district the representative was elected from for at least one year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

baw posted:

Why is rand paul so terrible at dressing himself. holy poo poo

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to find out he owns white socks

It wouldn't surprise to find out he dresses himself that way because he thinks its how "regular" people dress.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I think this is likely.

Walker, while boring as all hell, is basically the platonic ideal of the Republican establishment candidate. He's a blank slate, does what he's told, and is boring. He comes with the union-bustin' and university-hatin' credentials they love, too. Also, will not remind people of George Bush.

Not until the "Walker, Taxless Ranger" campaign ads start playing, anyways.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Believe me, if I run and I win, I will be the greatest representative of the Christians they've had in a long time." ~ Donald Trump

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tempest_56 posted:

We're way too early still - he hasn't had to stand up to any counter-attacks yet. He's definetly taking the early lead role from Jeb, though. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Rubio up there - Walker seems like the sort where he's going to collapse as soon as he has to face real opposition.
Considering how poorly Bush dealt with the Iraq questions he should have known were already coming, I feel like he's going to get eaten alive once primary season starts.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

MacheteZombie posted:

It wouldn't surprise to find out he dresses himself that way because he thinks its how "regular" people dress.

Considering how his primary demographic dresses, he's not off point

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Believe me, if I run and I win, I will be the greatest representative of the Christians they've had in a long time." ~ Donald Trump

"they"? What are you hiding, Donald?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Joementum posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, we may have just hit peak Trump. That's spectacular.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lotka Volterra posted:

But who's following who in that specific case?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Lotka Volterra posted:

"they"? What are you hiding, Donald?

He's obviously a worshipper of Mammon.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

computer parts posted:

Would you say that he's fiscally conservative and socially liberal?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

MacheteZombie posted:

But who's following who in that specific case?

chicken, egg, etc.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Somewhere in the Vatican some homeless person's foot was scrubbed so hard it bled.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

"Jesus was a chump! Trump 2016!"

Looking through Trump's Twitter account, and the man has a gigantic chip on his shoulder where Jon Stewart is concerned. It's positively hilarious!

richardfun fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 1, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Joementum posted:

That url makes me unreasonably furious :argh:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

richardfun posted:

Such a loser. No style. Said he was a carpenter but have you ever seen anything he built? You know who builds great, classy, elegant hotels? Trump.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Versus all those other Christian haters in Washington DC, I guess.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Joementum posted:

Trump's going after the baby boomer vote by declaring that he's "bigger than Jesus."

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Phlairdon posted:

Trump's going after the baby boomer vote by declaring that he's "bigger than Jesus."

Worked for the Beatles.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Lindsey Graham posted:

[On Democrats] you are not my enemy. You're my fellow countrymen

Well it isn't very often you see someone blow up his campaign in his announcement, but there you go.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

Such a loser. No style. Said he was a carpenter but have you ever seen anything he built? You know who builds great, classy, elegant hotels? Trump.

The man really is beyond parody. There's no way to make fun of him, other than to quote him verbatim, perhaps while affecting an accent.

What is Trump's accent by the way? Or is he the only person in the world who speaks like that?

FOXDIE
Mar 31, 2014
Holy christ.

So for people who haven't been paying attention to the Kentucky governor race this year (probably 90% of people), Matt Bevin just won the GOP primary. This is a big deal, because he ran against McConnell last year in the senate primaries, and they both talked mountains of crap about each other, and Bevin never bothered endorsing Mitch even after he conceded defeat.

But now that Bevin is the gubernatorial candidate facing Jack Conway, he's been trying to do damage control/re-write history, and say that he was in fact a huge supporter of McConnell all along.

And to make his point, he showed this incredible video at a Republican rally just a couple days ago: https://vimeo.com/129301130

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Trump is just desperately trying to attract attention to himself, as always.

His media persona and his actual self have probably been inseparably fused for years at this point; he's just a shambling husk with weird hair inhabited by the essence of Being a Rich rear end in a top hat with like no other motivations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Tonk posted:

Would you say that he's fiscally conservative and socially liberal?

No, he's pretty hardcore Christian. He just doesn't really mind homosexuals.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Aren't most immigrants to the USA Catholics though (Mexico), then again Trump like alot of protestants probably believe Catholics aren't christian... :psyboom:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

computer parts posted:

No, he's pretty hardcore Christian. He just doesn't really mind homosexuals.

Oh, so he is lambasting the rich, extolling the need to care for the poor, renouncing militarism in favor of turning the other cheek, condemning police brutality in favor of loving thy neighbor, and favoring the downtrodden and outcast of society? Makes sense he wouldn't mind homosexuals then.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Jack2142 posted:

Aren't most immigrants to the USA Catholics though (Mexico), then again Trump like alot of protestants probably believe Catholics aren't christian... :psyboom:

Donald Trump trying to play a religion card is the most hilariously in-authentic thing I've seen in years. Like its worse than Dukakis in a Tank

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh, so he is lambasting the rich, extolling the need to care for the poor, renouncing militarism in favor of turning the other cheek, condemning police brutality in favor of loving thy neighbor, and favoring the downtrodden and outcast of society? Makes sense he wouldn't mind homosexuals then.

I said hardcore Christian, not genuinely Christian.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

It's not just protestants now. A woman on facebook was rambling on about how she's Catholic, and even though she doesn't agree with every teaching of the church she's not a "christian".

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jack2142 posted:

Not for the past few years. Asians are the largest immigrant source now.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

comes along bort posted:

Not for the past few years. Asians are the largest immigrant source now.

Korean Christians are a special kind of crazy, though.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I don't see how Walker survives any attacks on his economic record, even everything else he's done notwithstanding. He campaigned on 250,000 jobs for Wisconsin and instead Wisconsin is among the worst states for far too many economic metrics. They're dead last in the Midwest for job creation come on.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Brannock posted:

I don't see how Walker survives any attacks on his economic record, even everything else he's done notwithstanding. He campaigned on 250,000 jobs for Wisconsin and instead Wisconsin is among the worst states for far too many economic metrics. They're dead last in the Midwest for job creation come on.

Well that's not sexy or exciting to talk about at all. The media would much rather focus on Bernie Sanders writing a race fantasy than some boring "economic junk".

But literally his biggest strength seems to be that even his failures aren't exciting to talk about.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

richardfun posted:

Looking through Trump's Twitter account, and the man has a gigantic chip on his shoulder where Jon Stewart is concerned. It's positively hilarious!

Clownstick Von fuckface really gets under his spray tan skin for some reason.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

GlyphGryph posted:

Well that's not sexy or exciting to talk about at all. The media would much rather focus on Bernie Sanders writing a race fantasy than some boring "economic junk".

But literally his biggest strength seems to be that even his failures aren't exciting to talk about.

Walker only has appeal with a very narrow subset of white men. Even that he might lose because he's a charisma-less bowl of mashed potatoes with zero accomplishments to talk about coming from a lily white Midwestern state. He might be competitive in the primary but Bush is absolutely the establishment choice.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Relentlessboredomm posted:

he's a charisma-less bowl of mashed potatoes with zero accomplishments to talk about

Winning the elections he's won and spinning that to a people's referendum for a more conservative, slimmer government is a message that shouldn't be scoffed at.

But I agree with the overall sentiment that he'll be one of the peaks in the GOP primary, but not the peak at the end when it matters.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Amergin posted:

Winning the elections he's won and spinning that to a people's referendum for a more conservative, slimmer government is a message that shouldn't be scoffed at.

But I agree with the overall sentiment that he'll be one of the peaks in the GOP primary, but not the peak at the end when it matters.

I don't know how he does it, let alone why, but Walker is seriously one of the least photogenic candidates I've seen in a long time. Can't think of a single photo where his facial expression doesn't imply, "oh dear I think I just poo poo myself."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
They really don't have jack poo poo for candidates this time, do they? It's amazing, really.

Not that last time was much better.

Trees, at the perfect height...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Graham is at least nice to listen to. :swoon:

• Locked thread